OLD BAY AREA or NEW BAY AREA

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 8, 2002
myspace
To even call yourself the New Bay sounds gay. And then to really ask which one sounds better...come on. There is nothing new under the sun kids. Hit Man(R.I.P.) was hella young but he had been around for a while. Like Keak Da Sneak, for an example. The game don't change. JT started Get Low at age 17. This topic sounds like the old divide and conquer tactic. Prime aint having it. Black C told me this was coming... ~Prime Minister

Mar 17, 2003
its kinda like old school wrestling compared to new school wrestlin

of course new school wrestling is better but u gotta respect the old wrestlers cuz they paved the road and shit

of course the new rappin is better cuz the beats slap way harder they aint just made from drums and keyboards. and people aint really trippin what subjects artists rap about on songs nowadays. back in the day if someone heard yuk dissin g-unit the media would be like "that is unacceptable lets take this guy to court"

yada?

Dec 3, 2004
www.ap9online.com
nothin wrong with tryin to get some radio play. i ask all my artists to please try to make atleast a few radio friendly songs. i got AP-9 in the lab right now workin on a love song. i'm sure it will be gangsta but no cussing. you can get cuss words on the radio... lesson 1, lesson 2 is make nice hooks

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
I like ALOT of the new stuff....However I can honestly say we were MUCH more original in the early-mid 90's....We had our own sound where as now alot (NOT all) of the new shit is tryin to mimic either the Dirty South or Kanye type of songs in hopes of getting radio play....But thank god we got cats like Rick Rock and Sean T who keep producin bangers that are TRULY BAY AREA

Aug 2, 2005
dj pimp said:
i got AP-9 in the lab right now workin on a love song.
DJ Pimp are u AP's manager? i need to get at him for a verse.
Who else do you manage or do you just speak for alot of people?

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
What I love is when I'll shoot some beats to an artist....and they say some of them are "too Bay Area"....WTF is THAT SHIT???? I doubt when cats get a beat from Lil Jon they tell em "Nahh dog that shit is too Southern".....

We're not gonna get ANYWHERE copying what other regions do...point blank

Aug 8, 2005
SSProductionz said:
the Old bay is sound better, The new "club" sound everyone trying to come with aint the bay
we just trying to follow in the footsteps of other areas thats doing it big, we gotta come with something new, Fuck the club sound that aint the bay, we need to go back to the Mobb beats we are known for
THATS exactly what i was trying to say, theres no more hard bay music coming out, all just club music, nothin to smoke or put in some work too

Dec 26, 2004
I like the old sound first N still gettin the early music too. Im jus now getting use to the sound N style The Bay ahs created N the new sound, peoples can come out really different these days that I get confused. It dont matter to me as long its from THE BAY.

Jun 16, 2005
I like the old bay i dont like all this new hyphy shit i like it when 40 and short were puttin out classics and i liked it because they still had rappin ron r.i.p

May 10, 2002
Personally i do not like a lot of this hyphy shit like the federation, they garbage to me but theres still a lot of shit coming out that i thinks dope just not that hyphy bullshit, I will always choose a mobbish beat over a new sounding beat but some of these new sounding beats be sounding clean as fuck. All i know is most albums that came out before 98 or so damn near the whole thing would be tight didnt matter who the artist was, now its lucky to hear five dope tracks on a album, but i gotta say im started to see a major improvement within these past 2 years, bay rappers are starting to step there game up.

Dec 2, 2003
It seems like the WHOLE Bay has reinvinted itself. People like what they like, but that doesn't make the alternate wrong. I personally like the SOME of the old shit and SOME of the new shit. I like Turf Talk andThe Frontline the most out of the new artist because of the album cuts, not just the singles on the radio. Keak is getting better IMO and so is Quinn. It's funny when people say "this or that ain't Bay"...What? are we talking about the same Bay that had Hammer and Too$hort reppin Oakland at the exact same time (and mind you none of that was mobb music)? That's the thing about the Bay that's tight you can have extreme diversity in the music. Truth be told the youngstas set the trends and they diggin the up tempo New Bay sound...does that make it right no, does it make it wrong no...it's an opinion. When they get older they will defend what they grew up lovin just like cats on here defending what they listened to growin up or heard from there older brother, friend or cousin. To say "it ain't Bay" and you got cats from 40, Keak and Mess to Turf Talk, The Frontline and The Team all workin in the same boat at the same time in the Bay as it tries to come back up is foolish.

Dec 2, 2003
FrontLine0211 said:
I think rappers are coming out with too many songs too quick now in the bay,
Now that I agree with, but you got to feel them. They probally feel like "we might not ever get radio again so, fuck it...I gotta to try to get in now" They tryin to transfer there street music to the main stream. The difference is now EVERY BODY has a potna with pro-tools so making songs and mixtapes is a hell of alot easier. This means more rappers which means more bullshit, but that doesn't mean that some of that shit ain't hot. Plus back in the "golden era" of Bay music mothafuckas had major label deals so the sound quality was on a major label level. I think that artist like The Team, TurfTalk, The Frontline, Done Deal and Keak once given the funding and label support will do major damage in the industry. Plus that is a diverse bunch...none of them sound alike, they all got they own sound and they still all hot from the Bay. The Bay is just now seeming like they (they meaning the general public, not die hard Bay fans) are willing to show support. KMEL is doing a great job with showing the rest of the country that they are standing behind there artist. Trust me other top 5 markets in this country don't play this much unsighned local talent. It is only a matter of time before the rest of the country catches on.

Apr 22, 2005
so is the "hyphy movement" the new version of what compilation's used to be?

cuz everybody can make a simple ass beat with hard kicks and say some shit about scrapers and shakin dreads now.I hope someone put that funk back into our music cuz thats what gave us that mobb sound

I dont know bout rick rocks direction with his "hyphy" beats tho,I dont want that to be the blueprints for how we should sound cuz some of it (esp do the on one)almost sounds like some tecno hip-hop shit even tho some of them can get you goin dumb it still doesnt quite feel right.I think folks should just make whatever they want and as long as its slappin and the lyrics is AT LEAST decent then it should fall into that hyphy category.It seems like a lot of folks is followin rick with the use of (and sometimes over use of)synth sounds tho but like I said,hopefully someone brings that funk back.we need more hard ass bass lines

Apr 22, 2005
oh yeah and folks need to stop sleepin on the rest of REALLY GOOD Bay music like Zion I and The Coup and them folks cuz if this were the early 90's and folks was sleepin like they are now,folks like Digital Undergound may have never got shine