Are synth/workstations still necessary in todays world of software?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 31, 2006
MeloTrauma said:
I can freak software all day and make it sound how I want to, but would it still be beneficial to have a "bread & butter" machine, such as a Triton or Motif?
Yea but the thing is you dont gotta have those keyboards to get the exact sounds of those boards. for example I have the MOTIF TRITON and FANTOM in sound font format and use them in reason. I didnt have to go broke getting the keyboard but I got the sounds. Thing is most time thats justfor show for in studio looks. Like just blaze said in his video when showing his studio "I just got that for the customers to see". My take on it is stay software and use tools like reason or any program which supports soundfonts

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
INDUSTRYKITS said:
Yea but the thing is you dont gotta have those keyboards to get the exact sounds of those boards. for example I have the MOTIF TRITON and FANTOM in sound font format and use them in reason. I didnt have to go broke getting the keyboard but I got the sounds. Thing is most time thats justfor show for in studio looks. Like just blaze said in his video when showing his studio "I just got that for the customers to see". My take on it is stay software and use tools like reason or any program which supports soundfonts
your interpretation of what just blaze meant is different then mine,My question is how do those sound in comparison to hardware version,Im sure you can get some sounds to sound great,but some would have to be multi sampled(I think thats the word),cause imagine if you hear a sound on a module you want you record that sound in a sampler,and then you can stretch that sound up and down the keyboard in every octave,but as you may have noticed there are sounds that react different to velocity,and how long you hold the key.and depending on how and what was used to record the samples will have an effect on the sound.....Ive seen on E-Bay c.d with soundfonts....Im unfamiliar with this term.
Im not saying software isnt a good thang,but it aint cut and dry like you make it sound...Like reason Im sure its all on the user,but Ive heard a few beats people made and the sounds all sounded crystal clear,and thin..and there songs sounded similar...Its funny cause when they were first makin syhths they were trying to emulate certain sounds like lets just say a horn...they werent going for a exact representation,they wanted a synthesized sound,or else they would just record a horn player,at this time midi hadnt been invented

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I agree with 50 on this one. Also, when you purchase a workstation or module you are not just getting sounds. While you may have the stock sounds/presets, people who own the boards have the ability to turn tones ON or OFF. You may have a piano sampled from the motif, but do you have the ability to go in and layer a piano string patch under it and automate the panning of it and have it modulate over time? If 4 to 8 tones make up a PATCH, and you sample a sound that has 2 tones cut on and two cut off you are NOT getting the entire sound. Cut those other two tones on, tweek them, change them, modulate etc etc etc. This is the beauty of owning a workstation. Also, you have advantages like arps, remixing (Motif owners know what I am talking about) and the ability to control other hardware or software.

Feb 2, 2006
all i know is reason sounds coo but the sounds i hear coming out of the motif es and triton be sounding colorful as fuck. im going to get a motif soon.