C-Murder Sentence To Life In Prison (Of 2nd Degree Murder)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 1, 2006
This trial was fucked from the jump-off. I cant comment on his guilt or innocence, but this wasnt a fair trial as far as I understand it. Here's some more information. Click the link for pics and other links...

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/08/cmurder_verdict_1.html

C-Murder guilty of second-degree murder after topsy-turvy jury action
by Paul Purpura and C.J. Lin, The Times-Picayune
Tuesday August 11, 2009, 6:40 PM

Corey "C-Murder" Miller was found guilty of second-degree murder Tuesday afternoon by a Jefferson Parish jury, and this time the verdict will stand.
Susan Poag / The Times-PicayuneGordon Winter, 9, nephew of Corey 'C-Murder' Miller, listens while family members talk to reporters about the guilty verdict Tuesday outside the Jefferson Parish Courthouse in Gretna.

See all of today's C-Murder trial photos

The jury went out with instructions from Judge Hans Liljeberg on Monday at 11:20 a.m. and returned with a verdict more than 24 hours later after spending Monday night sequestered in a motel.

Miller, 38, was accused of killing Steve Thomas, 16, inside the now-closed Platinum Club in Harvey early on the morning of Jan. 12, 2002.
Steve Thomas

At least 15 police officers were in the room when the verdict was announced. At the defense's request, the jury was polled and the vote was revealed to be 10-2 in favor of conviction. Ten of 12 votes are required for a second-degree murder conviction.

Unlike earlier today, Liljeberg said the verdict is a legal one.

"The court finds that this is indeed a legal verdict," he said.

"I know this was a tough case," Liljeberg added.

Miller faces a mandatory life sentence in prison. The court will return Friday morning, when a date will be set for the sentencing hearing.

Back story

C-Murder timeline

"Thank God it's all over," Dolores Thomas, the victim's mother, said after the verdict was announced. "Now we can rest, and my baby, too."

Miller's family was outspoken in its reaction to the verdict.

His sister, Germany Miller, was screaming outside the parish courthouse in Gretna after the verdict came down, yelling that Jefferson Parish is corrupt.

"Corey did not kill that boy," said Maxine Miller, his grandmother. "I raised all my children in church. They want to treat them like criminals. ..."

"The jurors didn't do right," she added.

The verdict came about 1:40 p.m., after a confusing morning when the jury returned to the courtroom just before 11 a.m. with a guilty verdict. However, Liljeberg said that verdict was invalid because he believed one juror may have changed his or her vote just to end the deliberations. He sent the jurors back for more deliberations.

The court returned for a short session around 11:20 a.m., during which defense attorney Ron Rakosky moved for a mistrial, saying that Liljeberg had pressured the jury into reaching a verdict. Liljeberg denied the motion.

"I don't think I pressured them at all," Liljeberg said.

Earlier today, jurors complained about one member of the jury who was sleeping during some of the deliberations and was quoting from the Bible at other times. She asked to be excused from the jury, but Liljeberg denied her request.

It is not clear if that is the same juror that Liljeberg says may have changed her vote under duress.

The jury had four choices: not guilty; guilty of second-degree murder; guilty of manslaughter, which carries up to 40 years in prison; and guilty of negligent homicide, which has a sentence of up to five years in prison.

The jury of seven women and five men heard from 17 witnesses over three days.

The defense rested Friday afternoon, and court resumed Monday at 9 a.m. with a motion for a mistrial, which Liljeberg denied. After closing arguments from both sides, Liljeberg instructed the jury before deliberations began. After nine hours of deliberations Monday, the jury was sequestered in a West Bank motel before resuming deliberations this morning.

Miller had previously been convicted of second-degree murder in the Thomas shooting, but that conviction was thrown out, leading to the retrial. In May, he pleaded no contest to two counts of attempted second-degree murder in a Baton Rouge case under a plea deal.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
Very sad for Corey. but only God knows what really happened.

"Corey did not kill that boy," said Maxine Miller, his grandmother. "I raised all my children in church. They want to treat them like criminals. ..."

That may be true, but it doesnt mean that we go away from what we were raised in. However, this has pretty much ruined my day.

Jan 6, 2006
that judicial system down south seems corrupt... this whole case seemed suspect, and didnt look fair at all for C. they need to take this trial somewhere else instead of the same place as the first one.....

Jun 10, 2002
Damn I think they already had it in there minds he was gonna be guilty, but what trips me out is when alot of juries deadlock they let the person off so what the fuck made c-murders case so different. I hope shit works out for him in the end because its fucked up to spend the rest of your life locked up for something that you didnt do

Feb 1, 2006
Damn I think they already had it in there minds he was gonna be guilty, but what trips me out is when alot of juries deadlock they let the person off so what the fuck made c-murders case so different. I hope shit works out for him in the end because its fucked up to spend the rest of your life locked up for something that you didnt do
I'm pretty sure Lousiana + Oregon are the only 2 states where juries don't have to be unanimous, it only has to be 10-2. The problem with this trial was it was 9-3 and some of the majority group of jurors were screaming at the 3 holdouts until one changed their mind and they could go home. Which is what happened. Its messed up.

They should have moved the trial, no way C. Miller was getting a fair trial in Jefferson Parish. For those that don't know it, they elected David Duke (KKK) as their state rep. not too long ago (for fuck's sake).

Mar 13, 2004
yeah sad for both falilies ... and it probably didnt help that his rap name is C-MURDER !! rappers choose your names wisely .... you never know what kind of situation youll be faced with !!

Feb 1, 2006

Corey 'C-Murder' Miller's family members talk to reporters after the guilty verdict Tuesday.

Steve Thomas

'C-Murder' juror describes chaotic deliberations
Posted by pdevlin August 11, 2009 22:20PM

In declaring rapper Corey "C-Murder" Miller guilty of murder Tuesday, a Jefferson Parish jury struggled for more than 13 hours over two days and nearly grounded the case in a mistrial after the judge rejected one verdict and deliberations degenerated into yelling, crying and "people getting violently sick and vomiting," in the words of one juror.

In a 10-2 vote, the minimum for a second-degree murder conviction, the jury found that Miller shot Steve Thomas once in the chest as the teen lay on his back while being beaten by the rapper's friends in the now-closed Platinum Club in Harvey on Jan. 12, 2002.
Steve Thomas

The contentious decision came nearly three hours after Judge Hans Liljeberg of the 24th Judicial District Court rejected the panel's earlier guilty verdict that he said was invalid because one juror may have changed his or her vote just to end the deliberations. Around 1:40 p.m., the jury said it had reached a decision.

Miller, 38, will be sentenced to mandatory life in prison on Friday.

It was the second time Miller was convicted in the case. After a unanimous jury found him guilty on Sept. 30, 2003, then-Judge Martha Sassone later awarded Miller a new trial months later. The state Supreme Court upheld the decision in March 2006, setting the stage for a second trial.

As Tuesday's verdict was announced shortly before 2 p.m., Miller dropped his head. Outside the Jefferson Parish Courthouse in Gretna, his family cried aloud, accusing the judicial system of corruption.

"All this corruption they do in Jefferson Parish, " Miller's sister Germany Miller screamed repeatedly. "We'll have the last victory. Justice will be done."

"It was a corrupted trial," Miller's aunt Marie Miller said. "It's not fair from the beginning."

They assailed Liljeberg for pressing the jury to continue deliberating despite an impasse and the specter of a hung jury, which would have led to a third trial.

"The judge was putting too much pressure on the jury," Marie Miller said.

No pressure, juror says

But one juror who asked not to be identified "for her safety" said she felt that the judge was fair and that at no time did the jury feel pressured by Liljeberg.

"He did his job, he warned us this is going to be a very difficult process," the juror said. "I can say that on behalf of the entire jury, we never felt pressured, none of us, by the judge, not one."

The jury heard three days of testimony last week. By the time deliberations began Monday morning, nine of the 12 jurors already believed Miller was guilty, one vote short of a legal verdict, the juror said.

In the jury room, the jurors who believed in Miller's guilt tried to convince any of the three others to change their vote, which resulted in "a lot of yelling, a lot of arguing and a couple of people getting violently sick and vomiting," the juror said.

"It definitely took a toll on us," she said.

She said they unanimously discredited the defense's four witnesses because they all placed Miller at different parts of the club, and because none of them showed up in person to testify. Ron Rakosky, Miller's attorney, was forced to use their recorded testimony from Miller's first trial. Most jurors believed that the prosecution "tore them to shreds" upon cross-examination six years ago, she said.

Most jurors also thought the state's two key witnesses, Darnell Jordan and Kenneth Jordan -- who are not related -- were credible. Of the state's 13 witnesses, they were the only ones who testified they saw Miller shoot Thomas.

Kenneth Jordan has a lengthy criminal record, which in the view of some jurors discredited him, the juror said. In deliberation, she said the jury made "some headway" Monday evening as jurors began viewing Kenneth Jordan as more credible because he testified he had not been threatened. Darnell Jordan said he had gone to authorities after an owner of the Platinum Bar told him that Miller had been "riding for him."

"We felt that Kenneth had nothing to gain, nothing to lose from testifying," the juror said.

Susan Poag / The Times-PicayuneCorey Miller's sister, Germany Miller, screams her reaction to the verdict, saying justice had not been done.

But the jury's impasse could not be breached Monday evening. They agreed to be sequestered at a hotel overnight in exchange for a break. The tension continued Tuesday morning. The jury's split remained unchanged, the juror said.

The jurors sent out a note telling Liljeberg that one juror had a Bible and was quoting Scripture. That juror fell asleep several times during the trial.

"She wants off this jury and really doesn't seem to be able to handle this process, " according to the note, which Liljeberg read aloud in court while the jury was out of the courtroom.

Liljeberg spoke with three jurors privately in court, including the young college student who had the Bible. He told all of them that Bibles weren't allowed.

"You can use your common sense, but you can't use extraneous factors in making your decision, " Liljeberg told them.

About 50 minutes later, the jury had a verdict: guilty as charged. Rakosky asked to poll the jurors. The vote was 10-2, making it a legal verdict.

But one juror wrote on a slip of paper she had changed her vote "under duress" to end deliberations quicker.

Liljeberg rejected the verdict as illegal. As he had done several times before, he told them they could not change their vote for the sake of expediency in reaching a verdict. And he sent them back to deliberate more.

The move led Rakosky to seek a mistrial, a request Liljeberg denied.

"I don't think I pressured them at all," he told the attorneys.

"If they hang, they hang," he said of a hung jury verdict.

Another one of the holdouts had been stuck on the fact that there were some inconsistencies between the two Jordans' testimonies, and the lack of physical evidence that they could touch and feel, the juror said. The majority of the prosecution's evidence consisted of written documents that the jurors were not allowed to see under state law.

Guilty, again

About 1:35 p.m., the jury had reached its verdict. The court polled the jurors. The outcome was a 10-2 vote. The juror who agreed to be interviewed said she did not know which of her colleagues changed their vote.

"The court finds it is, in fact, a legal verdict, " Liljeberg announced.

A deputy immediately placed Miller in handcuffs.

"It was just very long and the process was very stressful, " the juror said. "It was probably one of the hardest things I've had to do in my life because you have two lives on the line there. But when it all came down to it, to the end, I think we definitely came out with the right verdict."
Susan Poag / The Times-PicayuneGeorge Thomas, father of 16-year-old Steve Thomas

Thomas' parents, Dolores and George Thomas, attended every hearing since the case began.

"Thank God it's all over, " Dolores Thomas said. "Now we can rest, and my baby, too."

George Thomas tearfully fell into embraces from well-wishers and the prosecution team in the courtroom.

"My baby can rest, " he said. "I'm not rejoicing over this. I feel sorry. At least they (Miller's family) can see him. All I got is a grave."

Student idolized rapper

A student at L.W. Higgins High School who worked at a McDonald's, Thomas idolized Miller and his rapper brothers, Percy "Master P" Miller Jr. and Vishonn "Sillk the Shocker" Miller. He fashioned gold teeth from golden ashtrays he got from work, and he hung posters of his rapper heroes in his bedroom, his father testified.

On Jan. 12, 2002, Thomas told his father he was going to see a movie. Using a fake identification, he went to the Platinum Club instead, knowing Miller was there. It was a rap competition, and Thomas performed, according to testimony.

No evidence was presented during the trial for how or why a fight broke out. But Thomas was beaten by a throng of men who wore "CP3" on their hooded sweatshirts, short for Calliope Projects, 3rd Ward, where Miller was raised, according to testimony.

While Thomas lay on his back, pummeled by punches and kicks, Miller fired a single shot into the center of Thomas' chest, the jury found. The .38-caliber class bullet punctured his heart and left lung.

A grandmother's belief

Maxine Miller, the rapper's grandmother and family matriarch who attended most of the court hearings in recent years, defended her grandson, saying "he did not kill that boy."

"I raised all my children in the church, and they want to treat them like criminals, " said Miller, who used the equity in her Kenner home to help Corey Miller post bond and allowed him to be incarcerated in house arrest there.

Miller's father, Percy Miller Sr., was ordered out of the courthouse earlier in the day, after exchanging words with Liljeberg's criminal minute clerk. He did not reappear after the verdict.

Rakosky left the courthouse immediately after the verdict without talking to reporters. He has said several times that Miller has not been able to pay him for his representation and he made a failed bid in April to be removed from the case.

Miller's family members did not respond when asked if they would try to retain Rakosky for an appeal.

Prosecutors stood by the trial's outcome and Miller's chances of overturning it on appeal.

"We feel confident he won't be able to do that," said Assistant District Attorney David Wolff, who led the prosecution. "A just verdict was reached."

Assistant District Attorney Shannon Swaim praised the jurors. "They worked so hard," she said. "They never gave up."

The prosecutors' case rested largely on the testimony of Darnell Jordan and Kenneth Jordan, who were found as far away as Georgia and were arrested in recent weeks to ensure their appearance in court.

Prosecutors and the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office also wrangled with witnesses who refused outright to talk, witnesses who were threatened and witnesses who disappeared, requiring "a tremendous amount of effort" during the past 7 1/2 years to keep the case from falling apart, District Attorney Paul Connick Jr. said.

"Looking back on it, I would have to say this is one of the most difficult cases we've handled from a witness standpoint," said Connick from Connecticut, where he said he is working on an upcoming prosecution. "There were a lot of hurdles. I'm very grateful to the witnesses."

Miller will be sentenced in another case, in Baton Rouge on Aug. 25, for his no-contest plea to two counts of attempted second-degree murder. He tried to shoot a nightclub owner and bouncer in Baton Rouge on Aug. 14, 2001. The plea deal calls for a 10-year sentence, minus the time he has spent in jail and house arrest.

Connick confirmed Tuesday that lawyers in the Baton Rouge case sought in late May to package the plea there with the Jefferson Parish case. He said he turned down the offer, despite the case against Miller in Jefferson teetering on the edge of collapse for a lack of witnesses.

"I just couldn't do it, " Connick said of the offer. "At the time, we hadn't located any of the two witnesses for this trial. I just couldn't go along with such a deal."

. . . . . . .

Paul Purpura can be reached at [email protected] or 504.826.3791. C.J. Lin can be reached at [email protected] or 504.826.3796.

Jul 5, 2009
It's a fucked up situation but that nigga had no business pullin a pistol in that situation. And i was readin the comments on that site and i must say i can't recall so much racist shit all over internet in years past.

Oct 23, 2006
It's a fucked up situation but that nigga had no business pullin a pistol in that situation. And i was readin the comments on that site and i must say i can't recall so much racist shit all over internet in years past.
agreed... I dunno what happened for sure but IF he did what they say he did then I cant really feel that bad. The mother who lost her 16 year old is feeling the worst out of everyone. IF he pulled a pistol on a KID who was more than 2 times younger than him he deserves it.

Jan 6, 2006
look at the facts presented on both sides ppl... theres no evidence/ballistics etc... that links to C as the triggerman. just 2false testimonies from 2ppl that made a deal with the prosecutors.... did the jurors seem to be on their job in this case??? did this trial seem fair at all? read into it....