Niner News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Jed York Named Team President

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=5053
JED YORK NAMED 49ERS TEAM PRESIDENT, JOHN AND DENISE DEBARTOLO YORK ASSUME ROLE OF CO-CHAIRMEN

John and Denise DeBartolo York announced Sunday that Jed York has been named Team President. In his role, York will oversee the team’s day to day operations in all aspects of the organization. His direct reports will be General Manager Scot McCloughan, COO Andy Dolich, and CFO Larry MacNeil.

“We are excited about the future of the 49ers in Jed’s hands” said John York. Previously, Jed York held the position of Vice President of Strategic Planning where he was responsible for the integration of brand strategies and projects related to the long-term operational and financial development of the organization. York joined the organization in 2005, where he held the position of Special Projects Manager and later served as Director of Strategic Planning. Jed’s prior positions with the 49ers were essential to his learning process as to how a major sports franchise functions in the NFL. “It was important that Jed learn every aspect of the 49ers and grow into this leadership role” said Denise.

Team owners John and Denise DeBartolo York will assume the roles of Co-Chairmen of the San Francisco 49ers. They will continue to provide the necessary advice, council, and resources for the 49ers to win a Super Bowl. John and Denise will be responsible for interfacing with the Commissioner, top NFL officials, and other team owners on NFL matters. John York is the Chairman of the International Committee and a member of both the Business Ventures Committee and the Audit Committee. Denise DeBartolo York is a member of the Hall of Fame Committee.

John and Denise DeBartolo York will continue overseeing the award winning San Francisco 49ers Foundation. Through their leadership, the 49ers Foundation has donated more than $7 million over the last six years to non-profits throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.

Jed York’s roots with the 49ers run deep. He is the oldest child of John and Denise DeBartolo York, the owners of the team. York’s uncle and godfather, Eddie DeBartolo Jr., was the former owner of the 49ers. York’s grandfather Edward DeBartolo Sr. bought the team in 1977. A 49ers fan since birth, Jed attended his first Niners game in 1984. His goal has always been to carry on his family’s tradition of success and excellence.

York began his career as a financial analyst at Guggenheim Partners, a diversified financial services firm in New York. He follows in the footsteps of his parents with respect of philanthropic interests. In June of 2007, York was elected to the Board of Directors for the Bayview Hunter’s Point YMCA, which has been a major beneficiary of the 49ers Foundation.
--SF--

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Gore Makes Franchise History

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=5057

Running back Frank Gore returned to action after missing two games with an ankle injury and became the first player in franchise history to notch the 1,000-yard rushing mark for three consecutive seasons.

“I’m happy I got the opportunity to do it today,” said Gore. “My o-line, they wanted it and also my other teammates wanted to see me get it. There’s not a running back in the history of the franchise to do it with all the great players here – I’m just happy to do it."

Gore entered the game only 22 yards shy of the mark and hit it early in the second quarter with a 3-yard run to start the 49ers third offensive drive of the game. By game’s end, his season total was 1,036 rushing yards.

“I have to thank God. I know if I was healthy enough to play in the last two games, I’d be well over it, but it didn’t happen,” he said. “I’m happy he gave me the opportunity to come out here today and do it in front of my boy Clinton Portis. Now I have a record in this franchise’s history and that’s a great thing.”

Gore helped start off a 5-play scoring drive that featured all run plays at the start of the third quarter with back to back runs of 8 and 11 yards.

“Although we were down, we came back in the second half and put up points on a good team,” said Gore. “Washington is a good football team. They’re supposed to be in one of toughest conferences and one of the top-dogs.”

Gore’s final carry of the game was a 10-yard gain as he finished out the game with 11 carries for 58 yards.

“It’s wonderful, especially with the number of pass plays that we ran this year,” said guard David Baas. “Being able to still get 1,000 yards, I think it’s a big milestone for him and for us. It says something about the offensive line and about Frank too. I’m sure he’s hurting and I know he wanted to come back and get those yards to get over 1,000 – so, hats off to him.”

Although Gore was outdone by his fellow Miami back in Portis, who finished with 80 rushing yards, Gore had a much higher average yards per carry - 5.3 in comparison to Portis’ 2.8 average.

Plus, with a solid nine-yard carry day for 44 yards by backup DeShaun Foster, the 49ers ground game come out on top in terms of the running backs as Portis and Ladell Botts combined for 86 rushing yards in comparison to 104 rushing yards for Gore, Foster and Michael Robinson.
Foster also scored a 1-yard touchdown run by following a block by rookie guard Chilo Rachal, who he thanked by allowing him to handle the celebratory spike.

“I knew I had to get in the hole and I had to make a hole for the running back,” said Rachal. “When I pulled around, the left side did a good job of opening the hole, I pulled in and knocked him in and we scored. And he gave me the ball to spike it. It was fun that he shared it with me.”

More Spikes

Rachal wasn’t the only offensive line partaking in the spiking fun.

After quarterback Shaun Hill scored on a 2-yard touchdown scramble, Hill tossed the ball to David Baas, per his tradition with the linemen.

“I was really inspired by everybody’s mustaches, so when Shaun threw me the ball I had to spike it as hard as I could in honor of mustache magic,” said Baas.

Turnovers

Each team turned the ball over once, but the 49ers came out on top in the point total off of turnovers.

The 49ers committed an offensive turnover in the second quarter when Shaun Hill was picked off by Carlos Rogers on a throw he intended for Josh Morgan. The Redskins got a field goal out of it.

The 49ers defense evened the turnover battle when Aubrayo Franklin stripped the ball out from Clinton Portis. Take Spikes recovered the loose ball at the Redskins 38-yardline. Five plays later, the 49ers scored on a 1-yard touchdown run by Foster.

Linebacker Manny Lawson nearly had an interception in the second quarter on a pass play intended for Santana Moss, but he was at least able to prevent the touchdown by using his leaping ability to get his hands on the ball.

Did You Know?

The 49ers won their first and last game of the 2008 season on Joe Nedney field goals. Nedney hit a game-winning field goal in overtime in Seattle to secure the first win of the year, before hitting a 38-yard kick to win Sunday’s game against the Redskins.

It also marked the third season finale in the last four years that Nedney has kicked a game-winning field goal to end the game. Nedney previously kicked a 33-yarder to best Houston in overtime in the 2005 finale and a 36-yarder at Denver, also in overtime, in the final game of 2006.

Big Time Plays

Tight end Billy Bajema fielded the opening kickoff for a 13-yard return and then caught only his second pass of the year on a 29-yard pass play to assist the 49ers in their opening drive scoring efforts.

Wide receivers Josh Morgan and Bryant Johnson and running back Michael Robinson also had pass receptions of 20 yards or more. Morgan caught a 26-yarder over the middle, while Robinson and Johnson enjoyed long receptions of 24 yards.

Defensive end Justin Smith notched the 49ers only sack. He also had 5 tackles including two stops for losses, a quarterback hurry and a pass defensed. One of his tackles for a loss included a Portis stuff in the backfield on a 3rd and 2 play.

Cornerback Nate Clements led the defense with 7 tackles, including a tackle for a loss.

3rd and 1

The 49ers struggled early on with 3rd and 1 plays.

On their first short yardage situation, they attempted a pass play to WR Isaac Bruce. Bruce made a diving catch, but he lost a yard on the play.

Facing another 3rd and 1 in the third quarter, Gore stayed low and tried to crawl for a first down, but he got a poor spot and the 49ers had to punt.

Eventually, Michael Robinson converted a critical 3rd and 1 at the Redskins 11-yardline to keep alive the 49ers go-ahead scoring drive.

Robinson proved to be money again on the 49ers final drive of the game with a 19-yard catch on another 3rd and 1 play.

Another Record

P Andy Lee finished the season with a 47.8-yard average to set a 49ers record. The old record was set by Lee last year when he finished with a 47.3-yard average.

Ouch

he Redskins ate up over nine minutes off the clock in the second quarter with a 16-play scoring drive.

Safeties Michael Lewis and Mark Roman both thought they had sacks on Jason Campbell when they came free on safety blitzes, but not so. Lewis’ sack was wiped out due to a holding penalty on Takeo Spikes. Roman suffered a stinger as Campbell managed to work his way out of the sack.

Cornerback Walt Harris drilled Santana Moss to force a key incompletion that would have earned a first down in 49ers territory, early in the fourth quarter. Harris had three passes defensed in the game.

No Love from the Refs

Linebacker Takeo Spikes argued vehemently for an offensive pass interference call on Chris Cooley, after the tight end took Spikes to the ground for a key 3rd down conversion.

“I felt like they were giving Cooley the ‘Jordan rules, ’ which means you couldn’t touch him,” said Spikes. “If you get in front of him and you’re not aggressive enough than he pushes you off and he did that to me. But we won the game. If we would not have won the game, then I would really be hot right now.”

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Singletary Signs Four-Year Contract

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=5055

The 49ers excitement over finishing out the season with 27-24 win over the Redskins that went down to the wire picked up a notch when 49ers newly announced team president Jed York and general manager Scot McCloughan informed the locker room that they had decided to keep Mike Singletary as the team’s head coach.

“A lot of guys are excited. We know he’s the right guy. There was a lot of excitement in the locker room,” explained linebacker Patrick Willis of the enormous uproar that followed the announcement. We enjoy playing for Coach Singletary. He brings the best out of us as we bring out the best in him. It’s a great chemistry. We know what to expect and we believe in him."

The determined play of the team in recent weeks served as an indicator that Singletary had the support of his players, but the immediate move by the 49ers decision makers also demonstrated their unequivocal backing of Singletary.

“Mike Singletary came in, was asked to do a very difficult task, stepped up, and I think people have seen in the past with the winning percentages with an interim head coach, there’s not a lot of success that has taken place. He did an excellent job of keeping the players together right from the get go,” said McCloughan. “He showed that there was a change, but he was able to adjust to the change, step right in and not really skip a beat. The players around him stepped up, the coaches around him stepped up as well and we’re happy to see the situation the way it is. Again, we wish we were still playing with the record we are sitting at. We ended strong but it’s not close to where we need to get to. With Coach Singletary we feel that’s not going to be an issue.”

As an “interim head coach,” Singletary helped get the 49ers back on track from a poor 2-5 start to a 7-9 finish, including victories in four out of the last five final contests.

“I don’t think we could have written up a script any better than how it happened,” said newly named Team President Jed York. “I think when we started this nine weeks ago with Coach Singletary and you asked a question about what we were lacking, and I think I said intensity at that point, and I think you saw that. You’ve seen that throughout the season. You saw it today where we were up, we were down and we came back and we fought through adversity, and that is what Coach Singletary has really done for us. I said to the players earlier today this is the last time our season ends in December.”

Moments after signing a four-year contract, Singletary addressed the media, expressing similar sentiments as York.

“I told our players the other day, ‘Why did I give you Christmas day off? Because you won’t have it for a while. Enjoy it. Enjoy it.’”

Singletary said the first step for next year is getting everyone on the same page.

“The first paragraph on that page is: what do we do to have this team be in the playoffs? Once we’re in the playoffs, anything is possible,” stated Singletary.

Between now and the start of the off-season program, Singletary will have some important decisions to make, starting with his coaching staff.

Asked specifically about offensive coordinator Mike Martz, Singletary admitted that he wasn’t 100 percent certain whether or not Martz would be part of the team’s future.

“Right now, Scot and I are going to sit down and look at our offense as a whole, and make the best decisions for our team going forward. And what that is, you’ll know soon.”

Although he’ll discuss his staff with McCloughan, Singletary does have autonomy when it comes to selecting his assistants.

Another question to be resolved will be at quarterback. Although quarterback Shaun Hill has made a strong case to remain at the helm of the offense after finishing out the year with a 5-3 record as the starter, Singletary wasn’t quite ready to endorse him.

“Don’t know that yet,” answered Singletary.

Hill meanwhile had no hesitation about Singletary being the right guy.

“It is great,” said Hill. “Everybody is excited about that. We feel like we are really close. We are very happy about it.”

Wide receiver Bryant Johnson, who signed a one-year deal with the 49ers, also seems to want to be part of things going forward.

“We’re definitely excited right now,” said Johnson. “Under his leadership as you could see with what we were able to do in the second half of the season, we just look forward to him gathering us and leading us going forward.”

Of course, Singletary joked that the players might not stay that way.

“I think all of the guys who were happy today are going to regret very soon,” said Singletary, implying that the hard work has only just begun. “I love those guys, I really do. I know that they know that, and it’s just a matter of us coming together and working. They know what the prerequisites are and it’s just work. We’ve got a lot of work to do. “

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
2009 Opponents Determined

The complete list of 2009 Opponents have been determined by the NFL.

The 49ers list of opponents is as follows:

Home: Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Atlanta Falcons, Jacksonville Jaguards, Tennessee Titans

Away: Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
he better remember this shit and make sure he does everything he can to put us in the position to make the playoffs next year
i found this ad

It’s official — Mike Singletary is the new coach of the San Francisco 49ers.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/28/four-years-10-million-for-singletary/
Per Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat, Singletary has signed a four-year, $10 million contract.

Singletary also reportedly has the contractual right to hire and fire assistant coaches. It’s unknown at this point whether he’ll be firing offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

Jay Glazer of FOX reported earlier in the day that Singletary would be willing to bring Martz back, but that the front office wants to get rid of him.

Co-owner Jed York announced the decision to keep Singletary to the team after Sunday’s win over the Redskins. York also proclaimed, “This is the last time our season ends in December.”

Technically, the Niners need only to get to the playoffs in 2009 and perhaps 2010 in order for that statement to be accurate, since an expansion of the regular season undoubtedly will push the final week of the regular season into January.

But York seemed to be making a blanket vow that the 49ers will become a perennial playoff team. It would be quite a feat, given that the Niners haven’t been to the postseason since 2002.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
Martz looking for work again

San Francisco brought back coach Mike Singletary, but it decided Tuesday not to retain offensive coordinator Mike Martz, a league source said.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/30/martz-looking-for-work-again/
The two sides — the 49ers and Martz — met Tuesday morning to finalize the arrangement that many expected. They still were finalizing it Tuesday afternoon as another league source said it was “99.9 percent” certain that Martz would be gone. It’s not that Singletary didn’t like Martz; he did. Others within the organization did not want Martz to coach San Francisco’s offense moving forward.

Now Martz is on the street again, for the second straight year. Last year, he and Detroit parted ways, and now he and San Francisco have done the same.

I WANTED HIM TO STAY AROUND AT LEASE ANOTHER YEAR! he had the offense moving forward!

Rich

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
It seems like the 9ers play the eagles every season now.

Wow so Martz is 99% officially gone. So that makes it what, 6 offensive coordinators in 6 years?

Mar 1, 2006
www.sendearnings.com
He kept us in the game but he dont run the ball worth shit, yea his offense is entertaining but if we don't have the QB for this offensive scheme it is going to fuck us over in the long run. I'm sure Martz and Singletary could of made it work because they were at the end but there is a chance they were probably gonna but heads and the back office don't want to take that risk.

Apr 5, 2005
Martz gotta go. Singetary wants this to be a run first team similar to the Titans and Panthers offense. Once we establish a dominanting running game to complment our defense we'll be fine. I think clock manangement and defense is the way to go.

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
lol i was bout to say something along the lines of that too

Ken Zampese (Good with QBs, experience with Martz's system)
Scott Linehan (successful O-coordinator before, ties to Alex Smith)
Bill Calahan (successful O-coordinator and O-line coach)
Rob Chudzinski (good with TEs, might be able to take VD to the next level)
Bill Musgrave (Good with QBs, not so good so far as OC)
Norm Chow (Great college OC for some time)
Norv Turner (If Fired)

^ stole this from another place, but thats who could come in and be OC

Mar 26, 2006
I JUST TRIPP'D OFF THAT WEAK ASS LOSS TO ARIZONA KEEP US OUTTA THE PLAYOFFS, OUR SCHEDULE LOOKS GOOD NEXT YEAR

yeah man that fucked everything, biggest anti climax... but also there was alot of confusion... nevermind, next year Sing will have em beasting

looking at that scheduele, I say there is no reason why we cant go 12-4 if they make the right moves from now till next season

:D