2010 Oakland Athletics Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
Cahill is sick, 10 k's! What a great time to come off a bad slump, the Pirates roll into town. I was working on friday and checking my phone and it was like 4-4 and i checked a few hours later and it was 14-4. Daric Barton also had a great game tonite, 3 doubles, 4 rbi's.

Athletics acquired LHP Fabian Williamson from the Red Sox for outfielder-infielder Eric Patterson.
Williamson, 21, has posted a 4-3 record, 3.72 ERA and a 1.41 WHIP this season in 14 starts for Single-A Salem. The Red Sox acquired him in the 2009 offseason for David Aardsma, who has turned his career around as the Mariners' closer. Williamson is young, but very far from the big leagues.

Good cuz Patterson sucked. Corey, his older brother who plays for the Orioles, sucks also.

A's general manager Billy Beane said Thursday that skipper Bob Geren is not in danger of his losing his job at the moment.
The A's are 34-40 on the season -- 10.5 games back in the American League West -- but Beane isn't going to overreact like the folks in south Florida did on Tuesday by firing Fredi Gonzalez. "Injuries catch up at some point," Beane said. "We haven’t played poorly; just not good enough to win." Geren was inked to a one-year extension this spring and has an option for 2011.

Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Athletics are continuing to talk to Kurt Suzuki's agent Dan Horwits about a multi-year deal.
There's nothing imminent, but A's general manager Billy Beane is optimistic about getting something done at some point. Suzuki, 26, is eligible for arbitration for the first time after the 2010 season.

they need to do this. Suzuki is dope.

Athletics manager Bob Geren said that Brett Anderson (elbow) could return from the disabled list shortly after the All-Star break.
Anderson hasn't even thrown off a mound yet, so keep your expectations in check. The young left-hander is currently completing the first week of a rehab program that is expected to last 30-35 days. He is currently throwing from a distance of 160 feet off flat ground.

Jan 18, 2006
^^^ damn been that long???? Lets hope they hold on to the lead, your jumping the gun a bit lol. The A's been on a roll lately, hopefully they can keep it up the rest of the season.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Big game today with the Rangers. If they can take 2 of 3 from Texas, they go into a series with Seattle, Minnesota, and Toronto. The Rangers have NY, Boston, and Tampa Bay coming up. If the A's can take the Seattle series and a couple games from Minnesota and the Rays, and the Rangers drop a series to NY or TB, and lose one or two to Boston, Oakland could be flirting with 1st place, and this late in the season, thats a big step for a team pegged to finish last in the division at the begining of the season.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
yup, good game. Good momentum going into Seattle. Hopefully oakland can pick up a few, and Texas can drop a few, catch up a couple games before their next series in a couple weeks. I dont have delusions of playoffs, the odds are too far out there, but its fun watching your team play well and defy expectations.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
sucks that daric barton got hurt but im stoked to see how Chris Carter does.

Chris Carter and Jeff Larish will be promoted from Triple-A Sacramento to join the A's on Monday, according to a CSNBayArea.com report.
Carter is the big story. Acquired from Arizona in the original Dan Haren trade, he is batting .262 with 27 home runs and 89 RBI in Triple-A this season (he hit .329/.422/.570 with 28 homers and 115 RBI between Double-A Midland and Sacramento last season). Carter will likely replace the injured Daric Barton at first base for the time being in Oakland. He was named the organization's top prospect by Baseball America over the winter. Larish, meanwhile, was claimed off waivers by the A's from the TIgers in late July and is nothing more than bench depth.

Eric Chavez (neck) is contemplating retirement.
But you already knew this. He's on the 60-day disabled list and hasn't resumed his rehab from a neck strain. "I've pondered retirement," Chavez said. "I'd lie if I said I didn't. The truth of the matter is that I don't know what I'm going to do." Retirement is likely in his immediate future.

Matt Watson was taken to a hospital Sunday after complaining of pain in his side and back.
An MRI will confirm that he is suffering from kidney stones. Watson is 6-for-30 (.200) in 12 games for the A's this year. He's day-to-day.

Andrew Bailey (ribcage) played catch for a second time on Sunday.
Unfortunately, Bailey does not yet have a timetable for his return and will need at least another week on the disabled list. Bailey was told by doctors that most players need 4-6 weeks to return from a strained intercostal muscle, and Bailey has missed just 2 1/2 weeks to this point. Michael Wuertz and Craig Breslow will keep getting save chances while Bailey is out.

Josh Outman (elbow) still hopes to be a contributor for the A's in September.
Outman has been throwing at a distance of 140 feet and will report to the A's minor league complex in Phoenix on Monday. The left-hander is coming back from Tommy John surgery and was shut down in June after he experienced some soreness.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Im excited to see Carter come up, and the when Taylor is read they have potential to be a power tandum the a's havent had in a long time...Hopefully they dont rush either of them, or burn them out and they have time to develop. If they had that potential power, on top of their defense, baserunning, that scrapiness to stay in games theyll be a real exciting team in the next couple seasons, which is bad for what is it, $53 million payroll? Its definately exciteing though.

Jan 18, 2006
Good to see the A's taking it to the Rangers again and bout to win another series against them. Probably not gonna catch up in the division but good to see the A's still got fight in them

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
^^^Yup. Its not outside of the realm of possibility to catch up, but it isnt likely. Good season either way though. Best pitching staff in the AL though, and thats saying something, if they had any offensive firepower it would have been a real competitive playoff run. Kinda makes you think what would have happened if they came up with Beltre, or another hitter in the offseason last year.