Are synth/workstations still necessary in todays world of software?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
The reason I ask is because Im torn on buying a nice Triton, or Motif. But I got HELLA software and progs that Ive been using and utilizing to the best of my abilities. Would adding a keyboard workstation help me at all? I mean, I can freak software all day and make it sound how I want to, but would it still be beneficial to have a "bread & butter" machine, such as a Triton or Motif?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Purchase according to needs. You said, "I got HELLA software and progs that Ive been using and utilizing to the best of my abilities" and "I can freak software all day and make it sound how I want to" so why do you NEED a triton or motif if you are capable of using software to your max capabilities? What benefits do you believe the triton and motif offer that you will not find in software? You have "bread & butter" software, but personally I don't consider the keyboards you mentioned as "bread & butter" keyboards. Only you would know if the boards are beneficial to you or not.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I don't think so but thats a matter of opinion. Those big dollar boards are cool but alot of the time i find them a bitch to program unless they are nice and knob happy. There is a protocall out there MMC I think its called which enables you to control perameters of your keyboard on your computer via midi messages you can have the best of both worlds

Software is taking over though, look at E-Mu they pretty much changed their whole platform.

Feb 2, 2005
www.myspace.com
They are definitely not neccessary. Many people in the film music industry use 100% virtual studios.

Sampletank Xl 2.1, hypersonic 2, Plugsound box, Korg legacy digital edition ( with the m1 ), Colossus, Kontakt, etc are all replacements for workstations. And then theres the speciality ones for Choirs, Orchestra, Synths, etc

May 1, 2003
I think the creative flow is less interupted with any type of workstation or hardware sequencer. I don't find myself getting in "THE ZONE" as much when I sequence on the computer.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Doberman said:
I think the creative flow is less interupted with any type of workstation or hardware sequencer. I don't find myself getting in "THE ZONE" as much when I sequence on the computer.
A point was brought up
take two producers one with an mpc and synths,and one with a computer with reason
start with all equip off,and have them make an original beat.The one with the mpc will have been done with tmost the drums before the one with the computers program even starts,forget about sampling with an mpc that shit is lightning fast
But anyways its not a race,point is when I feel inspired I like to get busy,I dont like to use a mouse,and I never have to worry about software problems.
I would use the computer as a sound module though

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
If it works for you use it. If it doesn't work for you find something that does. Software will not eradicate hardware because you still have bands, composers etc who get down with hardware and don't use computers because of the "Feel". Hardware will not eradicate software because software is cheaper, is more flexible, portable etc.

Both have advantages and disadvantages and the best setup is one that utilizes both. So what if a beatmaker can crank out drums faster than a computer can turn on. SO? At the end of the day I'm concerned about if the drums slap or not, not how quick the guy can make the drum pattern, and if we are using time as a factor how long does it take to MULTITRACK a 16 part piece from a workstation or mpc? Compare that to the 10 seconds it will take to export each individual file within the software program.

Jun 27, 2005
I must say that since i've been using software, I've been wishing I never sold my asr 10 or my fantom. i liked software a lot at first, but i notice with software i get frustrated a lot and just end up turning my shit off before I ever finish anything. Plus its hard to find good sounds and vst's to use with software.

Apr 27, 2003
www.mymproductions.com
i use both... but i find i can do more with my computer based setup. And my workflow is very fast with my software that i use... its like everyones been sayin, its all about what your comfortable working with!!

""...if u can drop 40 points a night in chuck taylors, do it. u dont need nike shox."" - 9th wonder

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
1. GigaStudio. If you are looking for program or VST as a sampler/sound module this is the way to go.

2. Sample Tank 2 XL. QUALITY sounds, easy editing features, easy midi implementation etc.

GURU
BFD
RMX
DFH
Spectrasonic (STYLUS RMX, ATMOSPHERE, TRILOGY)
The Grand
REAKTOR
MachFive

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Vince V. said:
Not sure if anyones heard of these, but they hit for almost 5 g's !
http://www.vsl.co.at/en-us/65/71/214.vsl
the demos on the site are amazing.

Check em out, go to the demo section and click on the horizon link and it will show you some stuff that can be done with these
Yep, I've seen those before. I think it was B&H (or some company) that had the entire catalog.