Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Broner is going to die of aids raw dicking these bitches.
it's crazy to raw dog any random hoe! But when your in the spotlight these whores are even worst then your average hoe on the street.. You have to all most always assume a bitch is trying to turn a trick when you got bread!.I swear Running up in groupies raw could cost him money or his life (Tommy Morrision

Jul 24, 2005
Deontay to Fury: It’s game over for you once I get the WBC title
October 29th, 2013 | Post Comment - 9 Comments
0Share 0 3Share 3Tweet

Wilder Fury Wilder vs. Fury tyson fury deontay wilder By Scott Gilfoid: Unbeaten American heavyweight Deontay Wilder (30-0, 30 KO’s) intends on finishing the Tyson Fury (21-0, 15 KO’s) hype machine after Deontay picks up the WBC heavyweight title next year. Deontay, 28, says he’ll give Fury a title shot in order to knock him out. In other words, Deontay, 6’7″, won’t make Fury wait the way that Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko have done with him. He’s doing to give the 6’9″ Fury an immediate shot at his title so that he can expose him.

Deontay said on his twitter “Tyson Fury, come my friend, I will make it worth your while. Besides, once I get this WBC belt, it’s game over for you all!”

Fury said “The biggest fight of my era will be against Bronze Bomber [Deontay]! But I will knock him out.”

What’s really too bad about all of this is that the likely only way that Deontay and Fury will be able to fight is if Deontay is feeling charitable to still give Fury a title shot after he gets knocked out by David Haye next February. That loss should sent Fury to the back of the line for a couple of years while he rebuilds himself, but Deontay is a pretty nice guy and he’s going to need an opponent that can talk a good game. That’s why Deontay will likely still give Fury a crack at his title even if he gets knocked out by David Haye in the 1st or 2nd round in February. It would be good for boxing if Fury were able to beat Haye because that would set up the war of the gargantuans between Deontay and Fury, but it’s not likely that Fury will be able to make it past Haye in one piece. Fury just hasn’t had the experience and now show the kind of talent that would make you think that he can beat Haye.

We saw last Saturday that Deontay can handle tall opponents with his 4th round destruction of the 6’6″ Nicolai Firtha. This is the same fighter that staggered Fury in the 4th round of their fight in 2011 and had him ready to go near the end of the round. Fury had to clinch in order to survive. Although Fury did come back to get a stoppage in the 5th, it was pretty clear that Fury did not handle the power of Firtha very well. Deontay is so much faster and stronger than Firtha is, and he’s done a great job of developing his jab and left hook. Those are both becoming serious weapons for him

Read more at Deontay to Fury: It’s game over for you once I get the WBC title

Jul 24, 2005
Juan Manuel Marquez Ditches Retirement Talk, Mexican Wants Immediate Rematch With Bradley

by Jordan Stoddart

The Boxing Observer Oct. 28, 2013 - Former four-weight world champion Juan Manuel Marquez has reportedly ditched any notion of retiring and is instead are-focusing on an immediate rematch with Timothy Bradley. The Mexican was thoroughly outclassed by his American counterpart earlier this month with the defeat dashing any hope of the former lightweight king capturing a record breaking five-weight title haul. We told you here after the fight that the Manny Pacquiao-slayer was contemplating quitting boxing in light of the confidence sapping defeat to a younger, fresher and hungrier Bradley. It would appear Marquez is now intend on getting revenge on his rival, although he still insists he was on the end of a poor points decision; something which many fight fans will not agree with.

“I’m sad for what happened in my last fight, because I needed to win. I was more focused and stronger, but as I look to the future. What motivates me is a rematch with Bradley. Nothing else could take place if I don’t carry out this fight. I have to settle this issue with Timothy Bradley, as long as he accepts a rematch, because I want to make it clear who won on the 12th of October. Right now I’m not thinking about other opponents, I’m more interested in making a rematch against Bradley to make it clear who is who. I already talked a bit with my trainer Nacho Beristain and we feel that is the best option,” Marquez stated.

Jul 24, 2005
Donaire Intensifies Training For Nov 9 Date With Darchinyan

By Ed de la Vega, DDS
PhilBoxing.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2013

Nonito Donaire Jr drove from his house in Las Vegas almost 300 miles down to Oxnard, CA to train at the Robert Garcia Boxing Academy early today.

With Donaire Jr were his dad, Nonito Sr and a sparmate, Filipino boxer, Marvin Mabait.

Donaire did the usual routine beginning with the taping of his hands by Robert Garcia and then doing the mitts with his dad.

Donaire did six rounds of sparring with one of the young Mexican boxers who trains at the gym followed by 4 rounds with Mabait.

Donaire today hit the scales at 131 pounds exactly where his Team wants him to be. With his fight against the aging Vic Darchinyan of Armenia still 12 days away, Team Donaire does not think making the weight will be a problem. He could easily lose 1 pound every two days and be at or under the 126 limit on weigh-in day.

Donaire flies to Corpus Christie, Texas on Saturday to join the Top Rank folks in hyping his fight during fight week.

The fight with Donaire fulfills Darchinyan’s long sought re-match with the Filipino Flash since he was made to do the chicken dance and knocked out silly by Donaire back in Bridgeport, Connecticut in July of 2007.

The Donaire-Darchinyan fight happen at the American Bank Center at Corpus Christie on November 9, 2013.

Jul 24, 2005
Broner vs Maidana: Fighters make statements at first press conference

By Scott Christ S @scott christBLH on Oct 31 2013, 5:13p +
Ethan Miller

Adrien Broner and Marcos Maidana are itching to get at one another, as the two will meet on December 14, live on Showtime from San Antonio.
Tweet (1) Share (10) Share + Comments

Adrien Broner and Marcos Maidana are set for battle on December 14, when Broner defends his WBA welterweight title against the hard-punching Argentinean fan favorite on Showtime from San Antonio. The two met up today for their first press conference to officially announce the fight, and each made a strong opening statement.

"Maidana is one-dimensional and not in my league," said Broner (27-0, 22 KO). "I'm a Ferrari and he's a go-kart and my fans will see that in my return to Texas. It's been over four years since I've fought there and I'm going to put on a show. Watch me light Maidana up like a Christmas tree on Dec. 14."

"Everyone knows that Broner has a big mouth, but that doesn't bother me, because his mouth can't fight for him," said Maidana (34-3, 31 KO). "Whether he has the guts to stand in front of me or if he runs I'll definitely go for the KO and either way, I'm leaving the ring with the belt."

Promoter Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions is also excited about the matchup, as most are, and says he's expecting a late entry into the Fight of the Year race.

"On paper this is the classic boxer versus puncher matchup, but Broner is also willing to stand and trade and Maidana can box, so I'm expecting this to be a Fight of the Year candidate to end 2013," said CEO of Golden Boy Promotions Schaefer. "There's a lot on the line for both fighters and I can't wait to see who comes out of the 'Danger Zone' with the belt."

San Antonio appears to be a new regular destination for Golden Boy, who seem intent on building regular followings in cities that support boxing. Golden Boy has of course run in and around the LA area for years at venues like the Staples Center (which has not proven itself as a boxing venue) and the StubHub Center (which has), and of course has their deal with the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, which has really worked out wonderfully. 40,000 fans came out for Canelo-Trout in April of this year, opening some eyes to San Antonio as a potential major fight city.

Local promoter Mike Battah, who works with Golden Boy when they're in Texas, believes it can be one.

"With five amazing fights and boxing's top stars, I can't think of anyplace better to have this event than in San Antonio," said Battah, the President of Leija*Battah Promotions. "As shown with the Canelo Alvarez-Austin Trout fight, this is a city that loves and supports the sport, and I can't wait to see the Alamodome filled once again on Dec. 14."

Showtime's Stephen Espinoza has led a minor revolution in the American boxing game, working closely with Golden Boy and raising the network's profile substantially in 2013. He believes this is a fitting end to a big year.

"This has been an outstanding year for boxing on Showtime, and I can't think of any better way to end 2013 than with a stacked card like this one. Adrien Broner vs Marcos Maidana is a dream matchup between two of the biggest names in the welterweight division. Keith Thurman and Jesus Soto Karass are two of the most aggressive, hard-hitting fighters in any division," said Espinoza. "We've also got one of the sport's top young fighters in Leo Santa Cruz. Add in the return of Victor Ortiz, and it's clear that this truly is a can't-miss event. It's a pay per view-quality event without the pay per view price tag."

The undercard will feature Thurman vs Soto Karass, Victor Ortiz vs Alfonso Gomez, and a pair of world title fights, as Leo Santa Cruz takes on Cesar Seda Jr in a 122-pound WBC title fight, and Beibut Shumenov defends his WBA 175-pound belt against Tamas Kovacs.

Jul 24, 2005
DEMETRIUS ANDRADE READY TO DEFEAT VANES MARTIROSYAN: "THIS IS THE OPPORTUNITY I'VE WAITED FOR"
By Press Release | October 31, 2013

As he prepares to break his Atlanta training camp on Tuesday, undefeated 2008 U.S. Olympian Demetrius "Boo Boo" Andrade (19-0, 13 KOs) has fully prepared himself for his November 9th showdown with 2004 U.S. Olympian Vanes "Nightmare" Martirosyan (33-0-1, 21 KOs) for the vacant World Boxing Organization (WBO) junior middleweight championship.

Andrade vs. Martirosyan will be part of an HBO tripleheader, airing live from Corpus Christi, Texas. The main event is a WBO junior lightweight title fight between defending champion Roman Martinez and challenger Mikey Garcia, while former world champions Nonito Donaire and Vic Darchinyan clash in the co-feature.

Andrade, fighting out of Providence (RI), is co-promoted by Joe DeGuardia's Star Boxing and Artie Pelullo's Banner Promotions.

"We (Star Boxing and Banner Promotions) have worked together the past five years as Demetrius' promoter and it is Demetrius' time to show the World his talents," Star Boxing president Joe DeGuardia said. "I've been on the road a lot in October, including my trip to Orlando for Delvin Rodriguez' fight with (Miguel) Cotto, and Artie and I went to Atlanta last week to Demetrius' training camp. Camp is winding down and Demetrius looks to be in top shape and ready to go. Next week we all head to Texas and are all looking forward to watching Demetrius win the world title."

The 25-year-old Andrade was originally scheduled to challenge then WBO champion Zaurbek Baysangurov last July, but the Russian pulled out of the fight with an injury and was stripped of his title belt, leaving the world title vacant for the Nov. 9 world title fight between the top two rated WBO 154-pounders, respectively, Martirosyan and Andrade.

"This is the opportunity I've waited for my whole life," Andrade remarked. "I was supposed to fight for the world title in July but I believe everything happens for a reason. I've had more time to work with my dad (head trainer Paul Andrade). I'm stronger, faster and this camp has been better organized and structured than any I've had in the past."

In addition to becoming the first member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic Boxing Team to win a world title as a professional, the gifted 25-year-old southpaw can also become the first native New Englander to be world champion of a major governing body since Massachusetts-born heavyweight John "The Quietman" Ruiz in 2005.

"I'm coming for him (Martirosyan) and he doesn't know how bad that's going to be for him," the 2007 AIBA World amateur champion added. "This is my time!"

Jul 24, 2005
James Kirkland to again reunite with trainer Ann Wolfe

By Scott Christ S @scott christBLH on Oct 31 2013, 10:30a 46
Scott Heavey

James Kirkland's latest comeback effort will again include trainer Ann Wolfe after a scheduling conflict with Bob Santos.

Few fighter-trainer relationships have been as fascinating in recent years as the one between troubled Texas slugger James Kirkland and former women's world champion Ann Wolfe, and the two will be getting back together as recently-hired trainer Bob Santos has a scheduling conflict that has taken him out of Kirkland's team.

Santos will be training Erislandy Lara for his finalized December 7 fight on Showtime against Austin Trout, while Kirkland (31-1, 27 KO) also fights that night on HBO, facing Glen Tapia. Wolfe and Kirkland have had a few splits in the past and a somewhat rocky relationship overall, which owes mostly, it seems, to Kirkland's troubles with the law often delaying his career, as well as Kirkland's most recent hold-up, which was more about getting out of his deal with Golden Boy Promotions and his management.

But Wolfe has always said she'd be there for Kirkland, and with an opening for James' team, they're back together. Will they pick up where they left off? Will Kirkland, who hasn't fought since March 2012, be able to physically handle a typical Ann Wolfe training camp, considered notoriously brutal?

Jul 24, 2005
Victor Ortiz looking for new opponent for December 14th bout
October 31st, 2013 | Post Comment - 15 Comments
30Share 1 298Share 4Tweet

victor ortiz By Dan Ambrose: Former WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz (29-4-2, 22 KO’s) is in need of a new opponent for his December 14th fight on the undercard of the Adrien Broner vs. Marcos Maidana card at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. Ortiz’s previously scheduled opponent Alfonso Gomez suffered a hand injury after tripping and falling down while carrying his daughter, according to ESPN. Ortiz will remain on the card, but Golden Boy Promotions will have to find a replacement in the next couple of weeks.

Eric Gomez is Golden Promotions told ESPN “He broke his hand in a freak accident. Carrying his baby daughter, he tripped and fell. Protecting her, he fell on his arm and broke his hand.”

It’s good to hear that Alfonso was able to protect his daughter from injury.

Ortiz will need an opponent that is good but not too good because he’s been out of the ring since June of last year after getting beaten by Josesito Lopez. Ortiz could have beaten Lopez but he used the wrong approach to doing it by attempting to box him. The way to beat Lopez is to come out fast and bludgeon him into submission the way that Maidana and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez did. But Ortiz let Lopez hang around too long and ended up taking a lot of punishment from him. That was Ortiz’s mistake. He probably could steamrolled over this guy if he’d gone all out in the first 6 rounds instead of boxing and punching. The way that Ortiz fought, he gave Lopez confidence by backing up from him instead of going forward and making him back up the whole time.

Golden Boy will likely be looking to find a decent opponent for Ortiz given the high visibility of the card on Showtime. It won’t look good if Ortiz faces a soft opponent and all the rest of the fights on the card are interesting ones.

Read more at Victor Ortiz looking for new opponent for December 14th bout