Dr. Dre Talks “Compton” (Cover Art + Tracklist) & Why He Never Released “Detox”

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Eunuch

Thotlamic Prophet
Feb 19, 2006
Thotronto
so this isn't the official soundtrack and just him trying to ride off the movie's release?

i skimmed through, again i've never been a dre fan so i don't have much invested interest as most of you. this sounded okay to me like his previous work but nothing to hold my interest. it seems like it ran a bit long in my opinion and me growing up in toronto, dancehall/reggae has always been part of my life but that reggae inspired track really is cheesy. i know marsha is from the UK and probably of caribbean background but it just sounds goofy to me and i never liked it when it was used in the 90s too. again, i'm not into dre's music as y'all so it's probably good enough for his fans and new fans alike but not my cup of tea.

i am curious what the scrapped detox songs are going to be on now or if they'll ever see the light, being i think it was some of former aftermath artists way of getting put on the spotlight.

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

This was never supposed to be the official soundtrack. It says music inspired by the movie on all the press releases.

Some of you guys are never happy, just enjoy the music, who cares if there isnt enough Compton artists on it. There will never be another Chronic because that was 1992. This album was made for 2015. Dre isnt going to put a bunch of rapping crips and bloods on his CD. People have unrealistic expectations and are living in the past...

Last edited:

Eunuch

Thotlamic Prophet
Feb 19, 2006
Thotronto
i was just making sure because i don't follow music as much as when i was a teen and i only heard about this through this thread/siccness. some soundtracks say music from and INSPIRED from blah blah blah, so i just wanted to confirm with anyone here.

anyway, you're right that too many people are thinking way into the past in what they expect but then again THIS IS MUSIC AND IT'S SUBJECTIVE. everyone feels things differently.

the production kind of sounds like how i would of expected detox to sound like though or anything he's been putting out in general. so i'd expect people into hiphop more than i am to feel this........but not those who are die hard g-funk enthusiasts or anything expecting to sound like both chronics, which is very unrealistic. it's a matter of personal opinion in the end.

Apr 25, 2002
This was never supposed to be the official soundtrack. It says music inspired by the movie on all the press releases.

Some of you guys are never happy, just enjoy the music, who cares if there isnt enough Compton artists on it. There will never be another Chronic because that was 1992. This album was made for 2015. Dre isnt going to put a bunch of rapping crips and bloods on his CD. People have unrealistic expectations and are living in the past...
Forget what you talkin bout. He should've did it the right way by having Compton artists (young to the ogs) all over the sdtk

Apr 4, 2015
Wasn't really into it when I first listened to the album. It's definitely growing on me now after 5-6 listens. I have my favorites on this one but can play it from beginning to end without getting bored. It feels like The Chronic and 2001, every time you play it again you hear something new and different. And it feels good.

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

Disappointing. It doesn't have autotune or trap influences on it but aside from that it sounds like the average mainstream album out there.
Dre IS mainstream! His music isnt going to sound like underground gangsta rap. Again, you guys have fucked up expectations and are living in the past.
  • G funk is dead
  • Nobody besides Siccness members want to hear cali gangsta rap, that shit is dead too
  • That era in rap when we liked everything that dropped was 20 years ago
  • Rap music is no longer made for us

Yes this sucks, and I wish it was the 90's again musically but that shit was the past, time to recognize and move on...

Jan 18, 2006
Theres nothing really special about this release but cuz its Dre people blow shit way out of proportion. If it wasnt for Kendrick going off especially on that homo Drake this would have went straight to the recycle bin and i loved chronic 2001, it was so ahead of its time. This shit just sounds like some trendy bullshit and the production is not even that good except for like 3 or 4 songs.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Dre IS mainstream! His music isnt going to sound like underground gangsta rap. Again, you guys have fucked up expectations and are living in the past.
  • G funk is dead
  • Nobody besides Siccness members want to hear cali gangsta rap, that shit is dead too
  • That era in rap when we liked everything that dropped was 20 years ago
  • Rap music is no longer made for us

Yes this sucks, and I wish it was the 90's again musically but that shit was the past, time to recognize and move on...
That's not at all how it is in this case -- 2001 was moving away from G-Funk (although it still had some of it) but it was great because it had its own new original sound, and that sound was good.

I am not expecting Dre to release an album with 90s G-Funk beats -- he has never in his career gone back to a style once he has abandoned it. But I expect something original and good, or at least the latter.

This is none of those things, it's just some bland mainstream shit without any identity whatsoever. Just as the Detox singles were, even if it's better than them.

Jul 12, 2002
Its growing on me with every listen. Shit is dope. Dre is a masterful sound engineer and this album really demonstrates his true strengths
You get it.

I don't expect everybody to like it, but I think everybody has to respect it. I don't enjoy every single song on 2001 or The Chronic but those are still two of my favorite albums, so I had to remind myself it's ok if I don't feel every last song on Compton. Because it's Dre, peoples expectations of what this album should be are unrealistic.

The arrangement on most of the tracks is extremely unorthodox, yet it still flows beautifully. Every time I listen to this album I am going to notice something I didn't notice before. I think it was a wise move to just put the album out with no single because you need to listen to it as an album, and therefore it should be judged as an album and not by how bangin' the singles are.