MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce Challengers Lands On UK Television For Free In 2011

Mixed martial arts fans in the U.K. may not have a Strikeforce or UFC live event on tap any time in the near future, but they will soon be getting more MMA on the telly.

British network Primetime (channel 480 on Sky) is making a play to become the broadcast home of U.K. MMA. Primetime announced on Monday that the network will air all Strikeforce Challengers events in 2011 for free in the U.K.

Primetime’s Challengers broadcasts begin with Strikeforce Challengers 15, which features a main event pitting Justin Wilcox against Rodrigo Damm in the main event. Strikeforce Challengers 15 airs for free at 7 p.m. on April 2 on channel 480 on Sky.

Primetime has also secured the rights to air the Strikeforce World Grand Prix Heavyweight Tournament on pay-per-view on Sky and Virgin TV.

Feb 7, 2006
Tyson Jeffries Gunning for Vacant M-1 Middleweight Title

Not only will the March 25 M-1 Challenge event be the first exposure for the company on a major American pay network, it will also be the first time middleweight title contender Tyson Jeffries gets major television exposure.

While it would be easy for a fighter to become overwhelmed by such circumstances, Jeffries doesn’t seem to be showing any symptoms of such.

“I feel blessed and honored to be part of M-1,” he told MMAWeekly.com. “To have them broadcast on Showtime is amazing to me. It’s my first national broadcast fighting in front of everybody.

“I’m just taking it all in and am just really focused on the fight and am readier than ever.”

After having some difficulty at the beginning of his career, Jeffries managed to right the ship last year – he’s on a three-fight winning streak – en route to winning M-1’s Selections America tournament with the help of his Team Quest trainers.

“To be honest, it was just my training schedule that’s been different,” admitted Jeffries. “I’ve put in the time my last few fights and just taking it a little more seriously than before. These last few fights I’ve progressed and got the discipline I needed to develop as a fighter and a man.

“I’ve been focusing on controlling the range, controlling the pace of the fight, sprinting when I need to and wrestling when I have to. Just focusing on getting on top and grinding the guy out – that’s our style, that’s what we do – and I’ve been working with the best guys at it.”

When he steps back into the ring for M-1 in Norfolk, Va., on March 25, he will be going after the promotion’s vacant middleweight championship. Standing in his way is top contender , who will be making his second attempt at procuring the title.

“I know what he’s capable of,” said Jeffries. “He’s a hard hitter, he sits in the pocket, likes the hard kicks, and wants to keep it standing or get on top. As for me, I’m just going to try to get on top and grind him out. I’m not really worried about him. I just know what I’ve got to do.”

While Matt Lindland is known for his wrestling prowess, Jeffries credits him for helping develop a striking style he hopes will be able to counter Sultanakhmedov’s.

“I’ve been working my angles and moving my feet and not staying in one spot,” commented Jeffries. “The only time I get hit is when I stand right in front of the guy and wait for him to move, so we’ve been working on moving my feet, cutting angles and executing the takedown.”

As Jeffries notes, not only is this a fight for a title in a major promotion, it is also an important part of his development as a fighter.

“This is my right of passage,” he stated. “This is my next step. Magomed is my next barrier, and I’ve got to bust through him.

“I want to excel in this sport and make a name for myself. As long as I fight the toughest guys, take the toughest fights, and give my all and fight my hardest, I’ll be right where I need to be.”

While he’s still a young, developing fighter, Jeffries can prove such things have no bearing on the summits he’s able to conquer, starting with the M-1 middleweight tile on March 25.

“I just want to thank Dirty Boxer; Mike Dolce and DolceDiet.com; Team Quest and my coaches: Ryan Schultz, Matt Lindland and Chael Sonnen; and all my friends, family and fans for supporting me,” he concluded.

“It doesn’t matter, win, lose or draw, as long as I go out there and focus on putting on a good performance and impose my will, everything will work out in the end.”

Feb 7, 2006
Brandon Vera Excited About Second Life with UFC, Ready To Fight Whenever

There may not be a much lower point in a fighter’s career than when they get the call that the UFC has released them from their contract.

To that same point, there may not be a better feeling of elation than getting the call to come back just a few weeks later.

Those are the highs and lows that light heavyweight Brandon Vera felt over the last several months, but now he’s back in the UFC and ready to begin his second life.

Following his loss to Thiago Silva in January, Vera was released from the UFC. Overall, Vera went 7-6, but closed out his UFC career on a three fight losing streak.

The release didn’t last long however after his last opponent Thiago Silva got caught up in a possibly positive drug test for their fight, and while Silva is still awaiting word from the Nevada State Athletic Commission for the results of his testing, Vera was given new life by the UFC.

“He is excited to fight, whenever they are ready for him,” Vera’s manager Matt Stansel told MMAWeekly.com about his fighter’s return to UFC action.

The California based fighter is still healing up from injuries sustained in the fight with Silva and his manager stated ‘almost’ when asked about a timeline for his return to action.

With a renewed lease on his UFC life, Vera will undoubtedly have a lot of pressure on him when he returns, but now that he’s tasted, even if only for a moment, what life outside the UFC is like, he will fight for his right to stay there.

Feb 7, 2006
Tatsuya Kawajiri Still Set To Face Gilbert Melendez in Strikeforce April 9

Tatsuya Kawajiri will still be facing Gilbert Melendez on April 9 with the Strikeforce lightweight title on the line.

Japan has been an uncertain place over the past couple of weeks since the tragic earthquake that struck the island has now claimed over 9,000 lives with more than 13,000 people still missing.

The tragedy has affected everyone in Japan on some level, and UFC middleweight Yoshihiro Akiyama opted to stay home and not fight at UFC 128 last weekend after the situation in his home country.

Strikeforce officials confirmed with MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday however that Kawajiri will still participate on the April 9 show.

Kawajiri, who trains with the T-Blood team in Japan, enters the fight in April after dispatching of former Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson at the New Year’s Eve show in Japan to close out 2010.

This will be the second time Kawajiri has faced Melendez as well. The pair first met while in Pride in late 2006, with Melendez coming out on top by unanimous decision.

Kawajiri will undoubtedly compete with a purpose and a heavy heart as he fights for Japan when he faces Melendez in April.

Feb 7, 2006
Horn-Leites Added to April 30 Superior Challenge Bill

Following today’s announcement that Rich Clementi will face Reza Madadi for the vacant lightweight title at Superior Challenge 7, another championship bout has been added to the Swedish promotion’s April 30 card.

UFC veterans Jeremy Horn and Thales Leites have agreed to square off for the vacant Superior Challenge middleweight belt at the event, which goes down at the Hovet arena in Stockholm. Sherdog.com learned of the matchup Tuesday and confirmed the bout with a source close to the event.

One of the sport’s most respected veterans, Horn has been fighting professionally since 1996 and has 112 pro bouts to his credit. “Gumby” made his UFC debut in 1998 and most recently fought for the promotion in 2009, dropping a unanimous decision to Rousimar Palhares at UFC 93.

Since being cut by the UFC, Horn has won seven of eight fights, earning victories over fellow UFC vet Sean Salmon and former Bellator talent Jason Guida. The 35-year-old owns 58 of his 87 career wins by submission and has been knocked out only twice in 15 years of competition.

A black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Leites made his UFC debut as an undefeated middleweight prospect in November 2006. After suffering the first loss of his career to dangerous Dane Martin Kampmann, the Brazilian rattled off five straight victories over the next 18 months to earn a shot at UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva in April 2009. After five rounds of cat-and-mouse antics from the dominant champion, “The Spider” was awarded a unanimous decision.

Leites was bounced from the promotion following his defeat to Alessio Sakara in August 2009. Since that time, the Nova Uniao product has gone 4-1, losing only to former International Fight League champion Matt Horwich in that span. Most recently, Leites earned a second-round submission over hometown favorite Tor Troeng at Superior Challenge 6 in October.

Feb 7, 2006
Spike TV draws 1.3 million viewers for UFC 128 "UFC Prelims" special

Despite airing head-to-head with coverage of college basketball's "March Madness," this past Saturday's "UFC Prelims" special drew an average audience of 1.3 million viewers.

This past weekend's one-hour special, which featured two live bouts from the "UFC 128: Shogun vs. Jones" event and preceded the March 19 card's pay-per-view broadcast, scored a 0.85 household rating.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today learned of the figures from industry sources.

The ratings mark a sharp rebound from February's UFC 127 special, which aired on ION Television and netted a series-low 714,000 viewers.

This past week's one-hour UFC 128 special featured Luiz Cane earning a first-round TKO over Eliot Marshall, as well as an exciting lightweight contest between Edson Barboza and Anthony Njokuani, which earned the evening's "Fight of the Night" award.

UFC 128 also featured two fights streaming live on Facebook.com, though the promotion did not reveal the number of online viewers who tuned in.

To date, Spike TV has aired 15 "UFC Prelims" broadcasts. UFC 128's tied for ninth all-time with 1.3 million viewers. The all-time record for viewership was set in February when 2 million viewers tuned into a "UFC Prelims" special for UFC 126.

The full list of "UFC Prelims" broadcasts and ratings as compiled by MMAjunkie.com includes:

* 1) UFC 126 (February 2011): 2 million viewers
* 2) UFC 109 (February 2010): 1.7 million viewers
* 3) UFC 114 (May 2010): 1.6 million viewers
* 4) UFC 108 (January 2010): 1.5 million viewers
* 4) UFC 121 (October 2010): 1.5 million viewers
* 4) UFC 123 (November 2010): 1.5 million viewers
* 7) UFC 104 (October 2009): 1.4 million viewers
* 7) UFC 103 (September 2009): 1.4 million viewers
* 9) UFC 128 (March 2011): 1.3 million viewers
* 9) UFC 119 (September 2010): 1.3 million viewers
* 9) UFC 116 (July 2010): 1.3 million viewers
* 9) UFC 115 (June 2010): 1.3 million viewers
* 9) UFC 106 (November 2009): 1.3 million viewers
* 14) UFC 111 (March 2010): 1.2 million viewers
* 15) UFC 118 (August 2010): 1.1 million viewers
* 16) UFC 125 (January 2011): 829,000 viewers*
* 17) UFC 127 (February 2011): 714,000 viewers*

* - Aired on ION Television

The UFC first offered a PPV teaser broadcast for UFC 103, when the UFC went head-to-head on Spike TV with a boxing PPV broadcast featuring Floyd Mayweather vs. Juan Manuel Marquez. The specials proved effective enough at generating last-minute PPV buys that officials from the UFC and the organization's longtime cable partner decided to make them a regular offering.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Fight Night 24's Nogueira prepped to stop "Mr. Wonderful's" wild ride

A lot of fighters would have done a spit-take in getting a younger, faster (and many would say better) version of the opponent they were booked against.

Not Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (19-4 MMA, 2-1 UFC). Previously set to meet former champion Tito Oritz, he now meets Phil Davis (8-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC), who many observers think is a future star in the light-heavyweight division.

Nogueira, though, thinks they're just about the same.

"This fight is just as tough as it would have been with Tito," Nogueira said of his next appearance, which headlines UFC Fight Night 24 on Saturday at Seattle's KeyArena and airs live on Spike TV. "Any fight is a tough fight."

Those are words for any fighter to live by in this unpredictable sport. But there's not a difference between a guy who's undefeated in the octagon and a guy who hasn't won in almost five years?

Ortiz, who withdrew from Saturday's fight this past month when he sustained a deep cut in training, is 0-4-1 in the last half-decade. The last person he beat was Ken Shamrock. Still, Ortiz remains a polarizing figure in the sport and has the marquee appeal to headline an event.

Davis doesn't draw the same way – he's still a baby in the sport with three years of pro experience under his belt – but a lot of people think he's the next big thing. He's a former NCAA wrestling champion, a creative grappler, and his striking is, well, getting there.

"They're about at the same level right now in the division [I'm] in," Nogueira said through translator Derek Lee.

Whether the Brazilian is supremely confident, delightfully out of touch, or slow-playing his new opponent is open to debate. He's agreed to the fight, and he has to put himself in the right frame of mind.

"You change your opponent and you've changed your focus in a fight," Nogueira told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) through an interpreter. "So, it's definitely a different state of mind."

But Nogueira can claim a deeper understanding of Davis' capabilities because the two have actually worked together in Southern California.

"[We] trained not too long ago, and thought he was a very tough guy," Nogueira said. "He's very strong in wrestling, (and has) very strong ground skills. He was overall a pretty strong fighter."

It also doesn't hurt that Nogueira's previous two opponents, Jason Brilz and Ryan Bader, were strong wrestlers and forced him to bring that part of his game up to par with his striking. It's a work in progress.

"That's something had to work on in the training," Nogueira said.

Boxing and submission skills is where it gets interesting for "Little Nog." And he's got a heap of high-level experience on his side. Will those be enough to stop his younger opponent's most dangerous weapon?

No problem, says Nogueira.

Feb 7, 2006
"The Salamander Key," featuring Fedor Emelianenko, opens March 25 in Moscow

Fedor Emelianenko (31-3 MMA, 1-2 SF) may not be the world's top heavyweight anymore, but there's another place for his icy demeanor.

The silver screen.

Emelianenko co-stars in "The Salamander Key" alongside Michael Madsen and Rutger Hauer. The film debuts Friday in Moscow, the same day Emelianenko's management team, M-1 Global, holds its first Showtime-televised event, "M-1 Challenge 24: Damkovsky vs. Figueroa," in Norfolk, Va.

The heavyweight shot the movie way back in October 2008 as a prepared for a bout against Andrei Arlovski at "Affliction: Day of Reckoning." Gegard Mousasi and others were flown out to help him prepare on the movie's set in Thailand.

The action flick centers on group of international scientists who disappear on a remote island in Southeastern Asia while conducting advanced medical research. Emelianenko plays a member of a team sent to rescue the scientists, who have uncovered an evil plot that could destroy the world.

Emelianenko's manager and M-1 Global president Vadim Finkelchtein is a co-producer on the movie, as well as M-1 executive Sergei Matvienko.

There's no word on whether the film will be released outside of Russia, though its inevitable that copies will leak on the Internet.

As for the heavyweight's fighting career, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker recently told HDNet that a return is likely for July or August.

Feb 7, 2006
Released from UFC, Todd Brown contemplating move to middleweight

After an unsuccessful two-fight run in the octagon, Indiana native Todd Brown (15-3) has been released by the world's largest mixed martial arts promotion.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed Brown's recent UFC release with his management at MMAAgents.

However, the 5-foot-11 light heavyweight eyes a return to the bigtime, and he's considering a drop to 185 pounds to do it.

"Bulldog" made his UFC debut in August 2010 at UFC 117. With just two weeks' notice, Brown stepped for an injured Thiago Silva and lost a unanimous decision to Tim Boetsch. The loss snapped a seven-fight win streak for Brown.

The Bulldog Fight Team member was given a reprieve earlier this month with a booking against Igor Pokrajac. Brown ran into a buzzsaw in the Croatian, who utilized a devastating knee strike and a flurry of punches to earn a first-round TKO at UFC on Versus 3.

Brown is expected to soon make a decision on whether his future lies in the light heavyweight or middleweight division. In the meantime, he's fielding offers from various regional promotions.

Feb 7, 2006
Murilo regrets Shogun’s loss on UFC 128

On the following day of the defeat of Mauricio Shogun Rua to Jon Jones, on UFC 128’s main event, the Brazilian Murilo Ninja Rua, brother of the now former champion of Ultimate, chatted with TATAME and commented Shogun’s defeat complimenting the American guy and betting on a stronger return of Mauricio. Check below the complete interview with Murilo Ninja, directly from New Jersey.

Were you surprised by Jon Jones’ game?

Yes, I was. My brother was training hard, but Jon Jones blocked his game wisely, and he was indeed ready for it, but Jon Jones proved, on the fight, he’s a great fighter and he’s to be congratulated. Now my brother will return to Brazil, analyzed the fight, see the mistakes he made and move on.

It’s hard to keep the belt on this weight class. Since Quinton Jackson nobody was able to defend the title, except for Lyoto, who was later beaten up by your brother. Do you think Jon Jones will keep this belt for long?

He has a bright future ahead of him, he’s young, he has a full stamina supply, he’s shinning, but on this weight division it’s pretty hard to evaluate because you can become a champion, but you can remain one after one fight, you losses it right away, but I’m sure my brother will train harder now and he’ll return better and he’ll win this belt again.

What do you think Shogun lacked in order to return to Brazil with the belt?

Actually, one of the first coups launched on him, a knee and a kick on his head, right on the beginning of the fight, finished his conditioning and it changed the course of the fight.

Do you believe Rashad can take this belt away from Jon Jones?

I don’t think so. I remember Jon Jones’ Begin on Ultimate, he was pretty young and yet a tough athlete, he’s been improving a lot his Wrestling, Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu, he’s tough, but nowadays we can’t say much about it, you never know, because if a coups hits the guy it’s complicated.

You have a fight scheduled in England in May. What are the expectations for 2011?

The expectations are good, I’m glad to fight again and this will be a very important one, because it’s worth the belt. The guys in Brazil can be sure I’ll give my whole best and I’m working hard to win this fight.

You were on a good winning streak, but you end up being defeated last time. How do you intend to win again and singing in with a big event?

I’m training hard, I’ve had a few proposals, but I’m taking it slow so I sign with a big event later. I already have a name, so I have to be on a event that worships me, with a title shot, I don’t want simply to fight, I want to have a title shot knocking on my door, that’s how I think. I leave it to my manager to deal with, so let’s see what happens, but I already have proposals in Japan, so we’ll see.

Feb 7, 2006
Fueled by fans, furied by haters, Ben Rothwell focused on spectacular UFC return

Coming home from an autograph session to a computer screen filled with insults is a jarring experience.

Welcome to the double-edged sword of fandom, a split world fighters encounter when they get to the big show. Up close and personal, they're bathed in praise. Online, where MMA lives and breathes, they're cut off at the knees at a moment's notice.

That goes double for the fighters who bring personality to the table, the ones who don't consult the public relations manual before they speak, or the ones who've decided they're better served as heels.

Heavyweight Ben Rothwell (31-7 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is upset. He has not decided to be a heel.

He calls MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and starts in about an online story about him and his road to recovery following a ruptured ACL he suffered in his most recent fight against Gilbert Yvel at UFC 115, where he won via decision. The story was fine, but then he scrolled down and saw the comments section. The basic summary: Ben Rothwell sucks.

He goes off on these faceless, largely nameless people throwing stones. Who are they? What have they done in life? What gives them the right to pass judgment?

The fact is, he's been trying to turn his life around since the injury. He's trying to eat better and carry quality muscle. He's cut out TV and video games. Actually, he's cut out just about everything that doesn't involve his betterment as a fighter. He said he's a loner; his wife is his social network.

And now these people have kicked him while he's down. He wants to stay off the Internet forever. It does nothing to wallow in negativity. He won't be the last fighter to make that decision, though it's hard to believe he won't take a peek now and again.

But he damn well knows about his cage issues more than anyone who hasn't seen things through his eyes or been in the gym with him day in and day out. He knows what he needs to do when he returns to the UFC. The knee injury brought all of that into sharp focus.

"It was like, 'Alright dude, you have to take time and re-evaluate your life and figure this out," he said. "You cannot come back looking the way you did. You cannot come back fighting the way you did. You can't, or you're going to be dust in the wind.'

"Dana White does not play games. You've got to be something, or they're going to find somebody to be something if you're not it. And I know this. Now, the question is are you going to do something about it.

"Well, finding motivation – it's all around me. It's just if I accept it or not."

He found that motivation on the other side of the sword.

"What really, really did it for me is when my knee got better, I went to Austin, (Texas) for a UFC," he said. "I'd never gone to a UFC to watch and hang out. And the response I got from the fans, I don't know a single other word to say: amazing. How cool they were to me. I've always been about the fans, but they took it to another level for me. I know without a doubt that the only reason I get to do something I love so much is the fans."

Rothwell said a lot of fighters abuse that phrase, but he really believes it, and he's trying to realign his life to please those that support him in the best way possible: a barnburner.

He can't wait to make this announcement after a win: I will stand outside this arena and sign every autograph with a smile on my face. I know I get to do this because of you.

But he needs time to get better. He's seen dozens of fighters rush back too early into competition and re-injure their knees. He wants to be 100 percent physically before he gets back into the octagon. Not only that, he wants to be a drastically better fighter than the one he's shown.

As it stands, he's 1-1 in the UFC. He was railroaded by now-champion Cain Velasquez at UFC 104, and he has a lackluster decision win over Yvel. Not exactly an excess of career capital.

Right now, he's planning to return in August and hopes to fight on the UFC on Versus 5 card rumored for Milwaukee. He's done a lot of work with the city's native kickboxing son, Duke Roufus, and that would work perfectly for a training camp.

Rothwell would like to fight Brendan Schaub, who bagged his first big game with a victory over Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic this past Saturday at UFC 128. But that's a wish, and not a plan.

The priority is getting back to speed. He's since been encouraged further by trips to UFC 119 in Indianapolis and UFC 123 in Detroit. He's met more fans that have given him the motivation to get better when there are so many ways to distract yourself.

"I feel like I buried that guy that I once was," Rothwell said.

So he's taking a full year to recover before he gets back into the cage.

"I want my opponent to crumble right and front of me and know I was not the guy he was prepared to fight," he said.

Got a problem with that?

Feb 7, 2006
Former WEC Champ Jamie Varner Books First Fight Since Zuffa Release

Former WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner has booked his first fight since being cut by Zuffa following his last fight.

Varner will meet Tyler Combs in the co-main event of XFO 39, a promotion run by former WEC title challenger Jeff Curran, who will fight in the main event against Joe Pearson. The all-pro card will take place May 13 at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, Ill., outside Chicago.

Varner has not won a fight since WEC 38 in January 2009, when he won a split decision against Donald Cerrone. That fight was stopped in the fifth round when Cerrone landed an accidental knee on the ground. When Varner couldn't continue, the fight went to the scorecards and one of MMA's biggest feuds was born.

Varner retained the WEC's lightweight title that night against Cerrone, but thanks to a broken hand in the fight, he was out of action for nearly a year. When he returned, he faced then-interim champion Ben Henderson, who submitted him in the third round with a guillotine to unify the belts. He settled for a draw against Kamal Shalorus at WEC 49 (Shalorus lost a point in that fight for low blows), lost a grudge match to Cerrone at WEC 51 and was submitted by Shane Roller at the final WEC event, WEC 53 on his home turf in Glendale, Ariz., leading to his release.

Combs (13-7-1) was scheduled to face Jorge Gurgel at the Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson event earlier this month in Columbus, but pulled out five days before the fight with an injury. Combs lost to Mike Lullo last fall; Lullo went on to a short-notice UFC debut loss to Edson Barboza. Combs' last two wins have come against Mitch Whitesel (16-20) and Jay Ellis (11-40), who has lost 12 straight fights. He also has TKO losses to UFC lightweights Erik Koch and Bart Palaszewski on his resume.

Curran (32-13-1) has won three of his last four fights since being released by the WEC following four straight losses. Those losses came in a featherweight title fight against then-champ Urijah Faber and decision losses to Mike Brown, Joseph Benavidez and Takeya Mizugaki – all one-time WEC title holders or top challengers.

Since being let go by the WEC, Curran, who has also fought in the UFC and Pride, has a Strikeforce win and a pair of wins on his own XFO show. He lost a Bellator fight in Chicago last April to Bryan Goldsby.

His opponent, Pearson (36-17-1), a veteran of the Midwest MMA scene, has lost three straight. His biggest career win came at Pride Bushido 13 in 2006, a submission win over Yoshiro Maeda. He has notable losses to UFC fighters Miguel Torres, Faber, Koch and Raphael Assuncao.

Also scheduled to fight at XFO 39 are up-and-coming female fighters Felice Herrig and Michelle Gutierrez.

Feb 7, 2006
Regardless of Odds, Davis Expecting Battle with Nogueira

When it was announced last week that Phil Davis would be replacing Tito Ortiz against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC Fight Night 24, plenty of fans did not hesitate to pick Davis to win.

Davis, a standout wrestler at Penn State, has transitioned quickly to MMA. In two years he has built an impressive 8-0 record en route to becoming one of the top prospects in the sport.

Nogueira, however, has been a top-class light heavyweight for roughly a decade. Davis isn’t so sure he should be heavily favored over the Brazilian.

“People don’t always know exactly what they’re talking about. … I, for one, am not taking this fight for granted,” Davis said recently during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. “This is a huge fight for me. As far as I’m concerned -- I don’t care what the bookmakers say -- this is a battle. But that’s what I’m used to in my career and my life. I’m used to having an uphill battle. I’m used to winning that fight.”

Davis will have a little more than a month to prepare for the March 26 matchup at the Key Arena in Seattle. He’s filled in as a replacement before, stepping up on short notice to fight Rodney Wallace last August at UFC 117. Davis won a unanimous decision, but he does not consider the bout one of his better performances.

A key difference between that bout and this one, though, is that Davis has already been in training. He had been scheduled to fight Matt Hamill on April 30.

“I was kind of geared up and kind of in fight mode, so to speak,” Davis said. “The Rodney Wallace fight took me completely by surprise. I’m a little bit more prepared this time around.”

Nogueira fought last in September, dropping a unanimous decision to Ryan Bader. While some may consider that defeat evidence that his best days are behind him, it is Nogueira’s only loss since February 2007.

“He’s obviously a legend in the sport because he’s a proven winner,” Davis said. “He’s just tough. have to go out there and just make it happen.”

Nogueira is also a major step up in competition. Just a year into his UFC tenure, Davis has a chance to beat a top-10 fighter and move into the title hunt.

“It’s a little daunting to think about, but you win because you did the right things,” he said. “I know I’ve been doing the right things.”

After already progressing so rapidly, it’s hard for Davis to see where he could be in another year. How he performs against Nogueira could be pivotal as far as launching him forward or slowing down his climb.

“A year ago, I didn’t know where I’d be. It’s silly to put a timeline on where I want to be and when because it’s just -- it will happen,” Davis said of becoming a champion. “It will happen, I’m certain of that. I’m going to just sit back and enjoy the ride. … I’m not anxious to get to that belt. It will be there waiting for me, polished up and shiny.”

Feb 7, 2006
13-Bout Tachi Palace Fights 9 Card Finalized for May 6

The dance card is full for Tachi Palace Fights 9, as the promotion on Wednesday announced the complete 13-fight bill for the May 6 event, which goes down at the Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino in Lemoore, Calif.

Headlining the show will be a flyweight scrap pitting the world-ranked Ian McCall against undefeated up-and-comer Dustin Ortiz. Another pivotal 125-pound affair has also been ratified for the show, as former two-division Shooto champion Mamoru Yamaguchi locks horns with unorthodox “Magician” John Dodson. Meanwhile, UFC veterans collide in a lightweight duel, as Efrain Escudero squares off with Fabricio Camoes.

McCall, a three-time World Extreme Cagefighting veteran, recently made waves by outpointing top-ranked Jussier “Formiga” da Silva at TPF 8 in February. The Californian has won back-to-back bouts since being cut by WEC as a bantamweight.

The man nicknamed “Uncle Creepy” made his WEC debut in 2007, knocking out Coty Wheeler at WEC 30 with only 26 seconds left in their fight. That victory would mark McCall’s first and last win inside the little blue cage, however, as the fighter was subsequently handed losses by both Charlie Valencia and current UFC bantamweight king Dominick Cruz.

Undefeated through his nascent MMA career, Ortiz has finished each of his fallen foes since turning pro one year ago. The Nashville MMA product is a two-time veteran of Strikeforce competition, most recently knocking out Matt Horning at Strikeforce Challengers 13 in January. Outside of his two Strikeforce appearances, the Tennessean has fought the entirety of his pro career in the local Gameness Fighting Championship promotion. Ortiz has three knockouts and four submission wins to his credit.

Feb 7, 2006
Bellator 37 ratings take a dip, event draws 173,000 MTV2 viewers

Facing competition from the NCAA men's basketball tournament and UFC 128's preliminary-card Facebook stream, this past weekend's Bellator 37 event drew 173,000 viewers on MTV2.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the ratings with an industry source.

Ratings took a dip from the season-high 230,000 viewers who tuned in for the first run of Bellator 36, which also drew 241,000 with its immediate replay.

Bellator 37 took place March 19 at Lucky Star Casino in Concho, Okla. The event featured the opening round of the organization's eight-man featherweight tournament, and Patricio "Pitbull" Freire, Wilson Reis, Daniel Straus and Kenny Foster advanced to the semifinals during the two-hour broadcast.

Bellator's season-four first-run ratings include:

* Bellator 35 ratings: 200,000 viewers
* Bellator 36 ratings: 230,000
* Bellator 37 ratings: 173,000

Belator's fourth season is the promotion's first to air on MTV2. The organization's first season aired on ESPN Deportes, and season two and three aired on FOX Sports Net.

Feb 7, 2006
UFN 24 co-headliner Dan Hardy: I perform better when the pressure is on

With back-to-back losses and coming off the first knockout defeat of his career, Dan Hardy finds himself in a must-win situation.

Although a crowd-pleaser whose only UFC losses have come to welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre and top-10-ranked Carlos Condit, Hardy (23-8 MMA, 4-2 UFC) knows roster spots are limited.

But as he wraps up his preparations for Saturday's UFC Fight Night 24 co-headliner with Anthony Johnson (8-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC), he's confident the pressure to perform is a good thing.

"I like to put that kind of pressure on myself because I always perform better," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) during a recent media call. "I didn't do that in my last fight, and I ended up paying the price for it."

That fight was a first-round knockout loss to ex-WEC champ Condit, which followed a lopsided title loss to St-Pierre. Three consecutive losses would spell the end of most fighters' UFC careers. Hardy may have a longer leash, but he's not banking on it.

And he said that means trouble for Johnson, whom he meets in a Spike TV-televised bout at Seattle's KeyArena.

"I've kind of put myself in a situation and mindset where I'm fighting for my job," he said. "That's the worst place that I could possibly be in for my opponents because they're going to get everything that I've got and a little bit more.

"It's going to make a big difference in the fight. And I'm going to prove that I belong in the UFC and I'm staying in the UFC."

Hardy didn't dwell on the October loss. In fact, despite a mandatory medical suspension, he said he was back in the gym a few days later and sparring again.

Hardy, who's posted knockouts in half of his career victories, never had been on the receiving end of one until Condit floored him with a left hook at UFC 120. The loss came on home soil, and it stung. But he said it hasn't shaken his confidence or made him hesitant to pull the trigger.

But he said he's not about to pretend it never happened.

"I think it's important to see where you come from," he said. "I mean, I can't learn from my mistakes unless I'm kind of still living in that moment sometimes. As soon as the fight was over, as soon as my last fight was done, that Monday morning, I was back in the gym and sparring on Tuesday.

"I was just beginning to see [the fight footage] back in there. I was annoyed that I let myself down and let my fans down. ... Looking back, I'm continuously reminding myself the mistakes I made last year. It is motivating me for this year, and I'm just going to make sure that, you know, 2011 is completely different."

That's why he won't change his fighting style anytime soon. His ground game is still a work in progress, and he hasn't ended a fight via true submission in nearly four years. So he'll stick to what led him to two Cage Warriors titles and an eventual UFC contract: his hands.

"As long as the fans are enjoying watching me fight, then I'm always going to have a place to punch people," he said. "I don't want to be the guy ... who got paid and wouldn't fight. That's not the kind of guy I am because I have a similar mentality to a lot of fans. If I'm getting bored (watching an event), I'm like, 'OK, I'm going to run to the toilet until the next fight comes on.'

"It's like I need to be entertained. I mean, there are people in England staying up till like 3 a.m. to watch me fight. So I don't want a boring fight because I'll get [expletive] back in the gym."

One weapon Hardy took out of his arsenal for this fight is his usual trash-talking. The 28-year-old knows how to hype a fight, and his sound bites had become the stuff of legend.

But against Johnson, a friend and former training partner, he knows it'd do little good anyway.

"Anthony never bites to that kind of stuff," he said. "He's a pretty chill guy. So I've just invested the energy into the training camp instead, and I'll just do my talking on Saturday night."

Feb 7, 2006
Jones, Silva, Velasquez, Cruz, Liddell, others added to UFC Fan Expo Toronto

UFC officials today announced a star-studded lineup for UFC Fan Expo Toronto, which takes place in April in conjunction with record-breaking UFC 129 event.

Current UFC champions Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Cain Velasquez and Dominick Cruz, as well as UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell, are among the names.

The two-day fan expo takes place April 29-30 at the Direct Energy Centre in Toronto.

The fan event features Q&A and autograph sessions, training seminars, photo opportunities, a grappling tournament, a full trade show and other attractions and events.

Other confirmed attendees include Royce Gracie, B.J. Penn, Rashad Evans, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Josh Koscheck, Ryan Bader, Stephan Bonnar, Shane Carwin, Matt Mitrione, Brendan Schaub, Jon Fitch, Miguel Torres, Anthony Pettis, Clay Guida, Joe Lauzon, Cole Miller, Sam Stout, Carlos Condit and Jonathan Brookins.

"We're excited to bring some of our top stars to Toronto for the UFC Fan Expo," UFC President Dana White stated. "This is going to be the biggest weekend not only in UFC history, but in the history of our sport. I'm looking forward to giving our fans once-in-a-lifetime access to our fighters at the fan expo."

UFC 129 takes place April 30 at Rogers Centre and marks the UFC's debut in Toronto. The pay-per-view event will break North American MMA records with 55,000 attendees and a gate of approximately $10 million.