What is it about "hyphy" that appeals to the mainstream audience????

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 8, 2003
real question expecting some honest opinions.... if all you can reply with is "cuz its tite" then that means u cant think of any...but why does hyphy appeal to mainstream??

...could it be because its geared more to clubs??
..cuz its the one of the few NON-GANG affiliated rap genre in cali???
...because its similar to crunk??

discuss...

Jun 4, 2004
i personally think is because how its more like crunk (from what you hear people say, i dont say that), people out there compared hyphy to crunk so much they think its the same and crunk has been hot, so crunk helped hyphy get noticed with lil jon backin it up, thats what i think

Mar 5, 2006
nah, i think its just refreshing i think when folks think of cali they think laguna beach or LA and they forgot about the game around here. Shit we got so much game up here that people are hungry for it. they wanna see whats new so they trying to soak up game. We had our shine right, then through cats like 40 and pac and short we fed the nation game for the next 10 years. now the game is dead again, all repetitive so now they comin back for our new shit cuz aint no place like the BAY, ESO on mine hahah

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
hyphy is about "having fun" to the mainstream.....

its got SO much marketing ability so rich white folks can make more money....its just the vibe that it has.....the feel good vibe...

Jan 26, 2006
^^^^ Seriously, Hyphy is gettin some radio/video play, but until people start buying albums with hyphy tracks on it it hasn't appealed toi the mainstream (suburbs). I personaly like the way that Quinn, Forty, and Bailly all had a hyphy trachk as a single, but then the rest of the albums had a mix of mob and serious shit.

...And if you have ever checked out another Board other than Siccness, you know that 75% of the midwest and East HATE Hyphy music and clown the Bay contantly because of it. And 99% of the South calls it a rip-off of crunk. DOn't believe me? Try SOHH or Allhiphop and read a thread about hyphy. It might open up your eyes a little.
I ain't tryin to hate, cuz I love Bay(includeing hyphy) music and haven't bought another regions music since Game early last year. Just realize hyphy may get cats on the radio and MTV, but the terminology is hard for the closeminded people in the rest of the country to accept (going dumb, gettin stupid, etc)....so they decide to hate without giving a chance to it. That coupled wit the fact dat Forty and Keak are easy to hate if you arent used to them, and the Bay has an uphill battle for respect.

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
why do people on siccness always gotta act like white people listening to a certain type of music is a bad thing?

and it appeals to people because it's about having fun and just letting loose... thats something everyone likes to do

Sep 11, 2005
is it just me or dont hyphy remind anyone of that punk rock movement they had in the mid 60's-late70's??? its the same thing, they used to wear the wierd gear, like the clothes pins an they wore the big ol stunners...i mean sum of you are from the eastbay an from frisco so sum of you older guys should be able to see the comparison im talkin about...real high energy type shit...i dont know...but to get to the question, i think hyphy appeals cuz suburbia can hella relate to it, like sumone said it aint gang related so you can have Timmy an Jo'anne ghost ride the volvo...white people more than anyone love it cuz its just like punk rock, an if you notice most punk rockers are white...i dont know i just see that comparison