Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Errol Spence is ready for Keith Thurman, says Mayweather
date June 18th, 2015 | Post FB Comment - 25 Comments

Share the post "Errol Spence is ready for Keith Thurman, says Mayweather"

31Facebook12Twitter7Google+

_DSC7984(Photo credit: Idris Erba/Mayweather Promotions) By Chris Williams: Floyd Mayweather Jr. says he sparred with unbeaten #8 WBA 147 pound contender Errol Spence (16-0, 13 KOs) in the past, and he feels he’s now ready to challenge WBA welterweight champion Keith Thurman in his next fight after Spence gets past junior middleweight Phil Lo Greco (26-1, 14 KOs) this Saturday night in their fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The Spence-Lo Greco fight will be the co-feature bout on the Adrien Broner vs. Shawn Porter card on Premier Boxing Champions on NBC. Spence, 25, was originally scheduled to fight slugger Roberto Garcia, but he was heavy this week and wasn’t going to be able to make the weight, so he was switched out for Lo Greco.

It’s still a great test for Spence and will give him and his team a chance to show how talented he is.

“Well this is what happened. I call a spade a spade,” Mayweather said via Fighthype in describing what led to him sparring Errol Spence in the past. “When I was locked away, when I came out, I was still off a little while. The first guys I started sparring was a southpaw [Spence]. He was giving me good work, real good work. He pushed me. He made me get in tip top condition, and when I got in tip top condition, I was Floyd Mayweather, but he’s a hell of a fighter. We’re looking forward to his next fight. It could be a good match-up against Keith Thurman. I think that should be a championship fight. I think him and Keith Thurman should be for a title in his next fight. He’s ready.”

The southpaw Spence can do it all. He’s lightning quick with his punches, hard to hit, and very, very powerful. I can definitely see Spence beating Thurman if he does wind up facing him next like Mayweather says. He’s someone that could take away a lot of the things that Thurman does, and I think it would be a bad style match-up for Thurman, who has looked a little uneven at times in his last two fights against Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero and Leonard Bundu.

I’m not sure that Thurman is ready for a fighter like Spence at this point in his career. Thurman has a fight against Luis Collazo next month on July 11th. Thurman should be able to get through that fight, but hopefully he doesn’t take punishment like he did in the Guerrero fight. And hopefully Thurman doesn’t run like he did against Bundu.

Lo Greco has fought only once since losing to Shawn Porter in 2013. Earlier this year in March, Lo Greco defeated Rafael Cobos by an 8 round unanimous decision.

Jul 24, 2005
K. Porter: Broner, pay that child support - absolutely broke

Posted by: Rick Reeno on 6/18/2015

By Rick Reeno

MGM Grand, Las Vegas - The insults were flying during the final press conference for Saturday's Premier Boxing Champions card on NBC. Adrien Broner takes on Shawn Porter in the televised main event.

During the final presser, Broner and Shawn's father/trainer Kenny Porter were ripping into each other.

Kenny lashed out after Broner asked Floyd Mayweather Jr. - 'If I kick Shawn's ass and then I kick his daddy's ass - do I get paid twice?'

"You probably going to need to get paid twice to pay all that child support. Pay all those taxes, 15% for the first baby, 10% for the second baby. 10% to that trainer...20% to.......what you got? You don't want talk. We're gonna take you to zero now. I know you already spent the advance on this one. You already spent the advance," Kenny said.

"We're training to punish him. We're not training to knock him out. We're training to punish. Every time he goes down, we're going to wait for him to get up and punish him some more. After this fight he's going to be AB - absolutely broke."

Jul 24, 2005
Showtime" Shawn Porter — The ProfessionalPosted by: Jake Donovan on 6/19/2015 .

By Jake Donovan
It’s a fight Shawn Porter accepted because any win in or near the welterweight division means an even bigger fight in the most lucrative weight class in the sport today.
Saturday’s showdown with former three-division titlist Adrien Broner at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas will come near the welterweight division.
In order to land the fight, Porter was asked to accept a deal stating he can’t weigh any more than 144 lbs. by the time he hits the scale at Friday’s weigh-in. Roughly 12 hours prior to the opening bell, the former welterweight titlist will need to check in at 154 lbs. or less, as per a rehydration clause in their fight contract.
These are all terms the fighting pride of Akron, Ohio was willing to accept for the sake of headlining on free-to-air NBC (Saturday, 8:30 p.m. ET). It’s what’s being asked of him by adviser Al Haymon, in efforts to present a coin-flip headliner in the latest installment of the Premier Boxing Champions that has barnstormed a slew of networks since its debut in March.
By the time Porter hits the scale on Friday afternoon, he will weigh in at a career lightest weight, assuming of course he comes in at or within the contracted limit. The 27-year old has weighed 144 lbs. exactly once in his pro career, a 10-round decision win over Anges Adjaho in 2011. Before that, it was more than a decade ago, when Porter was a teenager in the amateur ranks.
His pro debut came in Oct. ’08, weighing just over the 165 lb. division at which he fought during his final amateur boxing years. Each year has been a steady reduction before landing at welterweight where he has been for the past five years.
It’s where he plans to be for years to come, but for one particular moment on Friday is willing to shrink down just a few pounds more only because of what will come with a win.
“I call it addition by subtraction,” notes Kenny Porter, Shawn’s father and trainer. “As he loses weight, he increases his opportunity for big fights.”
Porter (25-1-1, 16KOs) is in a damn big one this weekend. The showdown with Broner is viewed as the most competitive PBC headliner to date. Porter remains a slight favorite to win even with the current compromises in place. He’s likely an even bigger favorite if the fight took place at the full welterweight limit sans conditions.
Unfortunately that was never on the table, nor was Porter in much of a position to negotiate such terms with his in-state rival.
“We were called and told that we were asked to be 144 pounds by Adrien Broner,” Porter revealed of the terms of the fight during a recent media conference call. “That was not our decision. As soon as it was announced to me from my dad, I told him, whatever we need to do to make the fight.

“I guess there's a little kid from Cincinnati who's afraid of fighting at 147, even though that's a weight that he's even fought for a championship at. That's neither here nor there. The weigh-in is Friday. We'll be there. We'll be on weight, and we'll be excited to get on that scale and look him in the eyes at that weight and let him know that we're feeling good. Whatever advantage he thought could come from that, he's not getting any.”
Porter comes in less than a year removed from his welterweight title reign coming to a close, dropping a 12-round decision to Kell Brook last summer, just eight months after having wrested the crown from Devon Alexander in his Dec. ‘13 breakout performance in New York City.
His lone win since conceding his crown came in a knockout win over late replacement Erick Bone this past March. The night was originally marked as a clash with Roberto Garcia, where a win would’ve went considerably further than the absence of credit to be found in handling Bone with relative ease.
Garcia was unable to make that fight happen, one that would’ve served as the first bout of the premiere installment of PBC on Spike TV. Nor was Garcia able to meet the contractual terms of his scheduled showdown with Errol Spence on this weekend’s bill in Las Vegas.
There remains questions abound if Broner will even manage to check in at the very catchweight limit he demanded. The brash ex-champ from Cincinnati weighed 141 lbs. for what was believed to be a 140 lb. clash with John Molina in March. Embarrassment was spared when it was later revealed that the 12-round non-title fight—the very first bout to kick off the PBC series in primetime on NBC—came with a +/- 1 lb. tolerance.
It was perhaps with that instance in mind that Porter and his team wanted all of the details up front regarding Saturday’s bout. For weeks, all he was told was to make 144 lbs. When he began asking questions, the lack of answers provided helped unearth the lack of professionalism surrounding a fighter who has always been the utmost sportsman throughout his boxing life.
The instance at the first pre-fight press conference in Los Angeles also helped escalate a friendly in-state rivalry into a full-blown grudge match.
“You know what, there was no animosity about the weight up until the press conference that we had last week,” Porter pointed out. “We had the press conference. We've known for weeks now that the contracted weight is supposed to be 144. Here we are doing everything that we need to do as professionals to be on weight, be on point, be 100%, and the kid who chose to make the contract, the weight 144, wishes not to talk about the contracted weight, wishes not to talk about any rehydration clause, wants to avoid any conversation involving weight limits or anything like that.

“The more and more we talk about it, the more and more the animosity starts to set in because I'm a professional doing what I do. I've done it at this high level for so long, and my weight class is 147 for so long. You want to move up into my weight, then move up. Don't be scared. Don't be worried. Don't be afraid. Put your skill on the line along with your record. Put everything on the line. Put it all on the line at 147. Don't put it at 144 and then not want to talk about it.”
Porter pushed the issue just enough for Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe—the promoter of record for Saturday’s event—to confirm all of the details in advance of the weigh-in. It’s now confirmed that he and Broner have to make 144 lbs. on Friday, and not weigh any more than 154 lbs. during the Saturday morning rehydration check.
After that, all Porter has to do is win, and then it’s back to business as usual.
“Obviously we made this move for a reason, and that was to fight the kid,” Porter notes. “After that, I don't think there'll be any other reason for me to move any lower than 147. It's not going to be a problem this fight, but it's not something that I want to entertain in the future.

“I'm a 147-pound fighter, simple as that. Anyone I fight will be a strong 147-pound fighter, not a blown-up 140-pound fighter and not a took-down 154-pounder. We look to fight everyone at their best, and my best is going to be 144 on Saturday.”

Feb 10, 2006
K. Porter: Broner, pay that child support - absolutely broke

Posted by: Rick Reeno on 6/18/2015

By Rick Reeno

MGM Grand, Las Vegas - The insults were flying during the final press conference for Saturday's Premier Boxing Champions card on NBC. Adrien Broner takes on Shawn Porter in the televised main event.

During the final presser, Broner and Shawn's father/trainer Kenny Porter were ripping into each other.

Kenny lashed out after Broner asked Floyd Mayweather Jr. - 'If I kick Shawn's ass and then I kick his daddy's ass - do I get paid twice?'

"You probably going to need to get paid twice to pay all that child support. Pay all those taxes, 15% for the first baby, 10% for the second baby. 10% to that trainer...20% to.......what you got? You don't want talk. We're gonna take you to zero now. I know you already spent the advance on this one. You already spent the advance," Kenny said.

"We're training to punish him. We're not training to knock him out. We're training to punish. Every time he goes down, we're going to wait for him to get up and punish him some more. After this fight he's going to be AB - absolutely broke."

A.C.S.

ABOUT CHILD SUPPORT

Feb 10, 2006
HERESY @HERESY Arum is just promoting his fighter. He was asked a question and he answered it. A lot of people are wondering if GGG is even good enough to bang it out at 168 so that's why they want to see him move up.

Feb 8, 2006
Fat Dan chat wrap 6/18:

- Not sure if the winner of Cotto-Canelo would fight GGG next. Canelo would be the one more likely to do so.
- Spoke with Tom Loeffler and he said GGG wants to fight in the fall, but they are waiting for some things to shake out before finding an opponent. The Froch fight talk is fading. They would like the winner of Lemiuex-N'Dam, also see what Andy Lee has planned, and said they would watch Andre Ward on Saturday. They want the biggest fight they can make.
- If GGG cannot get a big name, Tureano Johnson is a very likely opponent.
- Has no insight on whether Froch will fight again or retire.
- Beterbiev is a beast, but does not think he smashes Kovalev.
- Young guys who potentially could move into PPV status? Verdejo, Crawford (will take work, but a Pacquiao fight would help), Wilder (if he stops fighting bums and his chin holds up), and Thurman.
- Frampton will destroy Gonzalez, easily.
- Anyone who puts Roberto Garcia on TV again is crazy, plus he isn't that good. Spence would have shut him out.
- Expects Crawford to only have two fights this year.
- Verdejo says he is going to fight at 130. Eventually he could get to WW.
- Expects Ward to look like he never missed a day in the gym and be fantastic.
- HBO/TR is the best at building up stars.
- There is a rehydration clause for Broner-Porter. They both must weigh in Saturday morning and cannot be above 154.
- Paulie does not have much of a chance to upset Danny Garcia.
- Lo Greco is slow and doesn't have much pop. He has been sparring with Vargas in preparation for Bradley.
- Imagines when Schaefer can return (August) he will work for PBC.
- Lemiuex by mid fight KO over N'Dam.
- Does not know the tickets sales for Broner-Porter, but based on some signs on the media side he believes that sales are not too good.
- In general the PBC cards have done poorly at the box office. Khan-Algieri sold well.
- Maravilla vs. Canelo? Sergio all day long.
- Prime Margarito vs. prime Maravilla? Prime Sergio. When they fought Sergio wasn't in his prime.
- Prime Maravilla vs. Toney at 160? Toney.
- Sergio Martinez was a class act and pleasure to deal with. He was a good, friendly, and likeable person.
- Porter agreed to the catchweight because he wanted the fight and knew he could make weight.
- Diaz Jr. is taking a step up next month by being on HBO Latino. Expects we could see him on HBO next year.
- Mares vs. LSC is looking to be made in the fall or late August. Will likely be on Showtime or ESPN PBC.
- GGG would beat Lara senseless. No reason to make fight, not possible anyways with Lara with PBC.
- Cunningham vs. Tarver on the Huck undercard, Aug. 14.
- Would like to see Roman Gonzalez fight Estrada, Viloria, or Segura.
- PBC could be oversaturating the market a bit right now.
- Porter stays in shape between fights, Broner does not.
- Has serious doubts Lomachenko-Walters happens this fall. Lomachenko's big interest in the fight was Walters' belt.
- The WBC will order negotiations for Wilder-Povetkin in October and agreeing won't be due until January. Wilder has time to fight one more fighter before his mandatory. If Arreola wins, he likely could get a fight vs. Wilder this fall.
- Jacobs vs. Mora? For the opponents available, Mora is a decent opponent. Doesn't love or hate the fight. Mora has looked better recently.
- Expects Walters to move up to 130.
- Barthelemy vs. DeMarco is a decent fight. Believes Barthelemy has too much speed for DeMarco.
- People aren't talking about a Lomachenko vs. Selby fight because he is largely unknown in the US.
- Barry Tompkins and Kevin Kelley are calling the BET fights.
- Fury and Klitschko are still negotiating. This is one that could go to the end and very likely end up being a purse bid.
- Believes Errol Spence is a huge prospect.
- Cotto's resurgence...better gym work and good matchmaking.
- Looking forward to watching Herrera vs. Lundy.
- Walters vs. Verdejo at 130? Verdejo is not ready for this fight yet.
- Postol vs. Matthysse likely in October or November.
- Spence vs. Thurman is an interesting fight and could happen in the future. It won't be next.
- Verdejo's hand injury was bone spurs. He will have a small procedure and likely be back in October. It is not considered major or career threatening.
- Favorite PBC announcer is Scott Hansen.
- If Porter beats Broner he would have to be considered a potential opponent for Mayweather's next fight.
- Rios vs. Provodnikov? HBO is interested, which gives it a decent chance of being made. Provodnikov's team told him they want the fight.
- Provodnikov's team is trying to get an HBO or Showtime fight. If they can't secure one, he will fight in Russia.
- After Ward's fight he will add him back to his PFP rankings.
- What should I have for lunch? Ask: Roberto Garcia, Ray Beltran, Frankie Gomez, Omar Figueroa, Peter Quillin, and Nicholas Walters.
- Believes Canelo would fight Cotto in NYC if that was the best financial deal. Personally he would love to see it at Cowboy Stadium. Believes that would sell over 50,000 seats.
- J Rock vs. Trout? J Rock.
- Mayweather vs. Trinidad at 147? Mayweather by toyage.
- Talked with Ward about what weight class he will be in after this fight. He is thinking about 175, but also could decide to stay at 168. He thought after 19 months off he would see what fighting at a heavier weight felt like.
- Mancini vs. Pazienza at lightweight? Fun fight, leaning towards Mancini to grind it out.
- Ward is fighting on BET because HBO didn't want to pay for a tune-up, so Roc Nation agreed to finance it. Expects Ward will fight on regular HBO later this year.
- If Showtime is serious about Showtime International they will show Abraham-Steiglitz 4.
- Probably two PPV fights for the remainder of the year, Canelo-Cotto and Mayweather's next fight.
- Terrible year so far for Showtime.
- If Molina wobbled Wilder with a left hook, what would a Povetkin left hook do? Knock him out.
- It is possible DeGale and Groves could fight, but not before the end of the year, as Groves is fighting Jack.
- HBO's best stable of fighters? ODH, RJJ, Mayweather, and Lennox all in their primes.
- Lamont Peterson has not made an announcement on whether his next fight will be at 140 or 147. Imagines he will choose either weight class based on the money.
- Told recently that Alvarado is in rehab.
- Not sure of the Broner-Porter outcome because the weight issues are a big question, but is picking Porter by decision.
- The catchweight and rehydration clause for someone that held a 147 lb belt at one time is pathetic.
- Rumors abound about Broner's weight. Wouldn't be surprised if he missed weight.
- Don King vs. Bob Arum in a fight? King has the physical advantages. King is roughly 6'4" and at least 260. Arum is 5'9" and about 150.
- Biggest upset since he has covered boxing? Rahman KO over Lewis.
- Freitas' comeback fight has been postponed to August.
- Mike Reed looked good against a limited opponent. He is aggressive and puts his punches together well.
- BKB is not that exciting anymore. Hard to want to pay for a PPV with a bunch of nobodies.
- The Bradley-Vargas fight is important because it positively sets up good future opportunities for the winner. The winner gets a mandatory in Sadam Ali and also would be in the mix to fight Rios or Ruslan.
- Main Events matchmaker talked with Joel Julio and he says he is interested in fighting again. Dan assumes he is retired.
- Would not mind seeing Berto vs. Guerrero, but prefers Berto vs. Ortiz.
- RJJ has two fights planned for August. Huck is fighting in August. If they win it is entirely possible they could meet next.
- Lomachenko has said Verdejo was one of his toughest amateur fights (Lomachenko won).
- What does he look at when voting for the HOF: Who did he fight and what did he accomplish? What was his status in the sport? Will take into account their amateur career as well.
- Has 2 DVR's to record all the boxing fights.
- Ebo Elder vs. Courtney Burton: a really good fight.

Jul 24, 2005
By Allan Fox: Tonight’s fight between welterweights Adrien Broner (30-1, 22 KOs) and Shawn Porter (25-1-1, 16 KOs) is expected to be a competitive one that many boxing fans see as a 50-50 affair that could go either way when they battle for supremacy at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Not only is this an almost even fight in terms of the match-up, but both fighters will be getting almost the same amount of money in regards to their purses for the fight.

Broner will be making $1.35 million compared to $1 million for Porter. There are rumors floating around that the 25-year-old Broner is near broke.

If this is true, the $1.35 million purse will sure help his finances. Broner will need to keep winning through if he wants to become the guy that will replace Floyd Mayweather Jr. in the future, and become the sports first $1 billion star.

Right now, Broner is a long ways from becoming a billionaire. Broner will need to prove that he can beat guys like Porter and look good doing so for him to make that leap to become a PPV attraction. Broner will also need to beat the top guys at 140 and 147 like Lucas Matthysse, Keith Thurman, Lamont Peterson, Amir Khan and Kell Brook.

“Shawn Porter is a really solid competitor,” Mayweather said to Yahoo Sports. It’s not an easy task for Adrien. He’s going to have to fight.”

Broner will need to stand and trade with Porter in the trenches for him to get the win tonight. If Broner just tries win off of copying Mayweather’s pot shot style of fighting, it’s probably not going to work against a fighter with a high punch output like the 27-year-old Porter. He’s capable of throwing 80 to 100 punches per round for an entire 12 round fight.

Broner throws about half that many punches with roughly the same power. It stands to reason that if Porter is able to throw far more punches than Broner with the same amount of power, it’s going to force Broner to try and match his output. If not, Broner will lose the fight just like he did against Marcos Maidana in 2013. Going into the fight, Maidana realized that Broner was only capable of throwing one or two punches at a time before stopping and surveying the damage. Maidana and his trainer came up with a great plan of throwing massive amounts of punches to force Broner into hiding behind his shoulder roll defense for 12 rounds.

Porter made the 144 pound catch-weight on Friday without any complaints. He said he felt strong after making the weight, and he then rehydrated up to 153lbs by the evening. We’re going to find out if the strain of getting down to 144 was hard on his body when he gets in the ring tonight. Porter normally comes in right at 147 for his fights at welterweight. But we don’t know how much work he put into getting his weight down.

You have to remember that up until yesterday, Porter thought he was going to have to make the 154lb rehydration limit today as part of the rehydration clause. However, the secondary weigh-in was thrown yesterday for some reason. There’s talk that Broner’s management decided to dump the 154lb limit because it would have potentially impacted Broner just as hard as Porter, and Broner looked as big as a house this week. It wouldn’t be surprising if Broner comes into the fight over 160lbs tonight. That would make it interesting if he is that big because he would have more size to compete with Porter. Broner could then stand his ground without getting run over like he did against Maidana.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Golovkin's Promoter Will Call Golden Boy For Lemieux

By Steve Kim

David Lemieux captured the vacant IBF middleweight title on Saturday night in Montreal in emphatic fashion by defeating the game Hassan N'Dam in what was an entertaining affair that saw Lemieux score four knockdowns over the course of the night. Lemieux won by the scores of 114-110 and 115-109 (twice).

A very interested observer was Gennady Golovkin, who currently holds the WBA, IBO and WBC-interim belt, and is looking for a significant fight as it looks like Miguel Cotto - who holds the full WBC belt - will be facing Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in the fall.

Tom Loeffler, the managing director of K2 Promotions, who handle Golovkin's career says he will be calling Golden Boy Promotions on Monday regarding a possible clash between Golovkin and Lemieux.

"Lemieux's a very strong puncher, he knocked down N'Dam numerous times and we congratulate him for winning the IBF title and it'll be a great unification clash with 'Triple G,'" Loeffler told BoxingScene.com just a few minutes after Saturday night's bout that took place at the Bell Centre.

But will Golden Boy be willing to throw Lemiuex in there versus 'GGG' so quickly?

''I think it's very realistic, I think it would be a great fight and it's the two biggest punchers in the middleweight division fighting each other," Loeffler stated.

As for where a potential Golovkin-Lemieux fight could take place, Montreal or New York seem to be the most natural destinations. Loeffler remarked:

"We'd have to see first if Lemieux and Golden Boy accepts the fight then we'd have to see which arena's would be available. I know that HBO would definitely be interested in that fight."

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Mayweather Sr: GGG Fight Only With Rehydration Clause

By Rick Reeno

MGM Grand, Las Vegas - Floyd Mayweather Sr., father and trainer for WBC/WBO/WBA welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (48-0, 26KOs), says his some should not even consider a potential fight with WBA/IBO middleweight champion Gennady "GGG" Golovkin - unless a rehydration clause is involved.

Golovkin is willing to come down to the junior middleweight limit of 154-pounds for a fight with Mayweather.

Mayweather Sr. has no problem with the proposed weight, but he does have a problem with Golovkin rehydrating the following day to super middleweight or above.

He wants a rehydration clause that would hold Golovkin close to the "contract weight."

"If I was Floyd, I would tell him to hold the weight until the fight. Fight at 154, 150 and make sure that he holds that weight the next day," Mayweather Sr. told BoxingScene.com