anybody ever work with known rappers?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 11, 2005
ive gotten a hold of some known rappers in norcal and they liked a couple of my beats and asked for them, as stupid as it may sound, what do you do when you your dealing with a known name? its just me, i dont got no one else, its just me doing business with the rapper or theyre "manager".....i dont know what to ask specifically, just like a walk thru of how to deal with known rappers, whats some good pointers or advice

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
1st meeting go there and be strictly business....dont blow trees with em.If they try and give you the...Slide me these beats and it will get you some exposure shit..tell em.."I aint even trippn on exposure..im cool..Also if they low ballin you tell em.."Ahhh its cool maybe ill make some beats in the future you may like..cause I already got someone who wanted them..if they ask who just say some baller from your neighborhood who trying to make investments with his cash..trying to get some projects out.....
Its sad but true..but rappers and there managers want something for nothing..and they gonna plot and scheme...Ive heard and witnessed the low level type rappers like C-BO..to what I heard about dealings with chris lighty who managed marques houston when he was in the group IMX...my boy did the beat for the gold single "STAY THE NIGHT"..and I dont know or didnt care to ask about specifics but he aint see no money..Ive witnessed the dealings with mc eiht etc etc....man they all plotting..and if they aint you should treat it like they are

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Throw together your hottest beats, and set up a listening meeting with them. Sit around a table, play your beats, and discuss. Let them know you appreciate their interest in your work and that there are other artists interested in your work also, but you put those other artists on hold so you could work out a deal with them. Let them know your prices and then offer them a deal, either cut a small percentage off the top, or give them a 2 for 1 on your beats, or whatever. They should be interested if they really are feeling your work and want to get their hands on it. If they never had any intention of paying you for your work in the first place, then you will know right after you set your prices. Tell them thanks for the time, shake hands, give them a card or your number if they ever DO want to do business, and bounce.

Just don't forget to take your cd out of the player before you leave.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Also be respectful but don't be a push over. Don't beat around the bush either. You know what your music is worth so, try to get the amount you feel it's worth man. Regardless if it's a known rapper or not. Like I said, offer them a deal you wouldn't offer an average joe.

Peace

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
if i was u and was just trying to make some money do it the way 50 cal said.

but maybe if u throw em something dont trip off the money, show em some love then in the futre they might look out for you. cuz when you on every "producer" wants u to rap on they beat. i say mayn just be coo wit people it aint always about the money in this game. people put on people they KNOW and they KNOW ARE COO. not mother fuckers who wanna just get some moeny off them and dip. so yeah u might get 1 beat for a rack or something but it might be better to just get your name out there and network wit people after u got a name people are going to come to YOU you wont have to go to them.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
sounds good but there aint no loyalty..they can get a six figure deal tomorrow and buy beats from someone else.Some rappers just use producers until that producer gets tired..but their is always one producer to step up and fill the void.....I mean dealings in the music game..especially rap..being cool gets ya knowhere..of course their are still good people out their...thats why i say be firm and fair and put your best interests first...a resume isnt really all that...its being at the right place at right time..

Mar 22, 2004
If I was you..

Don't let them know you're just starting out, tell them you been making tracks for a while now, that you fucked with alot of people they probably never heard of. Get a solid rate and package rates in your head before talking money. Start high. 9 out of 10 times they'll try and talk you down anyways. Offering exposure, credits. etc.. is cool, but if these (known) rappers are halfway serious, than I guarantee they're paying for tracks somewhere. If they're considering putting your shit on an album with other producers who they pay for , then don't think of yourself any less then them. Obviously you're hot enough for consideration.
if it all comes down to them not wanting to pay you, then the tracks probably aren't that great for them to want to break bread on. We all been through it, sometimes you take what you can get, other times you gotta check people right away or they'll take advantage of you forever.

A L S O _ NEVER GIVE THEM DATA BEFORE YOU GET PAID! AND DON'T LET FOOLS KEEP YOUR BEAT DISC UNLESS YOU TRUST THEM OR DON'T CARE ABOUT GETTING YOUR BEATS JACKED, OR USED ON MIXTAPES, ALBUMS, COMPS etc..

That kinda shit is gettin way too common right now, people don't give a fuck about anyone anymore. I got a track on C-Bo's and Messy Marvs last albums that I didn't even know about, came from beat discs that got passed around and looped. I'm out money and credits.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Vince V. said:
If I was you..

I got a track on C-Bo's and Messy Marvs last albums that I didn't even know about, came from beat discs that got passed around and looped. I'm out money and credits.
Its funny you say this cause c-bo called my boy raw before he pressed up the first thuglordz album and told him he used two songs he had already recorded the song 44mag glock and lets flip her.I wasnt mad but I already paid for lets flip her,but I told raw dont trip just make me another. and raw met up with T-po and got paid.a week or so later ..we went over there and him ,yuk cyco was there.Ya see when i was in iraq my boy deesta kept telling him send out a beat disc (raw dont do that..he didnt send his beats he thought were his hottest..he wont even put those on myspace..just beats he plays around with..) after awhile he sent one and that brings us to this.
So Bo and Yuk are listening to these beats raw brought and I mean their was some fire..Yuk was like..NICK we need some of that next level shit....and then they go ahead and pick some ordinairy shit...(raw even made one on the spot) well we left raw never got paid..so I bought the one he made on the spot I had it on my myspace for awhile..SPOONY LOC and YOUNG VO WATCHA RIDE FO..
http://www.zshare.net/audio/22035132314ec6/
so recently i see the west side riders c.d c-bo putting out with tracklist and he is listed as a producer..i called raw and he said he aint buy no beats...so Im wondering what beat it is..it might be something I already have wich i dont care...but just goes to show...always get your money upfront..

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Jack Tracks said:
dont under estimate the power of exposure.. alot cats wont fuck with u w/out a name... Do u really deserve that money your asking for with no name? Everybody makes hot beats, its all in who you know..
unless its like a jay z album..or 50cent someone platinum fuck exposure..you can expose your damn self...bottom line get a manager..not your homie..someone who specializes in producers and is around different labels and major artists everyday

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
^50 that sounds shady but i mean how was bo and them looking at it. it was some guy they dont really fuck wit like that like that tryng go get some money off them. they was like fuck that let take this guys beats he cant do shit. if your boy had just threw it to him like huh here maybe they wouldnt be doing shit like that. on the other hand some people you just cant trust. but i gaurentee they wouldnt forget about a slap that was GIVEN to them. people remember shit like that.

i mean how u think traxamillion got on? do you think he was like KEAK i need $1500 for this beat or you cant rap on it or some shit like that. hell no he just gave keak that shit like huh blood take this shit #2 on the cd or whatever. Keak called him up a week or 2 later like turn on the radio and his shit was playin. it been crackin since for dude. im sure he makin his money now.

Jan 2, 2007
Depending on who it is,I'd trade for a verse that you get full rights to.If your putting out your own projects that could benefit you more than a couple hundred $s or you could just sell the verse on another beat to someone else as a package deal that could triple your normal prices.If your into promotin live shows trade em for a 2 song set and make your money that way.My advice is be creative, see how much you can get outta them at the time they are trying to do it to you.

-Mouthpiece

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
MALKI said:
^50 that sounds shady but i mean how was bo and them looking at it. it was some guy they dont really fuck wit like that like that tryng go get some money off them. they was like fuck that let take this guys beats he cant do shit. if your boy had just threw it to him like huh here maybe they wouldnt be doing shit like that. on the other hand some people you just cant trust. but i gaurentee they wouldnt forget about a slap that was GIVEN to them. people remember shit like that.
Again if this world were a perfect place we would all do right by each other thats why i say cover your ass and be about business...get a manager.For the record I am speaking on how i feel not the views of raw.RAW and his boy touch tone have an impressive resume..wich means shit.A song on the platinum album flipmode squad.A gold single they produced..many movies and artists.Who knows maybe T-Po and Bo lost his #.They bought 2beats 2 was for the thuglords and then they later paid for the beat used on lil cycos album
http://www.zshare.net/audio/2206719388be2d/
Now their is a beat on the new album that aint been paid for...not to say it was done with bad intent.However most these independent artists even though they sold many albums..they arent really qualified to run companies...On the new west side riders album its the last song and where it says producer it just says raw beats.....thats his ascap..his name is raw steel..shit even MC eiht on the cover had shit that said produced by NICK..or NICK and tone...they dont care about details..just whats in front of them....

Apr 25, 2002
Do not trust anyone who tells you that you should work for free or agreeing to deals that your gut is telling you aren't right. If you're stupid enough to believe that bullshit then you are going to get ran through by every wannabe rapper with half a mouthpiece on him.

I will tell you this right now... For every deal you make where you 'trade' music for "exposure", a verse, or whatever other silly shit, you could have done a deal and put money in your pocket. You can create your own exposure without giving away freebies if you make an effort to get out and meet the right people.

Just remember, nobody is doing you a favor by rapping on your beats unless their last album was recent and went platinum. Don't get played.

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
What funny is i heard some beats raw has that just blew me away..all kinds samples ..funk..whatever.Shit Battlecat gave it up to him...he aint new to this was mc rens dj toured with quik shit like that.
His attitude is he makes beats cause he likes doing them, been making beats about 15 years or so.He would rather no one buy a beat then to sell his beats for small change..however he does work some good deals.He says if you aint got no money we aint got nothing to talk about as far as music..He also states..you aint gotta buy beats from me..there are lots of tight producers out there.Its his experience that has made him this way..i used to think just like most yall'get a foot in the door..be cool...slide this beat...it sounds good but not most effective especially in this day...maybe 10 years ago..

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Sick Wid It said:
Do not trust anyone who tells you that you should work for free or agreeing to deals that your gut is telling you aren't right. If you're stupid enough to believe that bullshit then you are going to get ran through by every wannabe rapper with half a mouthpiece on him.

I will tell you this right now... For every deal you make where you 'trade' music for "exposure", a verse, or whatever other silly shit, you could have done a deal and put money in your pocket. You can create your own exposure without giving away freebies if you make an effort to get out and meet the right people.

Just remember, nobody is doing you a favor by rapping on your beats unless their last album was recent and went platinum. Don't get played.
you summed up everything i was trying to say in a whole lot less space..nice job....its all true..

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
50cal said:
What funny is i heard some beats raw has that just blew me away..all kinds samples ..funk..whatever.Shit Battlecat gave it up to him...he aint new to this was mc rens dj toured with quik shit like that.
His attitude is he makes beats cause he likes doing them, been making beats about 15 years or so.He would rather no one buy a beat then to sell his beats for small change..however he does work some good deals.He says if you aint got no money we aint got nothing to talk about as far as music..He also states..you aint gotta buy beats from me..there are lots of tight producers out there.Its his experience that has made him this way..i used to think just like most yall'get a foot in the door..be cool...slide this beat...it sounds good but not most effective especially in this day...maybe 10 years ago..
Thats pretty much how I work.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Sick Wid It said:

Thats pretty much how I work also.