The bayarea music scene and politics..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 20, 2006
Good Posting! But Honestly do you Folks really Beleive that the popular FM Stations will support a Movement that promotes awareness? T-Kash, Boots, Paris, Zion I, Messy Marv & Quinn been promoting the upliftment of the People but we're only Lucky enough to hear them songs on Street Soldiers.

I know Bitching about Radio & Pro-Blackness will only put me in the Siccness Agitator Index Files.

Feb 13, 2006
my support would most definitely go out to an artist in e-40's caliber making a political song. though, to appeal to a broader base, it would have to be aesthetically pleasing as well. as much as i give props to a lot of the conscious rappers out there, there are only a few that do it well (ie: the coup, paris, zion i, and i'll even add lupe to the mix now). gone are the days when people would dance to a highly political public enemy joint.

somebody mentioned something about yellow bus radio not playing anything with substance. out of all the "hyphy/thizz" rappers out there, mistah fab has been one of the main individuals trying to bridge politics with the rest of the bay rap scene. jacka and mob figaz do their thing and so does jt the bigga figga, but fab's been given a lot of shine lately. but he even mentioned on his radio show that his radio station wouldnt support him doing more commentary and tries to censor what he does.

May 11, 2005
Yo FABBY DAVIS always speaks on some real shit.
Those that have the album SON OF A PIMP already know that. He has more of real message songs then hyphy go dumb ones

G.Archer

PS watch this NEW SHIT..

Oh Yea: You should listen to the show YELLOW BUS RADIO before you go out there and make a big mistake like you did.. we play shit like that every week. check this week for the ZION I interview and new joints

Aug 8, 2003
good responses yall.. from what ive come to understand so far is those who would be put off see the msg as being too "doom" and "gloom" and would rather use musik as a means of escape from that..which isnt neccisarily a bad thing because its a source of relief and u should always have a couple, but lets be real, some foul shit has been goin down all around us, our next generation are going to grow up into a war-torn world. if they listen back to the music of our era they would have no idea... i like the responses, good shiet
moves said:
my support would most definitely go out to an artist in e-40's caliber making a political song. though, to appeal to a broader base, it would have to be aesthetically pleasing as well. as much as i give props to a lot of the conscious rappers out there, there are only a few that do it well (ie: the coup, paris, zion i, and i'll even add lupe to the mix now). gone are the days when people would dance to a highly political public enemy joint.
u hit the nail on the head.. its definetely tough to make an "aesthetically pleasing" song concerning politics..

Mr. ViNN707 said:
Corporations OWN rap now and if it isnt promoting spending money on useless crap then the corporation is not going to back your music or put it out there for people to listen to because political rap is against corporate principals.
and thats the truth!!! couldnt have said it better myself..

Feb 2, 2006
rappers who speak on social issues shouldnt make that the focal point of ther cd. maybe 3 or 4 tracks about that. i also agree with the dude who made the comment about mansions and cars. nobody cares about how many houses or jewelery rappers got. 90% of the time its rented

Feb 18, 2006
mofrowz said:
I think if the rappers around here blended it in it would be alright, but I kind of like listening to music to get away from all the bullshit in politics.

for real, ever were u go and watch theres politics. music one thing not political and corrupted

Nov 1, 2005
^^^^YEA FUCKIN RITE....MUSIC IS HELLA CORRUPTED AND POLITICAL thats why people can't get their shit played homie.....everything paid for and spoon fed to the masses...and a bullshit song can be #1

rappers rap about real spit that political or meaningful all the time....they can spit sum real shit, but when does it actually get on the radio? that's where pac was special his shit coudl be so damn conscientious but still be fuckin hit wit hella rotations.....

Jun 30, 2005
it would be clean if some rappers blended it into their regular raps. more rappers speakin on real shit/ issues would get my attention. there are a few bay rappers that do it and make good tracks, but theres some more i would like to hear material like that from. real shit/ street shit > club shit/ radio shit. dont get me wrong tho, i'll still slap songs about money hoes and nonsense cuz sometimes i feel the same way. good post tho.

Feb 22, 2004
MOREBASS said:
I agree. But there is STILL Bay music with substance, but you're not going to hear it on The Chop Shop, or see it on MTV Jams or 106 & Park...

you havent been listening lately... zion i, grouch, living legends, the roots, lupe fiasco, dirty birdie, chino xl, talib, heiro have all been gettin daily love and on friday night from me and from Von. Plus bringin back a lot of the stuff that is the foundation of Hiphop.

lotta excting things happening...
we cant be dumb forever.

Jul 16, 2005
I think social and political stuff is out there it's just not the popular thing so it doesn't get much focus. Cats like Fab, Jacka, Husalah, Quinn, Mess, even A-Wax have songs that touch on at least the struggle. I think it's a matter of finding balance, you know? Touching on a little of everything, putting some harsh reality into it. Pac was real good at that. But I also don't think it's a coincidence that the materialistic and glamorized high siding lifestyle is put out there in the mainstream. When it is social or political that's when the powers that be have a problem. It's some deep stuff behind it. The powers that be don't want us to be educated and aware of the ills of the lower class, because once we're aware then people would want to address it. So they promote this fantasy make believe shit.

Feb 9, 2006
^^^^
I agree. But I am really convinced that MORE people wanna hear nonsense gettaway music because of how crazy of a world we live in, people would rather spend 15$ on on a 60 min. Fantasy/makebelive-movie/Vacation, than on a real life type of documentary. ..Its just too real for most stupid ass people! For instance...Look how many people looked at this post? Not nearly as many who looked at on of the Game beefin w/ whoever posts, ..Or a post where u can just talk shit about absolutely NOTHING back and forth? Dont get me wrong tho, alot of people like real meaningfull shit,,.....I just think more people likes that nonsense shit.

Feb 23, 2006
not bay related..... but take IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE as an expample..even though his lyrics are more powerful and lyrical...shit like that is interesting to hear

Jul 16, 2005
macdrebaby said:
Boots from the Coup been doing that shit for years and making GREAT music, step ya game up if ya aint got any they albums. Boots a sav...
Also Living Legends and Hiero do they thang without beign gangster or on some hyphy shit all the time

Yeah he (Boots) was on the radio with Chuy this morning. Playing songs off a new album he got out. It had real spit on it of course. They played a song with him, Black Thought and Talib Kweli that was tight. I have to look it up and see if I can cop that album. Just to listen to something different. The Coup music always slap.