BayUndaground.com reviews thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
Big Chill - Chill Pill
B.C Ent (2010)
Rating: 3.5/5

01. Intro (skit)
02. Wiggle
03. Crazy Bytch
04. West Coast Retro
05. Imagination
06. W209 (skit)
07. It Iz Chill
08. I Wont Do It
09. Calling Me
10. Murderers Row
11. Ohh Chill
12. House Party
13. Luv 4 Me
14. Take A Look
15. Making Of Chill Pill (skit)

Big Chill is probably the most active Modesto - 209 area code - representative nowadays. Unfortunately currently not too many artists from this town are deep in the rap game. Truth be told, there were people like Twamp Nina, BG Evil, Pain or even Unknown, but they somehow went off the radar. Meanwhile, Big Chill continuously records new material for the last couple of years. It's a pity he doesn't officially releases it though, simply lets it be downloaded or purchased via Internet. That's how you could grab such projects as "Valleyfornia", "Duce O Nine", "2009", "Robot Chicken" or "Valleys Most Wanted". Because I'm not interested in digital recordings, I haven't paid much attention to his endeavors. Well, I once downloaded probably "Valleyfornia", concluded that it was good and that I would get in hold of it once Chill invests in pressing. The year of 2010 brings yet another solo entitled "Chill Pill", which fortunately (at last!) can be also bought as a physical copy.

The hereby album starts off with a patient talking to a doctor. The sick person complains about modern music, that makes his stomach hurt and his ears bleed. Dr. Chill responds that he'd already had such cases, you only need to take his pill and the pain will be gone. He obviously means the currently reviewed solo - this is a remedy for all evil caused by popular rap sub-genres. And this admittedly is a great alternative for all various hyphy movements that are meant purely for a carefree entertainment. Don't take me wrong, there's also lots of entertainment out here, yet in a way different, rather old school style. I don't want to sound like an elderly nerd either, who only talks how good rap once used to be, "they don't make it like that anymore". However truth is that older fans as well as 90's admirers will feel in "Chill Pill's" presence like in their family homes after a long absence. It is supposedly 2010, but this Modesto representative records his material as if it still were 1995. Included music has completely no elements that would at least hint that it was created in the new millennium. Therefore be prepared for classic, traditional vibes ranging 15 years back, when g-funk with its positive, melodious vibrations reigned on the West Coast. The entire production was handled by Big Chill himself and I need to admit that he did hell of a job - it is really nice and paradoxically serves as a breath of fresh air. However on the other hand a couple of tracks could have a bit richer musical setting; I sometimes feel that the rapper deliberately ties his hands. For instance "Calling Me" or "Take A Look" are characterized by splendid, distinct and varied music; I wish there were more of such. Yet please don't take me wrong, even though the production is not perfect, it definitely has a lot to offer, plus it features a certain feel to it and it does matter. You won't find any half-baked, quickly patched together synth twangs, instead some smooth, mesmerizing melodies. Nevertheless I'm pretty sure that they won't be appreciated by the new generation of young fans, who were raised on completely different beats.

As far as Big Chill's vocal capabilities are concerned, I need to admit he's doing at least good. He normally maintains a slow or medium pace and without showcasing additional emotions smoothly and steadily follows the rhythm, leaving behind balanced, decent verses. About 3 times you'll hear faster tempos - "Wiggle", "West Coast Retro" and "Murderers Row" - that's when the artist resembles E-40 from back in the days. However more often than not you are accompanied by laidback melodies that feature numerous lyrics about women and problems connected with relationships. "Crazy Bytch", "I Wont Do It" and "Calling Me" show different aspects of romantic affairs - once a loony chick stalks Chill, the other time he doesn't want to hang with a girl who already has a man or finally he's the one who keeps on calling a woman, but she won't stop ignoring him. What is more, you'll receive a melancholic cut about dreams ("Imagination"), a little something about life ("Take A Look", "Ohh Chill"), but there's also a dose of party vibes. Don't mistake them for some TV, club-type slappers though, as songs like "It Iz Chill" or "House Party" are more similar to old school "Hot Sunny Day" by Celly Cel. It's a pity that Big Chill didn't decide to bring better rhymes. Only occasionally will you hear an interesting word play or a memorable punch line. They would definitely add more charisma and variety to his bars. I'm really fond of the hooks performed by female singers - Chill sounds better on regular verses; however on the other hand the cuckoo-clock sounds on "Crazy Bytch" are awesome. All in all, if you feel that the contemporary northern California music is too lively, futuristic and you generally are more into 90's recordings, then look for this project immediately. You can purchase it on Chill's bandcamp page or via his MySpace page.

Chill, thank you for providing the album for the review.

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
E. Fields - Handlebars
Game Related Records (2009)
Rating: 4/5

01. My Name Ring Bells
02. Cakin' Up
03. How I'm Livin'
04. Spend Some Time
05. 15 Min
06. U R The Kind Of Girl
07. Lookin' At Me
08. Gettin' Money With E. Fields f. K-Loc-A-Motion
09. Wherever U R
10. Enjoy U'r Self f. J Stalin
11. Am I A Player?
12. Take It Slow
13. Thinkin' About You
14. Ur's Truly
15. Don't Nobody
16. Life I Chose

Rarely do I come across a solo album of an experienced rapper whom I haven't heard of yet. Unfortunately I haven't seen the East Oakland representative E. Fields on none of the hundreds albums that I posses or wrote about. I also had no idea that he's a CEO of his independent record label Game Related Records. Therefore many potential customers may feel reluctant to even briefly glance at the debut "Handlebars" project.

I've been mentioning the flood on the northern California market numerous times. For me it's plain to see, as I'm among the staff responsible for the news section on this website. Fortunately the hereby album by E. Fields stands out from the typical Bay Area releases, mainly due to the fact that such music is no longer recorded; at least it's very difficult to come by one. Productionwise "Handlebars" happen to be filled with smooth and calm vibes that remind me of the west coast 90's. I mean laidback melodies, where subtle instrument sounds mix with the ones from the synthesizer as well as RnB dominating on the hooks. E. Fields himself doesn't present an original voice or flow, yet he came really correct, easily meeting tracks' styles and following their rhythm, even those few faster-paced. Furthermore he's got much to say, maintains listener's attention and often comes up with skillful word plays. Out of 16 tracks only 2 have guests featured, so the main weight will need to be carried on host's shoulders. Rapper proved that he can manage the whole solo project by himself and touched on many personal topics. Don't mistake it for "I'm so this and I've got lots of that" attitude - filled with bragging and boasting. Instead E. Fields tends to focus on various aspects of his life, numerous times talking about women; both the ones that he has feeling towards and the ones that he uses. However he abstains from vulgar language and you'll hear hardly any cuss words or explicit references to sex out here. Obviously there are a few, but songs don't concentrate solely on that. I don't know how old Fields is, yet he seems to be a mature man, which is only confirmed by his lyrics, when he shares his thoughts regarding life overall, mainly present in the second half of the cd. I won't deny, meaningful, thought-provoking bars are a strong point of this project. When we add the mentioned above laidback and smooth music, you'll receive a product far different from the modern hyphy, party-like, mob or pimp type of rap. The majority of decent beats were handled by B. Panks (11 tracks), who is affiliated with Game Related Records. Other than E. Fields himself and Trackademiks prepared 2 cuts each and finally O.A.K. did 1 too. "Handlebars" definitely wouldn't be the same if it weren't for singing in the hooks brought to you by a whole lot of people including Nate, Dyson, Nailah Keeles, Dave Hollister, Jacoria Marzett, Natasha Hill and more. Obviously not everyone will feel this release, for instance the ones who prefer hard drum hits as well as verses filled with vicious emotions. That is why I encourage all fans of laidback vibes and the 90's records to get familiar with E. Fields' debut, as it's really worth it.

If you're looking for "Handlebars" be sure to check the Game Related Records website and the CD Baby on-line store. Eryc, thanks for providing the cd for the review. I hope that the upcoming "Golden Gate Fields" will also be full of quality material.

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
Evenodds - Grind House
Official Bizness (2010)
Rating: 4.5/5

01. Welcome 2Da Grind House
02. Hold It
03. On Ery'thang f. R.O.D.
04. My Addiction f. Feezaleo
05. Pull It Over f. E-Bang
06. We Stuntin'
07. Bonafied Hustlah f. Don P
08. Let's Do It Movin' f. Yung Shake & Bam
09. Grindin' f. Blue Chip
10. Stackin' Some Paypa
11. Doin' My Thangz f. Stevie Joe
12. Frisco (Where You At)
13. Why You Hatin' On Me f. Mass

Evenodds is made of two young San Francisco representatives - D.E.O. (Doin Everything Official) and M.A. (Money Alwayz), both from south side of the town, Towerside district (aka Geneva Towers). They founded their own label (Official Bizness) over a decade ago, yet it was the year of 2003 that brought first fruits of joint labor - the debut called "Rough Draft". Then they appeared as a part of The Officials, which released two group projects. Apart from that 3 mixtapes from "Respect The Hustle" series and sophomore album by Evenodds hit the stores. In 2010 D.E.O. and M.A. record the third LP album entitled "Grind House".

The cover and the title refer to Tarantino's horror movies from 2007, whose short episodes were included in the end of a couple of tracks. The musical content doesn't really have much in common with movie's bloody slaughter, except for beautiful women, which appeared also here in the stories told for instance in "Pull It Over" or "Let's Do It Movin'". SFC duo focuses mostly on its bonds with city streets and everything that happened out there. Description of this relation - or should I even say addiction - are mentioned on tracks like "Frisco" or "My Addiction". Truth is, most of the songs boil down to stories of doing business, dirty hustling and generally making money, which is included for example in "Bonafied Hustlah", "Grindin'" or "Stackin' Some Paypa". More of entertaining than thought-provoking themes should please an average rap fan. Vocal delivery by album hosts and guest appearances should bring even more joy. Evenodds is a professional duet, which stepped its game up comparing to previous releases as on this one they left polished and high quality rap. D.E.O. is the one with more mature and less distinct voice, who's usually handling the first 16 bars, giving listeners a piece of great job. He's easily keeping up with the pace and the beat, his lines are clean and stay in mind fast, however his rhymes are a bit too simple and typical. The other half of the duet - M.A. - seems to have more youngish, charismatic, still mature voice, which sounds pretty serious. He's smoothly moving through subsequent lines, at the same time maintaining the tempo. What's more, his message gets straight into one's memory thanks to simple, yet catchy rhymes and words. Here's just a taste of his verses:

It's M.A. nigga, I'm a hustler by nature
A custom to haters
I'm in love with paper

See, I normally don't do this
Lil mama - two things
Money the only thang I normally move with
It's probably the liquor up in me
But if she choosin' I might bring her with me

The mentioned, mostly local group of invited artists, left a few tight verses, out of which I especially enjoyed the one by Stevie Joe. A great effort was also brought by music producers, including M.A. himself and other people from the label. Over half of the beats were delivered by Official Bizness Ent. - M.A. (5) and others (2). Except for that studio work was also handled by Rich Banks, D-Animals, Lil B.E.Z. and School Boyz. Composers did real well, bringing the music to the next, high quality level. The production featured a clean, loud bass line and mainstream, unique sample loops, which quickly engrave in one's memory. Putting only 13 tracks on the album was in my opinion a good idea, as it guaranteed no skips, needless skits or recycled songs. I was yet deeply surprised that Evenodds released these brand new, high budget and clear vibes in a typical mixtape framework, burning the project in a CD-R format and inserting it into a slim case. What's more, they shared its digital version with their fans and you can legally download the whole thing for free from WeTheWest.com. I also recommend you to visit Evenodds' profiles on MySpace, iTunes and CD Baby.

Props to D.E.O. for sending copies to BayUndaground.com staff for the review.

Mar 26, 2010
www.SoldierHard.com
Soldier Hard - Boots Laced Up
Stoned Underground (2009)

01. Boots Laced Up
02. If I Die In Battle
03. I'll Be There For You f. Dego
04. Go Head Baby
05. I'm A Warrior Part 2
06. Jus Wanna Luv Ya f. Luciano
07. I Don't Wanna
08. We Coming Home
09. Traicionera f. Alfonso Medina & Baby D
10. The Military Wife Part 2 f. Dego
11. I Go Dummy f. Pody Mouth & Dego
12. Where I'm From f. Yung Zune
13. Who Dat f. Young Ro
14. Stunnah Shades On
15. The West f. On Deck
16. Say Good By f. Aries
17. Soldier Hard Interview (skit)

Solider Hard, who's one of the loudest military voices in northern Cali rap releases his 6th official solo project in 2009. We've already had a chance to grab 3 of his long plays, an EP and also a greatest hits compilation - all these in less than three years. Still young, yet lyrically mature artist represents not only the Bay Area turf, but primarily people affiliated with the army.

From day one Soldier Hard is far from being a typical emcee, as most of his music tells about life and times of a soldier. Same recipe is used on "Boots Laced Up", which discloses its content with a title and a cover. Most of the themes refer to the ones we've heard on previous endeavors, including troops' issues, their feelings, thoughts and homesickness. Some people might think that SH's projects became lyrically repetitive, which is confirmed by sequel songs like "I'm A Warrior Part 2" and "The Military Wife Part 2". There's no need to worry about it though, as the rapper put a bit of new and fresh vibes into his art; audible for instance in club tracks like "I Go Dummy" or a hyphy one called "Stunnah Shades On". You'll also hear about the streets of northern California in slaps like "Where I'm From" and "The West". Nevertheless the main attraction is the drama and sorrow passed through the words of many other tracks, mostly situated in the first half of the album. Regardless of the topic of the song, Soldier Hard is leaving great verses filled with emotions and his charismatic voice. It's clear that he was not only born to handle the rifle, but also a microphone. Smooth flow perfectly matches his pleasant voice and lets the message get straight to listener's ears. Solid effort was also put into production, which had its ups and downs on previous projects. I was really amazed with professional and polished beats on "Boots Laced Up". The whole team of composers held the music on the highest level. Hereby I thank people like Smee, Luciano Pacheco, Sinima, Plucks, Hygrade Prod., Baby D, DubbsAttic, Young C, Purp Beats and Ansane. Faster tempo with lively melodies are mainly represented by songs like "Boots Laced Up", "We Coming Home", "I Go Dummy" and "Stunnah Shades On". Nonetheless there's a huge space filled by soft vibes with catchy hooks, where a few were delivered by RnB artists like Chesca and Luciano. My favorite of those more laidback anthems is "Traicionera" with guest appearances by Alfonso Medina and Baby D - both rapping in Spanish. It doesn't really matter if the song is a thought-provoking laidback track or a fast-paced club slapper, everything was planned and perfected. The final rating has been lowered a bit because of low budget exterior. The album was pressed on a poor quality cd-r (can't even play it in my car audio system), while the cover (a single sheet) was printed on a lousy paper. However it doesn't make the music worse, so don't judge book by its cover and get yourself a copy of this project, for instance on websites like CDBaby.com or Kunaki.com. Soldier Hard's fans may agree with me or not, but I really think it is his best album so far.
thanks a million once again, cant wait for ya to review, "Soldier of the Bay" when it drops!!!

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
Soldier Hard - The Introduction
Soldier Ent. (2007)

01. If I Fall In Love
02. I'm Go Hard
03. Womens Fed Up
04. Real Soldier
05. Walk With Me
06. I Love Her
07. Gone f. Baby Bash
08. So Into You
09. Play The Boss
10. Will Not Fail
11. Baila Mamita f. Matai
12. Like Me
13. Feelin Myself (remix) f. Mac Dre

"The Introduction" is a sophomore official solo album by the Vallejo rapper Soldier Hard. He has already dropped an LP project called "Spirit Of Pain" (2005) and a short, 4-track deep CD entitled "Do Your Thang" (2003) as AWOL Soldier.

It may seem that Soldier Hard is a rising rap star and a protégé of a well known legend, as there's a "Mac Dre / Thizz" stamp on the cover plus the tracklist includes famous names like Baby Bash and Andre Hicks himself. The truth is, that back then there were very few people who recognized this artist as he spent most of the time out of California, often being on a battlefield far from US. Next to military service and love to his country, Soldier Hard deeply needs to share his thoughts and pass his story to a wider audience, that's why he decided to independently record rap music. Later you'll find out that this thizz-looking logo was simply pasted, while Mac Dre verses (also the beat) were taken from "Ronald Dregan" album. Nevertheless it doesn't mean that SH is a shoddy artist. The project was pressed on a CD-R and the printing of artwork needs better quality, however it is not the first time, when this convinces you not to judge the book by its cover.

While listening to all 12 tracks you'll barely find any defects or place for boredom. Soldier Hard may not be the most experienced emcee and it's rather difficult for him to compete with other Bay cats, but his craft definitely doesn't need much polishing; maybe just a bit of more sophisticated rhymes. This V-Town artist smoothly and easily follows each beat, proving that rapping is a piece of cake for him. The title of the CD - "The Introduction" - suggests that the album presents and portrays the military figure. Therefore we'll find out that he didn't name himself like this without a reason as stories from his service are described in songs like "Real Soldier" or "Walk With Me". Yet these kind of lyrics weren't the leading one, as the majority of his writings were dedicated to women and feelings. Half or even more of the tracks speak of rapper's weakness towards ladies. We'll hear how easy Soldier Hard can be infatuated or how pleased he is when chicks are around him. On the other hand there's a soft song called "I Love Her" which describes his love towards the daughter. It's obvious that female listeners will find his lyrics more catchy, as they are far from loutish or vulgar. Delivery becomes more raw only on tracks like "I'm Go Hard" (about tough life), "So Into You" (about cheating on a girl), "Like Me" (about "playa hating") and "Gone" (the weed anthem). Let's move to the production now. It perfectly fits the overall idea of the album and complements each song; both when it comes to softer as well as more lively ones. The major part of the music is characterized by delicate, soft and original instrumental loops, rarely with a taste of innovation like for instance on "Baila Mamita", which is a kind of a reggaeton track. It's a shame that none of the producers were listed on the projects' artwork. "The Introduction" satisfied my expectations as it showed me how talented (vocalwise and lyrically) Soldier Hard is. A great dose of solo songs, mature and personal lyrics and a very impressive production created a great CD, which you should definitely check out.

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
Soldier Hard - For The Ladies
Soldier Entertainment (2007)

01. See You Smile
02. Ride With Me
03. Shake Your Body
04. I Need You
05. Hood Chicks
06. Into You
07. Dreamin
08. Yum Yum f. Royalty
09. Wifey Love f. Matai
10. Bonus Track f. Poppi Cas

"For The Ladies" is a third album by Soldier Hard - a Vallejo rapper and a prime representative of the Bay Area military music. After the last two long-play CDs he decided to release an EP project, which is mainly directed to the feminine part of the audience.

If you had a chance to listen to the previous records by this rapper, you should definitely associate him with US Army service lyrics and with the one talks about emotions and feelings towards women. His weakness to chicks has already been audible on "The Introduction", so it wasn't a big surprise when Soldier Hard resolved to make a whole album with softer and more delicate vibes and themes. It was a good move to drop a shorter project, as obviously a longer one with such lyrics could bore the listeners. What's more, this CD proves again that this V-Town military cat prepares a solid rap, this time delivering it with a tasty and pleasant musical setting. He had smoothly avoided monotony, which could appear, while having only one topic as a lyrical background. It's true that we'll mostly hear songs about women, yet it was achieved in various ways. Therefore we'll get laidback tracks praising a feminine company ("See You Smile", "Ride For Me"), soft vibes talking about the need of having a chick ("I Need You", "Dreamin"), more vivid ones admiring girl's body and behavior ("Shake Your Body", "Hood Chicks") plus a cut about love and sex ("Yum Yum"). Soldier Hard is lyrically a very experienced and mature artist as you'll definitely find his message deep, personal and original. "For The Ladies" is certainly far from being melancholic and too soft. You'll obviously find some sweet cuts right here as well, however they are surely far from being corny. On the other hand you receive a proper, diverse production. The majority of the beats were filled with mild tones and slower tempos, however there are also more energetic anthems like "Shake Your Body, "Hood Chick" or a reggeaton type of a track called "Yum Yum". It's a pity that no one bothered to list the producers, as they definitely deserve to be thanked for their work. I'd also like to give props to RnB singers (Fedarro, Matai, Kendra and Santino Da Truth) who often appeared on choruses. Unfortunately you'll find 2 recycled songs: "Into You" from "The Introduction" album and a bonus track which in fact is "Womens Fed Up" with an additional verse by Poppi Cas. "For The Ladies" will certainly catch females' attention, but I also encourage all guys to cop it. It's healthy to tear yourself away from filthy lyrics and gangsta rap from time to time.

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
Cin'atra - Rhymez Emphasizing Actual Life
Deep Groove Entertainment (2007)

01. Survivin' Iz Ah Must
02. Dats Whasup
03. We f. X Caliber, Mo Suntzu, Ashes & Overflow
04. Microphone Mutilation f. Mo-X & Lil G
05. Tha Ghetto
06. Sunny Dayz
07. Down 4 Me
08. Know About It
09. R.E.A.L. Gangstaz (skit)
10. U Ain't No Psycho f. F-Dux & Overflow
11. When U Comeup Missin' f. F-Dux & V Tha Noble 1
12. Punk Police
13. Am I My Brothaz Keeper Or Killa? (skit)
14. Strugglin' f. Mo Suntzu
15. Friend Or F.O.E. f. F.O.E.
16. Take Ah Look @ Your Life
17. Git Drunk, Git Hype f. Overflow & F-Dux
18. Tha Commission f. F.O.E.

Even though the name of the website clearly suggests that we deal with the Bay Area rap, we've always supported also artists out of central as well as generally northern California. We decided to expand our network to the northern states of the West Coast and that's how we reached Seattle in Washington. I'm not fully familiar with its local music scene, however I've already had an opportunity to review the album by Turf Grindaz duet - Cin'atra is a part of it. Before he recorded this project, he had also released two solos: "It'z Official" in 2004 and the currently handled "Rhymez Emphasizing Actual Life" in 2007.

Strange thing is that I'm getting familiar as well as reviewing Cin'atra's discography in a reversed order, yet I think that it doesn't really matter in this case, since this particular solo is something entirely different than the 2009 Turf Grindaz debut. That one was dominated by entertainment, once the ambitious one, the other time more mundane, but eventually its main purpose was to amuse the listener and make him bob the head. However out here the artist focused on delivering certain thoughts, sharing his history and views on various subjects. Indeed the title itself accurately describes the feel of the cd: "Rhymez Emphasizing Actual Life". Cin'atra is comfortable with the mic in his hand, as he has absolutely no problems with following each and every rhythm, he changes pace of his flow or even the tone of voice. What is more, you should note that he polished his lyrics on a word level and cared for rhymes to be unique and of high quality. Here's the sample of his verse from "We":

Actin' real suspicious
Actin' just like my mistress
Thinkin' because we kick it
They got the best of interest
You ain't puttin' no dough
You ain't my kid, ho
Therefore your ass ain't on my payroll

Let's get back to the mentioned above song themes. The artist shares with us his experiences, both current ones as well as stories from adolescence. He talks about growing up, fake rappers on the scene and constant fight for welfare among citizens from lower classes of the society. I'm especially fond of these more personal tracks, the calm, slower-paced ones, with instrumental, ear-catching leading motives. Among such you will definitely find "Tha Ghetto", "Sunny Dayz", "Down 4 Me" (this particular one tells of love towards a woman) and "Strugglin'". The first two mentioned are in fact excellent masterpieces, songs brilliant in every aspect, in my opinion one of the brightest parts of the whole solo. Significant work was put in by RnB singers, the hooks simply wouldn't be so exquisite without their vocals; don't diminish the role of choruses, it's thanks to them that you memorize a melody of a particular track. Props to TyShawn, Mr. Rossi, Marioso and Amanda Dunn. Cin'atra shows off his skills not only in those melancholic, calm songs, as he's also able to come up with equally absorbing, yet dynamic and way harder "U Ain't No Psycho" or "When U Comeup Missin'". I should also point out the thought-provoking "Punk Police" that includes substantial, rich in merit disses towards police. What's interesting, there are also a couple of cuts that feature a hip-hop type of braggadacio - word jugglery, sprinkled with verbal threats, smart similes, metaphors and sophisticated vocabulary. I mainly mean "Microphone Mutilation", "Friend Or F.O.E" and "Tha Commission", out of which the latter ones were dominated by the megagroup F.O.E., that's why they easily exceed 5 minutes without even having hooks. On one hand these are some really decent recordings, but on the other I'm not fully convinced whether they actually match the album as a whole. The production on "Rhymez Emspasizing..." is generally of high quality, especially the first half of the project, where sounds tend to be even brilliant - musical setting full of samples and rich in instruments. On the contrary, I think that "Strugglin'" lacks bit more distinct drum hits, "Take Ah Look @ Your Life" could be more serious and I wasn't necessarily satisfied with the "Git Drunk, Git Hype", seemed just too lively and carefree. Nevertheless these are just exceptions, as Cin'atra generally cared for a surprisingly polished production. It was handled by Funk Daddy (4), Mo Suntzu (3), Maniac The Siouxpernatural (3), Pain, Supaman, Big Ice, Apoulo, Red Head Steve and JooneBug. California rap fans would better know that this record is a thoroughbred West Coast piece and it only proves that untapped Northwest artists do make quality music with familiar vibes. I recommend you this cd, as it provides a really noteworthy dose of hard sounds.

All of you who are interested should visit following links: CD Baby, CinatraMusic.com as well as MySpace.
Cin'atra, thank you providing the album for the review.

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
Chraze-C - Rawthentic
Envius Musik (2009)

01. On The Grind f. Teazem
02. Beginners Luck
03. Yeah We f. Prospects
04. For The Family
05. Spit It Raw f. Teazem
06. Everywhere I Go
07. Wanna Go There f. IMC
08. No Strings Attached f. DAS
09. Forever
10. All They Wanna Do f. Prospects, DAS & Teazem
11. Been There
12. Factors f. Teazem
13. Wut U Think I Thought
14. Criminal Mindset f. DAS & Dro
15. Had Enough f. Redeem
16. Everything You Need
17. Killafornia f. Ethnik & Hidy
18. Gettin Money f. Teazem
19. Do It Better

There's a new, buoyant San Jose forge of talents named Envius Musik. It is led by a producer, rapper and businessman Teazem. So far it is only recognized in the local underground, however I think that it's only a matter of time until its representatives bubble. The movement consists of such individuals as Teazem Beatz, group The Prospects (Tre Mak and Jay-T), Chraze-C, DAS and TC Kapone, whose projects are already reviewed on the website (read here). Now it's time to handle one of the 2009 projects, an official solo debut "Rawthentic" by a young, white West Side San Jose resident, who is also a show promoter.

Even though Envius Musik is a young record label and its rappers as well as producers are currently far from famous, it indeed has plenty to offer. With its solo album Chraze-C proved that he is already an experienced performer. It is clearly audible, as he easily and smoothly flows to any rhythm. His flow seems very natural, plus he always stays melodious, maintains youthful charisma and perfectly follows various beats. He tends to change a pace, speeding up a little bit, skillfully flooding a listener with crafty lines and rhymes. Yes, Chraze-C polished the lyrical side of the project and you simply can't feel bored, as this cat recorded numerous hard-hitting, emotional tracks featuring medium or rarely fast tempos. They were also interspersed with those softer, slower ones, dominated with personal content as well as individual thoughts like in "Do It Better", "On The Grind", "For The Family" that talks about family bonds and relations or "Forever", where the artist ponders over eternal, everlasting aspects of life. Nevertheless there are way more of the already mentioned dynamic cuts, in which Chraze-C speaks about things that piss him off in contemporary world ("Had Enough"), mentions unavoidable haters, represents his state ("Killafornia") or simply brags about being great at what he's doing ("Spit It Raw", "Factors"). In other words, don't expect to hear any gangsta shit from the filthy San Jo streets infested with drug traffic and shady business. Then again don't anticipate any party, club-like slumping hits that would feature going dumb and pill-popping mannerism. Just get ready for a voice of a regular man, who tries to make ends meet in surrounding reality. Have a look at the piece of "No Strings Attached", showcasing rapper's solid rhymes:

All it takes is some persuasion
To get me blazin' the occasion
This Caucasian flows amazing
San Jose is where I'm stationed

Apart from Chraze-C, who is mainly responsible for a great vocal part, you should always pay attention to what Teazem Beatz prepared for you. This is the producer who composed the entire album. And I have to admit that he indeed put much work in, as he managed to be far from monotonous. What is more, he provided both a solid, ambitious entertainment as well as calm vibes with clearly audible soft key instrument samples in the background. This cat deftly incorporates modern technology, because his songs evidently force you to bob the head, but more often than not are also far from plastic, dance-like vibrations typical for omnipresent Internet era. Nonetheless there are also two exceptions - "Yeah We" and "Gettin Money" do feature slight hyphy indications, which I'm not too fond of. However please note that you will receive 19 full-length tracks, which ultimately resulted in the whole album lasting for more than 78 minutes; it doesn't happen often. Unfortunately the recorded material isn't of the best quality. All songs seem to be quiet enough that I need to significantly turn up the volume. Therefore the music loses its clarity and you may hear some sound imperfections. I don't know whether it's due to sloppy mastering, mixing or whatever, however to me - as a final listener - it is a bit of distracting. It is at the same time in contrast to a great vocal and beautiful production. Even despite this flaw, the cd has a lot to offer, but I wouldn't mind hearing the crystal clear version - something like a re-edition of "Demonz N My Sleep" by Woodie. You can contact the artist via his MySpace page.

Chraze, thank you for providing the album for the review.

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
Young Blaze - Blaze 2 Richez
2Face Entertainment (2010)

01. Let Ya Self Go
02. Can't Live Like This f. Young Faultless
03. Ride Wit Me
04. Don't Cry
05. Thick N Tuff f. JP
06. Back It Up
07. Notice Me
08. California
09. Klock Figgaz f. Superior 1
10. Freak Show f. Gemini
11. Irresistible
12. Blaze 2 Richez

I assume you haven't had an opportunity yet to hear about a rapper by the name of Young Blaze representing Salinas in the 831 area code in Central California. I probably wouldn't recognize him either, if it weren't for the the underground 2002 solo album by Gemini entitled "Casualties Of Life", where you could hear a verse by Blaze - the only one I know of. Obviously except for the currently reviewed solo "Blaze 2 Richez" that was released in the beginning of 2010 under the wings of 2Face Entertainment, which was founded by the already mentioned Gemini aka Grindhouse.

The hereby solo is mainly directed to people, who are not necessarily looking for dynamic entertainment, rather to those who just want to listen to laidback, calm type of rap. As Young Blaze is far from lacing you with block-type gangsta shit with thug/street type of motives and drug sales going on in the background. Don't expect an intensive party where everybody pops a pill and swings one's dreads. The artist is more old school with it and primarily focuses on the surrounding reality. For instance on "Can't Live Like This" you'll hear about low incomes and inability to make ends meet when you have a typical 9 to 5 job. What is more, "Don't Cry" talks about hardships in childhood, adolescence as well as lack of love and support from the closest around, while "Thick N Tuff" is a portray of ghetto life, far from being glamorized though. Indeed, the mentioned tracks are serious, middle-paced and feature a smooth, laidback music with frequent and ear-catching (electric) guitar and key instrument samples. Blaze also talks a lot about women - it will definitely be appreciated by the female part of the audience. Such tracks as "Ride Wit Me", "Notice Me" or "Irresistible" are simply melodious and mesmerizing odes to all beautiful chicks, the ones who are difficult to be ignored, yet often not even pay attention to you. Tempos become faster only occasionally, namely on "Let Ya Self Go" as well as "Back It Up", but don't get fooled by the titles, as they have totally nothing in common with the hyphy movement or club-like vibes, maybe more in a Baby Bash type of mannerism. The rapper himself handles his verses in a decent way, he has absolutely no problems with being smooth and more often than not leaves behind really nice bars. From time to time he will surprise you with an interesting rhyme, however note that it was not his intention to shock you with stunning punch-lines or heart-touching metaphors. Have a look at the below quote:

We turn the dance floor into major freak show
I love the way you movin' nice and slow
So continue to rock the thang like a pro
So unstoppable
Especially when you be touchin' your toes

The album wouldn't have this unique feel to it, if it weren't for the polished production, entirely handled by DJ Mix-N-Spin; only one song was done by M-Fluence. Composers rose to the occasion and cared for middle- or slow-paced tempos as well as soft, nice sounds with the already mentioned instrumental samples. Only few cuts stand out of these standards, for example "California" that is a bit harder, even darker Cali anthem. I was only not fully satisfied with the beat on the last, title track - "Blaze 2 Richez" - where rapper himself came up with a couple of played-out rhymes as well. That's why I'm glad that it was put as a final one on the solo. In other words, get ready to go back to basics while listening to these laidback vibes and hooks performed by female singers. Truth be told, "Blaze 2 Richez" is not a breakthrough in the history of rap, neither a perfect album. Nevertheless it has something to offer and definitely provides a solid dose of pleasure, because you can relax to it, take a breath. What is more, it's balanced enough to appeal to both male and female fans. I'm glad to see the new face of 2Face Entertainment back in the rap game and I keep my fingers crossed for upcoming projects.

The cd can be purchased for example on CD Baby.
I would also like to give big props to the 2Face Ent. CEO - Gemini aka Grindhouse - who submitted a copy of this album for review purposes.
Here's a grip of handy MySpace profiles: Young Blaze, Grindhouse, 2Face Ent. and DJ Mix-N-Spin.

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
Da Danker (aka Sleepdank) - Vallejo's Top Exec
SleepyKat (2006)
Rating: 3/5

01. Tonight
02. Sugar Walls f. Louieville Slugga
03. Ridin Chevy's
04. Hate Me f. Trecherous Tic & Boss Hogg
05. Favor-tizm
06. I'm A Gee
07. Cressidah
08. Everywhere We Go
09. Roll 1 Up
10. What It Iz f. Ferocious & Pablo Fetti
11. Heavyweights f. Da' Unda' Dogg & Ya Boy
12. Whatcanido
13. Get Ya Money
14. Womp, Womp, Womp, Womp f. Boss Hogg & Stevie D
15. They Sleep... f. Strict 9 & Rick Moss
16. Bounce, Rock, Shake f. Dubee & Trecherous Tic
17. Pimp Thangz f. Trecherous Tic & Mac Dre
18. Bay Boss f. Lil Ric & Black C
19. Feelin Fly f. Keak Da Sneak & San Quinn
20. End Of Days f. JT The Bigga Figga & RBX

Crestside in Vallejo, California is one of the most fertile rap wombs in the Bay Area, especially thanks to vets and famous artists who rep this town. Next to stars like Mac Dre, Dubee, Mac Mall, J-Diggs, Reed Daddy or PSD Tha Drivah you should recognize a rapper named Sleepdank. Even though his first project was released in 2001, you could notice his performances in 90's on other artists' cds. Since the debut hit the stores he also managed to record a compilation and 3 other solo joints, including the reviewed one called "Vallejo's Top Exec".

Sleepdank, here performing as Da Danker, is definitely one of those undoubted pros for whom writing bars and spitting them out is just a piece of cake. My opinion isn't groundless though, since during over a 10-year long rap experience he polished his flow and perfected lyrical delivery. It's a real pleasure to listen to Dank's verses, including those from the reviewed album, where random lines feature catchy expressions and great rhymes. Here's one of them:

Good Lord, where you got that ass from?!
Your face looks cute plus your thighs look handsome,
Merk some, perk some, I gots to have some,
When they're hot and thick, mayn I just can't pass'em

Except for effortlessly created verses and unique rhyming skills Sleepdank also easily switches his flow together with a pace. It's usually rather mild, where rapper slowly and clearly delivers his bars. Nonetheless when the rhythm speeds up, like for instance on "Bounce, Rock, Shake", he still follows the beat focusing on lyrics at the same time. Check out the proof of it from the song mentioned above:

Bounce, rock, shake that mami,
Sleep Da Danker gon' work that body,
Sleep Da Danker gon' get that hottie,
Is she working with the paper? probably

Vocal and lyrical skills are complemented by nice, yet typical themes raised by Sleepdank. "Vallejo's Top Exec" is filled with sexual content as you'll hear a lot about pimping, going hard on a chick and admiring women's shapes. A minor part of the album was dominated by songs about bragging and boasting, dissing haters and fake people. There's also a track about Chevys ("Ridin Chevy's"), repping the hood ("Cressidah") and smoking weed ("Roll 1 Up"). Unfortunately rapper's talent and his polished delivery were dimmed by an average production. Most of it sounds mean as it's missing clarity and more distinct, louder bass lines. The sample loops themselves are fine, fitting crestside-like tones, but the realization of it lacks imaginativeness and perfection. One should blame Louieville Slugga as he composed 8 beats, out of which only a few keep good quality. The rest of the production was brought by Saan aka Malik (3), Ugly Fingers (2), Opm 1, A-1, Lo, Lev, Platinum P, K-One and Da' Unda' Dogg, who's responsible for a great background on "Heavyweights". Not that important, still noticeable flaw of this album are recycled tracks, which fortunately mostly appeared in the end. Songs #13, #19 and #20 were taken from Danker's debut, while #18 was featured earlier on Black C's "Last Man Standing". The total number of brand new tracks (16) is still satisfactory though. It's a pity that the fourth solo project by Sleepdank isn't musically that clean and professional as its cover or polished vocals by the host. Truth is, if you're a die-hard Crestside rap fan you will probably enjoy it more than I did.

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
Jacka & Berner - Drought Season 2
Bern One Ent. (2009)

01. Traffickin' f. Lee Majors
02. 17708 f. Joe Blow
03. Prey On The Weak f. Killa Tay
04. Live By It, Die By It f. Joe Blow
05. Zion f. Messy Marv
06. Colder Blood f. J Stalin
07. All I Know f. Ampichino
08. Not Tha Same f. Fed-X
09. Ridin' High f. Joe Blow
10. The World f. Ampichino
11. Temper f. AP.9
12. Ain't A Game f. Freeze
13. O's f. Fed-X
14. Murder Murder f. Lee Majors
15. Circles f. Cellski & Fed-X

The second official album by Berner and The Jacka hits northern California rap market after a year from its predecessor. In the meantime neither artist rested on his laurels. Frisco representative and the CEO of Bern One Ent. released a solo album entitled "Weekend At Bernie's", cooked two duets: the official one with Ampichino and the street one with Equipto under Demolition Men belt, plus soon after the reviewed cd he'll drop a collabo with Messy Marv. To no lesser extent can we speak about Jacka's successes, who enlarged his discography with a similar 4-cd deep result: a solo titled "Tear Gas", official duos with Lee Majors and 12 Gauge Shotie as well as "The Street Album".

"Drought Season 2" is a great example of a perfect sequel, which not only maintained previously enforced vibes, ambiance and overall sound, but also, if not above all, it kept high level. At the very first glance we can see that the cover seems familiar. Indeed, it refers to the last one as volume one pictured hosts cooking drugs in the kitchen, while the latest one shows other phase of dealing - the delivery. This rap duo not accidentally links the artwork and the title with this business, as they talk about it almost the whole time. Truth is, the topics were slightly widened on the second part of the series, yet at the same time we can clearly hear when artists intertwine titled "drought season" into choruses of all first three songs. Even when they don't rap about their drug adventures you can be sure they'll speak about derivative subjects. Next to typical drug anthems ("Traffickin'", "17708", "Live By It, Die By It") there are tracks about being tough, gritty and calm at the same time ("Colder Blood", "Temper") or about living in fear and bad times ("Not The Same"). You'll notice more similarities, yet no loner that big, in production credits as Cozmo and Gennessee appeared earlier on the first part. The lead position was taken by Pak Slap though, who brought 6 tracks. The mentioned Frisco beat maker Cozmo delivered 4 other songs, while the rest was done by people like Goblin, Gennessee, DNA Beats, MC and Jeev. These changes didn't really matter much, as the quality sound was still high. Producers continued work from "Drought Season" part one leaving soft, calm and melodious vibes. The reviewed album has even more melancholic and emotional beats, which makes it even more impressing, thrilling I could say. It's hard to describe music with words only, but be sure that its creators made the beats sound fresh, unique and extremely clear. The vocal duo didn't let down either. Verses by The Jacka shouldn't be a surprise, as if you felt his calm, light flows you won't be disappointed here. Although I think he could've tried harder, which is noticeable for instance on a bit of less rhythmic verse on "Prey On The Weak". Berner on the other hand might not be such an experienced emcee, yet he had somehow amazed me with his lines. Not necessarily with sophisticated rhymes, more with smoothness in his technique. Quite often it might have been the message itself:

They gave him 25 to life and his wife doesn't care,
They told his kids he was dead, cause he wasn't there,
This shit is deep, real deep, it will catch up quick,
And watch the city runs dry, cause the feds just hit

You'll also have another dose of great guest appearances, not only by rap stars but also by RnB artist Fam Syrk singing on hooks. The final rating was decreased a little because of two cuts from the end of the album: "O's", whose chorus was screwed & chopped (Dirty South type) and "Circles", where the hook wasn't that bad (even though it was sampled) but the overall sound of it was almost drowsy. Nonetheless those few flaws had no significant impact on the solid foundation of this project. "Drought Season" sequel is a piece of great modern Bay Area rap, which I personally think (as a whole series) has a chance to become a classic after a few years from now.

Jan 4, 2003
www.bayundaground.com
Jacka & Berner - Drought Season
Bern One Ent. (2008)

01. Keep It Flooded - Berner
02. Time Flies
03. Watch Me f. Fed-X
04. Battlefield f. Fed-X & Baldhead Rick
05. Fresher f. Don Toriano
06. Drought Season f. San Quinn
07. My Life f. Dubee
08. Look Up f. Cellski
09. Can't Walk f. Alcatraz
10. Changed Man f. Sky Balla
11. Purp - Cozmo, B-Legit & Berner
12. Fall Down
13. Keep It Street f. Equipto
14. Trap House f. Don Toriano & Goldtoes

The rap history of Berner - young artist and entrepreneur out of San Francisco - started not that long ago, somewhere around 2007. A half Mexican half Italian boy debuted with an album "Dirty Sneakers... Plenty Ways To Get It", releasing a joint project with Equipto afterwards. At first his music ventures were more based on and supported by his respect and connections gained in the trap game, than by true and honest adoration of his rap talent. The other half of the reviewed cd belongs to a famous Mob Figaz member, who's already managed to drop over 10 projects, including 3 official solos, group albums, duets with Ampichino and Husalah, Mob Trial series... just to name a few. The Jacka - the one I'm talking about - recorded a full length official cd entitled "Drought Season" along with Berner in 2008.

I clearly remember that the beginning of Bernie's career wasn't the easiest one. There were lots of people who claimed that this Frisco rapper shouldn't hold the mic at all or at least he should step his rap game up much. Truth is, I also sceptically approached to his projects, which were overloaded with guest appearances, thinking that he was inviting so many artists to cover up his own flaws. I didn't expect him to be the master of this craft after an only 1-year long experience. On the other hand having such a great collabo artist and a line-up of talented guests like San Quinn, B-Legit, Cellski, Dubee or Sky Balla by his side, he was eventually forced to come up with something noteworhty. One thing has to be admitted - Berner definitely makes an effort to polish his flow. It's not the best one I've ever heard, but I found it intriguing and unique in a way, as it stays in my mind for a long time. Bernie uses a regular, maybe even a bit boring, yet recognizable voice in rather slower tempos, where he usually keeps the pace and rhythm. What distinguishes this artist from a crowd of others are his lyrics, which might not necessarily feature sophisticated rhymes, yet are written with an easy hand and will drill into memories of even the most inflexible pessimists. The lyrical message is so authentic and real, because it's based on the story of rapper's life, his adventures of entrepreneur/supplier. Even if a song refers to artists' freshness and glamorousness, you'll definitely hear that the clothes and jewelery they wear were bought with dirty, most likely drug money. To summarize Berner's delivery I have to admit it is at least decent; definitely interesting and catchy. The other half of vocal side was handled by an experienced rapper by the name of Jacka. He mostly brought smooth and soft verses, which might miss that melodiousness from his older material. Anyway, the major part of Bay Area rap fan base will surely enjoy performances by the Mob Figaz member and should be pleased with Berner's, as long as you'll appreciate his effort and start really hearing his lyrics.

There shouldn't be any controversy with producer's job though, as they composed a set of beautiful beats with the highest and clearest quality of sound. The forefront was hosted by Cozmo and Gennessee, each with 4 cuts under his belt, while Rob Lo, Stinj-E and Dunce showed their talents, each on two different songs. This production quintet held a high, solid and balanced level throughout the whole time. Soft, sometimes melancholic, sometimes piercing vibes with proper bass lines accompany every minute of "Drought Season". One of a few exceptions is audible at the great track called "My Life", which gives me creeps with its power and uniqueness. I wish there were more songs like this one, although I undoubtedly adore the rest as well. I must also give props to all invited guests, who helped the hosts handle the high quality. Thanks also go to RnB artists (Matt Blaque and Mike Marshall) who delivered smooth choruses. I don't want to sound factitious, repeating fans' opinions, as my own is based only on true feelings, yet I have to admit that "Drought Season" is one of the best Bay Area releases in the last few years.

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
Sinnaman Unseen - Bay Livin Pay Gitin EP
MrBasic Creations (2010)

01. Bay Livin
02. Sinnamatic
03. In Yo Eardrum
04. Bay Livin (peaceful remix)
05. (various tracks sampler)
06. How It Goes f. Cali Kidd
07. The Catalyst
08. Funky Fresh f. Skeenilly & MrBasic
09. Bay Livin (extended mix)

Sinnaman Unseen is an underground Bay Area rapper that's in the rap game for quite a long time now - he started in early 90's. He recorded lots of material, unfortunately only its small portion was ever released on official projects. You could hear him perform together with such local groups as Dead Assassins or The Keep It Movin Family. The debut solo EP "Rap Hoop Smoke Drank & Thug" dropped under MrBasic's wings back in 2007 and a year after - under the name of Bay G - came out second cd entitled "The Tact Album". The year of 2010 brings yet another EP, once again recorded together with MrBasic; it is the currently reviewed "Bay Livin Pay Gitin".

Truth is, Sinnaman is unfortunate when it comes to releasing full-length material, however it is possible that this project will have the ball rolling and we'll start seeing subsequent, long awaited longplays hit the streets soon. Indeed, the currently reviewed EP is more of an appetizer whose purpose is to encourage you to seek for the upcoming endeavors by the artist. As for a semi-promotional product you will find it placed in a traditional jewel case, yet with a kind of old-fashioned graphic design. It is uncommon nowadays to see a front cover not over-saturated with Photoshop effects, bling here, bling there. Hell no, MrBasic Creations is real old school with it and probably counts for people who know what they are looking for or the ones who don't pay too much attention to visual gimmicks. It is even clearly visible in the above shrunk version that you will receive a plain photo in the middle with two black stripes an the top and bottom that feature regular writings - and that's it, no tricks at all! The musical side of the project can be characterized by a similar approach. The entire production has been handled by MrBasic himself and I'm compelled to admit that 90's rap fans will definitely be pleased. The composer mainly served calm, laidback melodies that feature the feel of the past millennium. Therefore don't expect anything that even vaguely resembles electronic vibrations typical for the contemporary hyphy era, neither hard-hitting or hardcore gangsta slumps. The EP is dominated with middle-paced tempos and instrumental loops, over which Sinnaman lays nice verses with slight hip-hop notes in them. Delicate enough that it doesn't irritate me, which reminds me of equally polished flows by T-K.A.S.H. or Equipto. Just have a look at the piece below:

Metaphorically I'm at the peak
So high that it seems
My words can kiss Jesus' feet
Yes this speech originated deep
From beneath the streets
Where fiends sell their sneaks
Just to procure them a little piece

Maybe this quote doesn't necessarily portray that Sinnaman tends to come up with crafty rhyme patterns, yet it should be clearly visible that he skillfully combines the street delivery with hip-hop spirit and a knack for metaphors as well as similes. Nevertheless I think that the artist talks too much in general. I mostly mean the played-out themes like living-in-the-Bay, self-presentation plus bragging, stacking one's dough, ghetto reality etc. I feel a lack of something more personal or at least anything that would make the lyrical layer stand out from the overwhelming crowd. Don't take me wrong though, Sinnaman did hell of a job out here, yet I still think he can do better than that. Especially since his flow is really on point - thanks to his experience the rapper flawlessly follows each and every rhythm brought by MrBasic. I have already mentioned above that the hereby "Bay Livin Pay Gitin" is just an appetizer, which is only confirmed by the album's untypical structure. Please note, that the title "Bay Livin" track is available in 3 versions and #5 hides a medley of single verses from various, unheard yet songs. I don't have anything against such add-ons if they are located in the very end of the album, but when you place them in the middle they kind of distract me, as I need to skip such teasers after I'm familiar with them. "Bay Livin" sounds best in its original version, the drumless "peaceful remix" didn't impress me at all. On the other hand the "extended mix" has no differences except for an additional, fourth verse. And that's the way to go - more than 5 minutes of solid rap craftsmanship. Apart from this one there are 3 more songs lasting equally long, which leaves only 2 cuts out of de facto 6 with less than 4 minutes of music. All in all, this EP serves its purpose, because I will be looking for subsequent endeavors by Sinnaman. However its so-called "repeat value" is deprecated by the already mentioned, redundant in my opinion bonuses. I also do hope, that the artist will focus on surrounding world or other, more absorbing subjects. I encourage you to visit MrBasic's MySpace page where you can listen to his various cuts.

Dec 6, 2002
www.BayUndaground.com
Rob Baysicc, Stewie Chope'ez & Big Lou - No Recess Pt. 2: Class In Session
Initialized Ent. / Scripp Block Muzik / Hustle Klann (2010)

01. Handz Down - Stewie Chope'ez, 5-Boi, Sav, Kevo Da Kwik, Rob Baysicc, Rob Peez & Big Lou
02. Keep My Name In Yo Mouth - Rob Baysicc, Big Lou & Rated
03. On Sum Mob Shit (remixx) - J-Dime, Rob Peez, Young Steve, Stewie Chope'ez, Ness Tha Mess, Rob Baysicc & Big Lou
04. Real Talk - Rob Baysicc, Stewie Chope'ez & Big Lou
05. Fuck Yo Block - Stewie Chope'ez, Big Lou & Rob Baysicc
06. On A Roll - Rob Baysicc, Big Lou & Ness Tha Mess
07. So Fresh So Clean - Rob Baysicc, Big Lou & Stewie Chope'ez
08. S.N.I.T.C.H. - Stewie Chope'ez, Rob Baysicc & Big Lou
09. Get Ur Money Rite - Big Lou, Stewie Chope'ez & XSF
10. We Go - Kevo Da Kwik, Rob Baysicc & Stewie Chope'ez
11. Hustle Til I Die - Rob Baysicc, Stewie Chope'ez, Kevo Da Kwik & Rob Peez
12. Ride Wit Me - Big Lou
13. Live Only Now - Big Lou & Rob Baysicc
14. Class In Session - Rob Baysicc, Rob Rize & Paypa Chaysa
15. Myspace Thugs - Stewie Chope'ez & Rob Baysicc
16. Blow Grapes Get Loot - Big Lou, Rob Baysicc & Sane
17. Mobolous - Big Lou, Young Steve, Rob Baysicc, J-Dime & Ness Tha Mess
18. Rollin Wit Tha Mob - Big Lou, D-Shyne & Rob Baysicc
19. We Got - Pay-A-Fee, Stewie Chope'ez & 50 Cal

Rob Baysicc is a hard-working rapper representing Mission District in San Francisco. He so far managed to release 5 underground, promotional projects and all of them are available for listen and download at DatPiff.com, yet limited physical units were also pressed. He has already networked with numerous artists, hailing from various cities in northern California as well as out of state. In 2009 he released a duo collaboration with Stewie Chope'ez from South San Francisco entitled "No Recess: Hard Werk No Play" (read the review). It's been only a year and both these cats are back in the studio together with the new artist to network with: Big Lou from Hayward, whose projects are already reviewed by BayUndaground.com staff (read here). In 2010 this trio recorded a second part of "No Recess" series subtitled "Class In Session".

I'm glad to see that Bay Area rappers are collaborating again. Indeed, the second part of "No Recess" consists of joined forces from 415, 650 and 510 area codes. You should also note that these people really have something to offer. They are all characterized by more or less hoarse voices, emotional flow and solid experience, that are clearly audible in all 19 tracks. Stewie, Baysicc and Lou smoothly follow each subsequent rhythm and perfectly match with any given pace, whether it's slow or rapid one. The currently reviewed project is mainly directed to fans of hard, street, mob type of vibes, which is even depicted by such titles as "On Sum Mob Shit", "Mobolous" or "Rollin Wit Tha Mob". Therefore it is mostly dominated with hood topics involving violence, turf business and caring for one's reputation. Money for instance is a leading motive of songs like "On A Roll" or "Get Ur Money Rite". Other than that you'll receive a portion of disses towards haters ("Keep My Name..."), rats ("S.N.I.T.C.H.") and fake, Internet gangsters ("Myspace Thugs"). These tracks musically allude to classic, hard, typically West Coast type of vibes. However in many cases they were also rationally sprinkled with modern sounds that bring in dynamism and at the same time have really little in common with plastic, computerized vibrations. Only occasionally will you hear any samples strictly typical to hyphy sub-genre, as in "We Go", "Blow Grapes Get Loot" and "So Fresh So Clean". Nevertheless 3 tracks out of total 19 is a small number, so even if you're not fond of such music, you'd better know that it doesn't spoil the overall positive outcome. Many joints on the hereby "No Recess Pt. 2" do feature a certain subject, so one doesn't have an impression that you constantly get the same thing, only with a different hook. What is more, these three artists continually showcase such charisma that it is indeed difficult to feel even minimally bored while listening to their performances. Notice that there are pretty many invited guests as well. And even though most of you are probably not familiar with such names as Ness Tha Mess, Kevo Da Kwik, J-Dime or Rob Peez, you ought to know that they don't disappoint at all. I need to admit that I was positively surprised with the overall high level of this project. I didn't expect a street album with no bar code - let alone available for free download off the net! - to be of such quality. I also have to give props for beats selection, out of which only 4 were made by in-house producers: Rob Baysicc (2), D Mic The Artist and Mr. Ball. The remaining ones were handled by RockitPro.com, Id Labs, Vybe Beats, Blown Up Records, Big Tuck, Your Future Producers, Sinima and many more. All in all, the hereby album is a really solid piece of work and at the same time a giant dose of hardcore entertainment. The fact is you won't hear too many inventive things, as the lyrical content is strictly street related. Nonetheless in its kind it sounds great. I see a promising future for this rap trio and please note that they are not going to rest on their laurels. Big Lou and Stewie are already working on solos, while Rob Baysicc is keeping around 10 projects under his belt! I highly encourage you to get familiar with this cd at DatPiff.com; especially since it won't cost you a dime.

Handy MySpace addresses: Rob Baysicc, Stewie and Big Lou.
Rob, thank you for networking and providing cds for review purposes.

Mar 26, 2010
www.SoldierHard.com
IMO you are fare with your reviews, great job i salute you........this next project SOLDIER OF THE BAY is gonna take it!!!!! I was gonna send ya the DOD but all of em were messed up, they company messed up, the CD skips fresh out the wrapper it suck cuz i really wanted you to review the DOD album!!!! how can we make that happen?