Do Lighter Skinned people have better lives?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 1, 2006
what constitutes as a "better life"? Sure there are alot of people that prefer skin to be lighter, but theres also people that prefer skin to be darker. I honestly dont even know how people can really think like that though, that one color is better than the other. I guess being mixed gives me a completely unbiased perception on race.

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
OK I need to find the source but just like Evolutionary Psychologists have calculated that males prefer females with exactly a .70 waist to hip ratio; they also calculated that humans in general prefer people with a specific skin tone relative to the average person in there specific demographic, and the prefered tone happens to be on the light side.

So (I am making these numbers up until I can find the actual documented ones) on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being dark as night and 1 being Drew Barrymore

a - In a population where the avg skin tone was 7 the prefered tone would be 4
b- In a population where the avg skin tone was 10 the prefered would 7
and so on.

In other words, someone in Ethiopia would prefer a lighter skin tone (not the lightest) relative to the the average person in Ethiopia, but darker than the prefered skin tone in say France.

There is research to back this up, but I am having a hard time remembering which book I read it in.
^^^Find that research if you can. I would def. want to take a look at it and save it for future reference. Good responses so far, except for Larry Bird aka Coldblooded...
http://www.anthro.fsu.edu/people/faculty/marlowe_pubs/profilewhr.pdf

Nov 20, 2005
I know it has helped me out a lot, since I'm light skinned as fuck and there is a lot of racism towards dark skinned people in Mexican culture.

What are your guys' and girls' thoughts?

And please let's try and have a civil discussion with everyone stating their opinions but respecting those of others. This is a touchy subject and can always very easily get out of hand, but I trust the forum...

PS: I am NOT referring to race or ethnicity or nationality, simply skin color. So please take that into account when discussing this issue...
yes.

~k.

Apr 8, 2005
what constitutes as a "better life"?.QUOTE]

I think she meant "The American Dream."

If that is the question, then I would say yes. But a better life in general, as i see it, no.
the american dream means something different to everyone. and the only reason lighter people seem to get it more is cause they make up the majority.

Sep 28, 2002
In Nepal they treat treat you like garbage if you have dark skin you can't get what decent work there might be if you come from a lighter skinned family and end up born with darker skin they might just throw you away with the trash. Its like that in a lot of places, my buddy from Dominican Republic says every body over there tries to marry somebody lighter skinned than them.

Fucked up shit.

As far as phenotype determining mating selection in humans I vaguely remember a study where they took sweaty tee shirts off dudes and asked chicks which scent they preferred it came out that they where more turned on by the scents of the more genetically different dudes or something.

Apr 8, 2005
In Nepal they treat treat you like garbage if you have dark skin you can't get what decent work there might be if you come from a lighter skinned family and end up born with darker skin they might just throw you away with the trash. Its like that in a lot of places, my buddy from Dominican Republic says every body over there tries to marry somebody lighter skinned than them.

Fucked up shit.

As far as phenotype determining mating selection in humans I vaguely remember a study where they took sweaty tee shirts off dudes and asked chicks which scent they preferred it came out that they where more turned on by the scents of the more genetically different dudes or something.
i heard about that, i think it was like, the dudes whos faces matched up in the computer program that tested how symmetrical their face was, had the shirts that the girls chose, i could be wrong

Oct 16, 2006
mylot.com
kinda true. Like I kno 1 girl I went 2 school with, every time sum would mention her name, they'd have to bring up the fact that she's "dark as night." kinda funny, but after a while it gets old. Then, there was another girl, Filipino, who was on the swim team or something in high school, and she quit mid-season. "Why?" I asked her... She said it was because her dad made her leave the team because he told her that she was getting "too dark." I kno in Filipino culture, it's considered a disgrace to be darker. Like over in the Phillipines, there's a "race" of people or w/e u wanna call it, that have been forced to move to the mountains and stay away cuz they're dark and cursed and all this other bullshit. And that carries over to most older Filipinos' way of thinking over here in America too. Most of the older 1's would seem to hate/discriminate against me or talk behind my back in Tagalog just cuz I'm black. And they teach their children this and it's a whole cycle of racism that keeps going on, and on, and on. It's kinda upsetting how people can still think like this, but hey, the world is a fucked-up place with fucked-up people.

Oct 16, 2006
mylot.com
I wouldn't say so.....but then again I am only speaking for myself. I'm always not light enough or not dark enough depending on who you talk to. white people ask me if I can speak english or when I came to this country. black people call me white boy. latinos tend to accept me more until they say something in spanish and I'm like "huh?" then I get the gringo or you don't know "your own language". I tell them all fuck off and proceed to fuck their girlfriends.
I'm kinda the same. It depends who u talk to. This doesn't happen to me as much now, as it did when I was older, but white people would think I'm hella black/dark and black people would see me and try to cast me off as whiter since my skin-color is kinda caramel. I guess that's y I always had more Mexican homies. They never really seemed to care that much. It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess.

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
Its funny no one really brought up how much gender plays a role in this whole discussion. I think lighter skinned women tend to have better lives...I don't mean as in more money or anything material. I mean they tend to have an easier time growing up. When I was a kid I remember all the darker chicks getting dogged all the time, fucking up their self-esteem.