Dr. Dre Talks “Compton” (Cover Art + Tracklist) & Why He Never Released “Detox”

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Okay you're right, the 13 year old kids who buy albums these days and know about Dr. Dre because of Beats headphones really know who CPO Boss Hogg, CMW, Daddy V, and King Tee are. The singers you named are legends that have sold millions, billions, and aren't just discussed on a message board of people this size.

Not disrespect just reality. I grew up on that era but it has it's time and place and I'm not looking to re-live it by hearing them rap about the same stuff in their middle aged state, that I heard them rap about 20 years ago.
Quit listening to music then

ESFCE

Sicc OG
Dec 4, 2004
No one knew who Snoop Doggy Dogg was when Dre put him on.
Point being, he wasn't already rapping for 20+ years with his best days behind him. and Snoop is still relevant. I mean to say why throw a bunch of nostalgia rappers on an album just cause it's a Dr. Dre album. 2001 had a few but mostly introduced new artists.

Eunuch

Thotlamic Prophet
Feb 19, 2006
Thotronto
to be honest, i'm not much of a fan of the good old doctor but you have to see the angle dude is on. he's trying to make a profit by adding who's relevant and also he wants to push new artists out. having old school artists here and there is cool but an entire album is only going to interest die hard fans. although we know the track record with signing to aftermath usually leads to nowhere if you're not eminem. i do like the album cover.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Let's see how it sounds. I couldn't care less who's on it as long as it's good.

If he really scrapped Detox because he didn't like it, that's actually a good sign -- the singles were horrible and not much of what was leaked was up to the standard set in the past either. So if he himself didn't like it, that means he has not completely lost touch with reality.

But given that this is a soundtrack and not an album, that means that the constraints on its quality he applied to it might have been looser.

Dr. Dre presents the Aftermath was not the best-forgotten disaster that it is often portrayed to have been, but it was also not The Chronic or 2001. It was basically the kind of compilation of which at least a few dozens were released in 1996 -- plenty of good tracks, because it was 1996 after all, but nothing immortal and groundbreaking.

I expect this to be that kind of album at best

reo

Banned
Feb 12, 2006
Dope music or not. How u gonna drop an album called Compton. And it isn't all Compton artists. Someone drop an album called west coast and feature all New Yorkers
it dosent even have 1 of tha top 5 artist from tha hub right now