Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
Walter Jones tweets about retiring ... again

Walter Jones is known for his quiet sense of humor as well as his prowess on the football field, so take this with a left tackle-sized grain of salt.

But Jones, who has been working to recover from a pair of knee surgeries in the last year, posted the following statement on his Twitter account Sunday morning:

"I have come to the concussion it is time for me to retire from football."

The use of the word "concussion" instead of "conclusion" could lead one to believe this is just a joke. But he followed that up an hour and a half later with a correction:

"Sorry conclusion this phone just hep you spell to much but you understand."

In other words, his iPhone spell check kicked in the wrong word. But he meant conclusion. And he sounds serious about retirement.

A Seahawks spokesman said the team had no knowledge of Jones' situation either way, but this statement is far more to the point than a series of tweets Jones made two months ago that he later backed away from.

On Dec. 4, Jones tweeted this series of thoughts from his home in Florida, where he'd gone to rehabilitate while the Seahawks were playing out their season:

"I think some time you came push your body to the point of no return and you have to face reality"

"think I have had a great run at this thing the NFL and seahawks and the fans hve been great to me."

"There is no easy way to give something that you have been doing for s long time."

But when Jones returned to Seattle at season's end, he said he was working hard to return to the game and wanted to play one more season if the Seahawks wanted him back.

He said those tweets were merely him thanking the fans.

So is this really it? The idea of announcing the retirement of one of the game's premier players on the day of the Super Bowl is pretty unusual in the timing department.

But there is little doubt that Jones is either at or very near the end of his outstanding career and a decision is looming. If this is it for Big Walt, the man will be in the Hall of Fame in five years, as soon as he is eligible.

That part we know for sure.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/193706.asp

Feb 14, 2004
NFL draft: Do Seahawks have to grab a lineman first?

NFL draft expert Rob Rang has graciously agreed to discuss a different topic each week on our Seahawks Blog from now until the April 22-24 draft. Rang is a senior analyst for NFLdraftscout.com, an excellent source for insight on all draft topics. Here's this week's discussion:

Without question, the most glaring need for the Seattle Seahawks is fixing their offensive line. And with Walter Jones' future in considerable doubt, most assume the Seahawks will go for an offensive tackle with one of their first-round draft picks.

But hold the phone in Pete Carroll's office, for a second. The Seahawks have a whole lot of needs and only two first-round selections. So is it possible that Seattle will go for big playmakers at other positions at the top of the draft and then plug in their offensive line needs later?

Rang says that not only is a possibility, it might actually work for the Seahawks given the depth of offensive line talent available and the fact Seattle now is looking for a different type of linemen than many teams.

Here are Rang's thoughts on these questions:

Will Seattle go for an offensive lineman in the first round?

"A month ago I would have argued that the Seahawks were a virtual guarantee to use one of their two first-round picks on one of the top-rated offensive tackles. The addition of offensive line coach Alex Gibbs, however, could alter their plans.

"Gibbs, the master of the zone-blocking system, targets a different type of offensive lineman than most coaches. Whereas most teams are looking for 6-foot-6, 330-pound earth-movers, Gibbs' has shown a preference for more athletic, technically refined players. Though his linemen obviously require a certain degree of size and brute strength, these characteristics are less important."

Which of the top-rated linemen fit Gibbs' style?

"Most of the offensive tackles given a first-round grade in this draft are of the bigger, stronger variety.

"Of the five offensive tackles expected to go in the first round -- Oklahoma State's Russell Okung, Oklahoma's Trent Williams, Rutgers' Anthony Davis, Iowa's Bryan Bulaga and Maryland's Bruce Campbell -- Bulaga might be the best fit for Gibbs' system considering his athleticism, technique and high football IQ."

(Bulaga is a 6-foot-6, 312-pounder who was named the Big Ten offensive lineman of the year this past fall as a junior despite missing three games with a thyroid condition. He was athletic enough to play some tight end in high school in Illinois when he caught 10 TD passes).

If Seattle waits, are there lower-round prospects who match what they're looking for?

"Fortunately for Seattle, this class offers some other intriguing fits for Gibbs' scheme in the second to fourth rounds, should the team elect to focus on another position in the first.

"USC's Charles Brown is a former tight end with the agility to fit this scheme and Pete Carroll and much of his staff are obviously very familiar with him. His upside is enough that he could creep into the late first round, however.

"Should Seattle not take a tackle in the first, it might be because they're targeting Brown early in the second.

"Miami's Jason Fox and West Virginia's Selvish Capers are other intriguing fits. Fox was viewed at one point as a likely second-round pick, but underwent surgery on his leg late in the year, which could cause him to slip a bit. He's a four-year starter for the Canes who is expected to be fine for mini-camps.

"Like Brown, Capers is a former tight end. He struggled at the Senior Bowl, but has a lot of upside in Gibbs' zone-blocking system."

-----

Bottom line, the Seahawks have some options. While Gibbs is known as a guy who has succeeded with lower-round picks, I don't think that means he'd turn down a first-round talent to work with.

If a Walter Jones' clone is available, the Seahawks would obviously take him. But Okung is the highest-rated tackle and Rang -- in his latest mock draft -- has him being selected third by Tampa Bay.

So unless Seattle is sold on one of the other tackles being the perfect fit at No. 6 or 14, I expect they'll wait until the second round to start scratching that itch and use those top picks elsewhere.

Another likely scenario is for GM John Schneider to trade down with one of his first-round picks and get an extra second or third rounder -- and then perhaps use his new lower first-rounder to grab Bulaga, who would be a better value pick at that spot.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/193974.asp

Feb 14, 2004
Agent: Seahawks sign former Western long snapper

Matt Overton, a former Western Washington University defensive lineman, has signed with the Seattle Seahawks as a long snapper, according to a Twitter post from his agent.

No confirmation yet from the Seahawks, but credit Brian McIntyre for catching David Canter's tweet and posting the news on his NFL blog.

Overton, 24, was in the Seahawks' camp in 2007 as a deep snapper, but was released and wound up playing two years for the Tri-Cities Fever in the Indoor Football League and then last season with the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League.

The Seahawks are in need of snapping help since Kevin Houser finished last season on injured reserve after suffering a collapsed lung against Tampa Bay in December. He was replaced by veteran Jeff Robinson, who turns 40 later this month.

Neither Houser or Robinson are under contract for next season.

Overton certainly has some snapping skills, as evidenced on this video from last summer. Check it out.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/194066.asp

Feb 14, 2004
Bulaga getting more Seahawks' love in the mock drafts

It's going to be an interesting couple months of conjecture on the NFL draft front with the Seahawks right in the middle of things, thanks to their two high first-round picks.

Yesterday we talked to NFL draft expert Rob Rang about Seattle's possibilities concerning offensive line help. And wouldn't you know it, ESPN.com's Todd McShay came out with his latest mock draft almost at the same time in which he forecast a huge run on offensive linemen at the start of the draft.

In fact, McShay feels so strongly about the draft's line value that he has Seattle snapping up Iowa left tackle Bryan Bulaga with their No. 6 pick as one of four offensive linemen drafted in the first eight spots.

Rang also brought up Bulaga as a nice fit for the Seahawks, given their new-found interest in more athletically-inclined linemen to fit Alex Gibbs' zone-blocking schemes. But Rang -- like everyone outside of McShay to date -- hadn't projected Bulaga going that high up on the board.

Rang updated his own mock draft Thursday at nfldraftscout.com and has Seattle picking Bulaga at No. 14 after taking Georgia Tech defensive end Derrick Morgan at No. 6.

It'll be interesting to see if Bulaga's stock climbs so high that the Seahawks might need to take him with their first pick if they're sold on him being the right guy.

McShay's work is only available to ESPN Insider subscribers, but I'll tip the rest of you on a couple interesting points. He goes out on a big limb and projects the St. Louis Rams taking Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy with the No. 1 pick, allowing Ndamukong Suh to fall to Detroit at No. 2.

I'll be stunned if that happens, but I guess you can never count out the Rams from making a dumb move.

The other interesting part of McShay's scenario has Tennessee safety Eric Berry falling to Cleveland at No. 7, which means the Seahawks passed on him to take Bulaga. I can't see that happening either, unless the Seahawks are sold on Bulaga being the only tackle in the draft who floats their boat.

Like seemingly everyone else, McShay then has Seattle taking Clemson running back C.J. Spiller with their 14th pick.

Personally, I think the Seahawks trade down out of that spot to add additional picks in the second or third rounds. They might even be able to trade down and still get Spiller later in the first round.

All this is pure conjecture at this point, of course, but it's fun to play out the possibilities. Wes Bunting at the National Football Post has a completely different scenario. His mock is available here and the most interesting aspect is having St. Louis ignore the two defensive tackle studs and go with Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford.

I could actually see that happen if the Rams -- who are in the process of getting a new owner -- decide that No. 1 money is really a lot of cash for anyone besides a franchise quarterback. The question is whether Bradford will be a franchise QB. But if the Rams think so, they certainly could justify the desire to fix that position while they have the first choice.

I think they'd be crazy to take Bradford there instead of Suh and I've got a hunch Max Unger wouldn't mind not having to face the Nebraska nose tackle twice a year in NFC West battles as well.

Bunting has Seattle picking Berry at No. 6 and then landing Georgia Tech running back Jonathan Dwyer at No. 14.

Dwyer is a 6-1, 235-pound bruiser who is projected as a late first-round pick on most mocks at this point. Again, he feels like a guy the Seahawks could trade down and get if they're interested.

But, hey, it's only Feb. 11. We'll know a lot more after the NFL Combine later this month. The actual draft will go on April 22-24, so plenty more mocking to do in the meantime ...

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/194205.asp

Feb 14, 2004
CFL star Ricky Foley eager to make mark in Seattle

Ricky Foley has heard the talk that he's too small to play defensive end in the NFL. But the former Canadian Football League star isn't worried about it after agreeing to a contract with the Seahawks last week.

Foley, who led the CFL with 12 sacks last year for the B.C. Lions, says he stands a little over 6-foot-2 and weighs 245 pounds at the moment, though he's played as high as 265.

He figures he'll check in about 255 with the Seahawks when training camp arrives in July and, no, he's not worried about being too small to compete with the big boys.

Foley is currently on vacation in Brazil with a pair of former CFL buddies -- Cam Wake of the Miami Dolphins and former Packer Timothy Goodwell -- but answered a few questions via e-mail Wednesday.

"I think it's funny because people have been saying in the media I am too small to play on the line of scrimmage and point of attack," Foley said. "Our CFL offensive tackles are 6-5 to 6-8 and between 310-350 pounds, too.

"Technique and footwork is what separates them and anyone who thinks I'm going to get pushed out or out-physicaled by one of those big boys is crazy."

Foley isn't afraid of challenges. He grew up on a 200-acre dairy farm in Ontario, mucking out barns for his dad. He was a decathlete in high school, but never played football until he went to York University in Toronto.

So while he'll turn 28 in June, he's forever been the raw athlete just figuring things out in football. And now that he's getting there, he's not about to let go of the dream.

Foley brings up a list of NFL Pro Bowl defenders who are of similar size and make a living as NFL pass rushers: Dwight Freeney (6-1, 268) of the Colts, Elvis Dumervil (5-11, 248) of the Broncos and James Harrison (6-0, 242) and LaMarr Woodley (6-2, 265) of the Steelers.

Interestingly, only Freeney of that group is a true defensive end. The other three are outside linebackers, which lends to the idea that both Foley and the Seahawks are looking at him as slightly different than the traditional defensive end.

New head coach Pete Carroll has talked of introducing an "elephant" type position to the Seahawks' line, a hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker who lines up at a defensive end position from an upright position.

The Seahawks will consider using Aaron Curry, Darryl Tapp and Nick Reed in that role, but Foley sounds like a logical candidate as well.

"I'll primarily be focusing on getting after the quarterback, but also moving around as a linebacker as well in the role the staff described was available for me to compete at," he said.

This won't be Foley's first shot at the NFL, but he intends to make this one stick. He had a tryout with the Baltimore Ravens in 2006 and was released after a month.

He went on to play four seasons in the CFL, emerging as a premier pass rusher this past season after Wake moved on to the Dolphins and opened up a starting spot on the B.C. Lions line.

He said he's learned a ton since his shot with the Ravens.

"In Baltimore I didn't know what it meant or took to be a professional, how to study the playbook, watch film and practice like a pro," Foley said. "That's all behind me now. I just want to line up and get to the quarterback faster than anyone else."

He's certainly proven capable of moving quickly over the past week, which was a whirlwind for the Toronto native.

Knowing he was going to become a CFL free agent on Monday, Foley visited the Jets, Rams and Eagles in a three-day span. He then flew back to Toronto, packed his gear for the long-scheduled vacation in Brazil and stopped off at San Diego and Seattle on the way to Brazil.

Something clicked for him with the Seahawks.

"The Seattle decision was based on a lot of things, but primarily the opportunity aspect," he said. "New coach, new defense, new position ... I feel as though the slate has been wiped clean here and going into camp there will be no favorites and the best player will play, as Coach Carroll put it."

And what would it mean for him to make it in the NFL? To become a member of the Seahawks' final 53-man squad and take the next step in a football evolution that began a decade ago at York University when he showed up as the big farm kid who wanted to play wherever they could fit him in?

Foley said it's not a matter of if he makes it with the Seahawks ...

"WHEN I make it in Seattle and hear that first ovation and announcement over the PA, 'Sacked by Ricky Foley?'" he said. "Oh, I'll probably start crying like a lil' girl. But whatever. I just hope it's at Qwest."

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/194782.asp

Feb 14, 2004
Foley sounds promising. If he makes the 53 man roster this season, I hope he does well for the team. The team really needs a good passrusher.

Feb 14, 2004
Kiper's latest mock: Seahawks will go for a QB

Mel Kiper Jr. always tends to stir people's emotions and the outspoken analyst surely will generate some discussion among Seattle Seahawks fans with his latest mock draft.

Kiper has Seattle selecting ... (drum roll please) ... quarterback Sam Bradford of Oklahoma with its No. 6 pick in the first round in his Mock Draft 2.0 version released Wednesday on ESPN.com.

Not many draftniks have foreseen the Seahawks going with a QB that high, even though many disgruntled fans are ready to find a replacement for Matt Hasselbeck in the wake of last season's 5-11 finish.

I'm one who believes quarterback was the least of Seattle's problems last year, but I think we all can agree that the Seahawks will need a succession plan for Hasselbeck sooner or later.

The question being, is sooner the best option? And if so, is the Sooner the solution?

Bradford's an intriguing case, the 2009 Heisman Trophy winner having played just two games this past season due to shoulder injuries. He would have been a very high draft pick -- possibly No. 1 -- had he not stayed in school last season and his availability at the top of the board this year will make a lot of teams stop and think, including the Seahawks.

Kiper's work is only available to ESPN Insider subscribers so I won't provide the link, but here are his thoughts on Bradford:

The bottom line on Bradford: This quarterback has 10-point accuracy and could very well have gone ahead of Matthew Stafford as the No. 1 pick last year. He will have a chance to prove to many scouts he's still the elite prospect many believe him to be. It's fair to doubt him, but his talent is unquestionable.​

Kiper also has Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen going to the Redskins at No. 4, so Bradford would be the second signal-caller off the board.

The problem with picking Bradford is that Seattle has so many other pressing needs in its rebuilding efforts. In this scenario, Kiper has the Seahawks passing on Oklahoma State left tackle Russell Okung, for example.

He also doesn't see Seattle taking a tackle with its second pick, instead going for USC defensive end Everson Griffen at No. 14.

Seattle could use help on its O-line, but Griffen fills a significant need for pass-rush help here. The Seahawks will take a serious value hit if they select an offensive tackle here with Okung and Davis already off the board. Griffen also has a great size-speed combination, ideal on the edge of a 4-3.​

But Kiper has Oklahoma tackle Trent Williams going two spots later to the 49ers, talks about Idaho guard Mike Lupati as a Steve Hutchinson-type prospect to the Steelers at No. 18 and has Iowa tackle Bryan Bulaga -- the kind of athletic lineman the Seahawks covet -- falling to the Packers at No. 23.

That's why I continue to say its quite likely Seattle will try to trade down with its second pick and still get an offensive lineman, as well as add an additional pick or two in the second-to-fourth round area.

But those top picks are indeed golden for a rebuilding team and Pete Carroll and company certainly will have some tough decisions to make ... including whether the time is now to land a future franchise QB.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/194847.asp

Feb 14, 2004
NFL Trade Rumor: What Should the Seahawks Do With Deion Branch?

He came to Seattle after being named a Super Bowl MVP and is considered one of the best slot receivers in football.

Now after three years of mediocre seasons in the Pacific Northwest, the question remains: Do the Seahawks still have room for Deion Branch?

Perhaps the biggest miss in the Tim Ruskell era (excluding Hutch-gate), Deion Branch has worn out his welcome as the 12th Man with the inconsistent health, poor play, and a cocky attitude.

Branch has stated before that he intends on staying a Seahawk next season, but now reports surface that he wants to sign with the Chicago Bears. This should have peaked the Seahawks front office interest to a possible Branch trade.

Right now, Branch has more value to the Seahawks than anyone else with the exception of New England. While a trade back to Foxboro could be on the horizon, the Seahawks would be wise playing their cards close to the vest.

Building a market for Branch is key here. With his $5.4 million salary, he isn't a hot commodity, but the Seahawks could shop him around for draft picks to teams in desperate need of a wideout.

Here's some possible trades.

Trade Deion Branch to New England for 2010 third round pick

The Seahawks do not have a pick in the third round for this year's draft. Although New England is not known for giving up their draft picks like the Raiders, this trade benefits both sides.

The Seahawks get a pick they can realistically turn into a starter, and the Patriots get a slot receiver who knows Tom Brady and can replace Wes Welker.

However, the problem isn't New England's reluctance to give up draft picks; it's Branch's value. A third round might be too high a pick for the former Louisville Cardinal wideout.

Trade Deion Brach to Chicago for a 2010 fourth round pick

He wants to be a Bear, so let him go. This could give Cutler at least someone else to throw to, who has the same jersey that he does.

The Seahawks can use this to find a gem OL or maybe a CB. Let's see how Pete Carroll can evaluate late-round talent.

Trade Deion Branch and 40th pick to Denver for Brandon Marshall

No way do you give the Broncos one of your first round picks, especially since they have no other team offering a first round pick. Instead, give them Branch (who would be used to Josh McDaniels' style of coaching) and our 40th pick and we can actually get a wide receiver who can be a playmaker.

Trade Deion Branch to Baltimore for a 2010 third or fourth round pick

No one seems to realize that the Ravens are still in desperate need of wide receivers. They need more than one.

Rumor has it they may go after Marshall, Anquan Boldin, or Terrell Owens this offseason. Why not give them another option by letting Branch go to Baltimore?

Both teams win here.

The Seahawks get rid of Branch to another AFC team and get some pick compensation. Meanwhile, the Ravens can focus on getting Boldin out of Arizona (another bonus to the Seahawks) and have a No. 3 option in Branch behind Derrick Mason.

Any one of these trades could happen. The key is to building the market for an underachieving WR.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/347236-what-should-the-seahawks-do-with-deion-branch

Feb 14, 2004
I'm done being optimistic for Branch. I've wanted him to be a top player for the team ever since he landed here, but just hasn't done shit but get injured. He's too expensive right now, and we could use that money on someone else that could do something for the team.

I think the Seahawks are just fine with Housh, Burleson, Carlson, and Butler.

Feb 14, 2004
Before Draft, Seattle Seahawks Face Free Agency; What Will They Do?

The Seahawks’ coaching staff is settled in, they have already been to the Senior Bowl and back, and the Combine is coming up in about 10 days, so naturally everyone wants to talk about what they are going to do in the April draft, where they hold the sixth, 14th, and 40th picks.

But first things first. Before the draft comes free agency. And it will be quite a bit different this year than it has been since the advent of the open player market in 1993.

The owners and union are so far away from an agreement on a new CBA that it’s a virtual certainty that the 2010 league year, which begins March 5, will be the first without a salary cap since 1993.

Before anyone gets too excited about how the Seahawks will be spending tons of Paul Allen’s money to completely revamp their team, it’s important to understand that teams will have more ways than ever to retain players, which means the quality of free agents will be even more diluted than it has been in recent years.

For one, any player whose contract has expired will need six accrued years of experience to qualify as an unrestricted free agent.

According to the NFL, if there is no cap, 212 players who would have had the required four years to become unrestricted under the old CBA rules will instead be restricted free agents next month.

That’s an average of almost seven players per team who can be restricted by tender offers that would require draft-pick compensation from other teams signing them to offer sheets.

The Seahawks have six such players: tackle Brandon Frye, linebacker Lance Laury, receiver Ben Obomanu, guard Rob Sims, center Chris Spencer and defensive end Darryl Tapp.

Sims and Tapp are the only ones definitely worthy of RFA tenders. The Hawks could retain Sims with a $1.2 million tender, netting a fourth-round pick if someone else signed him. They could also tender him at the second-round level for $1.76 million.

Tapp could be tendered at either level as well, netting a third-round or second-round pick if someone else signed him. It might be worth it for the Hawks to tender him and see if some 3-4 team views him as a fit as a pass-rushing linebacker.

Frye’s health is a question mark due to the Week 5 neck injury that ruined his season and really hurt the Seahawks’ line because he was playing so well. If he is healthy, the former fifth-round pick would be worth the $1.2 million tender.

The Hawks don’t need to worry about tendering Spencer, a first-round bust, unless they think some other team might be interested. In that case, the second-round tender would suffice. Laury and Obomanu likely will not be tendered.

Punter Jon Ryan was slated to be an RFA, but the team signed him to a six-year deal worth $9.1 million in January.

Teams also can designate an extra transition player on top of the franchise/transition option they currently have. The window for designating franchise/transition players began Feb. 11 and ends Feb. 25. So far, no team has marked a player with either tag.

The Seahawks are unlikely to use either designation themselves. Their top unrestricted free agents are wide receiver Nate Burleson and kicker Olindo Mare.

To tender Burleson would cost $9.52 million for a franchise tag (average of the top five receiver salaries in 2009 and worth two first-round picks from any team signing him to an offer sheet) and $8.65 million for a transition (average of top 10 receiver salaries in 2009, with no draft-pick compensation).

Mare would cost $2.8 million as a franchise player and $2.63 million as a transition player. He made $1.5 million in 2009, and he certainly could argue that making 48 of 53 kicks over the last two years merits a pay raise.

He definitely has been one of the top 5-10 kickers in the NFL since he came to Seattle. The question is whether the Hawks’ new staff values him enough to retain him at age 37 (in June).

The Hawks’ other potential UFAs are fullback Justin Griffith, linebacker D.D. Lewis, cornerback Ken Lucas, tackle Damion McIntosh, safety Lawyer Milloy, end Cory Redding, and quarterback Seneca Wallace.

Wallace has been a disappointment as a backup quarterback, but he could still carry some value as a utility player. He probably will have nowhere else to go, so the Hawks could re-sign him for a couple more seasons until they replace him with Matt Hasselbeck’s heir.

As for the rest, the Seahawks could take or leave any of them. None should cost much to re-sign.

As for free-agent reinforcements, there won’t be nearly as many options as some might think for a team that needs help on both lines and in the secondary.

Some Seahawk fans are enamored of the idea of signing All-Pro guard Jahri Evans. But he will be a restricted free agent and he doesn’t want to leave the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints.

Other top linemen who are RFAs: New Orleans LT Jammal Brown, New England LG Logan Mankins, San Diego LT Marcus McNeill, Green Bay OG Daryn Colledge, Denver OG Chris Kuper, Cincy LG Evan Mathis, San Diego OT Jeromey Clary, San Francisco OG David Baas, Arizona OG Deuce Lutui.

The top potential RFAs at positions other than O-line include:

DE: Marcus Spears, Mark Anderson

S: Atari Bigby, O.J. Otogwe, Jarrad Page

RB: Pierre Thomas, Leon Washington, Darren Sproles

TE: Owen Daniels, Tony Scheffler, Bo Scaife

LB: DeMeco Ryans, Elvis Dumervil, Thomas Davis, Derrick Johnson, Shawne Merriman

WR: Miles Austin, Brandon Marshall, Steve Breaston, Braylon Edwards, Lance Moore

CB: Richard Marshall

There will be more quality RFAs than UFAs. But the Seahawks will have an issue pursuing many RFAs because they have no third-round pick.

They do have an extra first-round pick, so if some team tenders one of its top linemen or other players at only a first-round level, the Seahawks could sign that guy to an offer sheet if they were willing to give up the No. 6 pick for him.

But anyone tendered at first and thirds would be out of the Hawks’ range, even if they were inclined to spend two draft picks on him.

The RFA market is usually pretty quiet; only 31 RFAs switched teams in the 2000s. It remains to be seen whether that number grows commensurately with the larger RFA pot in 2010.

The deadline for tendering RFAs is March 4, so that’s when we’ll know what it will take to try to sign any of the above players. Any player not tendered by March 4 becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Many of the desirable UFAs probably will receive franchise tenders. But the Hawks will know by Feb. 25 which ones will be totally free on March 5, and, backed by Allen’s money, the Hawks should be in the hunt for any free agent they target.

They will be aided by the Final Eight Plan, which limits the top eight playoff finishers in free agency.

The top four (Saints, Colts, Vikings, Jets) cannot sign a free agent from another team unless they lose one themselves. The next four (Chargers, Cowboys, Cardinals, Ravens) can sign one big-money free agent before being limited to the replacement rule.

Barring franchise/transition designations, there could be several good guards available: New England’s Stephen Neal, Cincinnati’s Bobbie Williams, Tennessee’s Eugene Amano and Denver’s Russ Hochstein and Ben Hamilton.

At defensive end, Julius Peppers is the big fish. He’s 30 and can disappear at times. But he played very well for most of last season (10.5 sacks and two interceptions) and could be worth a four- or five-year deal. The problem is: He probably won’t want to leave the South.

Green Bay’s Aaron Kampman would be option No. 2 at end, but he is coming off a torn ACL.

New England’s Vince Wilfork and Pittsburgh’s Casey Hampton are both expected to be tagged franchise players, but if they aren’t, either defensive tackle could end up on the Seahawks’ radar.

Wilfork, 28, will be looking for a deal like the one Washington paid Albert Haynesworth last year—$41 million guaranteed in a seven-year, $100 million deal. Hampton, 32, wouldn’t cost nearly as much.

One guy the Seahawks might consider is Minnesota running back Chester Taylor. The 30-year-old has low mileage since most of his career has been spent as a backup, behind Jamal Lewis in Baltimore and now behind Adrian Peterson in Minnesota.

Taylor has just 1,028 carries, fewer than half of fellow 30-year-old LaDainian Tomlinson’s 2,880.

In his one season as a franchise rusher, for Minnesota in 2006, Taylor ran for 1,216 yards and six touchdowns, with a 4-yard average. He also can catch the ball very well, with at least 40 receptions in four of the past five years.

He also has killed Seattle. He busted off a 95-yard touchdown run as part of a169-yard day in 2006, and he had 85 total yards in the Vikings’ 35-9 wipeout in 2009.

If the Hawks thought Taylor fit their zone running scheme, he would be a nice temporary upgrade over Julius Jones.

Of course, if many fans have their way, the Seahawks will draft Clemson’s C.J. Spiller in the first round.

But the draft is still two months away. Free agency starts in three weeks. And the Seahawks will need to solve questions at receiver (Burleson?) and kicker (Mare?) and bolster their lines and secondary, if possible.

But their options will be determined by how other teams deal with the new rules. They’ll know part of the answer on Feb. 25 and the rest of it on March 4.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-seahawks-face-free-agency-what-will-they-do

Feb 14, 2004
A little Q & A

It has been awhile since we’ve dipped into the mailbag to answer readers’ questions.

It’s a new year – with a new coach (Pete Carroll), a new general manager (John Schneider) and a new outlook – so here goes.

Q: Many of the questions center on the April NFL draft and who the Seahawks might select with the sixth and 14th picks in the first round. So we’ll try to tackle them in one response. William in Virginia says it would be “crazy” for the team to go defensive line and running back in the first round, as many “experts” are predicting, when he sees a greater need for a quarterback. Jake in Monroe also wants a quarterback at No. 6. But Seattle Stoneback in Las Vegas doesn’t like the idea of a QB with the first pick, but wonders who might be selected and what impact that player will have. Ben in Memphis wants to know what the chances are of drafting a QB; Rexphil in Hawaii is wondering if a QB will be drafted; and Scott in Cedar Falls, Iowa, asks who we think the team should draft

A: Sorry to go GM on you, but the Seahawks’ selections in the first round will be based more on value than need. That will be a difficult rule to follow, giving the number of needs, but John Schneider is well aware the reaching to fill a need is the best way to waste a pick. The BPA (best player available) formula is one Schneider formulated while working for Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson in Green Bay, Mike Holmgren in Seattle and Marty Schottenheimer in Kansas City and Washington.

I know fans cringe – or worse – when they hear BPA, because they want this player or a player at that position. But the BPA approach is tested, and usually true. When BPA and need intersect, all the better.

This is a critical draft for the Seahawks, for multiple reasons. First, they hold the sixth, 14th and 40th picks. As stated, they have numerous needs in a rebuilding process that likely will take more than one year, and one draft. And, they cannot afford to make a mistake.

So who will they select? The names being offered at No. 6 by the “experts” in their mock drafts run from QB Sam Bradford, to defensive end Derrick Morgan, to tackle Russell Okung, to homegrown safety Taylor Mays. But it’s all speculation at this point.

Which players the Seahawks ultimately will select is what Schneider and his staff, as well as the new coaching staff, are working on right now. They’ve already had numerous meetings to evaluate the talent on the current roster. Next week, they will be in Indianapolis for the scouting combine. While the college scouts already are very familiar with these players, the coaches aren’t. As defensive coordinator Gus Bradley put it, “For us, it’s a good introduction to all the top players.”

After that “introduction,” there will be more meetings to continue ranking the players – by position, as well as from top to bottom regardless of position. The moves the team makes in free agency also will impact the decisions in the draft.

So while it’s too early to target specific players, or even positions, the Seahawks need to acquire talent as they move toward erasing the memories of back-to-back seasons that have produced a combined nine victories.

Read more here

Feb 14, 2004
Should Seahawks be interested in Brandon Marshall?

Given the persistent rumblings that disgruntled Denver Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall might be a fit for the Seattle Seahawks, there's a must-read story today in the Denver Post for anyone interested in understanding more about the controversial star.

Let's not go crazy over the Marshall trade rumors at this point, given they're mostly based on the fact that new Seahawks offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates and quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch worked with Marshall in Denver two years ago.

That, of course, doesn't assure they want to work with him again. Could just as well mean they have insights into his character that would lead them to advise against bringing him to Seattle.

But Marshall is a huge talent -- one of the absolute best receivers in the NFL -- and would give the Seahawks a breakaway threat they sorely need. He's also made it clear he wants out of Denver.

Whether there's a legitimate chance of Marshall coming here or not, it's well worth reading this piece by Mike Klis in the Post as he explains how the murder of teammate Darrent Williams three years ago affected Marshall.

Read more here...

Feb 14, 2004
Pete Carroll’s background in recruiting college players, and coaching against them, gives the Seahawks’ new coach a ‘head start’ at this week’s scouting combine

During his introductory news conference, new general manager John Schneider was asked if the Seahawks would have an advantage in the NFL draft because of Pete Carroll.
After all, the team’s first-year coach spent the past nine years at the University of Southern California, so Carroll recruited many of the players now in the NFL and coached against even more.

“I think it’s going to be huge,” Schneider said. “You’re talking about a man that’s accomplished a ton in college football and has been recruiting top-notch football players.”

Carroll, who was sitting at the same table with Schneider, then told a story about unpacking the first box as he was moving into his office at the Seahawks’ headquarters. In it was a notebook that included a list of 23 recruits – four who ended up being first-round draft choices, including former USC running back Reggie Bush; and five who went in the second round.

“For awhile, we’ll have an advantage a little bit with the kids coming up,” Carroll conceded.

Carroll and Schneider will get no argument from Mike Mayock, draft analyst for the NFL Network.

“I think what Pete Carroll has is a head start over most of the other head coaches in the NFL,” Mayock said Tuesday during a conference call interview to promo the network’s coverage of the scouting combine that begins Wednesday in Indianapolis.

“He comes out of the college ranks. He knows his team. He knows the Pac-10 intimately. Most of the head coaches around the league don’t even get involved in the draft until the seasons are over, and then they get brought up to speed by their GM.”

Not Carroll. He walked into the building last month already in the fast lane.

Of the 329 players invited to the combine this year, 11 played for Carroll at USC last year: running backs Stafon Johnson and Joe McKnight, wide receiver Damian Williams, tight end Anthony McCoy, tackle Charles Brown, guard Alex Parsons, center Jeff Byers, defensive ends Everson Griffen, cornerbacks Josh Pinkard and Kevin Thomas and safety Taylor Mays.

Last year, four USC linebackers were taken in the first 104 picks – Brian Cushing (15th by the Houston Texans), Clay Matthews (26th by the Green Bay Packers), Rey Maualuga (38th by the Cincinnati Bengals) and Kaluka Maiava (104th by the Cleveland Browns). Seven other Trojans also were drafted, including quarterback Mark Sanchez with the fifth pick overall by the New York Jets.

In 2007, 10 Trojans were drafted, including three in the first round – defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis (No. 7 by the New Orleans Saints), linebacker Keith Rivers (No. 9 by the Cincinnati Bengals) and tackle Sam Baker (No. 21 by the Atlanta Falcons).

You get the picture.

“We’ve been in the realm of evaluating the kinds of guys that we want, and I’m hoping that that insight and that experience that we’ve had – and also our approach to playing young guys – is something I know John was excited about,” Carroll said.

“To give you an insight, most head coaches in the league are really concerned about playing rookies. That’s been classic that that’s the way they’ve gone. But in the years I was at SC, when I kind of became in charge of the personnel, we centered on a philosophy of forcing our young guys to play, and making them show us who they are and where they fit in in the efforts of finding out who were the championship kids that might be only on your campus for a month.”

It’s an advantage in the parody process that is the NFL which the Seahawks must exploit.

“I think his knowledge of past draft picks – how well or how poorly they did in the draft – and this year’s class will help,” Mayock said.

Mayock has an obvious take on just who the Seahawks should take with the sixth and 14th picks in the first round: a left tackle to replace Walter Jones and a quarterback to eventually replace Matt Hasselbeck.

“I think they’re going to end up taking a left tackle with their pick at six, and I think they need to,” he said. “When you come back around at 14, then you’ve got to ask yourself a couple different questions: How long is Hasselbeck going to play? If (Notre Dame’s Jimmy) Clausen’s available, are you looking at Clausen?”

But Mayock also said a defensive end “makes an awful lot of sense” at No. 14, adding that Georgia Tech’s Derrick Morgan would provide value as well as meeting a need.

“Do they have to look at running back and safety? Yeah, they do,” he said. “But I think offensive tackle and somebody to rush the passer ought to be prominent among those first three picks (they also have the 40th pick overall in the second round).”

Mayock was then asked about the Seahawks considering a “franchise” quarterback with one of their first-round picks – either Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford or Clausen.

“I think they have to,” he said. “And I say that every year about the higher picks and teams that need quarterbacks. Hasselbeck (will be 35 in September), he has been injured. You’ve got to – especially with a new regime, with Carroll and Schneider – sit there and close the door and say, ‘OK, if one of these two guys, or both of these guys, are franchise quarterbacks and they’re sitting there at six and 14, do we pull the trigger at either level for a quarterback.

“That’s the first decision those two guys have to make with the door closed.”

Schneider’s take? He’s not closing the door to any avenue that will upgrade the talent level on the Seahawks’ roster.

But regardless of which players the Seahawks take at six, 14 and even 40, it’s a safe bet that Carroll already has a book on them.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...nnection/1df72e08-402b-46bb-9ea4-2444bf46e054

Feb 14, 2004
Seattle uses franchise tag on K Olindo Mare

RENTON, Wash. -- In each of the last two preseasons, the Seattle Seahawks decided to provide Olindo Mare some competition.

And both times the veteran kicker came out ahead. Now, Mare is getting rewarded.

The Seahawks announced Wednesday they will use their franchise tag to retain control of Mare, the second time in recent seasons Seattle has used the tag on a kicker. Seattle used the tag on Josh Brown after the 2006 season.

As a result, the 36-year-old Mare will receive a tender for the average salary of the top five kickers in the NFL - $2.8 million - or a 20 percent salary increase.

"We are excited to assure Olindo remains with the team," Seattle general manager John Schneider said in a statement. "It is important to have continuity in the kicking game."

Mare is coming off the finest season of his career despite Seattle's struggles. He made 24 of 26 kicks, ranking third in the NFL in percentage, and is now 48 for 53 in his two seasons with the Seahawks. Mare finished the season making a franchise record 21 straight attempts and added 22 touchbacks on kickoffs, fifth in the league.

But his job was thought to be in jeopardy after a Week 3 loss to Chicago, where Mare suffered both of his misses - both inside 43 yards. He was then called out publicly immediately after the 25-19 loss by former coach Jim Mora

"No excuses ... You've got to make those kicks, especially when you're in a game like this kicking and fighting and scratching and playing your tail off and you miss those kicks," a terse Mora said in postgame comments Sept. 27. "Not acceptable. Not acceptable. Absolutely not acceptable."

"We'll look at making a change everywhere. We're not going to fight our (rears) off and have a field goal kicker go out there and miss two field goals and lose a game."

A day later, Mora regretted the outburst. And it's good for Seattle that a change never came. Mare was perfect the rest of the season, his 13th in the NFL.

His 92.3 percent success rate on field goals this season was the highest of a highly accurate 13-year career for the 1999 Pro Bowl selection with Miami. Mare left the Dolphins following the 2006 season as their all-time scoring leader, then had one injury-filled season in New Orleans before he resurrected his career with Seattle.

http://www.seattlepi.com/football/2020ap_fbn_seahawks_mare.html

Feb 14, 2004
I was heated after the Bears game this past season, and said some negative things about Olindo. But he was perfect after that game. And I have to say that I'm kind of glad the team used the franchise tag on him. The team pretty much is set at the kicker and punter positions. Hopefully Olindo still has all of those kickoff touchbacks in him.

Nate Burleson was another possible candidate, but the franchise tag for wide receivers is a pricey $9.5 million.

Quarterbacks: $16,405,000
Defensive Ends: $12,398,000
Offensive Linemen: $10,731,000
Linebackers: $9,680,000
Cornerbacks: $9,566,000
Wide Receivers: $9,521,000
Running Backs: $8,156,000
Defensive Tackles: $7,003,000
Safeties: $6,455,000
Tight Ends: $5,908,000
Punters/Kickers: $2,814,000

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/195733.asp