Bay Area Rappers - Success and Failures

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 16, 2011
Well I live in a 5 bedroom house practically just built right now in the Bay Area and I only make $35 an hour so its not that far fetched.

I think JT probably gets paid off different artists for studio time or production and he probably gets hella underground royalty checks off rappers we probably never thought where generating money. That's just my guess tho'.

I know he made almost a million off dropping that underground Game cd before Game even blew up on a major. So if you take that money flip a couple houses in a Cheap part of Atlanta its very possible to make a couple million.

There is a lot you can do once you have a big chunk of money. Money makes money I'm just making a living lol

Cio

Aug 24, 2012
San Francisco
www.reverbnation.com
Good thread!! I think something like this is open to different interpretations based on what an emcees/rappers actual goals are and idea of success is. But if it stands as eating and paying for your food and roof and in many cases just as people do naturally, have families and raise kids, well then i think there is many folks in the Bay that are successful in the rap game but 90% I want to say have a job or even two to survive and do rap on the side. Master P money and E-40 money might not be as wide spread but I feel there is many folks eatin off the rap game at this moment from the Bay and more power to them.
Success is defined differently in every ones eyes and the rap game isn't easy so at this point shoot the small things go a long way for any emcee in my opinion like hits on youtube since what the pop world presents and there being a million emcees, makes it more challenging to see financial success as an emcee. I feel longevity has been a key part of any successful Emcees career whether its with money or fan love and support.

One group tho that I felt had a real good chemistry and could have possibly had different results is The Team! I think regardless the Team has been one of the more successful folks out the Bay, I just feel like they had the potential to really be more competitive in the bigger arena of the Hiphop Rap world nationally and beyond.
good thread again!!
Peace and respect

https://soundcloud.com/mauricio-ceetwo/each-one-teach-one-feat-black

Jul 23, 2002
I always wonder what happened to all the artists from back in the day.

Poohman (still locked up i think), Dush Tray, 11/5, C.I.N., etc.e tc...the lit could go on and on. I would think if they had a love for music they would just keep doing albums, who cares about sales really. do it for the love, a way to release tension, etc.

Apr 25, 2002
^
making music recordings is an expensive hobby. unless you want your shit sounding like total shit. theres a lot of cats that dont mind their projects sounding like shit.

Aug 14, 2005
in 3 years living in atlanta $2,000,000 made. 6000 sqr feet house paid for 2012 Porsche Panamera 2009 drop Bently and the wife 2011 escalade and 2009 sl 550 all paid for. 5 bedroom house for studio work and officework paid for. all new studio equipment and film production equipment all paid for. God is good and life for me is way bigger than the bay.
shot out to all yall who believed and supported my push....even the haters .....CAN YOU SEE ME KNOW LOL. success aint money success is seeing it and doin it win lose or draw.
JT I still slap your old shit but LMAO ass off at Can u see me know hahah step your english game up mayne!

Jul 20, 2010
I consider EQuipto a success not super rich or anything but strill has a strong fan base accidentally stumbled on Nickatinas net worth online said its a little over 2 mill

Apr 25, 2002
Most rappers everywhere are failures....40 and Short and Hammer are pretty much the only names known outside of cali from the bay area....No ones checking for anyone else yall mentioned outside of cali

Sep 16, 2011
Most rappers everywhere are failures....40 and Short and Hammer are pretty much the only names known outside of cali from the bay area....No ones checking for anyone else yall mentioned outside of cali
You don't need to be a major label rapper to be a success.

Baby Beesh is a success he got houses cars and lives off his rap and he's not major.

If you get a house off rap money that's a success IMO.

Aug 26, 2002
Hard Times
I consider EQuipto a success not super rich or anything but strill has a strong fan base accidentally stumbled on Nickatinas net worth online said its a little over 2 mill
Those "net worth" websites are mostly bullshit. Just vaguely educated guesses. I'm sure Nickatina has money tho. Unless he's blown it on drugs. He was doing 3-4 little tours a year and he draws crowds. Plus he has a huge catalog that he owns most of and people still buy his shit.

C-4

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
You don't need to be a major label rapper to be a success.

Baby Beesh is a success he got houses cars and lives off his rap and he's not major.

If you get a house off rap money that's a success IMO.

Bash was a major artist, he dropped like 3-4 major label albums, he was signed to Universal and to Sony. Has Platinum and Gold plaques.

He's not on a major now, but because of his success he's able to maintain his work ethic and do shows and touring. He's a draw, females love him.

Props: Snakegang