My roommate...and a question?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
I was sweatin so bad waitin for my roommate. I had no idea who he would be, and i was scared we would have absolutely nothing in common. Finally he called me, and we talked for a little bit. I learned a lot about him, but the time came when i asked the all important question:

"What kind of music do you like?"

When he told me he listened to rap, i was relieved. But then i pushed further.

"Who are your favorite artists?"

It took him a while to answer, not being able to think of his favorites offhand. Finally he settled for DMX and Ja Rule.

I suppose that i should at least be happy with the fact that he and i enjoy the same genre of music, but when he told me about DMX I was really disappointed. Am I expecting too much from my room mate? Are those of us on the Siccness the only ones who know what good music is all about?

And i don't just mean Bay Area. There are a lot of good artists outside of the bay like Do or Die, Bone, [insert favorite artist here]. I have just always felt that if you list DMX or Ja Rule as your favorite artists, you aren't a true fan of rap.

Am i forever doomed to live my life knowing the potential for hip hop, and all the while being forced to listen to the shit they play on the radio? Will i forever have to suffer through the fact that my favorite music is commercialized? Will i always have to be embarassed when i list "rap" as my favorite type of music, given its shitty state in today's world?

I guess i'm not asking a specific question at all, but it is obvious i don't have any answers. Just list your feedback or comments on this. Its been bothering me for a while.

May 3, 2002
This is not bad at all. If he takes rap serious, you can show him the underground scene and he'll like it. If he only listens to rap because it's the "cool" thing to listen to, you can bet he won't get into the underground shit; unless it's some commercial-sounding shit.

Kyle

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
don't worry about it, man. i know lots of real motherfuckas who just listen to mainstream rap, i don't listen to that shit like they do but they're cool people anyways

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Yeah, but if we're living together, i won't be able to handle mainstream rap for more than a few days. And if he's only into trendy shit, and doesn't respect actual rap music, he won't want to listen to my shit.

I'd have to beat his ass.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Originally posted by TRAGIC LOSSES
HE MAY LIKE UNDERGROUND TOO BUT WASN'T SURE IF YOU DID.....SO HE TOLD YOU SOME MAINSTREAM NAMES TO SATISFY YOU....
Yeah, but that would make him a bitch too.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Originally posted by Kyle
yeah, DMX at his best, aint bad at all
I agree. Its dark and hell is hot is a great CD. And i like a lot of DMX's deeper stuff. But he also has hella bad songs.

Jun 25, 2002
dmx's best works are'nt played on the radio thank God

i agree, i think you will be able to influence him to get down w/the underground & shit...i mean if he likes x & rule then at least that's a basis, now you just need to open his mind to REAL rap music, none of that party shit...

that or just brainwash him

Jul 26, 2002
I'm not sure if you've ever had a roomate before but I think your worries should be somewhere else ....... Will he pay the rent? Will you guys get along other then music as in will he clean up after himself .....

I rarely listened to underground rap before I met my guy ... I listen to it alot more I'm sure if he likes rap you can show him around and he'll start to like the things you like ... introduce him to the underground stuff if he doesn't know much about it.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
why dont you look at it the other way around. maybe you can learn to appreciate "commercial" music. underground doesnt mean good. open your ears and be honest with yourself. dmx is tight. im sorry but i think people got issues when they only listen to underground, and go out of there way to hate anything with popularity. makes me wonder about them as a person. is it really just the music? or does that hatred toward mainstream symbolize deeper issues you have yet to resolve outside of your music lifestyle?

ALEX

Sicc OG
Jun 29, 2002
DMX put out 2 TIGHT ASS albums (i only got his 1st adn 2nd cd's).

DMX is a better rapper/lyricist than lynch all day everyday.
All i hear from Lynch is violence violence violence, hes nuthin but a skinny bitch violent ass niccaa period.

And WOODIE? last i seen and heard he was a whiteboy tryin to be a norteno. this fool actin SILLY!

Oh yea i got Ja Rules venni venni venti vecci album, it gots 2 tight cuts.

Just cus theyre a popular commercial rapper dont mean they suck. You dont think DMX was doin the underground shit b4 he got on def jam?

^just dropped some knowledge so think about that but you probly wont.:chinese: