FOR THE RAPPERS OR IF YOU RECORD PEOPLE..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I can totally agree with everything you've said here. And, I can't even lie...since this discussion started between you and I, I've been experimenting a LOT more...and I please myself and my clientele more and more each day. After all, this business is about keeping an open mind, right? With that said, I thank you for all your input...
It's good, cuzzo.

Aug 16, 2009
If the song calls for it go for it. If the song doesn't call for it don't do it. In other words, consider the concept of the song, the vibe of the song, the equipment used to record the song and the instruments in the mix. A better mic, pre amp and better positioning may improve the persons voice, so you should consider these options as well. Where you place those tracks depends on whats already there and what you're trying to achieve, but based off what you typed you can create a "wall of sound" but you need to find out where to put everything. Take the leads and put them at 11 and 1. Take the adlib track and put it in the middle since its only one. However, if you have something in the mix that is panned a certain area and nothing on the opposite side consider panning the adlib track to the opposite side to make it more balanced. The other tracks can either be panned hard (watch out for cancellation and check your mix in mono) or you can bring them to the halfway mark.
Yea I guess I'm doing it right already. But that vocal comp thing I'm definitely gonna utilize. Thanks again man.

Apr 27, 2005
First and foremost, I'm going to have the artist spit a main, a stress, and an adlib. If it comes out sounding ok, but sounds like it needs more...I will have them add a second main to see if it thickens the vocals up any. Since I'm not going to be mixing the song RIGHT THEN AND THERE, I will save it (using option C), and work with it.

Now, I would make my decision based on how the song sounds when I mix it down. If I have 2 vocal tracks, each slightly panned to the right and left, and it sounds too busy...I'm going to try centering each track and lowering the second...and see how that sounds. If it sounds shitty, I'll mute the second...and if that sounds better, I'll delete it altogether.

There are too many things to take into consideration before I can REALLY answer this question. Does the rappers voice sound like MINE? Or does it sound like Too Short? 'Cause if the dude has that deep ass Sydal type voice, doubling it will probably sound like shit...because my voice is thick as fuck as it is. BUT, if the artist has a high pitch and his voice naturally comes out thin, something has to be done to it in order for the vocal to be up there with the rest of the track.

It also depends on what type of mic is being used. Some mics have that warm sound already and a 2nd main might not be needed. A lot of things to take into consideration in any scenario like this. Obviously, vocals recorded on an SM57 aren't going to be as thick and crisp as they would on a Neumann.
hahahhahahahhahaha. Everything Heresy said went right over your head Sydal. He tried to make it as obvious as could be and you still didn't get it!!!

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
hahahhahahahhahaha. Everything Heresy said went right over your head Sydal. He tried to make it as obvious as could be and you still didn't get it!!!
How so? There is nothing OBVIOUS about the way somebody makes a song, because everybody does it differently, and everybody takes different things into consideration.

The way Heresy would build a song and the way I would build a song are probably slightly different. Just like the way a London producer and an LA producer are going to do things a lot differently.

At the end of the day, when working with vocals, one must consider the type of voice they are working with, the type of mic being used, etc. etc. You can't say, in the same scenario as Heresy mentioned, that you would do my vocals the same as you would do Lil Wayne's vocals. There is no right or wrong answer until you're actually in the lab doing it.

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
Comping sounds like the way to go if ur chargin by the hour or doin your own shit, LOL.. I do that lightweight but need to experiment more, it really does make the most sense. Punching always sounds hella fuckin awkward too
Yea, comping is the way to go. If you're good at it, it shouldn't take too long...so it shouldn't hit somebody's pockets that hard. But it definitely fucks punching up. No matter how well it's done, punching always sounds like punching. Unless of course, the artist knows how to keep his voice and levels completely identical to the previous take.