anybody ever work with known rappers?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
i agree get paid for what you believe you should get paid for of couse. dont be an idiot.

at the same time being selfish is not going to help you. sooner or later you are going to want some recognition for your craft, everyone does.. the main thing is if you are giving a beat away GET CREDIT FOR IT. thats what matters to me i aint trippin off the money music is a hobby anyway. i aint scott storch.

dude said he sold c-bo and them some beats and then his name doensn't even pop up right on the CD, thats bad. i mean supposedly your boy is a platinum producer well how come hes gettin did like that? ill bet that shit makes him hella mad.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
MALKI said:
dude said he sold c-bo and them some beats and then his name doensn't even pop up right on the CD, thats bad. i mean supposedly your boy is a platinum producer well how come hes gettin did like that? ill bet that shit makes him hella mad.
Like I said ther is always the possibility of honest mistakes.there is always the possibilities that things get overlooked..especially in the independent game.As far as a new beat on the new WEST SIDE RIDERS C.D. who knows maybe they lost his contact.
Me and RAW are two different mentalities.WHen money wasnt right or late and phone calls werent being returned my advice was show up at the doorstep..not no guns blazing but cut to the chase and get to the middle of things.Too much shit starts over mis understandings cause breakdowns in communications.
Lastly be responsible for your career.Some artists labels wont even mess with you if you dont have a lawyer or management.In his case he has neither and I even was gonna hook him up with payup management a few years back.I knew limited but knew mick benzo..but my other partner I ran with back east dealt with him and ellis pacheco.They managed Big pun..Fat joe...Ice T...pete rock and more(my boy was in charge of FJ560 the fat joe line he ran the east coast...and was connected with any and every artist trying to make a clothing line..jagged edge ruff ryders etc...) anyways Raw must have been nervous to send a beat c.d. wich i cant blame him.So its his responsibility to make sure all paper work is in order and to hold everyone he deals with accountable for that end....Him and Touch tone both had problems not getting paid for the gold single with I.M.X..Tone was still gonna work with marques houston but raw didnt wanna deal with chris lighty the manager..who was later accused by I think marques houston as being crooked..so at all levels of the game their can be conflicts...but when you have a lawyer and manager they handle all that shit.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
on another note the new REDMAN album features production from CHILL from C.M.W...he is in jail but last i heard this was before album release he hadnt gotten paid.....and thats DEF JAM...Im sure his back end money will be right though.I could go on and on about gossipy shit like this..but some gotta learn on there own

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
This one guy traded me beats for studio time. He gave up like 10 beats for time, but the problem was they were not beats HE made, but he did have teh rights to them. However, he led me to believe that they WERE his beats and that he made them, so I had to hold his external drive ransom (I'm notorious for doing that) and he had to cash me out lol! Since I still wanted to use the tracks,I had to call the company/entity/person he actually got the music from, and they laced my boots. It was actually good that it went down like that because I'm set up now to do business with them in the future on some other shit.

Jan 2, 2007
Sick Wid It said:
Do not trust anyone who tells you that you should work for free or agreeing to deals that your gut is telling you aren't right. If you're stupid enough to believe that bullshit then you are going to get ran through by every wannabe rapper with half a mouthpiece on him.

I will tell you this right now... For every deal you make where you 'trade' music for "exposure", a verse, or whatever other silly shit, you could have done a deal and put money in your pocket. You can create your own exposure without giving away freebies if you make an effort to get out and meet the right people.

Just remember, nobody is doing you a favor by rapping on your beats unless their last album was recent and went platinum. Don't get played.

I don't really agrre with your last statement.CERTAIN rappers are doing you a favor rapping on your beats IF you do release your own projects,if it didn't artist wouldn't pay for features on their album.Although, I do agree that they have to be a rellavant figure with some kind of buzz going.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
50cal said:
Like I said ther is always the possibility of honest mistakes.there is always the possibilities that things get overlooked..especially in the independent game.As far as a new beat on the new WEST SIDE RIDERS C.D. who knows maybe they lost his contact.
Me and RAW are two different mentalities.WHen money wasnt right or late and phone calls werent being returned my advice was show up at the doorstep..not no guns blazing but cut to the chase and get to the middle of things.Too much shit starts over mis understandings cause breakdowns in communications.
Lastly be responsible for your career.Some artists labels wont even mess with you if you dont have a lawyer or management.In his case he has neither and I even was gonna hook him up with payup management a few years back.I knew limited but knew mick benzo..but my other partner I ran with back east dealt with him and ellis pacheco.They managed Big pun..Fat joe...Ice T...pete rock and more(my boy was in charge of FJ560 the fat joe line he ran the east coast...and was connected with any and every artist trying to make a clothing line..jagged edge ruff ryders etc...) anyways Raw must have been nervous to send a beat c.d. wich i cant blame him.So its his responsibility to make sure all paper work is in order and to hold everyone he deals with accountable for that end....Him and Touch tone both had problems not getting paid for the gold single with I.M.X..Tone was still gonna work with marques houston but raw didnt wanna deal with chris lighty the manager..who was later accused by I think marques houston as being crooked..so at all levels of the game their can be conflicts...but when you have a lawyer and manager they handle all that shit.
start Keeping a record of all the contacts you have, what dealings you have with them, what is said in each conversation with them, and call them from time to time check in on them. things like this won't happen. do this for all the contacts you have this way you wont lose track of people and they wont lose track of you. or like you said get a manager who will do this for you. a lawyer wont hurt either lol.

Apr 25, 2002
ThaNarrator said:
I don't really agrre with your last statement.CERTAIN rappers are doing you a favor rapping on your beats IF you do release your own projects,if it didn't artist wouldn't pay for features on their album.Although, I do agree that they have to be a rellavant figure with some kind of buzz going.
Well like I said, "unless their last album was recent and went platinum". But Young HyphyHyphy from Frisco? Please.

99.99999% of the time a rapper isn't doing you any favors, you're doing them one because it's your music they want to record on. If people want to use your music then it has value. If it has value then you have a product that can make money as long as you believe in that value and don't let yourself get suckered. People who like to give their work away get treated in the same way a broad that likes to suck dick does.. Everyone uses them until they finally realize they're just getting played.

About "exposure"... What good is having a verse from a big name rapper if you don't have the resources to actually do anything with it? Well hey, at least you got a verse from that big name rapper I guess but I don't know anyone who can pay their house note with bragging rights.

Something else to consider is if you get in the habit of trading/giving beats away, nobody is going to want to pay you regardless of how they sound. Once your value and respect as a businessman is shot, so are you. People who are serious about their business don't want to fuck with people who aren't. Even when I was new to the industry I was still going into meetings with the mentality that I'm here to do real business, no fucking around and no dumb bullshit. They might have had more money and status at the time but we're sitting at this table as equals as far as I'm concerned. I have something you want, you have something I want, period. That and my music being what it was gained me the respect of people who could help establish my career and I started leaving those meetings with deals that made my peers wonder how the fuck I did it.

I guess I should point the importance of professionalism too. Don't go into meetings and the first thing you do is kick up your feet or start rolling a blunt. I think someone else mentioned in a previous post to save the partying for after the business is done.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
If people want to use your music then it has value. If it has value then you have a product that can make money as long as you believe in that value and don't let yourself get suckered.
This is applicable to ANY business where product is being sold. In addition, I suggest to not become emotionally attached to the product.

People who like to give their work away get treated in the same way a broad that likes to suck dick does.. Everyone uses them until they finally realize they're just getting played.
Some never realize it.

About "exposure"... What good is having a verse from a big name rapper if you don't have the resources to actually do anything with it? Well hey, at least you got a verse from that big name rapper I guess but I don't know anyone who can pay their house note with bragging rights.
Good point, but I disagree slightly. If you are a nobody and someone with some type of cred is getting down on your project, that pushes you a bit more out there than not having anyone. Why? Name face recognition and people are more prone to like or listen to someone they have already heard instead of listening to someone they have never heard. However, if you don't have the resources to properly market and promote the fact that the person IS on the album, it won't have the desired effect.

Now as far as trading beats is concerned don't get in the habit of doing it, but you should do it when if you have to. A situation I have done this in is usually when the rapper, who rapped about all this shit, had songs on the radio, maybe a vid here and there, actually had no money and lived a lie. But see, the general public doesn't see this side of rappers, so if it is a beat you had trouble selling in the past, and he wants it even though he is flat broke, trade that shit and move on.

Even when I was new to the industry I was still going into meetings with the mentality that I'm here to do real business, no fucking around and no dumb bullshit. They might have had more money and status at the time but we're sitting at this table as equals as far as I'm concerned. I have something you want, you have something I want, period.
Priceless.

I guess I should point the importance of professionalism too. Don't go into meetings and the first thing you do is kick up your feet or start rolling a blunt. I think someone else mentioned in a previous post to save the partying for after the business is done.
Fuck the partying altogether. Move on to the next business venture and get that bread. Keep getting the money and branching out into other business ventures. Partying, tricking your money with bitches, drugs, drank, etc will do two things:

1. Keep money OUT of your pockets.

2. Keep you blinded from what you are supposed to be doing (which actually causes #1 AGAIN.)