Dana White: Chuck Liddell is retired

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
MONTREAL – One of the most storied careers in mixed martial arts has come to a close.

According to UFC President Dana White, longtime UFC fighter Chuck Liddell, who suffered a first-round TKO loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in the co-main event of Saturday's UFC 97 event, is retired from fighting.

"He's a huge superstar, and we could still sell lots of tickets (with Liddell)," White said. "But I don't care about that. I care about him. I care about his health, and it's over, man. It's over."

The loss to Rua was Liddell's fourth in his past five fights and the third to come via knockout in that span. Although Liddell said he retooled his training camp, and though some of those new skills were on display on Saturday at Montreal's Bell Centre, Liddell still suffered the career-ending loss.

Much of the buildup for UFC 97 focused on Liddell's potential retirement. As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported last week, White had been adamant that a loss for 39-year-old Liddell would mean retirement. He softened that stance at a pre-UFC 97 press conference, possibly because Liddell said he still had a few fights left in him.

Following Rua's TKO victory, though, and after Liddell left the post-event press conference, White again spoke definitely.

"How we built this company – using boxing as the blueprint – (and we) don't let guys hang around longer than they should," White said. "I was pushing for retirement. He's my friend, I love him, and I care about him. We sat down (prior to UFC 97). We had a two-hour talk. He wanted to do this (fight). I said, 'If you take this seriously – if I hear you're in one [expletive] nightclub, if you're not training, if you're not doing this, doing that – it's over. That's it. He said, 'No, I'm taking this seriously.'

"And he did. He kept his word. He was in great shape. He came out guns slinging like he does, but that was it. If that (fight) was a toe-to-toe war and he got flashed (knocked down) a couple times and it went to decision, he'd still be retiring too. He'd still be retiring."

White said the decision is all the easier when considering all that the former UFC light-heavyweight champion has accomplished. White continually states that Liddell is the highest earner in MMA history and the biggest star the sport has ever seen.

"I don't want him to fight anymore," White said. "He [expletive] doesn't have anything to prove. Nothing to prove. He doesn't have to prove anything to me or the rest of world. He has [expletive] loads of money. There's no reason for it. ... I don't care how much he draws. I don't want to see him get hurt."

Liddell attended the post-UFC 97 press conference, a rarity for high-profile stars who suffer losses in their fights. White said it's just the type of person Liddell is. But maybe Liddell just wanted to say goodbye – without officially saying goodbye.

When asked if he had entered the cage for the final time, Liddell was at first noncommittal but later admitted it was probably true.

"Yeah, that's probably the case," Liddell said. "I'm not going to make any decisions until I go home to talk to everybody, talk to my people and my friends. ... But it's probably safe to say (I'm retired)."

The news will likely hit the MMA world hard. Despite his 1-4 record since his final title defense over Tito Ortiz at UFC 66, Liddell remains a fan favorite, a proven par-per-view draw, and an international icon for the sport.

"Fight fans love guys who are real fighters, and you will never in your [expletive] life meet a more real fighter than this guy," White said. "He didn't want to stop. He didn't want to quit. He wanted to take another run at the title. He loves to fight."

Liddell retires with a 21-7 record, including a 16-6 mark in the UFC. His 16 wins in the organizations remain a UFC record.

Lidell, who turned pro in 1998, made his MMA and UFC debut at UFC 17. He won the UFC's light-heavyweight title in 2005 and made four consecutive title defenses before losing the belt to Quinton Jackson in 2007.

According to White, Liddell will remain with the organization, though an exact role has not been determined. However, White said Liddell will likely be involved in the organization's public relations, including the push for MMA legislation in the few remaining U.S. states where the sport is not currently regulated.

"He'll always have a home here," White said.

May 17, 2004
chuck is a legend. plain and simple. it seems like you either love him or hate him though.

the guy loved to fight and called being an mma fighter the best job in the world. and for being a superstar he had no ego and was always receptive to fans that came up to him in public places. thanks for the highlights.

Dec 9, 2005
I never liked his boxing stance (leaving the hands down), but his get up skills and avoiding take downs and his overhand rights were the shit.
Well, his style is more of a counter punching style, where he would circle backwards and try to lure someone into throwing that left. Then he would hit them with that unconventional but effective half hook over the top, and usually it would be curtains.

Mar 18, 2003
Watching him lose to Rampage and Rashad was heartbreaking. But honestly, this last fight I really had no expectations. I just hoped for the best and accepted the fact that there is a good possibility he was going to get knocked out. Truely a great fighter and a legend of the sport.

Respect to Chuck for stickin up for Anderson Silva during the post fight press conference
What was he saying? Do you have a link anywhere?

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
we will probley not see a 205 pounder with 1 hand knock out power like him again for along time.

May 10, 2002
What was he saying? Do you have a link anywhere?
Go to the MMA tab on ESPNs page. They should have the press conference there there somewhere. That's where I saw it.

Some reporter was asking dumb reporter questions to Silva's camp and Chuck just jumped in and defended him

Feb 12, 2004
we will probley not see a 205 pounder with 1 hand knock out power like him again for along time.
I would say Rampage, but you're right. He has knock out power in BOTH hands.

Anyways I hate to see Chuck go out like this. I feel like Dana is forcing his retirement. Even tho Chuck isn't what he used to be I still feel he has some fights left in him.

Jan 10, 2008
^^^ i was thinking the same thing or maybe let him and Randy go at it for the fourth time i think Chuck was one more fight under his current contract with the UFC