Dana White: Chuck Liddell is retired

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 10, 2002
I wasn't saying he would fight Randy, I was just comparing the situation to Randy.

He retires, sits out for a while, then comes back to huge pay per view numbers.

They'd need a good fight for him though.

Feb 7, 2006
I wasn't saying he would fight Randy, I was just comparing the situation to Randy.

He retires, sits out for a while, then comes back to huge pay per view numbers.

They'd need a good fight for him though.
I was not getting at you like that I am just saying a fourth fight make no sense to me. Maybe Chuck should try out heavyweight. I could see the ufc giving a low level Heavyweight so he can get his confidences back up.

Mar 18, 2003
I was not getting at you like that I am just saying a fourth fight make no sense to me. Maybe Chuck should try out heavyweight. I could see the ufc giving a low level Heavyweight so he can get his confidences back up.
I think its apparent what has become of Liddell, that being his ability to take a punch, and not so much his ability to deliver one. That being said, there is not a division where he will be able to avoid this. Sure, he can take out some low level fighters at either of the said devisions, but we're talking about wages and not titles. I would love nothing more than him to go out with a win or two, be it against mediocre opponents, but at what cost? What if he lost to a scrub as opposed to a contender.. I hope he takes an exec. job.

PS: I agree with the 4th fight, it would acomplish nothing but $$$.

Jan 10, 2008
Exactly^^^

It is painfully obvious his body doesnt comply anymore he said it himself on saturday and if i remember correctly after the Sugar fight he said he would fight as long as his body would let him. so theres your answer. Just a slight loss of reflexes can make all the diference in the world especially the way chuck likes to stand up and bang it out with these kids that are decades younger than him.

Jan 10, 2008
Rashad Evans talks to Fighthype.com about Chuck Liddell first round knock out loss to Shogun Rua at UFC 97 this past weekend:

“I think (Chuck) should retire! I felt so bad for him to see him go out like that. He is a great person and a legend and when you see that as a fighter, you get a small glimpse of your own demise in the sport. There were no changes (in his style). I knew that before the fight because an inside source told me that it was just a front. It’s too late for him. His reactions and ability to take punishment are gone and you could never get that back…He deteriorated so fast, it’s not even funny … You have to wonder if he is on the border of a medical problem.”

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
Yes he lost his ablity to take a punch, watch his other fights, like his first fight with rampage, page tee'ed off on him, and didnt knock him out, the human body starts to break down from abuse.

Feb 12, 2004
Yes his lose of ablity to take a punch, watch his other fights, like his first fight with rampage, page tee'ed off on him, and didnt knock him out, the human body starts to break down from abuse.
Yup same shit thats happening to Wanderlei, big Nog and more to come. The brain can only take so many concussions and the more you get the easier they come. Chuck was never the same after the Rampage fight. He's been dropped in every single fight since then.

Jan 10, 2008
You can also add Randy Couture to the list of never being the same after being KOed. If it can happen to Nog, Randy and Chuck it can happen to anybody they were known as having great chins. The next great chin to go will probably be my boy Dan Henderson. Not by Bispbing gay ass though.

Feb 7, 2006
Dana White says it will be “war” if Chuck Liddell doesn’t retire

In a new interview with InsideFighting.com, UFC President Dana White has reaffirmed his desire for former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell to retire after sustaining his fourth loss in his last five fights last week at UFC 97.

White was outspoken about his feelings regarding Liddell’s future immediately after his long-time friend suffered a first round TKO loss to Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and days later still remained adamant about his preference for Liddell’s next career move.

“Chuck Liddell is stupid rich,” White began to tell Inside Fighting. “Chuck Liddell is done. He’s got nothing left to prove. He’s the most famous guy on earth. I love him like a [expletive] brother and I don’t want to see him get hurt. There is no reason for it.”

White continued by expressing his belief that at Liddell’s age, a comeback is simply not likely.

“He’s [expletive] forty years old man,” proclaimed White. “These guys that are fighting now are young, explosive, fast [expletive] kids who are well rounded mixed martial artists. There’s no [expletive] reason for Chuck Liddell to be out there at forty years old still fighting. I don’t want to make a [expletive] nickel off that ever.”

Liddell reportedly has one more fight left on his UFC contract, but it appears that White doesn’t want to leave the choice of whether he should continue to fight in Liddell’s hands.

“Believe me, it will be a [expletive] war if he tries not to retire, believe me,” he said. “I love him. He helped me build this business. We started when he was making five hundred and five hundred. And we had the dream of him becoming a big star and winning the title and making all kinds of money… We did it all man. We [expletive] did it all. We did it. We did it. It’s [expletive] over. He’s forty years old, it is over.”

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
Even mark hunt got ko, and he took fucking cro cop kicks to the chin, cro cop is another fighter past his prime, and he is only 34.

Feb 25, 2006
don't know why Dana is so passionate that Lidell retire..i do agree that he should hang em up..but it seems like Dana is over-hyping this up as a business move, just so Lidell will take that last fight on his contract, which equals $$ on PPV..just a thought

Jan 10, 2008
I wonder if making him retire while he still has one more fight on his contract gives him some type of control over Chucks future so he dosent go anywhere else. I am not sure but it seems like a punkass Dana move. The bottom line is you cant retire another man especially a legend like Chuck it just shows how big of a ego Dana has. I do think he should retire though