As if there needed to be another reason to like Drew Brees . . .

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Saints' quarterback Drew Brees weighs in on NFL's Supreme Court case
By Drew Brees
Sunday, January 10, 2010; B02
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/07/AR2010010702947_pf.html

As the starting quarterback for the New Orleans Saints, I am used to competing on the football field, not in a courtroom, and I rarely offer a public opinion on complex legal debates. But in a few days, the Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in American Needle v. NFL, a case that could have a profound impact not only on my sport but on all of American professional athletics. So even as the playoffs are beginning, I feel compelled to venture beyond the gridiron to share my thoughts on what is at stake.

The case involves a multimillion-dollar deal struck in 2000 between the National Football League and Reebok that grants Reebok the exclusive rights to make hats, sweatshirts and other gear with NFL team logos. What does that deal have to do with the ability of my teammates and me to perform our jobs and entertain football fans around the country? Potentially, quite a bit: The gains we fought for and won as players over the years could be lost, while the competition that runs through all aspects of the sport could be undermined.

American Needle is a small manufacturer of hats located in Buffalo Grove, Ill. As a result of the NFL's deal with Reebok, American Needle was excluded from the NFL-branded hat market, so it sued the league and Reebok. American Needle argued that the licensing deal violated antitrust laws because it restricted competition between businesses. The nation's antitrust laws constitute a fundamental part of our economic system and have protected consumers for more than 100 years, providing us with lower prices and fostering innovation.

The NFL originally won the case because the lower courts decided that, when it comes to marketing hats and gear, the 32 teams in the league act like one big company, a "single entity," and such an entity can't illegally conspire with itself to restrain trade. The NFL-Reebok deal is worth a lot of money, and fans pay for it: If you want to show support for your team by buying an official hat, it now costs $10 more than before the exclusive arrangement.

Amazingly, after the NFL won the case, it asked the Supreme Court to dramatically expand the ruling and determine that the teams act as a single entity not only for marketing hats and gear, but for pretty much everything the league does. It was an odd request -- as if I asked an official to review an 80-yard pass of mine that had already been ruled a touchdown. The notion that the teams function as a single entity is absurd; the 32 organizations composing the NFL and the business people who run them compete with unrelenting intensity for players, coaches and, most of all, the loyalty of fans.

I know of this competition because, along with hundreds of other professional football players, I live it every week of the season. I also know about it because in 2006, after five years with the San Diego Chargers, I became a free agent and witnessed firsthand the robust competition among teams for players. Thanks to free agency, I had the opportunity to sign a six-year contract with the New Orleans Saints, and for the past 3 1/2 years, my wife, Brittany, and I have been honored to live in and contribute to the amazingly resilient and welcoming community of New Orleans. We've been privileged to journey with our neighbors on the long road to recovery from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.

I could choose to sign a contract with the Saints because of a crucial player-led antitrust lawsuit in 1993 that secured players' rights to sell our services as free agents. Until that case, team owners had acted together to control players and keep salaries low, while the popularity of the game and teams' revenues grew exponentially. Today, if the Supreme Court agrees with the NFL's argument that the teams act as a single entity rather than as 32 separate, vigorously competitive and extremely profitable entities, the absence of antitrust scrutiny would enable the owners to exert total control over this multibillion-dollar business.

What might the owners do? They could agree to end or severely restrict free agency, continue to enter into exclusive agreements that will further raise prices on merchandise, lock coaches into salary scales that don't reward them when they're promoted and set higher ticket prices (including preventing teams from competing through ticket discounts). These and other concerns prompted the NFL Players Association -- along with the players associations of Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League -- to file an amicus brief with the Supreme Court last fall, arguing against the notion of the NFL as a single entity.

At the moment, the NFL Players Association and team owners are negotiating over a new collective bargaining agreement, and the threat of a lockout looms over the 2011 season. Historically, players have made significant gains, such as free agency, by challenging the NFL on antitrust grounds. If the Supreme Court rules that the league's 32 organizations constitute a single entity that is exempt from antitrust laws, players will lose this important leverage.

In this postseason, my fellow players and I are encouraged and humbled to see that professional football is thriving in our country, even during the most dire recession in decades. Fans continue to express their passion for their teams by spending their limited resources to show their support. Every week during the season, players compete fiercely on the gridiron, and throughout the year, team owners compete to sign the best players and attract fans' loyalty and dollars.

I hope that the justices of the Supreme Court recognize and ensure the continuance of the intense competition inherent in this game, and in the business behind the game. As readers of The Washington Post know well, NFL teams such as the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins are by no means a single entity -- just ask Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones.

Drew Brees, the starting quarterback for the New Orleans Saints, serves on the executive committee of the NFL Players Association.

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
i didnt read it cause im drunk, but he's my favourite QB in the league at the moment so yeah give me a summary of the article please

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
I completely agree with brees. the league should not be counted as a single entity, that's ridiculous. having competition will lead to better sports gear being made and at a cheaper price to the consumer.

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
brees said "hey its bullshit that EA sports is the only football game maker in town you charge to much for it and make an inferior product".

but exchange EA for reebok and NFL sunday ticket. greedy bastards

Dec 9, 2005
That was a great read/write up by Brees.

I agree 100%...and even though I would hate it...I think if it got to that point, I'd support them on a lockout next year.

Fight the power.

Apr 25, 2002
High Court Voices Resistance to NFL in Antitrust Case
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...5001154282656346.html?mod=WSJ_latestheadlines
WASHINGTON—Supreme Court justices suggested that an exclusive licensing deal between the National Football League and Reebok International may need further review in lower courts over antitrust issues.

Some justices, however, also suggested there may be times when NFL can act as a single entity without facing antitrust scrutiny.
The court heard arguments Wednesday in a case challenging a 10-year deal the league struck in 2001 with Reebok, a unit of Adidas AG, that gave the company an exclusive license to market NFL hats and apparel.

American Needle Inc., an Illinois-based headwear manufacturer that had made products bearing NFL logos since the 1950s, sued the NFL, its teams and Reebok, saying the deal was an illegal restraint of trade, in violation of federal antitrust law.

Two lower courts ruled the deal in-bounds, saying that when the league licensed its apparel it was operating as a single-entity business, not as 32 separate team businesses that are potential competitors.

The Supreme Court's decision could clarify how much latitude sports leagues have to engage in joint business activity on behalf of all of their teams.

Justice Stephen Breyer suggested during oral arguments Wednesday that American Needle should have a chance to argue that the deal was anticompetitive. Lower courts found that the NFL had proved its case without requiring a full trial.

"Why shouldn't they have their shot?" Justice Breyer asked.

The NFL's lawyer, Gregg Levy, said it could cost the league tens of millions of dollars to mount a full defense against the lawsuit.
The licensing deal should not face antitrust scrutiny, Mr. Levy said, because NFL teams aren't separate competitors in the licensing marketplace. The league's members, he said, are part of one collective licensing venture, NFL Properties, whose goal is to promote the NFL's product against competing entertainment products.

Mr. Levy's argument prompted objections from Justice Antonin Scalia, who said the purpose of the Reebok licensing deal wasn't to promote the league but "to make money."

"Don't tell me that, absent this agreement, there would not be an independent, individual incentive for each of the teams to sell as many of its own shirts and helmets as possible," Justice Scalia said.

While the NFL ran into resistance, some justices also criticized the breadth of arguments made by American Needle's attorney, Glen Nager, who argued that NFL should never be considered a single entity that is immune from antitrust scrutiny.
"The 32 teams of the NFL are separately owned profit-making enterprises," Mr. Nager said.

Justice Anthony Kennedy pushed Mr. Nager on how far his theory of the case might go, and said he was looking for a "zone" of NFL activity where it could be safe from antitrust scrutiny.

Justice Kennedy questioned whether under Mr. Nager's theory the league could be sued if it changed its rules to allow more protection for quarterbacks, a rule that might hurt some teams that prefer to run the ball instead of pass it.

Justice Samuel Alito raised similar concerns, while Justice John Paul Stevens said the fact that NFL teams equally shared merchandise revenue suggested that the deal was procompetitive because it helped all of the clubs.

A decision is expected by the end of June.