Are people partying/drinking or just doing more than ever now?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2006
I've been thinking about this lately and I think it's true for the most part. I just can't prove it though. It's more of a theory I have.

It just seems to me that with the rise of social networking like Facebook in particular it makes it waaaay easier obviously for people to do stuff and connect in groups.

Before we were limited to phone calls, direct face to face invites or basically just word of mouth. Now most or almost all social contacts are laid out IN YOUR FACE for EVERYONE to see on the internet. Therefore then it's just a matter of picking and choosing.

I also feel that people are unknowingly competing with one another by taking pictures of the fun their having and "checking in" to places. By one posting pics of their visit to Vegas, it makes the next person more inclined to want to do similar and so on. It's a chain reaction of curiosity.

It's a phenomenon I can't quite put my finger on in terms of explaining, but I think I'm right to a certain extent. Great for business, but I'm not too sure yet if it's healthy for a society as whole. It's too early to tell.

What you guys think? Are we becoming more addicted to "Fun" or social interaction in general? Are we over complicating our lives in doing so?

Just a thought...

Apr 26, 2006
I'll wait for an educated response. Takes a higher level of THINKING to understand what I'm thinking.

Anti-social? Far from it. I love social interaction. There really isn't no meter in life to gauge one's level of social activity. It's all how society portrays it, right?

Apr 5, 2004
I've been thinking about this lately and I think it's true for the most part. I just can't prove it though. It's more of a theory I have.

It just seems to me that with the rise of social networking like Facebook in particular it makes it waaaay easier obviously for people to do stuff and connect in groups.

Before we were limited to phone calls, direct face to face invites or basically just word of mouth. Now most or almost all social contacts are laid out IN YOUR FACE for EVERYONE to see on the internet. Therefore then it's just a matter of picking and choosing.

I also feel that people are unknowingly competing with one another by taking pictures of the fun their having and "checking in" to places. By one posting pics of their visit to Vegas, it makes the next person more inclined to want to do similar and so on. It's a chain reaction of curiosity.

It's a phenomenon I can't quite put my finger on in terms of explaining, but I think I'm right to a certain extent. Great for business, but I'm not too sure yet if it's healthy for a society as whole. It's too early to tell.

What you guys think? Are we becoming more addicted to "Fun" or social interaction in general? Are we over complicating our lives in doing so?

Just a thought...
I think your on to something.. and i agree 100% wit ur post. I dnt think this social network shyt is a good thing tho. Its actualy quiet scary. I deleted my FB the other day. Or should i say "de-activated" since you cant ever really delete ur facebook account.

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
I think the social networking phenomenon is detrimental to society and the overall social development of younger generations. People don't use phones as much anymore, they text. And now with the insane amounts of available smart phones, people just jump on FB and Twitter on the go....even TEXTING isn't as necessary as it was a couple years ago.

About competition...I see that shit, too. "Look how happy I am with my family"..."Look where I am"...."See how many people I know?" I posted pics of my ankles when they were swollen and bruised after falling down the stairs, and every response to it was along the lines of "Yea, I BROKE my ankles and had pins put in" or "I did that too, but mine looked twice as bad." It's all a fuckin' game...and it's so bad that people tag each other in posts to talk shit to one another (or they just leave the names out and hope the other person sees it). Everybody wants to 1-up the next person.

At the end of the day, nobody has to do anything anymore. You don't have to look somebody in the eyes, hear their voice, or even ask them out face to face. Rejection isn't as harsh this way, and people don't really learn how to cope with the fact that somebody doesn't want them.

Apr 26, 2006
I think your on to something.. and i agree 100% wit ur post. I dnt think this social network shyt is a good thing tho. Its actualy quiet scary. I deleted my FB the other day. Or should i say "de-activated" since you cant ever really delete ur facebook account.
I feel you. I personally don't really have an opinion on it though. I guess I have mixed opinions on it right now. But I do notice that the fun or interaction that comes out of it, also comes more complications. It can be a headache. Heck people even get offended or question you if you don't reply. Kinda crazy once it reaches that level. I'm only trying to state what I'm observing. Whether it's good or bad, I'm not too sure yet.

Like AKAZIE said, maybe it's "anti-social" thinking. I'm just trying to dig deeper though. I just think there's some sort of social phenomenon going on right now.

Mar 14, 2006
east bay
Its real hard to pin-point this one.... there are a lot of different types of people out there but you can def. say that social networking is a big influence for some

Mar 14, 2006
east bay
Its real hard to pin-point this one.... there are a lot of different types of people out there but you can def. say that social networking is a big influence for some

MysticOracle

si vis pacem para bellum
May 4, 2006
707- VALLEJO
its definitely the most anti-social way of connecting with people...seems like everyone does it just for a status of how many people they can "friend" and your not cool if your spilling about some random quote of enlightenment or spewing all this disgusting positive talk about how wonderful and great everything...shit sounds so fake

MysticOracle

si vis pacem para bellum
May 4, 2006
707- VALLEJO
its definitely the most anti-social way of connecting with people...seems like everyone does it just for a status of how many people they can "friend" and your not cool if your spilling about some random quote of enlightenment or spewing all this disgusting positive talk about how wonderful and great everything...shit sounds so fake

Oct 16, 2002
Gilroy
Right on, bro.. I've thought about this myself but just couldn't put in words....it seems as if all these social networking sites are promoting the "keep up with the joneses" theory..a lot of it is fakeness...everybody is trying to be 'somebody' on the internet by advertising themselves in a certain manner..

For the most part, I look at it as lame, like 'look at me i'm doing it bigger than you'..i mean just look at Kavio ..taking pictures of a receipts of how much money he spent lol...way too many people are caught up in it...

Apr 26, 2006
I think the social networking phenomenon is detrimental to society and the overall social development of younger generations. People don't use phones as much anymore, they text. And now with the insane amounts of available smart phones, people just jump on FB and Twitter on the go....even TEXTING isn't as necessary as it was a couple years ago.

About competition...I see that shit, too. "Look how happy I am with my family"..."Look where I am"...."See how many people I know?" I posted pics of my ankles when they were swollen and bruised after falling down the stairs, and every response to it was along the lines of "Yea, I BROKE my ankles and had pins put in" or "I did that too, but mine looked twice as bad." It's all a fuckin' game...and it's so bad that people tag each other in posts to talk shit to one another (or they just leave the names out and hope the other person sees it). Everybody wants to 1-up the next person.

At the end of the day, nobody has to do anything anymore. You don't have to look somebody in the eyes, hear their voice, or even ask them out face to face. Rejection isn't as harsh this way, and people don't really learn how to cope with the fact that somebody doesn't want them.

Damn man, you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I'm getting at, couldn't have explained it any better myself.

I just think this whole social networking thing goes deeper than just seeing pictures and other happy things on the internet. Our mindsets are just completely changing in the way we communicate and YES our youth is at the brunt of it. It's not just our youth though anymore, the middle aged are in it as well to full extent now. It started with phones, texting, now it's on a completely different level.

That whole rejection thing is deep man, never thought about it like that.

Like I said, this shit goes really deep. Most don't care to question it though. I am. Like you said it's a game.

That whole competition shit is scary. However, I don't even think most people are aware of it though. Like I said, I think people are unknowingly competing with one another by posting pics and check ins. Everyone is becoming a 1UPPER in a way to show you do the same or more. It brings upon the curiously of wanting to do what others are doing. "Going to Vegas next weekend!" "Oh really! I want to go so bad!"

Apr 26, 2006
Right on, bro.. I've thought about this myself but just couldn't put in words....it seems as if all these social networking sites are promoting the "keep up with the joneses" theory..a lot of it is fakeness...everybody is trying to be 'somebody' on the internet by advertising themselves in a certain manner..

For the most part, I look at it as lame, like 'look at me i'm doing it bigger than you'..i mean just look at Kavio ..taking pictures of a receipts of how much money he spent lol...way too many people are caught up in it...
Yup, I feel you. It definitely promotes keeping up with the Joneses.

lol @ posting pics of receipts. I've seen that type of shit on numerous accounts. :/ Just goes to show the types of mentalities this shit is breeding.

Societal norms to the fullest extent! Everyone has a controlled mainstream mind these days.

Apr 26, 2006
I think a good way to test yourself is to question why your doing what your doing. So the next time you "check in" or post a picture of you participating in any activity, ask yourself why and is it necessary.

Is it truly necessary or beneficial to society to check into a grocery store? lol

Or if you post pics of alcoholic beverages, large plate of food or pics of being in a group setting, what are you trying to achieve? Is it self gratification if people "like' what your doing?

What's the point?