we're a culture not a costume!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 23, 2008
Gold Coast, Australia
anyone that gets offended by a simple party costume is way too uptight. if i went to an american party and saw some dude dressed up as the typical crocodile dundee australian i would laugh. i can understand if some dude dressed in blackface and wore a noose around his neck or something, but these are just basic costumes.

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
anyone that gets offended by a simple party costume is way too uptight. if i went to an american party and saw some dude dressed up as the typical crocodile dundee australian i would laugh. i can understand if some dude dressed in blackface and wore a noose around his neck or something, but these are just basic costumes.
no, theyre not just basic costumes.

imagine if your earliest memories are being ridiculed and made to feel less than someone else, just because of your race or heritage or culture or something you have no control of. your whole entire life goes on with little stabs at your person here and there, and maybe you even experience some big time discrimination or racism. this becomes ingrained in you, this sense of being worth less than someone else, of being lower than others because of something you have no control over.

there are people who's whole entire lives are shaped by these negative experiences, its very very real, and its appalling and disgusting. now imagine some asshole comes along mocking your race / heritage / sexual preference / socioeconomic status / whatever the fuck you've been belittled about your whole entire life, with a blatant stereotype costume, and asks you to "chill out bro, dont be offended".

no, i doubt you even considered the simple fact that you don't have the cultural context to consider what its like to actually be discriminated against, without the person even knowing a single thing about you. you dont have these experiences, you dont know what it feels like, and you dont have the right to judge how other people should handle this discrimination.

everyone has the right to be offended and to not be ridiculed and made to feel less of a person than everybody else. being made fun of for being australian by some guy in a crocodile dundee outfit is not the same, its not even close, and even just comparing a crocodile dundee outfit to being as offensive as someone dressed like speedy gonzales, or any other type of costume mocking an entire race of people or type of person and downplaying hate and discrimination is disgusting.

"oh heres another dickface come along to make me feel inferior and worthless, because of something i cant control, and i dont have the right to be offended about it." yeah i bet youd love to live in a world where that was the case. its not ok and i dont think you're ever going to come back from this.

you're an ignorant bigot jakenumbers, you're a piece of shit low life, and you need to take some lessons on general humanity and learn some respect and compassion for your fellow man. you disgust me, i have no respect for you

emma

Sicc OG
Apr 5, 2006
anyone that gets offended by a simple party costume is way too uptight. if i went to an american party and saw some dude dressed up as the typical crocodile dundee australian i would laugh.
okay, but what about something like this "aboriginal" costume? doesn't that seem hella racist & tacky? (not to mention she just looks stupid.)

Jun 23, 2008
Gold Coast, Australia
okay, but what about something like this "aboriginal" costume? doesn't that seem hella racist & tacky? (not to mention she just looks stupid.)

actually i just went back and re read the first post and it is actually not as playful as i thought. i thought it was just people dressing up in in stereotypical clothes for that culture, but now i notice the shit like the bombs. forget what i said before lol.