Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Porter: Thurman is not ducking me, the business is
Ryan O'Hara
By Ryan O'Hara August 30, 2015 19:23
Related Articles

Hernandez-Harrison Returns to Action on November 1 0 08.Oct
Deontay Wilder and the Boxing Pessimists 0 06.Jan
Gabriel Rosado: Ishe Gon Fight A Duck Instead Of Me 0 18.Apr

Shawn PorterPrior to Shane Mosley’s sixth-round knockout of Ricardo Mayorga on Saturday, Tha Boxing Voice’s Sean Zittel caught up with former IBF World welterweight champion Shawn Porter, who was in attendance to support Mosley.

A week ago, Ken Porter, Shawn’s father and trainer, told 5 Star Boxing that Thurman had yet to respond to a phone call about making the fight a reality. As a result, accusations began to mount that the current WBA World champion was ducking the fight.

Porter brought up a Q&A session that he conducted on Twitter from last week where he answered a question from a fan that asked if he thought Thurman was ducking him.

“Thurman is not ducking me. The business is,” Porter stated on Twitter last Tuesday.

Porter attempted to explicate further his reasoning to Zittel.

“What I mean by that is the business has to make sense,” Porter explained. “Everyone out there, be patient. We’ve both been sitting. This fight will come, but even if it makes sense, we’re fighters. We’re ready to fight anytime, anyplace.”

Handling disappointment goes a long way as a professional fighter. There is absolutely no time to dwell over a fight that couldn’t be made at that exact moment. Porter understands that his responsibility is to stay in shape and be ready for any opportunity that comes his way.

That approach should keep him fresh when the Thurman opportunity presents itself.

“I’m taking on who they tell me to take on. I’m going to try and keep knocking them down and keep moving and progressing,” he added.

“This fight will happen. I don’t know when, but it will happen.”

Porter is also open to fighting former unified 140 lb. champion Danny Garcia and traveled to Brooklyn to observe his fight against former two-division world champion Paulie Malignaggi, but was left shrugging his shoulders.

“Like a lot of people, I wasn’t too impressed. We’ll see if we get that fight soon.”

Jul 24, 2005
Porter prefers Maidana for next fight
James Allen
By James Allen August 31, 2015 13:10
Related Articles

Arash Usmanee Taking Time Off For Ramadan, Wants To Face The Winner Of Mendez-Barthelemy 2 0 17.Jun
Pacquiao To Practice Careful Aggression, Talks Testing For Rios and Tells Mayweather I’m Still Here 1 22.Aug
Billy Dib’s American Return comes on the Cotto-Trout Undercard vs. Jayson Velez 0 31.Oct

Marcos Maidana - Shawn PorterShawn Porter (26-1-1, 16 KO’s) is unsure when his next fight will be, but he aims to build on the huge momentum he gained by beating Adrien Broner this past June when he finds his way back between the ropes.

Speaking to Fight Hype, Porter revealed he should already be in the throes of training camp on approach to a September appearance, but that plan has been revised and pushed back as he and his team scour the 147 lb. division for the best fights available.

“We were looking at September. September’s coming up pretty soon, and we don’t have a fight announced yet so it’s looking like we might move it to October. We will definitely get something before the end of the year, and who that will be I don’t know.”

“My Dad is looking for the next best thing to Floyd Mayweather, which is [Danny] Garcia, [WBA champion Keith] Thurman, Chino [Marcos Maidana] and then the list goes on from there; [Amir] Khan. The top five of the welterweight division is what we’re looking at right now.”

Not a soft touch to be had amongst that lot. A match with any one of those names would keep Porter out there as one of the fighters to take notice of, but he had a preferred option out of the four.

“As soon as I was done with Broner, as soon as that fight was over, I was really thinking we might get a fight with Chino.”

“If that fight is out there for me I’d love to have that fight.”

‘Chino’ Maidana has been out of action following a pair of points losses to Floyd Mayweather in 2014. The Argentinian KO king looks to be savouring two career-high paydays back in his motherland, with pictures of him looking rather porky according to photos surfacing on the net.

He still has a name though and another boat load of cash -easily attained by Porter and Chino’s shared manager Al Haymon- would surely be enough motivation to shed the pounds and start throwing those bombs of his under the bright PBC lights. Porter being the finely tuned athlete that he is, would fancy his chances against a man coming off a year-long layoff with presumably few hours in the gym.

Jul 24, 2005
Santa Cruz vs. Mares A Huge Ratings Hit For PBC on ESPN

Posted by: Jake Donovan on 9/1/2015 .

By Jake Donovan

The August 29 edition of Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) on ESPN proved to be a success on every level. Airing live from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, the main event provided a Fight of the Year contender, a packed house (13,109 in attendance), and a healthy average of 1.217 million viewers over the course of the two-hour telecast.

A full breakdown of the show—which also saw Julio Ceja climb off the canvas to stop Hugo Ruiz in five rounds in the co-main event—has yet to be provided, but the overall average is a 50% increase from the July 11 inaugural edition of PBC on ESPN. Through three installments, each episode has increased in ratings, a positive trend for the primetime series on the regional sports network.

Santa Cruz produced the signature win of his career to date, doing so while moving up to the featherweight division. The undefeated pressure fighter from Mexico enjoyed title reigns at bantamweight and super bantamweight before deciding to move up for good to featherweight.

His first fight at the full limit (his previous ring appearance took place at a 124 lb. catchweight) came in a fight that was two years in the making. However, it required Mares to resume his winning ways following a shocking 1st round knockout loss to Jhonny Gonzalez in their Aug. '13 clash.

Stark criticism had surrounded Santa Cruz' level of competition over that stretch, but he silenced his critics to a degree with Saturday's performance, which was a smash hit in every facet.

The strong ratings pull improves on the August 1 edition, which drew an average of 1.073 million viewers. Danny Garcia knocked out Paul Malignaggi in nine one-sided rounds in the main event, while Daniel Jacobs and Sergio Mora traded opening round knockdowns before Mora suffered a broken ankle in round two, declaring Jacobs a TKO winner by injury.

It also continues a trend of building (or in some cases, rebuilding) audiences on the slew of networks on which the series airs. The August 15 edition of PBC on NBC Sports Network jumped nearly 50% from the July 26 installment, with the August 14 showing of PBC on Spike TV—also featuring a Fight of the Year candidate in Krzysztof Glowacki rising from the deck to knock out long-reigning cruiserweight champ Marco Huck—showing a similar improvement from its previous showing in June.

The month of August also saw the PBC series debut on Bounce TV, entering with a smash. The August 2 tripleheader produced an average of 459,000 viewers and peaking at 667,000 viewers, both numbers good for the highest-rated first-run program in the network's history.

All ratings data provided by Nielsen Media Research .

PBC aired on ESPN for the third time, though its next installment has yet to be announced. ESPN traditionally airs college football in primetime on Saturday evenings throughout the fall months.

The next PBC show airs Sunday, September 6 on CBS live from Amercian Bank Center in Corpus Christi, Texas. Anthony Dirrell faces Marco Antonio Rubio in a super middleweight bout, while England's Jamie McDonnell returns stateside—as well as to Texas and CBS—for a rematch with Tomoki Kameda, whom he outpointed in their May thriller.

Jul 24, 2005
De La Hoya: Lemieux will KO Golovkin in 5 rounds
date August 31st, 2015 | Post FB Comment - 150 Comments

Share the post "De La Hoya: Lemieux will KO Golovkin in 5 rounds"

110Facebook11Twitter3Google+

1-GolovkinLemieuxNYPC_Hoganphotos16By Dan Ambrose: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya expects his fighter IBF middleweight champion David Lemieux (34-2, 31 KOs) to make quick work of IBO/WBA middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (33-0, 30 KOs) in their unification fight on October 17th at Madison Square Garden in New York.

De La Hoya expects Lemieux to get to Golovkin’s chin by 5th round. He thinks it’s a fight where the 26-year-old Lemieux will get to Golovkin early. De La Hoya thinks that his other important fight between his fighter Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and WBC middleweight champion Miguel Cotto will be just as exciting, but it will lost possibly until the 10th round. De La Hoya sees Canelo getting a stoppage win by the 10th.

“I think both fights [Canelo vs. Cotto & Golovkin vs. Lemieux] are going to be spectacular,” De La Hoya said to Fighthub. “The difference is one is going to be longer. The other [Golovkin-Lemieux] might last 3, 4 or 5 rounds, and I got Lemieux knocking Golovkin out. This one [Cotto-Canelo] might last 8, 9, 10 rounds and I got my guy [Canelo] winning,” De La Hoya said.

If Lemieux wins this fight then it’s going to be a big surprise to a lot of boxing fans, because he doesn’t have the experience at the amateur level that Golovkin has. Lemieux is just a slugger with a lot of punching power that has been matched up against weak opposition through much of the career.

Lemieux failed when he was pushed up a level in 2011, when he was beaten by Marco Antonio Rubio and Joachim Alcine. But since then, Lemieux has shown some improvement in beating Hassan N’Dam, Gabriel Rosado and Fernando Guerrero. Those are good B-level middleweights, and Lemieux proved that he was better than all of them. However, Golovkin is a much better fighter than those three guys, and it’s very likely that Lemieux is going to find out the hard way that he’s not ready for a guy at his level.

“It’s a 2 to 3 round job. I think Golovkin absolutely destroys him [Lemieux],” says Darren Barker to IFL TV. “If I was still fighting, I’d be happy to fight Lemieux. He can whack and he’s dangerous. I saw an interview with Golovkin. They played it like he’s scared. I suppose he’s cautious that he [Lemieux] can whack a bit. That’s all he’s got. Golovkin is on another level. He’s ridiculously good. Not only can he whack, he’s got boxing skills. He’s phenomenal. He’s unbelievable. Like I said, it’s a 2-3 round job. The knockout percentage is in the 90s. It’ll be a shocker if it goes farther than that. It’s a fight that brings people out. They want to see that. It’s just that they want to see people get hurt. We’re nuts as a race. He’s [Lemieux] a decent fighter. He’s a world champion. Hassan N’Dam, he’s a good fighter. But Golovkin is on another level,” Barker said.

I think Barker’s prediction about the Golovkin-Lemieux fight might be closer to reality than what De La Hoya is predicting. De La Hoya seems to be coming from a pipe dream angle in seeing the fight. He badly wants and needs Lemieux to win this fight, because if he can get past Golovkin, he’ll have two flagship fighters in his Golden Boy Promotions stable that he can count on as revenue streams.

If De La Hoya chooses to match Canelo with Lemieux, it would be a huge fight if Lemieux first takes Golovkin’s scalp on October 17th But if Lemieux gets blasted out in 2 to 3 rounds like Barker is predicting, then it’s going to be a big blow to De La Hoya and his Golden Boy stable. I think the result of that will be De La Hoya choosing to keep Canelo far, far away from Golovkin to make sure that his last top fighter doesn’t get knocked out too by him.

Lemieux and Canelo’s career won’t be over with if/when they get knocked out by Golovkin. They can still be successful fighters and make good money for De La Hoya. But it’ll take a while for Canelo and Lemieux to come back from their losses to Golovkin. The boxing fans will still watch their fights, but in smaller numbers until they forget about how they were battered and beaten by Golovkin.

Props: CZAR and CZAR
May 6, 2002
Time for a good ole wish upon a star 35-1 parlay.

9/5/2015 8:00 PM Boxing Fighting 502 Shannon Briggs* -10000 vs Michael Marrone
9/6/2015 4:00 PM Boxing Fighting 602 Anthony Dirrell* -1050 vs Marco Antonio Rubio
9/11/2015 10:00 PM Boxing Fighting 702 Adonis Stevenson* -2500 vs Tommy Karpency
9/11/2015 8:30 PM Boxing Fighting 876 Errol Spence Jr* -1700 vs Chris van Heerden
9/12/2015 4:00 PM Boxing Fighting 402 Peter Quillin* -12500 vs Michael Zerafa
9/12/2015 4:00 PM Boxing Fighting 426 Jermall Charlo* -1900 vs Cornelius Bundrage
9/12/2015 11:00 PM Boxing Props Fighting 505 Berto wins inside distance* +2675 vs Not Berto inside distance

Risking $10.00 To Win $348.66

Jul 24, 2005
Kell Brook to fight Diego Chaves in Sheffield on Oct. 24

IBF welterweight beltholder Kell Brook (35-0, 24 knockouts) will be facing THE RING’s No. 10 contender Diego Chaves (23-2-1, 19 KOs), of Argentina, in Brook’s hometown of Sheffield, England, on Oct. 24 in what will be his third title defense of his belt in a very busy 2015.

Ranked at No. 1 at welterweight by THE RING, Brook is one of the fastest rising champions in a talent-rich division, and will pit the title he wrestled away from Shawn Porter last August against a tough opponent with punching power, who in spite of going 1-2-1 in his last four bouts is ranked among the best in his division thanks to his willingness to trade leather against all comers.

The 29-year-old Chaves was nicknamed “The Jewel” during his amateur days, in which he shared the spotlight with fighters such as Marcos Maidana and Lucas Matthysse. He failed to live up to his promise in his results but not in his performances, having earned the appreciation of fans and critics with his gritty efforts in his losses against Keith Thurman and Brandon Rios (the latter being by disqualification in a fight he was winning on the scorecards) and his spirited effort in his draw against Timothy Bradley in his most recent outing.

Chaves: “They keep me in mind because of my boxing skills”

Andre Berto v Jesus Soto Karass - Weigh-InIn spite of the relatively short notice of his long-awaited title bout (even though he briefly held the spurious “interim” version of the WBA welterweight belt that he would eventually lose to Thurman), Chaves feels he will be ready for the challenge, as he was already in training for a bout in September against an opponent to be determined.

“The negotiation was closed a few days ago,” said Chaves. “I was already training quite hard, and then this offer came up to fight for a world title after such a long time. We’re working super hard and feeling super sharp.”

His recent string of bad results does not bother Chaves, who feels he has earned his chance the hard way and gained confidence and experience with every bout, win or lose.

“First of all, I believe my recent streak was not that bad,” said Chaves. “Even though I lost to Brandon Rios, I think I got an unfair deal in that fight. Everyone knows that the fight with Rios was a blatant robbery, and then the draw against Timothy Bradley left a very positive taste for me. But this fight is going to be different because Brook is a fighter that is completely different to the other guys I fought. We know he is a technically proficient fighter and I believe this plays right into our hands. We both have a similar style. I think Brooks needs to go to the body a little bit more, but that’s typical in European boxers. “

Chaves’ analysis of his foe, however, doesn’t end in his shortcomings.

“We know he is a tough fighter, very technical,” said Chaves, who claims he had already been studying Brook for a while. “He is a linear fighter, very frontal. He’s not a fast fighter. He is easily bothered by body punches, and that is one of our strengths. And I believe he has problems going backwards. We saw that in his fight against Shawn Porter. When Porter charged forward, Brook had trouble adjusting to that. But we know that he is a great fighter to face, and we are going to test his punching power too, because the opponents he chose so far have not been such great punchers as the ones I have faced lately.”

As hard as it may be to achieve success against the best fighter in his division not named Floyd – and in his foe’s backyard to boot, Chaves feels he is and will continue to be chosen for bigger and better fights because of his non-speculative, fan-friendly style.

“I believe that, aside from the fights I had abroad, they keep me in mind because of the quality of my boxing skills. They realize that I look good in the ring, that I stand up and trade with anyone without any problems,” said Chaves, who will be making only his fifth appearance outside his native country.

Far from considering it a hindrance, Chaves relishes on the chance of adding a victory in the long rivalry between Argentina and England – both in sports and outside of it.

“First of all, I feel that my confidence grows with this challenge, knowing that I will have to face a champion like Kell Brook in his home country in England,” said Chaves. “This raises the stakes for me, going up there as an Argentine, and as a huge underdog. We know all the bad blood that exists between Argentina and England, and this will give me much more strength. I will be making history if I defeat an Englishman in his own country.”

Jul 24, 2005
Stephen Edwards B @bread manBoxing

What were 3 best fights on PBC vs 3 best on HBO thusfar in 2015. Just curious?
9:02 PM - 1 Sep 2015

Retweets

Jul 24, 2005
Mike Tyson Signs Long Term Partnership with Fiterman Sports Group

Former boxer signs a long-term exclusive autograph and marketing partnership
by Cedric 'BIG CED' Thornton Posted: July 21, 2014
Share on pinterest_share
Share on tumblr
More Sharing Services
Share on email
Share on print
A- A A+

(Image: Facebook)

Former heavyweight boxng champion, Mike Tyson, has signed a long-term exclusive autograph and marketing partnership with Fiterman Sports Group, it was announced.

Tyson joins a roster of clients that include NBA Hall of Famers Hakeem Olajuwon, Ralph Sampson, and Calvin Murphy, NFL Hall of Famer Earl Campbell, Heisman Trophy winners Ricky Williams and John David Crow, 6-time NBA All-Star Shawn Kemp, 3-time MLB All-Star Jimmy Wynn, and Houston Texans 2013 #1 Draft Pick DeAndre Hopkins.

‘Fiterman Sports is delighted that a household name like Mike Tyson has chosen us to exclusively represent the autograph and memorabilia portion of his business’, a statement issued by Fiterman Sports.

Fiterman Sports Group is a Houston-area based sports marketing and memorabilia company that conducts 150+ signings per year.

Jul 24, 2005
Shane Mosley
✔ S @shane Mosley_

Wow. Have 2say I am shocked. Just got a DM from the champ offering up a fight 4 the title. Stay tuned. Let's see if we can make this happen.
11:29 AM - 2 Sep 2015

75 75 Retweets

Shane Mosley
✔ S @shane Mosley_

Getting on a call with his manager now. We may make this happen in November. November is going to be a good month for boxing
12:03 PM - 2 Sep 2015

14 14 Retweets

I think it's either Timothy Bradley at 147 or Andy Lee at 160 left standing.

Jul 24, 2005
TIMOTHY BRADLEY PARTING WAYS WITH JOEL DIAZ; FIGHT WITH BRANDON RIOS BACK ON?
By Ben Thompson | September 02, 2015
[​IMG]

Sources close to the information have informed us that two-division world champion Timothy Bradley is parting ways with long-time trainer Joel Diaz. We're told that Bradley's team has already met with potential replacements and as of this writing, the leading candidate for the job is world-class trainer and ESPN commentator Teddy Atlas. Furthermore, we've also been advised that a clash with former world champion Brandon Rios is back on the table.

The two fighters were deep in negotiations last month until Cameron Dunkin, the manager of Brandon Rios, revealed that, for reasons unknown, Bradley's team had a change of heart and the fight wasn't going to happen. However, it looks like Team Bradley changed their stance and have returned to the negotaiting table. If the two sides come to terms, the fight will likely take place at The Forum in Inglewood, California. This past weekend, FightHype.com caught up with Rios, who informed us that he was expecting to return to the ring on November 7 at that very same arena.

TIMOTHY BRADLEY PARTING WAYS WITH JOEL DIAZ; FIGHT WITH BRANDON RIOS BACK ON? || FIGHTHYPE.COM

TEAM BRADLEY CONFIRMS SPLIT WITH JOEL DIAZ
By Ben Thompson | September 02, 2015
[​IMG]

An official speaking on behalf of Team Bradley has confirmed to FightHype.com that the two-division world champion has indeed parted ways with long-time trainer Joel Diaz. Although Team Bradley has already met with potential replacements, we're told that an official decision has yet to be made.

As previously reported by FightHype.com, a potential clash with former world champion Brandon Rios is still a possibility, but there's still some work that needs to be done at the negotiating table. If the two sides can come to an agreement, the fight will likely take place in November (possibly November 7) at The Forum in Inglewood, California.

TEAM BRADLEY CONFIRMS SPLIT WITH JOEL DIAZ || FIGHTHYPE.COM

Jul 24, 2005
KELL BROOK RIPS AMIR KHAN: "HIS WHISKERS ARE DELICATE, BRITTLE...HE IS BAMBI ON ICE"
By Scott Smith | September 02, 2015

[​IMG]

"I don't think Khan wants to give the fans what they want to see. He's not in to the fans. I said it for a long time, it's the biggest fight out there in Britain, me and Queen Khan," stated IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook, who fired shots at fellow British star Amir Khan for his unwillingness to agree to a domestic showdown sooner rather than later. Brook, who is now scheduled to face Diego Chaves on October 24, questions why Khan continues to put their fight on hold after he's been snubbed by undefeated pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather.

"I don't know what he is messing about at. He's been bugging Mayweather for the fight for years. He's not got the fight, so what's the next fight that's bigger for him? It's me and Khan," Brook explained during a recent interview with Sky Sports. "I wouldn't have my hands full. I said it from day one, I said it before, his whiskers are delicate. When this brownie hits his chin, it is going to shatter and he is going to do that dance he likes to do. His whiskers are delicate, brittle. He is Bambi on ice; all them rolled in to one."

KELL BROOK RIPS AMIR KHAN: "HIS WHISKERS ARE DELICATE, BRITTLE...HE IS BAMBI ON ICE" || FIGHTHYPE.COM