COPWATCH

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz

Ex-MCSO Deputy Allegedly Had Drugs in Evidence Bags in His Garage

According to court documents, deputies found "possible drugs" at Armendariz's place, including pot, meth, heroin, and LSD. These finds were made after Armendariz called 911 Wednesday night to report a burglar in his house -- a burglar that didn't exist.

Armendariz told the deputy he thought the burglar was hiding in a box with his Christmas tree on a shelf in his garage. The deputy went to grab the box and noticed an MCSO evidence bag containing a metal pipe and a bag of weed on a lower shelf. There was no burglar in the Christmas tree box.

more here

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz

Ex-MCSO Deputy Allegedly Had Drugs in Evidence Bags in His Garage

According to court documents, deputies found "possible drugs" at Armendariz's place, including pot, meth, heroin, and LSD. These finds were made after Armendariz called 911 Wednesday night to report a burglar in his house -- a burglar that didn't exist.

Armendariz told the deputy he thought the burglar was hiding in a box with his Christmas tree on a shelf in his garage. The deputy went to grab the box and noticed an MCSO evidence bag containing a metal pipe and a bag of weed on a lower shelf. There was no burglar in the Christmas tree box.

more here

Ramon "Charley" Armendariz, 40, apparently hung himself.
Law enforcement officers had been to his home four times in the past nine days. Armendariz was supposed to get an ankle monitor Wednesday but never showed up to get it.
MCSO ex-deputy involved in standoffs kills self

Nov 24, 2003
F @Fucky McFuckerson
@
Nuttkase @Nuttkase
2-0-Sixx @2-0-Sixx

Report cites plunge in SPD enforcement of low-level crime

By Steve Miletich
Seattle Times staff reporter

Seattle police enforcement of lower-level crimes, traffic offenses and infractions dropped dramatically in recent years as officers displayed less willingness to actively seek out illegal activity, according to a department report released Wednesday.

Although the reasons remain unclear, the steep decline came during a period of intense scrutiny of the department over use of force, a federal consent decree requiring sweeping reforms and shifts in prosecution and enforcement standards.

But the startling numbers presented at a meeting of the Community Police Commission — including a 49-percent drop in misdemeanor crimes filed in court between 2005 and 2013 — set off alarm bells at City Hall.

“The preliminary statistics in the Seattle Police Department’s presentation to the Community Police Commission today are deeply concerning to me,” Seattle Mayor Ed Murray said in a statement after the presentation. “They appear to support what many in the community have told us from firsthand experience: that, over a relatively small number of years, there has been a steep decline in proactive enforcement activity in Seattle.”

Neither Murray nor other officials suggested officers might be deliberately declining to enforce laws, a practice known as “de-policing” that has been the subject of broad speculation, anecdotal discussion and a topic in the rank-and-file’s union newspaper.

Murray also expressed concern that the enforcement that is occurring is having a disparate impact on minorities.

“The report also suggests people of color disproportionately make up those who are frequently cited or arrested for certain types of crimes or violations, although we still need a more thorough understanding of what exactly this raw data reflects,” his statement said.

According to the report, African Americans and Native Americans were booked into the King County Jail in 2012 at significantly higher rates than their respective percentages of Seattle’s population.

The data came to light as part of the Police Department’s voluntary collaboration with the commission and its pioneering effort to reduce disparities in enforcement.

The findings, Murray said, deserve more investigation by his office, the Police Department and the Community Police Commission, a citizen body created in the aftermath of a 2012 settlement agreement with the Department of Justice to curtail excessive force and discriminatory actions in the Police Department.

In a statement released later in the day, the Police Department said: “The Department owes it to both residents and officers to provide clear expectations, training and equipment necessary to perform policing that is constitutional and within policy.”

The report focused on misdemeanors, noncriminal infractions and traffic offenses, which force officers to use their discretion far more often than with felonies.

The numbers were outlined in a presentation by Bob Scales, a department compliance official, who showed that while service calls had increased by 9 percent between the first quarter of 2010 and the same period this year, independent “on-view” action, when officers initiate activity, had dropped by 44 percent.

Officers spent 8 percent of their time during the first quarter of this year initiating activity, compared with 15 percent during the same period in 2011, 9 percent in 2012 and 13 percent last year.

Comparing the first quarter of 2010 with the same period this year, officer checks of suspicious people and vehicles dropped about 80 percent, along with steep reductions in traffic and parking violations.

Bookings into the King County Jail fell 51 percent between 2006 and 2013, according to the data, even as the number of patrol officers remained steady.

Between 2007 and 2013, infractions filed in Seattle Municipal Court fell 71 percent, covering unlawful activity such as liquor violations, public urination and noise problems.

More recently, the city has sought to steer some offenders into alternative treatment programs, and the drop in criminal charges might be reflective of changes such as prosecuting fewer prostitutes in favor of customers.

Police also are diverting some arrested for prostitution into social-service programs rather than referring them for prosecution, as well as in low-level drug crimes.

Lisa Daugaard, co-chairwoman of the Community Police Commission but speaking in her role as a public defender, called the information complicated and said it needs to be carefully analyzed before reaching conclusions.

She said multiple causes could be behind the numbers and that some of the reductions stemmed from laudable changes.

“It may not be de-policing in any simple sense,” Daugaard said, noting that some of the downturns occurred before the Police Department came under public and federal scrutiny.

A commission member, Kate Joncas, president of the Downtown Seattle Association, said the results of the report confirmed suspicions.

“We’ve had a sense in downtown for a couple years now that things just were not right,” she said.

Apparently because of the federal scrutiny, some officers “seem to observe more than engage” when dealing with problems such as encampments and open-air drug markets, Joncas said.

Ron Smith, president of the Seattle Police Officers’ Guild, said officers were reacting to two factors: Justice Department issues surrounding misdemeanor enforcement and new charging standards in the City Attorney’s Office.

Officers are getting the message to put a lower emphasis on misdemeanors, he said.

“We have officers working smarter now,” Smith said.

Steve Miletich: 206-464-3302 or smiletich[USER=2691]@Seattle[/USER]times.com. OnTwitter S @Steve miletich

http://mobile.seattletimes.com/story/today/2023610869/track-ip_news_lite-1.2.2-./

Nov 24, 2003
They should feel lucky that Seattle is a relatively safe city to being with. However, criminals will heighten their activity if they know cops arent actively looking to stop them.

Yeah there really are multiple things to take into consideration, and like it was pointed out earlier, the crime in Seattle (relative to other large cities) is far from violent in nature. I definitely am thankful our city doesn't have the violent issues seen in other cities around the country.

But with the way things have been going lately, I honestly, genuinely feel like I could drive downtown right now, run through a red light, park my car in a no parking zone, get out of my car, take a shit on the sidewalk, crack open a beer, then smoke some crack (yummm crack) while I yell at people for blinking.......and no one would do anything.

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
Yeah there really are multiple things to take into consideration, and like it was pointed out earlier, the crime in Seattle (relative to other large cities) is far from violent in nature. I definitely am thankful our city doesn't have the violent issues seen in other cities around the country.

But with the way things have been going lately, I honestly, genuinely feel like I could drive downtown right now, run through a red light, park my car in a no parking zone, get out of my car, take a shit on the sidewalk, crack open a beer, then smoke some crack (yummm crack) while I yell at people for blinking.......and no one would do anything.
Seattle parking enforcement would swoop in and give you a ticket lol they're pretty good at that

Jul 12, 2002
Now you got me thinking, do i have a warrant from all them gotdamn tickets they gave me 14+ years ago?
If nothing shows up on your credit report I would think you're in the clear. Parking tickets, at least where I live, are handled differently from traffic tickets. The worst thing that can happen here is they send your balance to collections and then maybe if that fails they can sue you. I'm not sure if it's like that everywhere else though. That would be super lame to get arrested over parking tickets.

May 9, 2002
Tickets NEVER go away. You need to pay them off or they will continue to effect your credit. I had a j-walking and littering ticket (you can probably deduct how this occured lol) on my credit for 7 years and didnt even realize it. And no, they never fall out of statute. Anything government based will stick to you for life.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
Video: Justified Or Wrong?: Salinas California Police Officers Fatally Shoot Man In Cold Blood Claiming He Had Lunged At Them With Garden Shears

[WSHH]70187[/WSHH]

Investigators said a woman called 911 after seeing a man in her backyard holding scissors. She said the man tried to break into her house, threatened to kill her and attacked her dog. An official statement from the Salinas Police Department also noted that the man exposed his genitals in a sexually explicit manner and made sexually suggestive comments to the woman. When police arrived, they found the man in the street armed with garden shears. After repeatedly ignoring officers' instructions to put the shears down, an officer attempted to fire a stun gun at the man, but the gun misfired. The department's statement noted that, "As the suspect continued to ignore the orders of the officers, the suspect retrieved the gardening shears from his backpack. "In an aggressive fashion, the suspect swung the gardening shears at the officers who were standing in close proximity and in danger of being stabbed or slashed. In response to this threat, two officers fired their weapons at the suspect."