Brain Scan that can tell peoples intentions before they act

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 8, 2006
www.myspace.com
A team of world-leading neuroscientists has developed a powerful technique that allows them to look deep inside a person's brain and read their intentions before they act.

The research breaks controversial new ground in scientists' ability to probe people's minds and eavesdrop on their thoughts, and raises serious ethical issues over how brain-reading technology may be used in the future.

The team used high-resolution brain scans to identify patterns of activity before translating them into meaningful thoughts, revealing what a person planned to do in the near future. It is the first time scientists have succeeded in reading intentions in this way.

"Using the scanner, we could look around the brain for this information and read out something that from the outside there's no way you could possibly tell is in there. It's like shining a torch around, looking for writing on a wall," said John-Dylan Haynes at the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences in Germany, who led the study with colleagues at University College London and Oxford University.

The research builds on a series of recent studies in which brain imaging has been used to identify tell-tale activity linked to lying, violent behaviour and racial prejudice.

The latest work reveals the dramatic pace at which neuroscience is progressing, prompting the researchers to call for an urgent debate into the ethical issues surrounding future uses for the technology. If brain-reading can be refined, it could quickly be adopted to assist interrogations of criminals and terrorists, and even usher in a "Minority Report" era (as portrayed in the Steven Spielberg science fiction film of that name), where judgments are handed down before the law is broken on the strength of an incriminating brain scan.

"These techniques are emerging and we need an ethical debate about the implications, so that one day we're not surprised and overwhelmed and caught on the wrong foot by what they can do. These things are going to come to us in the next few years and we should really be prepared," Professor Haynes told the Guardian.

The use of brain scanners to judge whether people are likely to commit crimes is a contentious issue that society should tackle now, according to Prof Haynes. "We see the danger that this might become compulsory one day, but we have to be aware that if we prohibit it, we are also denying people who aren't going to commit any crime the possibility of proving their innocence."

During the study, the researchers asked volunteers to decide whether to add or subtract two numbers they were later shown on a screen.

Before the numbers flashed up, they were given a brain scan using a technique called functional magnetic imaging resonance. The researchers then used a software that had been designed to spot subtle differences in brain activity to predict the person's intentions with 70% accuracy.

The study revealed signatures of activity in a marble-sized part of the brain called the medial prefrontal cortex that changed when a person intended to add the numbers or subtract them.

Because brains differ so much, the scientists need a good idea of what a person's brain activity looks like when they are thinking something to be able to spot it in a scan, but researchers are already devising ways of deducing what patterns are associated with different thoughts.

Barbara Sahakian, a professor of neuro-psychology at Cambridge University, said the rapid advances in neuroscience had forced scientists in the field to set up their own neuroethics society late last year to consider the ramifications of their research.

"Do we want to become a 'Minority Report' society where we're preventing crimes that might not happen?," she asked. "For some of these techniques, it's just a matter of time. It is just another new technology that society has to come to terms with and use for the good, but we should discuss and debate it now because what we don't want is for it to leak into use in court willy nilly without people having thought about the consequences.

"A lot of neuroscientists in the field are very cautious and say we can't talk about reading individuals' minds, and right now that is very true, but we're moving ahead so rapidly, it's not going to be that long before we will be able to tell whether someone's making up a story, or whether someone intended to do a crime with a certain degree of certainty."

Professor Colin Blakemore, a neuroscientist and director of the Medical Research Council, said: "We shouldn't go overboard about the power of these techniques at the moment, but what you can be absolutely sure of is that these will continue to roll out and we will have more and more ability to probe people's intentions, minds, background thoughts, hopes and emotions.

"Some of that is extremely desirable, because it will help with diagnosis, education and so on, but we need to be thinking the ethical issues through. It adds a whole new gloss to personal medical data and how it might be used."

The technology could also drive advances in brain-controlled computers and machinery to boost the quality of life for disabled people. Being able to read thoughts as they arise in a person's mind could lead to computers that allow people to operate email and the internet using thought alone, and write with word processors that can predict which word or sentence you want to type . The technology is also expected to lead to improvements in thought-controlled wheelchairs and artificial limbs that respond when a person imagines moving.

"You can imagine how tedious it is if you want to write a letter by using a cursor to pick out letters on a screen," said Prof Haynes. "It would be much better if you thought, 'I want to reply to this email', or, 'I'm thinking this word', and the computer can read that and understand what you want to do."

· FAQ: Mind reading

What have the scientists developed?
They have devised a system that analyses brain activity to work out a person's intentions before they have acted on them. More advanced versions may be able to read complex thoughts and even pick them up before the person is conscious of them.

How does it work?
The computer learns unique patterns of brain activity or signatures that correspond to different thoughts. It then scans the brain to look for these signatures and predicts what the person is thinking.

How could it be used?
It is expected to drive advances in brain-controlled computers, leading to artificial limbs and machinery that respond to thoughts. More advanced versions could be used to help interrogate criminals and assess prisoners before they are released. Controversially, they may be able to spot people who plan to commit crimes before they break the law.

What is next?
The researchers are honing the technique to distinguish between passing thoughts and genuine intentions.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
nhojsmith said:
you should know better prophetic one. but what does this matter to a believer of fate and destiny anyway
Stop groveling at my feet and answer the question. And why would the study of the brain not matter to me when I recently posted an article that had to do with the brain and "religious experiences" and an article concerning the "god gene"?

Again, how is any of this a miracle?

Dec 8, 2005
HERESY said:
Stop groveling at my feet and answer the question. And why would the study of the brain not matter to me when I recently posted an article that had to do with the brain and "religious experiences" and an article concerning the "god gene"?

hahahha can you answer a question? or just reply with a question stone caster. and your interest in science and its relation to god is just too cute for words. you jesus freaks love to discredit science and deny evolution in most cases because it makes apparent how foolish you are, then when pseudo science comes out that may give you a scrap of faith that you should already have, you cling to it like you do your bible.

prophecy like in your magic book. it is "something wonderful; a wonder, a marvelous thing, something which seems to go beyond the known laws of nature and is held to be the act of a supernatural being; a supernatural event" ie YOUR GOD and your little stories of revelations. but your god is not the only one who can tell the future, now anyone with a machine can predict the "future". do you understand yet? why do you have such difficulty with simple things, the devil must be clouding your mind, i will pray for you.

Oct 14, 2004
HERESY said:

Nobody grovels at the feet of someone on the siccness. Get over yourself. On here "ACTING" like your somebody. That shit kills me.

@This post- This is something that you have to take with a grain of salt. Some of this shit can make it into mainstream. This fluke type of shit will only get so far. Good post though.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
hahahha can you answer a question? or just reply with a question stone caster. and your interest in science and its relation to god is just too cute for words.
Yes I can answer a question, but at this time, in this thread, we can't say the same for you. LMAO@ "too cute for words". First it was you telling another guy you slapped them with the pinkie and 2 skittles between your leg, and now you're tossing around "cute" like its Valentines Day or something. I tell ya nhoe...somethings not right about you boy.

you jesus freaks love to discredit science and deny evolution in most cases because it makes apparent how foolish you are
And you call me the stone caster? Son, define "jesus freak" for us. What does one have to do to become a "jesus freak" or how does one identify a "jesus freak"? Here it is I asked you a question and now you are trying to spin this into something it shouldn't be. However, as history shows, I reach through cyber space and bitch slap the shit out of you EVERYTIME the two of us are on opposite playing fields. Will this be any different? No. How is that for observation? It's splendid! And maybe, just maybe, if your sentence structure and "logic" were to somehow miraculously "evolve", I wouldn't be forced to consider you less than the primate that YOU consider to be your distant cousin (or mother.)

then when pseudo science comes out that may give you a scrap of faith that you should already have, you cling to it like you do your bible.
What pseudoscience are you talking about? If professors of anthropology, biology, psychiatry, and neurology followed the criteria for science (scientific method), how are you claiming the "god gene" or changes in the brain during religious activity are/is pseudoscience?

prophecy like in your magic book. it is "something wonderful; a wonder, a marvelous thing, something which seems to go beyond the known laws of nature and is held to be the act of a supernatural being; a supernatural event" ie YOUR GOD and your little stories of revelations.
Whats wrong Smitty? You couldn't come up with the definition on your own?

but your god is not the only one who can tell the future,
Who made that claim? Didn't Ms. Cleo make millions from doing the same thing? Doesn't the lady that is on Montel every other day do the same thing?

now anyone with a machine can predict the "future".
No, what they can do is predict the correct response to a specific question 70% of the time, and we have yet to see the machine utilized in real life situations such as crime deterence or suicide prevention (which is something that might actually help ya out, bud.)

Look at the test again and see how many people did NOT already know the answer to the question before it was asked. How is the machine going to detect if a guy will actually follow through with a crime, if the crime has not been commited yet and all the variables are not in place or fluctuate?

why do you have such difficulty with simple things, the devil must be clouding your mind, i will pray for you.
The same difficulty that prevents you from starting each sentence with a cap is the same thing that causes difficulty in myself....

(sarcasm heavily implied.) :cool:

Dec 8, 2005
HERESY said:
Yes I can answer a question, but at this time, in this thread, we can't say the same for you. LMAO@ "too cute for words". First it was you telling another guy you slapped them with the pinkie and 2 skittles between your leg, and now you're tossing around "cute" like its Valentines Day or something. I tell ya nhoe...somethings not right about you boy.

And you call me the stone caster? Son, define "jesus freak" for us. What does one have to do to become a "jesus freak" or how does one identify a "jesus freak"? Here it is I asked you a question and now you are trying to spin this into something it shouldn't be. However, as history shows, I reach through cyber space and bitch slap the shit out of you EVERYTIME the two of us are on opposite playing fields. Will this be any different? No. How is that for observation? It's splendid! And maybe, just maybe, if your sentence structure and "logic" were to somehow miraculously "evolve", I wouldn't be forced to consider you less than the primate that YOU consider to be your distant cousin (or mother.)

What pseudoscience are you talking about? If professors of anthropology, biology, psychiatry, and neurology followed the criteria for science (scientific method), how are you claiming the "god gene" or changes in the brain during religious activity are/is pseudoscience?

Whats wrong Smitty? You couldn't come up with the definition on your own?

Who made that claim? Didn't Ms. Cleo make millions from doing the same thing? Doesn't the lady that is on Montel every other day do the same thing?

No, what they can do is predict the correct response to a specific question 70% of the time, and we have yet to see the machine utilized in real life situations such as crime deterence or suicide prevention (which is something that might actually help ya out, bud.)

Look at the test again and see how many people did NOT already know the answer to the question before it was asked. How is the machine going to detect if a guy will actually follow through with a crime, if the crime has not been commited yet and all the variables are not in place or fluctuate?

The same difficulty that prevents you from starting each sentence with a cap is the same thing that causes difficulty in myself....

(sarcasm heavily implied.) :cool:
heresy the jesus freak my number one fan, that train is never late,

youve never bitch slapped me in your life boy, i dont even know where you come off trying to claim that. oh wait, you always simply claim you win arguements againt other people thats right, thats you!!!!!!! the only thing ive seen you do on this board is bitch, prophecize, and change the subject when people challenge you. you magically appear and respond to almost everyone of my posts even when you dont refer at all to the topic. you try so hard to put yourself on a pedstal above people when you engage in arguments with them, but its transparant. your mind is as open as your heaven is to faggots. you may have your little groupies on here but most people who have read your posts know you're a selfabsorbed narrow minded asshole.

i define words for you because you are the one who asked a question and couldnt grasp what i was saying. yes pseudoscience, shall i define this for you too? the god gene? are you joking, do you ever consider that your opinion may not be the right one? sociobiology is not science you jackass, neither is evolutionary psychology. but if you want to buy this crap, then the hilarious thing is that it can only serve as evidence that your god is fake and you are delusional. but i wont fault you for this, since you come from babylon and talk to god, i can understand why your grasp of science is shakey.

can you even admit youve learned anything on this board? after me, your second biggest hero is yourself. stop talking with your eyes closed. and youre still not able to answer simple questions i see, youre like a bitch, do i gotta take you to the movies and buy you candy, and reply to your posts for five days to get an answer like youve done with other people? youre a fuckin joke to me, and all your whining and bitching and grammaatical syntax isnt going to change that and it kills you. thats why you pay so much attention to my actions.

now go formulate your response homo, and spell check it, and give it to your priest to proofread. actually you can save it, ive heard everything youve tried to rationalize several times.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
heresy the jesus freak my number one fan, that train is never late,
Wishful thinking son.

youve never bitch slapped me in your life boy,
Son, in EVERY thread where you and I have been on opposite sides you were broken and trampled. If we were to make a poll right now and ask the public, the general consensus would be that I am superior to you in everything that actually matters while you are simply a rapscallion with a Skeletor avatar.

oh wait, you always simply claim you win arguements againt other people thats right, thats you!!!!!!!
No son, I simply destroy you and others are in agreement.

the only thing ive seen you do on this board is bitch, prophecize, and change the subject when people challenge you.
Son, post 5 instances of me changing the subject. If you can do so I'll leave this board for good. Son, pointing out the fact that this board is a hypocritical cesspool should not be confused with bitching. You may tolerate this board being a haven for future window lickers and Schiavo roomies, but I don't. As far as prophesizing heres one for you. Let me rub my crystal ball and see what your future holds:

:rubs crystal ball:

:sees an image:

:"It's becoming clear now!":

:ah whats this? Me reaching through my high speed, 6mb connection and backhanding the taste out of your mouth:

you magically appear and respond to almost everyone of my posts even when you dont refer at all to the topic.
More lies.

you try so hard to put yourself on a pedstal above people when you engage in arguments with them, but its transparant. your mind is as open as your heaven is to faggots.
I put myself on a pedestal by using people like you as my foot stool. I've seen people come and go here, I've MADE people leave , and you are simply a notch in my belt and an unwilling victim, but don't feel bad. You should feel a sense of honor and dignity, for you will now recognize that I am in fact your superior. You are my lap dog who will do my will even if I don't openly state it. This has been PROVEN before, and I'm proving it now! LOL!

. you may have your little groupies on here but most people who have read your posts know you're a selfabsorbed narrow minded asshole.
I've heard WORSE! My girl says something like that everytime she is upset with me, but after an hour she calms down and wants to make love to me...:x

Once again...something ain't right about you nhoe.:confused:

i define words for you because you are the one who asked a question and couldnt grasp what i was saying.
Junior, when you aren't saying anything remotely important I am forced to ask questions. When you type as if your fingers are shoved up your ass, or as if some mafia enforcer has taken a hammer to them, I am forced to ask questions.

yes pseudoscience, shall i define this for you too? the god gene? are you joking, do you ever consider that your opinion may not be the right one?
Yes, define pseudoscience so I can openly laugh at you for doing it! As far as opinions are concerned I always consider the fact that my opinion may not be the correct one. However, it doesn't matter if my opinion is the right one or not. What matters is if I can present myself in an articulate fashion so intellectuals such as myself can comprehend it or so morons like you don't spend forever and a day trying to understand.

sociobiology is not science you jackass, neither is evolutionary psychology
So why are you praising this article and the findings as a miracle? :dead:
See, you and others throw "pseudoscience" around as if these tests were NOT done to "scientific standards". However, I can clearly see that you don't have knowledge about these things or the tests, so I'm right once again. But you are a hypocrite, and you'll rely on some "pseudoscience" to validate your claim. You did it with past statements about Afrikans, and you actually endorsed this article/finding, which by your implied definition IS pseudoscience. LMAO!

but if you want to buy this crap, then the hilarious thing is that it can only serve as evidence that your god is fake and you are delusional. but i wont fault you for this, since you come from babylon and talk to god, i can understand why your grasp of science is shakey.
Yet you are the one claiming this find is a "miracle" :dead:

can you even admit youve learned anything on this board?
Yes I sure can. I've learned from several people on this board, Hutch, 206, 916, Mexcom, Enserio etc. However, the only thing I've learned from you is that you're an idiot who has YET to type a single paragraph at a college level and claims to be enrolled in college.

after me, your second biggest hero is yourself.
:rolleyes: Nice try junior.

stop talking with your eyes closed. and youre still not able to answer simple questions i see,
What question have you asked?

i see, youre like a bitch, do i gotta take you to the movies and buy you candy
More homosexual tendencies on your part....trying to take a guy out and buy candy. In fact, thats what pedophilles and perverts do! They buy candy for people or kids they are infatuated with. See I knew something was up with you. A lot of your posts bashing religions almost always make reference to sexual deviance, and if I take everything in totallity, I'll come to the most logical conclusion -- somethin ain't right about you boy! :dead:

and reply to your posts for five days to get an answer like youve done with other people?
Actually I reply to people promptly unless I don't get the message that the thread is still going. Others than that I'm busy, and my fans and loyal subjects (you included) simply have to take a number.

youre a fuckin joke to me
The same "joke" that can actually make a thread, get you riled up by it (because of your guilt) and send you packing when finished playing the game. In fact look at this thread nhoe. A simple question and now look what we have...

BEHOLD!!!!! BEAR WITNESS AS I ONCE AGAIN REACH THROUGH CYBERSPACE AND SMACK YOUR WISDOM TEETH FROM THEIR SOCKETS!

:Backslaps the latent homosexual with his MACK HAND:

and all your whining and bitching and grammaatical syntax isnt going to change that and it kills you. thats why you pay so much attention to my actions.
Lies.

now go formulate your response homo, and spell check it, and give it to your priest to proofread. actually you can save it, ive heard everything youve tried to rationalize several times.
Actually I type my responses, post em and spell check em afterwards. There you go again making references to priests and homosexuality. You're killing me nhoesmitty!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!

Apr 25, 2002
so... 'bout this whole brain scan thing.. it says they can know whether you're goin' to do somethin'.. say, commit a crime.. what if you change your mind... i always change my mind.. like today.. i wanted guiness earlier.. but now i feel like a newcastle.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
|GOD|||ZILLA| said:
so... 'bout this whole brain scan thing.. it says they can know whether you're goin' to do somethin'.. say, commit a crime.. what if you change your mind... i always change my mind.. like today.. i wanted guiness earlier.. but now i feel like a newcastle.
Bingo! One of the MANY variables I talked about.