The bayarea music scene and politics..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 8, 2003
I want some opinions on this.. what would yall think if E-40 or Ya Boy started doing songs about current events and political shit? Would yall still support em or would u be turned off?

I ask because i think thats what we are missing at the moment, yeah ok, kickin it, clubbin, thizzin its all been said and done over and over again, but does our music today even hold an important message to it? wheres the substance?? when im sitting and writing a song i keep the message im putting in it at the forefront of my mind.. but it seems today that many songs are relying on the "feel good" "dont care" type of vibe and the folx who listen to it get that apathetic sense to them too... where are the 2pacs? the paris's?? i figure if you have an audience and the capability to be heard then you would use that gift to lace game on folx about shit thats going on..

opinions?

Feb 8, 2006
That's real. Only thing is that most of these new rappers aren't knowledgable enough to give a REAL message.

Me personally I like the rappers who know how to blend the street shit with some intelligence.

Apr 13, 2005
T-KASH & BOOT RILEY speak on alotta political stuff.

Alotta bay rap artist DO have poltical stuff meshed in somewhere on their album...you just gotta find it....

But then..whats "political" to one man..might not be to the next....

Dec 9, 2005
I agree. But there is STILL Bay music with substance, but you're not going to hear it on Yellow Bus Radio, or on The Chop Shop, or see it on MTV Jams or 106 & Park...

I think theres a place for every type of hip hop, and substance and politics don't really mesh in well with the whole Hyphy-Yellow-Bus-Retard-Thizz thing we got going on right now IMO...

I don't think this is something thats limited to just Bay Area hip hop though, if you look at mainstream rap in general, not a lot of artists that are making thought provoking music are getting a lot of mainstream shine anyways.

Jan 11, 2006
thats why pac was such a big deal, he put so much politics and intelligence in his music and was able to get so many people to listen

Apr 25, 2002
Ive been saying that for years. I was surprised no one came out and dropped a diss when Bill Oreilly said terrorists should bomb San Francisco...

Nov 22, 2005
MaddDogg said:
Ive been saying that for years. I was surprised no one came out and dropped a diss when Bill Oreilly said terrorists should bomb San Francisco...
ohhh yeah, i rember that, That fool said the usa should drop a bomb on frisco cause frisco didnt want military recuriters at the middle schools and high schools. If that dont show u the true face of rebulicans and rednecks i dont know what will!!!!!

Apr 24, 2006
MikeyG said:
itz music homie
if you want a political update watch CNN or go to school
itz pretty simple homie
you really just said all that you need to. Anything else out of your mouth is basically like pollution.

....and by the way, i think this is the last time i respond to anyone that can't spell when they decide to say something.

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
id rather listen to political lyrical shit instead of hyphy now....ever since 40 exploited it....i been slappin mob an sac gangsta shit again....

Aug 18, 2006
MikeyG said:
itz music homie
if you want a political update watch CNN or go to school
itz pretty simple homie
its funny you said that because I was watching this music special and Nile Rogers pretty much said the same shit, it blew my wig back!!!...music is a powerful means of communication and people in high places know they can corrupt millions!!...some call it mu-sick!!!

Aug 18, 2006
westbaygiant said:
Thats an ignorant comment u just made homie!!!!!!!
You wont here any real political news on cnn and the schools are run by the same people that run the jails and prisons, you think they gonna tell u anything????

ThATS WHY 2pac was sic, cause u made u bump his music and when you werent paying attention, BAM, he snuck in a message and a fuck u bush or bob dole or some shit!!!!!!!!! and spit some real life, shit.
good point...whats the Difference between CNN and Inside Edition? Nothing just different names and faces, its drama at its best!!! Askari -Xanyone?

Oct 31, 2005
I think if the rappers around here blended it in it would be alright, but I kind of like listening to music to get away from all the bullshit in politics.

Aug 26, 2006
myspace.com
TROLL said:
I ask because i think thats what we are missing at the moment, yeah ok, kickin it, clubbin, thizzin its all been said and done over and over again, but does our music today even hold an important message to it? wheres the substance??
lol, sounds like an interlude from "THE GO-FESSIONAL" Mixtape by Kaz Kyzah - still for FREE @ bigvon.com ... by the way.

but yo! great post, things are definitely gonna change ... just keep your eyes and ears open, cause real people do and wear real/authentic things.

May 31, 2006
Shit i feel that thats why i be slappin Immortal Technique.. hes the fuckin Truth on some real Revolutionary Shit...

" Buy My Shit, Fuck That Steal My Shit, Just Bump My Shit Mothafucka" -Immortal Technique