**2nd Annual Official '09 SF GIants reg. season Thread**

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
Willingham isn't getting traded:

I do believe the Giants made a push for Nick Johnson or Josh Willingham from Washington, but I heard that the Nationals decided they wanted to hold on to Willingham and Adam Dunn because, really, the only solid thing they have moving forward is their middle-order trio of Ryan Zimmerman, Dunn and Willingham. The source also said the Nats were demanding a ton for Johnson, which surprised the source given that the first baseman is a pending free agent.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
Sabean not confident about more deals, says Frandsen is staying put

I just got off the phone with general manager Brian Sabean after I asked him for a brief update.

While the Giants might want to trade for a starter, Sabean does not seem optimistic about a deal.

"The list of potential names isn't very enticing against what the cost of doing business is," Sabean said. "Unless something happens that I don't anticipate, I don't see that being an option."

Sabean also downplayed the possible acquisition of another bat, saying, "The people we are interested in are not available as we speak."

I'm assuming that includes Washington outfielder Josh Willingham, who is not available for reasons I described in my last post.

Given that the deadline is less than 24 hours away, it's less likely they'll become available.

I asked Sabean if he might try to trade unhappy Triple-A shortstop Kevin Frandsen, who has been promoted and demoted three times this season. Sabean said no, suggesting they need him in light of Emmanuel Burriss' season-ending injury and still see him as one who can help the Giants.

But Sabean did not sound pleased with Frandsen's attitude in light of the infielder's struggles in the at-bats he had here.

"Frandsen is on the roster and has value as a utility man," Sabean said. "He should mind his business in Triple-A and see what happens."

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
agree with sabean, frandsen needs to shut up or put up. we've given him chances every year, do somethin then loser.
He hasn't gotten a chance to play consistently since Sept. 2007 (he hit over .300 that month). He missed all of 2008 with a ruptured Achilles tendon, did well in the AFL and spring training, but the brass still chose Burriss who had never played above A-ball until he got called up last season. I don't call 39 AB's this season (during 3 different call-ups) being given a chance.

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
He hasn't gotten a chance to play consistently since Sept. 2007 (he hit over .300 that month). He missed all of 2008 with a ruptured Achilles tendon, did well in the AFL and spring training, but the brass still chose Burriss who had never played above A-ball until he got called up last season. I don't call 39 AB's this season (during 3 different call-ups) being given a chance.
maybe not since 07 but he had plenty in 07 and 06

2006 he played in 41 games 93 ab's = .215 avg
2007 he played in 109 games 264 ab's = .269 avg

he's batting .128 in those 39 ab's this year

its not that i'm opposed to giving him more chances, i genuinely think he could be decent but it is what it is. thats life in the minors. he has no right to pop off.

the other thing neither of us have mentioned yet is his questionable fielding. he's not as bad as fred lewis but he hasnt showed that confidence to handle a clutch situation.

he has 2 errors this year in 10 starts.

so of course they are gonna give manny another chance, he batted 283 last year while frandsen was injured. manny is a lot faster and can steal bases too.

anyways.... lol... we got sanchez so its all gravity now at 2nd. SS is what we need now, and another OF

VanD

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2004
i'm fine with uribe as backup, hes a decent utility guy... renteria was a super fail. but its only 1 more year after this year so we still need a long term answer. i'd like to say we could trade him but with that contract it wont happen unless we eat some salary....

as i'm typing i see the lineup and the same damn shit. fuck molasses at 4!!!!