Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
Is it just me or does Broner look like he's 190lbs aka Ricky Fatton? Not a good look. You can win losing that weight like that for awhile, but it catches up to everyone sooner or later. He looks FAT in that picture.

Props: WYNO707X4
Jul 24, 2005
TEAM ABDUSALAMOV ESTABLISHING TRUST FOR THEIR INJURED FIGHTER AND FAMILY
By Press Release | November 05, 2013

Sampson Lewkowicz, promoter of hospitalized Russian heavyweight Magomed "Mago" Abdusalamov, along with promoters Leon Margules and Lou DiBella, and with help and support of others in the industry, are establishing a fund and to donate and raise funds to help alleviate the financial burden the unfortunate brain injury Abdusalamov suffered Saturday night has placed on him and his family.

32-year-old Abdusalamov had to have emergency surgery to remove a blood clot, and part of his skull had to be removed to reduce swelling, following his brutal 10-round war against Mike Perez at The Theater at Madison Square Garden, on Saturday, November 2. The fight was also broadcast worldwide on HBO.

Mago is currently still in ICU at Roosevelt Hospital in New York.

Abdusalamov's family, including his wife and father, brothers, and three young children, along with his manager Boris Grinberg are keeping constant vigil at the hospital. He has also been visited by his entire promotional team.

"We are going to do what we need to do for Magomed. He and his family are going to need our help," said Lewkowicz. "He is going to need financial assistance for the medical bills for his treatment, and for his family who are faced with an urgent financial crunch from this terrible accident."

Deeply saddened by the unfortunate twist of fate that has befallen his fighter, Lewkowicz says he is happy to have already received so many offers of help, including one from middleweight world champion, Sergio Martinez.

"We cannot, as a boxing family, turn our backs on the brave men and women who compete in our sport when they need us most. We are going to do everything possible to help him get back on his feet. Magomed will never fight again, but he is a good man and a brave man with a nice family. We are going to make sure they all pull through this intact. That is the right thing to do. Every dollar will help."

The Magomed Abdusalamov Trust is currently being set up. In the meantime, donations can be made two ways:

Jul 24, 2005
MANSOUR VS. PRICE AND COYNE VS. THOMPSON HEADLINE DECEMBER 14 NBC SPORTS NETWORK FIGHT NIGHT
By Press Release | November 05, 2013

In a pair of pick 'em 10 rounders on the December 14th edition of NBC Sports Network's FIGHT NIGHT, heavyweights Amir Mansour & Kelvin Price and light heavyweights Ryan Coyne & Lionell Thompson seek redemption from recent setbacks and the opportunity to prove that they have what it takes to compete at the elite levels of the sport. For each of the four men, once promising ring careers came into question following events inside and outside of the ring. Now it's make-or-break on the nationally televised Atlantic City show - a definitive victory could get half of the combatants back on track and silence their doubters; a loss could be the end of the road.

Knockout artist Amir "Hardcore" Mansour, 19-0, 14 KOs, of Wilmington, DE, has yet to lose a fight, but the buzz-worthy wrecking machine has a different sort of demon to overcome.His best years were spent behind prison bars instead of inside the ring so, at 41 years of age, Mansour has plenty of critics who think he's just too old to be taken seriously.On December 14th, Hardcore is looking to put his struggles behind him and prove that he belongs in the successful over-40 club lead by current world title holders and pound-for-pound contenders Bernard Hopkins and Vitali Klitschko.

Amir will have to fend off another determined salvation-seeker in Klitschko-sized heavyweight, Kelvin "Price is Right" Price, 14-1, 6 KOs.After a win in his last fight (a 10-round decision over Danny Williams), the six-foot, seven-inch boxer from Pensacola, FL is still trying to erase the memory of the only loss of his career to undefeated, streaking heavyweight sensation Deontay Wilder almost one year ago.

Both heavies will enter the ring with the same goal, after 10 rounds (or less) we'll find out which big man moves forward.

In the 10-round co-feature bout, redemption will also be the prize for one of two very hungry light heavyweights.

Southpaw Ryan Coyne, 21-1, 9 KOs, of St. Louis, MO, is out to prove that he is far better than his last fight, a loss to Marcus Oliveira by TKO.Prior to that setback, "The Irish Outlaw" topped everyone he faced. Returning to his previously winning ways is job number one for Ryan.He would like nothing more than to enter the light heavyweight sweepstakes that awaits the winner of this anticipated bout.

However, Buffalo's Lionell Thompson, 14-2, 9 KOs, has the same objective."Lonnie B" is on a two-bout roll, and rebuilding his reputation after his 2012 TKO loss to Sergey Kovalev.That defeat looks far better these days, given the fact that Kovalev became the WBO light heavyweight world champion less than one year later. Although Thompson took the fight with Kovalev on only two weeks' notice, he clearly needs to register a big win to erase any doubts and move up in the star-studded 175-pound division.

Jul 24, 2005
PETER QUILLIN BREAKS DOWN OTHER TOP MIDDLEWEIGHTS: "I'M UP FOR FIGHTING ANY OF THE TOP NAMES"
By Press Release | November 06, 2013

Held prisoner because of the boxing network war, undefeated World Boxing Organization (WBO) middleweight champion Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin (30-0, 22 KOs) is still searching for his career defining fight.

The 30-year-old Quillin, fighting out of Brooklyn, is the only top-rated 160-pounder aligned with Showtime. The marquee-name middleweights, Sergio Martinez (WBC/Ring Magazine champion) and Gennady Golovkin (WBA), fight exclusively on rival HBO.

Quillin relishes the opportunity to fight any of the top rated middleweights, but he also understands the politics of boxing and the situation it has presently placed him in. "It's not up to me who I fight," Quillin said. "If the money is right, I'm up for fighting any of the top names, especially Martinez and Golovkin, but everybody's aware of what's going on behind the scenes (Showtime vs. HBO). My job is to work hard and be ready. I have the most powerful team in boxing (Golden Boy Promotions, adviser Al Haymon, co-managers John Seip and Jim McDevitt) and they get me the best available deals. I'm not worried about who I'm fighting. They come to me with my fights."

Here's how Quillin breaks down the top middleweights in the world, not listed in any particular order:

Sergio Martinez: "He is the one everybody has as No. 1 in the middleweight division. Martinez has fought some very exciting fights. He's a showman in the ring."

Gennady Golovkin: "A power puncher. Golovkin brings power into the ring and gets a lot of knockouts."

Darren Barker (IBF champion): "He always puts his best foot forward and always tries as hard as possible. Barker and I would bring a lot of fireworks into the ring."

Daniel Geale: "Another exciting fighter who bangs with the best. It worked for a while against Barker."

Felix Sturm: "I haven't seen too much of him. I hope Sturm pursues more fights to make the middleweight division even tougher than it is right now."

Martin Murray: "He is determined and exciting. I can't take anything away from Murray."

Peter Quillin: "A very exciting guy always looking for new ways to win. He has power, showmanship and a lot of smarts in the ring."

Quillin recently overcame personal heartache in his second title defense victory, by 10th round technical knockout over a game Gabriel Rosado, who suffered a serious cut over his eye that resulted in the fight being halted on the advice of the ring doctor. While he was in the middle of training camp in Los Angeles, Quillin's wife, Allison, suffered a miscarriage five months into her pregnancy. She was home in New York City.

"I struggled with it," Quillin admitted. "I was obligated to camp, 3000 miles away, and she had to go through it without me being there to comfort her. We're praying together and I'm working on being more compassionate."

Quillin is already back in the gym, going through light workouts and yoga. "I took a week off and bought my dream car (red Corvette Stingray)," he added. "I get depressed when I'm not working out. My wife goes to work and I'm all alone. I need to be active to be productive, so I went right back into the gym. My dad taught me how to clear my head. I'm staying ready and in shape, just in case the opportunity for my career defining fight comes along."

Jul 24, 2005
Canelo vs Cotto: Will money talk after Schaefer's $10M offer?

By Scott Christ S @scott christBLH on Nov 6 2013, 7:43p 4
Mike Ehrmann

Richard Schaefer says he's offered Miguel Cotto "in excess of" $10 million to face Canelo Alvarez in a March 8 Showtime pay-per-view event. Can Cotto turn down that type of payday?

According to a report at BoxingScene.com, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer has made an offer "in excess of" $10 million to Miguel Cotto for the Puerto Rican superstar to face Canelo Alvarez in a Showtime pay-per-view bout on March 8, 2014.

Cotto is a promotional free agent, and has worked with Golden Boy twice, both times in 2012. This year, he worked with Top Rank for an October date with Delvin Rodriguez on HBO.

"The main topic of discussion was a potential Canelo fight. I made him a very lucrative offer, eight figures...well in excess of $10 million dollars. He said he is going to let me know what he decides to do. I told him it could be a one fight deal or a series of fights, whatever he wants to do," Schaefer told BoxingScene.com.

Cotto (38-4, 31 KO) was thought to be working on a fight with WBC middleweight titlist Sergio Martinez, which HBO would have put on pay-per-view, but there's just no doubt that Canelo-Cotto is the bigger fight, and that there's more money to be made there. Canelo is a much bigger star than Martinez, and the Mexico vs Puerto Rico rivalry would add another wrinkle of marketability.

There's also the fact that the WBC are pushing for Martinez to return and defend his title against pointlessly-appointed mandatory challenger Marco Antonio Rubio.

Can Cotto turn down an offer like the one to face Canelo? At 33, Cotto has made clear he's not looking to stick around forever, and reportedly wanted to start a three-fight exit strategy with the October win over Rodriguez. He might stay longer than two more fights, but how much longer? And how many more eight-figure paydays are going to come his way?

Even Bob Arum, who no doubt wants to promote Martinez-Cotto badly, couldn't find fault in a guy like Miguel Cotto taking this kind of payday if he can't match it.

For whatever it's worth, Schaefer says that Peter Quillin is also an option for Cotto if he'd like to take that fight at 160.

Jul 24, 2005
Boxing Rankings Update, Nov. 2013: Bradley moves up at 147, Provodnikov crashes 140

By Scott Christ S @scott christBLH on Nov 6 2013, 8:17a 27
Doug Pensinger

Timothy Bradley and Ruslan Provodnikov are arguably still leading the Fight of the Year race with their March classic, and both fighters made big statements in October, as well.

It was a quiet month in terms of ratings movement in October, so that means it's a quiet month for the update here in November. But there are a couple big stories to talk about, so let's do that. The full rankings are available here.

Junior Welterweight

Ruslan Provodnikov is in at No. 3 after winning the WBO title in a great fight with Mike Alvarado on October 19 in Colorado. Provodnikov (23-2, 16 KO) beat Alvarado (34-2, 23 KO) into submission that night, taking Alvarado's best shots and ultimately physically dominating him. When 2013 started, Provodnikov was an also-ran junior welterweight with an exciting style who was being served up as a tune-up for Tim Bradley in March. Now, he's a guy who had a Fight of the Year contender and nearly upset Bradley, and is a top junior welterweight.

Welterweight

Speaking of Timothy Bradley, he's moved up to No. 2 in the rankings, behind only Floyd Mayweather. Juan Manuel Marquez is down to No. 3 and Manny Pacquiao is down to No. 4. I know this will cause some wailing and gnashing of teeth, but DEAL WITH IT, PUNKS! It's not June 2012 anymore. Bradley beat Marquez, who beat Pacquiao, and while it's all a confusing triangle to deal with in terms of ranking, we've gone with Tim Bradley. Pacquiao has a chance in a couple weeks to make a statement.

Heavyweight

Mike Perez is on the yo-yo again, back at No. 10 after his win over Magomed Abdusalamov this past weekend. Perez probably won't be dropping out just because someone else did something, which he's done roughly 11,000 times this year. That's crazy. There have only been so many rankings updates. I'm out of control with jokes.

Female Pound-For-Pound

Cecilia Braekhus still rules the roost, but Ryan has upped it to a top 15 instead of just a top 10.

Jul 24, 2005
HANK LUNDY: "THESE GUYS RIGHT NOW ARE SCARED TO FIGHT ME...I'M A DANGEROUS MAN"
By Percy Crawford | November 06, 2013

"I'm one of the top guys at 140. I'm actually in the top 5 in the world. These guys right now are scared to fight me. All I can do is keep knocking off whoever they put in front of me. But you know, I've been calling out the big names, but these guys are scared to fight me, so what more can I do? Me and J [Prince] gonna have to put our heads together and go get these boys...it's all easy; that's why they are running from me. At the end of the day, this is my second time being top 10 in the world, once at 35 and now at 140, so my skills speak for itself and that's why these guys are running because I'm a dangerous man," stated jr. welterweight contender Hank Lundy, who voiced his frustrations about the unwillingness of other 140-pound contenders to face him. Check out what else he had to say!

PC: I bumped into you in Vegas when you were down there to make a little noise and call out some of the top guys at 140. You feel these guys are avoiding you since you have shown that you are taking this game serious, right?

HL: Yeah, well, you know, I'm one of the top guys at 140. I'm actually in the top 5 in the world. These guys right now are scared to fight me. All I can do is keep knocking off whoever they put in front of me. But you know, I've been calling out the big names, but these guys are scared to fight me, so what more can I do? Me and J [Prince] gonna have to put our heads together and go get these boys.

PC: You have been a good fighter for a long time, but you never really had that backing. Now that you have J Prince behind you, it's gotta be a good feeling, man.

HL: Ah man, most definitely; especially me coming from Philly and coming up out the hood. It's like now there is a lot of stuff I don't have to do no more. I just have to train and let J do the rest and that's a blessing. The hard work will pay off at the end of the day.

PC: In the fight against Ajose, you fought primarily as a southpaw in which you told me that's your natural stance.

HL: (Laughing)

PC: You truly are a different animal when you are focused on the task at hand. How did it feel to put on that type of performance, because you have been telling everyone you are capable of that?

HL: First and foremost, I told everybody that they hadn't seen the best Hank Lundy. Truthfully, I started boxing at the age of 18 and turned pro at 23. I got like 10 years under my belt and now you are starting to see a complete Hank Lundy. I told y'all, man, it don't matter who y'all put in the ring with me, I'm gonna make 'em look like they don't belong in there. This guy had 31 wins and 1 loss and I treated him like he was an amateur, and everything else speaks for itself.

PC: Can we expect to see you fight southpaw a lot more or is it depending upon the opponent?

HL: You know, in boxing, everything is mental. If you beat a guy mentally, the physical part is nothing. I knew southpaws are rare to fighting, that's why sometimes I fight right-handed because I know guys don't want to deal with my speed and my punching power from the southpaw side, so what I did was use that trick against him and beat him mentally and he couldn't do nothing with me. When I fought southpaw, I took all advantages from him and it messed him up in each round.

PC: When you look around the 140-pound division, what do you see?

HL: At 140, I see easy work. Them guys out there...it's all easy; that's why they are running from me. At the end of the day, this is my second time being top 10 in the world, once at 35 and now at 140, so my skills speak for itself and that's why these guys are running because I'm a dangerous man. It's easy work here. These guys are scared to fight me. I done called out everybody. They talked about Matthysse and I said give me him. They called him the baddest man on the planet and I still haven't got a word on that. Right now, I'm currently #2 in the WBC and we got our fellow brother Danny Garcia from Philly...actually, I'm next up to fight him and if he don't move up to 47, he gotta face me and that they don't want.

PC: When can we expect to see you in the ring again or when would you like to be back in there?

HL: Me and J been talking and we were trying to get Molina on a card, but he punked out. He had no opponent and I told him I would come in there as an opponent; let's get it on. HBO said that fight could be made as the main event in January. But the thing about it is Molina is not gonna step up and fight. At the end of the day, he made a statement once saying once he grabbed a world title, he would fight me, but I don't need him to tell you the truth. The world seen what happened. But truth be told, anybody out there, we working and we ready for whatever.

PC: How did it come together for you to hook up with J Prince? I saw you walking through the MGM with him and still didn't really put two and two together.

HL: (Laughing) It came from the David Diaz fight when I went to Chicago and took my belt down there. I knocked David Diaz out like I told the world I would do. I went into his hometown and on the internet, I seen they had him set to fight Marquez if he would have got past me and I'm like, "Man, you just gonna write me off and move on?" I said that fight wouldn't go past 6 and I knocked him out in the 6th. After that, Andre Ward was commentating and me and J kind of linked up through that, you know.

PC: I appreciate the time. I expect to see big things coming from you in 2014. Is there anything else you want to say in closing?

HL: Y'all know what it is, man. Hammerin Hank coming to a city or town near you to put the hammer down and we will be back in that ring before you know it.

Jul 24, 2005
VICTOR ORTIZ RETURN PUSHED BACK TO JANUARY 30; WILL FACE LUIS COLLAZO AT BARCLAYS CENTER
By Ben Thompson | November 06, 2013

Sources close to the information have confirmed that former welterweight champion Victor Ortiz will no longer be making his long-awaited return to the ring on the undercard of the December 14 "Danger Zone" event headlined by Adrien Broner vs. Marcos Maidana. Instead, Ortiz will now be facing fellow former welterweight champion Luis Collazo on January 30 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Collazo first revealed the news earlier today on his official Twitter page, telling his followers, "To all my followers its goin dwn Jan.30 as Well as the non believers.come enjy a festivites of #boxing B @Bar clayscenter vs Víctor Ortiz". Though initially there was some speculation given that January 30 is a Thursday, we're told that the fight will indeed take place on that date as part of a special anniversary celebration for the Barclays Center leading into Super Bowl Weekend. Though no fights have been officially announced for the projected card, we're told that there's a strong possibility WBO middleweight champion Peter Quillin could be defending his title against top challenger Danny Jacobs on that date as well.

Jul 24, 2005
Mosley vs Mundine back on for November 27

By Scott Christ S @scott christBLH on Nov 6 2013, 7:23p 3
USA TODAY Sports
Get the latest Global Boxing News and Commentary news with Bad Left Hook

Shane Mosley's fight with Anthony Mundine is back on, reportedly, as the two are said to be set for a November 27 fight in Sydney.

Shane Mosley will head back to Australia soon, as he's got a rescheduled date of November 27 for his fight with Anthony Mundine, a bout that fell apart over money just a couple of weeks ago when Mosley arrived in Australia for the fight, then left because he wasn't paid the remaining $700,000 he was owed.

It was reported then that the fight could be rescheduled with a new promoter, and as we speculated then, that promoter will be Khoder Nasser, who has guaranteed Mosley's $1 million purse for the event. There were also reports then that tickets had not sold well, but former promoter Vlad Warton disputed that claim.

Mosley, 42, scored his first win in over four years in May, when he went to Mexico and beat Pablo Cesar Cano in an entertaining bout. It was the first time in his 20-year pro career that "Sugar" Shane had traveled outside of the United States to fight, and this will mark the second time. There's a growing market for faded American stars to leave the country for paydays, and Mosley is taking advantage of the same thing that the likes of Roy Jones Jr and Antonio Tarver have in the past few years

Jul 24, 2005
Would Gennady Golovkin get a taste of his own medicine at Super Middleweight?
November 7th, 2013 | Post Comment - 55 Comments
71Share 2 83Share 3Tweet

gennady golovkin By Robbie Bannatyne: The undefeated Gennady Golovkin (28-0, 25KO) with a knockout percentage of 89%, the highest in middleweight history, and most prolific among any active fighter in the sport is often referred to as the ‘most avoided man in boxing’.

However, this may all soon change if he makes his proposed move up to the Super Middleweight.

Despite his overwhelming dominance against Curtis Stevens, which saw him land 49 percent of his power shots, Golovkin was caught on many occasions with quick and powerful counter punches from the challenger.
If he gifted the elite Super Middleweights such as Carl Froch and Andre Ward the same opportunities he offered Stevens he would surely pay a heavy price for his generosity.

For a moment, after Steven briefed rallied at the end of the 4th, landing several flush power shots right on the chin of Golovkin, much to the delight of the New York natives home crowd in Madison Square Garden’s theatre, I sensed there may have been a shock on the horizon.

But GGG quickly extinguished any fears of an upset by stalking Stevens remorselessly for the rest of the fight. The challenger, although not being hit with an abundance of clean shots, was forced into adopting a safety-first, cautious approach such was his suffocating pre-occupation with the punching power Golovkin possesses. Once the challenger conceded the centre of the ring to the champion- he was a lamb to the slaughter. Paradoxically, Golovkin’s predatory performance is exactly why I feel he will have serious problems asserting himself should he move up to Super Middleweight anytime soon.

The best 168lb fighters will not be bullied onto the ropes in the same manner Stevens was. Hence, Golovkin will be forced to stand in the centre of the ring and trade a lot more, a tactic he may not be overly keen to employ when faced with the awesome power of Carl Froch, or the unerring accuracy of Andre Ward.

And if the likes of Froch and Ward were able to find the target with a similar frequency as Stevens, then Golovkin could suddenly be in big trouble for the 1st time in his career. Some people will look at the punch connect stats for Stevens (97) and view it as a pretty paltry return. But on closer inspection you will see he only actually threw 303 blows, landing at an impressive connect percentage of 32%.

It is a cast iron guarantee that both Ward’s and especially Froch’s superior punch resistance- in comparison to Middleweights- would mean their own offensive instincts would not be overly compromised due to their concerns about the power Golovkin carries.

Consequently, his opponents at Super Middleweight would not have such a conservative punch output. They would far likely throw 100’s more punches than his current opponents do. And if the stats in the Stevens fight are an even vaguely accurate indicator, then Golovkin could suddenly have to absorb an additional 100 punches per fight – a lot of them power shots- from men who are taller, bigger and stronger than he is.

In such a scenario I suspect that Golvokin, the hunter, would become the hunted. It would be role reversal as he would be the man who is forced onto the back foot, bullied onto the ropes, and at risk of being beaten up by bigger fighters.

Like I said before, the best Super Middleweights will be confident their chin can hold Golovkin’s shots, and will have just as much conviction that they can bang with the big punching Kazakh in the heat of battle.

Conversely, Golovkin’s pristine professional record and great amateur pedigree allied to his illustrious boxing education, suggests he has the capacity to adjust his style in order to cope with the far more formidable challenges he would face in the 168lb weight class.

But he must consider his next course of action very carefully or he could run a real risk of tasting his own medicine in the near future. Because, one certainty at Super Middleweight is that the result of his fights would be far more uncertain than the four-gone conclusions they are at Middleweight.

Read more at Would Gennady Golovkin get a taste of his own medicine at Super Middleweight?

Jul 24, 2005
Schaefer: Khan is faster than Mayweather
November 7th, 2013 | Post Comment - 128 Comments
157Share 1 172Share 10Tweet

Khan Mayweather Khan vs. Mayweather floyd mayweather jr amir khan By Allan Fox: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer is hoping he can put together a fight between Amir Khan and Floyd Mayweather Jr. Schaefer believes that Khan’s large British fan base will help make the fight a huge success by them flying over from the UK to see the fight in the U.S. Interestingly enough, Schaefer doesn’t see the fight as a mismatch like most people view the Mayweather-Khan fight. Schaefer thinks that with Khan’s hand speed that he could give Mayweather a lot of problems. Schaefer rates Khan’s hand speed as better than Mayweather’s.

Schaefer said to RingTV “From a speed point of view, Mayweather is very, very fast and has very fast hands, but I am going to say that Amir Khan’s hands and hand-speed is faster than Floyd Mayweather’s, and that his footwork is exceptional as well…In the speed category, he is faster than Floyd Mayweather. We’ll see if that fight can be done. It’s a fascinating match-up.”

Khan might have an advantage in hand speed, but if he can’t take a hard shot from Mayweather without hitting the deck then it’s not going to be worth much for Khan to be the faster guy. He needs to be the smarter guy, and he needs to build up some chin resistance. Khan has said that he feels that his ability to take shots will be better now that he’s put on weight and is about to start fighting at 147. However, Khan didn’t do a great job of taking head shots in his last fight against Julio Diaz and that fight was at welterweight.

There shouldn’t be any reason why Schaefer can’t put together a fight between Khan and Mayweather. The only logical reason why he might have problems making the fight happen is if Khan is asking for too big of a purse split. If Khan wants too much money then Mayweather definitely will move on rather than paying him what he feels he’s not worth.

Khan might not bring in a lot of boxing fans in the U.S. because he doesn’t have a large fan base like Mayweather’s last opponent Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. It’s possible that Khan won’t be able to bring in the amount of fans that Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero did in his fight against Mayweather. A Khan-Mayweather fight could be a dud as far as bringing in PPV buys because of Khan’s lack of a fan base in the U.S.

Read more at Schaefer: Khan is faster than Mayweather

Jul 24, 2005
Austin Trout doubts Canelo will fight him again
November 7th, 2013 | Post Comment - 19 Comments
0Share 0 15Share 6Tweet

Trout Lara Trout vs. Lara saul alvarez erislandy lara austin trout By Dan Ambrose: Former WBA junior middleweight champion Austin Trout (26-1, 14 KO’s) was amused recently when he heard Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer saying that Saul “Canelo” Alvarez could end up facing the winner of Trout’s December 7th fight against Erislandy Lara (18-1-2, 12 KO’s) at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Trout doesn’t see Canelo fighting him or Lara, but he’s hoping that Schaefer will make that fight if he gets past Lara. Trout says he feels that he didn’t lose his fight against Canelo earlier this year. He initially agreed that he lost, but after watching the fight on replay, Trout felt that he either won the fight or it should have been scored draw.

Trout also wasn’t happy with the open scoring that was used for the fight, because he felt that it gave Canelo a huge advantage after the three judges’ lopsided scorecards were announced after the 4th round showing that they all had given Canelo almost every round despite the fact that he was getting out-boxed by Trout.

Trout told RingTV “That’s what they’re saying [about fighting the winner of Trout-Lara]. I know that they may be trying to save face, because I know that they don’t want to fight Lara. Now I aso know that they don’t want to fight me again. But at least that’s what they’re talking about, and I’m hoping that they keep their word…did I lose? [to Canelo] Definitely not. I don’t see how he won that fight.”

I agree with Trout on both issues. First off, I don’t think that Canelo will fight him even if he routes Lara next month. Canelo says he plans on fighting three times in 2014, and that means he’s going to need opponents in a bad way. But I don’t think Trout will be in his plans in 2014, 2015 of 2016. If Canelo is hard up for an opponent, I see him pooling from the welterweight division to find an opponent.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. created the blueprint in how to beat Canelo last September in winning a 12 round decision over him. Trout would simply follow Mayweather’s blueprint, without open scoring or Texas, and likely give Canelo a boxing lesson. Trout says it himself that he would have liked to have seen how his fight with Canelo would have gone had it taken place in Las Vegas, Nevada rather than Texas. The open scoring is another thing that would not be used if Trout were to fight Canelo again, and it would be interesting to see how Canelo would do against a fighter that is boxing him for 12 rounds instead of feeling like he has to take the fight to him due to the inflated scores given by three judges

Read more at Austin Trout doubts Canelo will fight him again

Jul 24, 2005
Sergio Martinez will fight Marco Antonio Rubio if Miguel Cotto faces someone else

By Kory Kitchen K @kory Kitchen32 on Nov 8 2013, 4:48p 23
Alexander Hassenstein
Get the latest Global Boxing News and Commentary news with Bad Left Hook
Follow Bad Left Hook on Twitter
Like Bad Left Hook Facebook

Sergio Martinez's camp has made an offer to Marco Antonio Rubio in the event that Miguel Cotto ends up fighting someone else, namely Canelo.

With the huge offer of at least $10 million to face Canelo Alvarez on the table, other potential opponents of Miguel Cotto may as well just move on to other pasture for the time being, and that's exactly what Sergio Martinez's camp is getting a plan together for.

Recognizing the likelihood of a superfight with Cotto is now out of the question, Martinez's advisor Sampson Lewkowicz has said that they have made an offer to Martinez's WBC mandatory Marco Antonio Rubio. In a Boxing Scene article by Rene Umanzor, Lewkowicz says that the fight would take place at a stadium in Argentina, and HBO is probably not going to be interested.

"We've already made Rubio a firm proposal to go to Argentina. Unfortunately, the broadcasters who make the fights in the United States, HBO, is not interested (in the fight). For that reason the fight has to be in South America. Sergio promised (WBC president Jose) Sulaiman that he would do his mandatory fight. In Argentina they love the idea of (Martinez facing) a Mexican, so it's all geared for that fight. Hopefully in 30 days we can specify the date. In 24 hours we can have a sell out.

"Cotto must make a decision. If he wants to make history on the 7th of June in a stadium with 50,000 people, then perfect, but if not - we'll put 50,000 people in Buenos Aires against Rubio."

So, in other words, it looks like Martinez will be taking on Rubio. Like Harold Lederman, I gotta tell ya, I'm not too excited for Martinez/Rubio. We've all seen Rubio before, many times in fact. He's a solid, workmanlike fighter who will show up, probably win a couple rounds, then gradually tire before losing a decision.

To say this fight is underwhelming would be an understatement. There are other middleweights out there who deserve a shot at the real middleweight champion of the world. Screw the WBC. This wouldn't be so bad if Martinez fought more often and was just taking a quick, in-between-big-fights kind of deal, but he only fought one time this year and his body requires more repair than a VCR from the Reagan Era.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Golovkin vs. Murray Deal Reached For February 1
Click Here To Email Printable version Search BoxingScene Database*

By Edward Chaykovsky

British contender Martin Murray (25-1-1, 11KOs) indicates that he reached an agreement to face WBA/IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (28-0, 25KOs) on February 1 in Monte Carlo. Murray will first stay sharp with a keep-busy fight on November 23rd on the Froch-Groves undercard in Mancherster.

It will be Murray's third shot at a title, with going to a controversial draw decision with Felix Sturm in 2011 and then losing a close decision to Sergio Martinez in April. According to Daily Mail, Murray is expected to earn around $500,000 (£312,000) for the shot.

Golovkin has been unable to face Murray in the United States, due to Murray's inability to obtain a visa. Murray had been scheduled to face Garth Wood on December 11th, but the fight was canceled a few days ago. Golovkin has a huge 2013 - with knockout wins over Nobuhiro Ishida, Curtis Stevens, Gabe Rosado and Matthew Macklin.