Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
Man that would be even more bananas. It would be another fight of the year candidate but Rios would stop Lucas between 6-8 rounds. Very similar to last nights fight. Got Em!!
Im on the fence there.

I love Lucas as a fighter. He straight up get's in it and So does Rios.

I have to give the power edge to Rios of course but Lucas has showed he can take some shots. Lucas has the upper hand on the boxing.

What a great fight that would potentially be!

Feb 3, 2006
Im on the fence there.

I have to give the power edge to Rios of course but Lucas has showed he can take some shots. Lucas has the upper hand on the boxing.

Rios got hurt a few times against Mike. Lucas has never been hurt in fight against Judah, Devon, and Soto. The only fights Lucas lose was the fights that he gave up too many early rounds. Lucas would KO Rios in 5 to 6 rounds.
Rios vs Garcia would be a 50/50 fight.

Jul 24, 2005
FLOYD MAYWEATHER: "I'M LOYAL TO WHO I'M WITH...I STICK WITH MY TEAM"
By Ben Thompson | October 16, 2012

"It speaks for itself. I love Al Haymon. Of course, any friends are going to bump heads, but at the end of the day, I'm loyal to who I'm with," stated undefeated pound-for-pound champion Floyd Mayweather when asked for his thoughts on FightHype's recent news regarding an attempted coup to break up the working relationship between himself and his long-time influential advisor Al Haymon. Although Mayweather did not wish to comment too much on the subject, he made it crystal clear that he's 100% loyal to his team and regardless of any disagreements they may have on a subject, nothing and no one can come between them.

"Me and Leonard been through a lot of ups and downs together, but at the end of the day, he's in my corner. He ride with me and I ride with him. I stick with my team. I'm loyal to my team. When you're dealing with certain individuals, at least you know who you're dealing with," Mayweather continued. "You just go through up and downs. Me and Leonard never went through no hate relationship. Sometimes he sees things his way, sometimes I see things my way, but we always can iron things out and, at the end of the day, get the job done, in business or in our relationship. We don't always see eye to eye, me and Al don't always see eye to eye, but we get the business taken care of at the end of the day."

Although Mayweather never mentioned if the letter sent to him by Tommy Summers had any impact on his relationship with long-time friend 50 Cent, he did recall a story that one might think draws comparison's to the rapper's attempt to become a boxing promoter. "People try to keep the negative stuff going. Like I said before, I know they said there was a bunch of fighting going on at the Hip Hop Awards, but I just went there to watch the performers perform and that was it. I had fun, me and Earl Hayes. We're working on The Money Team Compilation album and it's some good music. Earl Hayes is an excellent artist. We bumped heads in the past because people got in his ear telling him certain things, but we're back together and we just want to have fun," he explained. "We're not saying we're here to take over the rap game or hip hop or the music business. We just want to have some fun and give the people good music. That's it. That's all we want to do. We're not greedy. We feel there's enough to go around."

Props: JLMACN
Jul 24, 2005
BUNDRAGE SIGNS WITH GOLDEN BOY PROMOTIONS
By David Kassel | October 16, 2012

"Just signed with Golden Boy. Christmas came early this year," stated IBF jr. middleweight champion Cornelius "K9" Bundrage, who just revealed that he signed a promotional agreement with Golden Boy Promotions. Bundrage was originally looking forward to facing former welterweight champion Andre Berto, but that bout fell through when Berto instead decided to face WBC interim welterweight champion Robert Guerrero. Although he has yet to solidify a date or an opponent for his next fight, the fact that he signed with Golden Boy Promotions means he'll have a number of options available to him, including bouts with Alfredo Angulo, James Kirkland, Erislandy Lara, or fellow jr. middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez.

Previously signed with Don King, Bundrage became a free agent prior to his last title defense against Cory Spinks back in June. When Golden Boy Promotions won the purse bid to promote that bout, many had assumed at the time that Bundrage would eventually be picked up by the promotional company. Several months later, it appears that assumption came to fruition. Bundrage is now looking forward to bigger and better opportunities for his career.

May 6, 2002
Rios got hurt a few times against Mike. Lucas has never been hurt in fight against Judah, Devon, and Soto. The only fights Lucas lose was the fights that he gave up too many early rounds. Lucas would KO Rios in 5 to 6 rounds.
Just stop talking already.
No one listens to you.
Actually, they all cringe and discredit everything you say.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Im on the fence there.

Actually power wise Im not sure who has more power. Lucas hits like a rock also. It might be about even. I just think Rios would hurt Lucas before Lucas hurts him. Got Em!!

Lucas sold what, 900 tickets? Literally.
DLH is in dream land with this one...
Yea tru man that crowd was pathetic. He did also fight someone with an even lower name. I think Rios would help bring in some nice tickets. Got Em!!

I dont think Rios got hurt a few times if at all. Everytime Mike hit him with a good shot Rios immediately fired back. Even in the interview when asked if he was hurt, he said yea but he didnt show it and to me he didnt show it. So for us watching I dont think he was stunned and if he was he didnt show it. Just my take on it. Got Em!!

Props: JLMACN
Feb 8, 2006
Rios was hurt, look at his face lol(fuck what he showed!) he was taking bombs from Alvarado(they both were). Rios heart won him the fight imo. Alvarado could of boxed him and won, but he chose to brawl instead and payed for it. I would love to see a rematch.

Props: bigface

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Rios was hurt, look at his face lol(fuck what he showed!) he was taking bombs from Alvarado(they both were). Rios heart won him the fight imo. Alvarado could of boxed him and won, but he chose to brawl instead and payed for it. I would love to see a rematch.
Just because your face looks bad doesnt mean u were necessarily hurt. Did Chavez Jr. get hurt against Sergio? Maybe stunned at a time or 2 but never really hurt but his face looked bad. Im talking about being hurt on your feet. Rios looked aware at all times and threw punches at will and no backing up. Thats just my take. If some of yall thought he was hurt thats fine but I didnt. Got Em!!

Feb 8, 2006
shit thats Rios style, hes a brawler( smaller version of Margarito imo) he likes to break your will and take a lot of punches in the process. Rios has a great chin and heart I give him that, but saying he wasn't hurt is jokes to me. both fighters were in a tough fight that I loved. Rios heart got him the victory imo.

Feb 23, 2006
Yup dlh is stupid. Why not rios vs the winner of garcia morales fight.....he trying to keep all them belts in gbp.how come he never made lucas vs khan,garcia,morales. Golden boy dont do shit for lucas

Feb 3, 2006
shit thats Rios style, hes a brawler( smaller version of Margarito imo) he likes to break your will and take a lot of punches in the process. Rios has a great chin and heart I give him that, but saying he wasn't hurt is jokes to me. both fighters were in a tough fight that I loved. Rios heart got him the victory imo.
Can't have said it better. Great chin, big heart, and that I don't give a fuck attitude explains Rios.

Jun 12, 2003
who you guys got ghost or berto???
am taking ghost obvioulsy lol...cuz hes so hungry and amp up to make big money..his first million for this fight...iv seen him been through hella shit and hes not gunna let berto stop his shine...for bigger pay days...

Jul 24, 2005
Haye squawking about a contract with Vitali already being agreed upon
October 17th, 2012 | Post Comment

Klitschko Haye Klitschko vs. Haye wladimir klitschko david haye By Scott Gilfoid: David Haye (26-2, 24 KO’s) must really want a fight with WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko awfully bad, because he’s talking about a contract with him even before there’s been given to him. It’s like asking for dinner when it’s breakfast time. Vitali isn’t offering Haye anything.

Vitali is right in the middle of his political elections and here Haye is flapping his gums for anyone who wants to hear him talk about a Vitali fight. Good god, man, and have some patience.

Haye said to the Dailymail.co.uk “The fight has already been agreed, the contract’s done, the money, the split, everything. We don’t need a new contract. The contract’s not as good as it was against Wladimir but I don’t expect that because I’m the challenger now. It’s fair, I’ll survive and it gives me a chance to get the WBC back.”

Haye went onto say that if he was to beat Vitali, which isn’t going to happen, Haye might have to fight Wladimir again. I really don’t think Haye should worry about those kinds of things. He’ll be lucky if he doesn’t get knocked out. It’s going to be a lopsided loss for Haye, if the fight even takes place and it might not. If Vitali gets elected to office in Ukraine, then Haye can forget all about a fight with him, because Vitali’s political career is much more important than some silly fight against a guy his brother already easily beat last year.

It goes without saying that Haye is going to get a lousy deal in terms of the money split for a fight between him and Vitali, but what does he expect? He’s a challenger, and a rusty one at that. Haye doesn’t bring much to the table anymore because he’s a part time fighter now and hasn’t done squat to try and redeem himself after his shellacking by Wladimir.

Jul 24, 2005
Donaire: I need another warrior like Nishioka that comes to fight
October 17th, 2012 | Post Comment

Donaire Nishioka Donaire vs. Nishioka toshiaki nishioka nonito donaire By Chris Williams: Even after defeating former WBC super bantamweight champion Toshiaki Nishioka (39-5-3 24 KO’s) by a 9th round TKO in one of HBO’s most dullest, non-action pack fights of the year, Donaire was still trying to sell Nishioka as being a good opponent by talking about how good he was.

Donaire said to ESPN after the fight “I hope I can get another warrior like Nishioka, who comes to fight.”

First off, I don’t know how ESPN let Doniare get away with making that comment without speaking on the obvious by pointing out that Nishioka hardly was coming to fight. And second, Nishioka hardly fought like a warrior. His performance was the anti-warrior by fighting in a safety first style for most of the fight.

So what does Donaire mean by saying he hopes he can get “another warrior like Nishioka”? Is that code for he wants another easy fight? I don’t want to see Donaire fighting another warrior like Nishioka, not if it means that the guy will hang back and not fight. If that’s what Donaire calls a warrior then I want an anti-warrior.

Donaire’s promoter Bob Arum really needs to step it up three or four levels in terms of competition for Donaire, because dragging the 36-year-old Nishioka, who is on the verge of retirement, is hardly good for boxing fans and I don’t think anyone bought that line of bull that was being tossed around about Nishioka being the best fighter in the super bantamweight division. To believe that you’d have to know zero about boxing and would have to have lived in a cave as far as following the sport. If you’re just going to go by what Donaire has been saying about Nishioka being the best, then you’ll believe it. But lets be real Nishioka or even close to being the best. Nishioka was more like the worst, and it’s pretty sad that Donaire wants another “Warrior” just like Nishioka.

I can idea for Arum and Donaire. About fighting Guillermo Rigondeaux instead of guys like Nishioka and Jeffrey Mathebula. I know Arum wants to match Donaire up against Jorge Arce next, but how about matching him against someone that actually can still fight and isn’t undersized like Arce? That’s a terrible mismatch, and it looks like Arum would be putting the fight together for money purposes only, kind of like when his #1 cash cow fighter Manny Pacquiao was matched against the totally shot Shane

Props: trips
Jul 24, 2005
Manny Pacquiao signs extension
Updated: October 13, 2012, 12:50 AM ET
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Email
Print

MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. -- Manny Pacquiao, boxing's only eight-division champion, has signed a contract extension with promoter Top Rank that will keep the Filipino icon with the company through the end of 2014, chairman Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Friday.

"Manny's contract with Top Rank runs out on Dec. 31, 2013, and we've extended the contract for yet another year, to Dec. 31, 2014," Arum said before the weigh-in for Saturday's Nonito Donaire-Toshiaki Nishioka junior featherweight championship fight.

Arum said the deal was ironed out last month when Pacquiao was in the United States for the media tour to promote his fourth fight against Juan Manuel Marquez, a welterweight showdown Dec. 8 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"I'll confirm that Manny has signed an extension," Michael Koncz, Pacquiao's adviser, told ESPN.com. "The extension was done very quickly. A few phone calls back and forth, and it was done. It was a 10-minute thing at the most.

Rafael's Boxing Blog

Rafael Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

"Manny and I went through the contract before he flew home to the Philippines (after the media tour), but the discussions were between me and Arum, and then maybe two or three phone calls between me and Manny, and the extension was done in a matter of 10 minutes. It was not a lengthy process."

Arum also said Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 KOs) received a $1 million signing bonus with the opportunity to receive another $1 million "if there are two fights in 2014. But a million, he's got already."

Koncz would not confirm the dollar amount.

"I never comment on Manny's money. There was a bonus involved, but I'm not going to disclose the amount," Koncz said.

Top Rank has promoted Pacquiao since early 2006, when it signed him for a rematch against Erik Morales, whom he wound up fighting three times.

Under Top Rank's guidance, Pacquiao, now a congressman in the Philippines, won titles in five of the eight weight classes he has been champion in and became a worldwide star.

"He said he's happy for the deal and happy for the bonus, but there was no way he was going to leave me until his career was over," Arum said. "It wasn't like he was putting any pressure on me (for the extension). I don't want to give that impression. He certainly wasn't."

Arum also said that while Pacquiao was scheduled to return to the United States on Sunday to begin his training camp next week for the Marquez fight at trainer Freddie Roach's Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, Calif., he had decided to delay his arrival until Oct. 27, but will work out in the Philippines in the meantime.

One of the reasons for the delay is his congressional schedule, said Arum, who had hoped Pacquiao would turn his total focus to preparing for the fight and put his political career on the backburner for the next two months.

Jul 24, 2005
Schaefer: The Lights are almost out in Arumville
by Rick Reeno

Last week, BoxingScene.com published a story where Top Rank's CEO, Bob Arum, discussed several items that were connected to his promotional adversary, Golden Boy Promotions, and their CEO Richard Schaefer.

One item in particular was related to a potential unification fight between super bantamweight champions Nonito Donaire and Abner Mares.

Arum said the fight was possible for 2013 - once Mares' contract expires with Golden Boy. A few days later he made a similar comment to BoxingScene's Chris Robinson.

“Well, if Mares wins the fight [against Anelmo Moreno on 11/10], his contract is expiring with Golden Boy and so he can do that fight,” stated Arum.

According to Schaefer, the Golden Boy legal team is already on the case. While Schaefer would not elaborate on the legal specifics, one boxing attorney believes Arum's comments are being viewed as indirectly influencing Mares to make a decision on the future of his promotional affiliation.

In the same article, Arum stated that Schaefer was "owned by Showtime" and there were some allegations related to Golden Boy's conduct during the failed negotiations to make a fight between welterweights Timothy Bradley and Robert Guerrero.

"HBO interceded," Arum said, "and they offered Schaefer $1.2 million. And Schaefer offered Guerrero $600,000 out of the $1.2 million. Now, anybody who does that is reprehensible. But worse than that, somebody who professes to have formed this company to aid the fighters and not take advantage of them - that's even worse. So it wasn't the fact that Guerrero was being greedy, he wanted his fair share of the $1.2 million."

Schaefer sat down with BoxingScene to discuss a variety of items, including Arum's comments from last week.

BoxingScene.com: Schaefer's thoughts on Arum's comments related to Mares
Schaefer: I'm going to have our attorneys deal with it. He is wrong with his comments on many levels. I'm going to leave it at that. I am so over Bob Arum that I could really care less what the guy says. I am going to deal with it accordingly. The time when I got worked up over all the sh*t the guy says - those days are done. The fact is, look at his stable...he can't even get fights done. It's a sinking ship and I don't have the time to talk about a sinking ship.

Obviously it's undermining an existing and a valid fighter contract with comments like that. It's clear [those comments] will have legal repercussions, that goes without saying. Again, I'm not going to deal with it because it just shows you, for example with Guerrero, he never wanted to do a Bradley-Guerrero fight. Otherwise he could do an Abner Mares [vs. Donaire fight] but he doesn't want to do that. He only wants to do things his way. The same with the [Floyd] Mayweather thing, he can tell you what he wants but unless he is totally in control of everything he doesn't want to do fights. When he did the fight with Chavez and Martinez, he was in charge of everything and I know why but I'm not going to go there.

BoxingScene.com: Response to Arum's claim that "Schaefer is owned by Showtime" and the allegations regarding Golden Boy's conduct in the Bradley-Guerrero negotiations.
Schaefer: Months ago he said I'm running Showtime and now he says Showtime owns us, so he should get his stories straight. As it relates to Robert, this was guy who was lying yesterday, was lying today and is still going to lie tomorrow. He is never going to change. Again, those statements about Robert were totally false. We believe in maximizing the revenues for our fighters and now Robert is getting a seven-figure payday [against Andre Berto on 11/24].

I'm glad that he's starting to realize that marinating one fight after another [is not the way], with tuneup after tuneup after tuneup - will finally lead to maybe another year of marinating and then maybe you can make the fight
I am happy to see that he is taking a page out of the Golden Boy playbook, which basically means to put the best against the best. Mares-Moreno, I don't know who is going to win.....great fight. Adrien Broner-Antonio Demarco...great fight. Robert Guerrero and Andre Berto....great fight. These are fights that fight fans wants to see. It's going to be a November and December to remember.

BoxingScene.com: In closing, Schaefer advised Arum to direct his attention to the issues related to Top Rank - including the situation with welterweight champion Timothy Bradley, who rejected a planned rematch with Lamont Peterson on December 15 and then publicly contradicted statements by Arum and manager Cameron Dunkin.

Schaefer: How do you think Timothy Bradley feels? His manager and his promoter are telling the world that his foot is injured. And then the next day [Bradley says] my foot is not injured. And then they are talking about a [Manny] Pacquiao fight....'for Pacquiao we are going to do Brandon Rios in April.' Bradley's name doesn't even come across their lips. And then for December 15th, they don't even mention Bradley's name...they say we are going to do Donaire against Arce from Mexico.
Bob Arum should worry about his own stuff. Because I will tell you one thing - the lights are almost out in Arumville. He should really worry about his own stuff and not be sooooo, soooo, soooo preoccupied with us - and come up with all of these things. It was a good fight the other night [with Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado], he should just keep doing that. Don't worry about what Golden Boy is doing and just worry about your own stuff. That's my advice to the old man.

You can not underestimated intelligence of the fights fans. The fight fans, they get it. They get it - that this is a guy who was lying yesterday, he's lying today and he will still be lying tomorrow. They get it. Look at those blogs, what people and fight fans say about the guy. I don't even want to repeat it here.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Aye man we can always agree to disagree. I just dont think Alvarado ever had Rios hurt. He was alert at all times but its no biggie. He won the fight and did so brutally like he is expected. Hurt or not he did take some punches to the head that left him looking like he was indeed hurt lol. The chin is a beast! Got Em!!

who you guys got ghost or berto???
am taking ghost obvioulsy lol...cuz hes so hungry and amp up to make big money..his first million for this fight...iv seen him been through hella shit and hes not gunna let berto stop his shine...for bigger pay days...
This is a tough one. I am leaning Berto but I need to think about it. Got Em!!