MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
With Jose Aldo win, WEC's Wagnney Fabiano headed to bantamweight division

While Jose Aldo's 145-pound title win made waves in the WEC's featherweight division, the ripple effect has spread to the bantamweight class, as well.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the WEC that former featherweight contender and Aldo's Nova Uniao teammate, Wagnney Fabiano (12-2 MMA, 2-1 WEC), will make the drop to 135 pounds for his next fight.

A date for Fabiano's bantamweight debut has not been set.

It was Aldo, at just 23 years old, who was originally considering a move to the 135-pound division to make way for Fabiano's run at the title. But with Aldo's current 6-0 run in the WEC, including an impressive win over former champ Mike Brown at this past Wednesday's WEC 44 event, it's now Fabiano who will seek the Nova Uniao team's second title belt.

Fabiano discussed the potential move in an October interview with Tatame.com, where he also predicted an Aldo title win.

"About my next fight, I might do at bantamweight division; we'll see," Fabiano said. "'Junior' (Jose Aldo) will fight for the belt. He's making some noise now, so they can't promote two guys that won’t face each other. ... I think it’s better to go down because I think Junior will win. That kid is a phenomenon."

Fabiano was stunned in his most recent outing, a submission loss to WEC newcomer Mackens Semerzier. Prior to the loss, Fabiano was riding an eight-fight win streak and was considered one of the world's top-five featherweights.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce welterweight contender Jay Hieron eyes January return to action

UFC, Affliction and IFL veteran Jay Hieron (18-4), who lost a Strikeforce title shot in August when scheduled opponent Nick Diaz was not able to gain a license to fight, looks to return to action in January.

Hieron told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he's "90 percent" certain he'll fight on Strikeforce's recently announced Jan. 30 show in Sunrise, Fla.

And while an opponent has not yet been named, Hieron hopes for a big-name fight.

"I'm at the point right now where I need to fight the name," Hieron said. "I need to fight somebody that's going to propel my career instead of fighting these guys where I have everything to risk and nothing to gain. I want to take that step."

Hieron said he would still be open to a fight with Diaz despite the turmoil that surrounded their previously scheduled meeting. But "The Thoroughbred" also mentioned Strikeforce middleweight champ Jake Shields and fellow welterweight contender Joe Riggs as potential opponents.

"I just want a name, and if I'm fighting for a world title, I want it to be worthy," Hieron said.

Hieron earned a win in his August Strikeforce debut with a unanimous-decision victory over Diaz's replacement, Jesse Taylor. The result extended Hieron's current win streak to six fights.

Hieron said he's remaining patient, but he plans on impressing when he returns to the cage.

"All good things come to those that wait," Hieron said. "Trust me, I'm going to make a statement in my next fight."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 106 fighter salaries: Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz each earn $250,000

Despite topping the fellow ex-champ via split decision in the main event of Saturday's UFC 106 event, Forrest Griffin earned $250,000, the same as his opponent, Tito Ortiz.

Griffin earned $100,000 to show and $150,000 as an addition win bonus. Ortiz earned a flat rate of $250,000 and wasn't eligible for a win bonus even if he had won.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today requested and received the list of official disclosed salaries from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

UFC 106 took place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas and aired live on both Spike TV and then pay-per-view.

The total disclosed payroll for the event was $1,021,000.

Other top earners included main-card fighters Josh Koscheck ($106,000) and UFC newcomer Antonio Rogerio Nogueira ($100,000) and preliminary-card fighter Kendall Grove ($44,000).

The full lit of payouts includes:

Forrest Griffin: $250,000 (includes $150,000 win bonus)
def. Tito Ortiz: $250,000

Josh Koscheck: $106,000 ($53,000 win bonus)
def. Anthony Johnson: $17,000

Paulo Thiago: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
def. Jacob Volkmann: $6,000

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira: $100,000 ($30,000 win bonus)
def. Luiz Cane: $19,000

Amir Sadollah: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus)
def. Phil Baroni: $25,000

Ben Saunders: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)
def. Marcus Davis: $27,000

Kendall Grove: $44,000 ($22,000 win bonus)
def. Jake Rosholt: $15,000

Brian Foster: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus)
def. Brock Larson: $26,000

Caol Uno: $20,000
vs. Fabricio Camoes: $10,000
(Both fighters earned show money; bout declared majority draw)

George Sotiropoulos: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus)
def. Jason Dent: $8,000

Now, the usual disclaimer: The figures do not include deductions for items such as insurance, licenses and taxes. Additionally, the figures do not include money paid by sponsors, which can oftentimes be a substantial portion of a fighter's income. They also do not include any other "locker room" or special bonuses the UFC oftentimes pays.

For example, as discussed above, the figures above do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses. The UFC 106 bonuses were worth $70,000. The organization awarded $70,000 to Nogueira (Knockout of the Night) and Johnson (Fight of the Night), and $140,000 to dual-award winner Koscheck (Submission of the Night and Fight of the night).

The figures also do not include the show and win money the UFC paid to Dustin Hazelett, who was forced off the card when opponent Karo Parisyan pulled out of the event on the eve of the show. Hazelett made $28,000 ($14,000 to show and a $14,00 win bonus) at UFC 91, his most recent appearance.

Feb 7, 2006
L.C. DAVIS CONTINUES WEC SURGE

Just a couple months ago, the future looked uncertain for L.C. Davis.

Coming off only the second loss of his pro career in March, combined with the cancellation of Affliction: Trilogy in late July, Davis was in need of a fresh start.

Enter World Extreme Cagefighting.

Since signing with the WEC, Davis has won back-to-back fights over two of the most formidable opponents in the featherweight division in Javier Vazquez and Diego Nunes. He is now on track to become one of the premier fighters at 145 pounds.

“I’m happy with my performance,” Davis told MMAWeekly.com of his win over Nunes this past Wednesday at WEC 44. “I haven’t seen the fight yet, so I can’t judge all of it, but I’m happy I stuck with my game plan.

“I went into the fight wanting to use my wrestling, keep him guessing, and I think I was able to do that. I think that definitely gave me the advantage and helped me win the fight.”

Coming off a close split decision win over Vazquez in August had Davis wanting to make a statement against Nunes.

“I definitely wanted to win in a dominating fashion,” he admitted. “My last fight some people said was controversial – and it was a very close fight that could have gone either way – but I do think I won that fight.

“This fight I was really determined to win convincingly. I wanted to be a mixed martial artist and come with a mixed bag of tricks and keep him guessing. I was able to do that and I definitely think that’s what kept him off balance and lead to me getting the victory.”

Having won three of four fights this year, including stopping Bao Quach’s 10-fight winning streak in January, has Davis’ future looking brighter than ever, and he plans to take advantage of that.

“I’m going to just keep taking it one fight at a time, keep improving on my training, and try to win the next one,” he commented. “I’m not looking too far ahead, but the belt is definitely something that is my goal at the end of the journey.

“Whatever the WEC has in store for me, I’ll be ready for the challenge.”

With the crowning of a new 145-pound champion in Jose Aldo later in the evening, and former champions Mike Brown and Urijah Faber looking to get back into the mix, Davis has no shortage of tough opposition.

“Jose Aldo is a beast, he’s amazing, and I’m very impressed by him, but I think I can fight with anybody in the weight class,” stated Davis. “I think I have enough athleticism, strength, and explosiveness to match up with anyone.

“I’m going to keep learning, getting better, and keep preparing to get to the level where those guys are, and when the time comes, I think I’ll be ready for it.”

Back on track and seemingly better than ever, next year could very well be the breakout year for Davis.

“I’d like to thank my sponsors: RevGear, Polanti Watches, Future Clothing, Cage Fighter, Mobile Wiring and all my training partners, coaches and trainers at MFS and Xtreme Couture,” concluded Davis. “I also want to thank God for his many blessings.

“Just stay tuned for L.C. Davis, because 2010 is going to be my year. I’m going after it full-go and am going to try to make a run for the title.”

Feb 7, 2006
Pedro Rizzo, 'Ninja' Rua and Tommy Speer added to Bitetti Combat 5 on Dec. 12

Bitetti Combat manager and owner Amaury Bitetti revealed the card for the upcoming fifth edition of the Brazilian mixed martial arts event that will take place in Barueri, Sao Paulo, on Dec. 12.

"Bitetti Combat 5" will feature Pedro Rizzo, Murilo “Ninja” Rua and Jeff Monson –- fighters who all fought at the fourth edition – along with Valentin Overeem, Travis Wiuff, Tommy Speer and Jason Jones.

The most interesting addition to the pending card is Tommy Speer, who impressed on season six of the Ultimate Fighter but was cut from the UFC after a wretched 0-2 start. Since then, Speer has gone 4-1 with three finishes. He faces the dangerous M-1 veteran Eduardo Pamplona.

As always, Bitetti Combat should deliver a great night of fights.

From promoter Fernando Miranda:

“We still have to announce a female fight of high level and is possible to add one more fight.”

Here is the current Bitetti 5 fight card:

Pedro Rizzo vs. Valentin Overeem
Murilo “Ninja” Rua vs. Jason Jones
Fábio Maldonado vs. Travis Wiuff
Gustavo Ximu vs. Ricco Washington
Glover Teixeira vs. Jeff Monson
Eduardo Pamplona vs. Tommy Speer
Alessandro “Alemão” Steffen vs. Francimar Bodão

Feb 7, 2006
Leites ready for anything against Dean Lister

At December 4th, former UFC middleweight contender Thales Leites faces Dean Lister at MFC, and spoke with TATAME.com about the preparation for the fight. “The preparation is very good, the training are great. I’m training Jiu-Jitsu, emphasizing the striking, training here and there”, Leites said, ready for a great fight against Lister.

“The expectation will be always good, even more now that I’m coming from two defeats, it’s a new start to me, actually. New event, new house... I’m training as if it were the most important fight of my life”, guarantees, preparing his game for a complete opponent. “I think that he may want to exchange a little bit, to surprise me. But, actually, both essences are Jiu-Jitsu, I think that this fight might go to the ground anyway, which is good for both of us”.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
DREAM vs. Sengoku at Dynamite!!

World Victory Road’s Sengoku Raiden Championships will contribute fighters to Fighting and Entertainment Group's Dynamite event on New Years Eve at the Super Saitama Arena. FEG president Sadaharu Tanigawa and World Victory Road representative Sumio Inamura confirmed the cooperative effort at a joint press conference on Wednesday at the ANA Intercontinental Hotel.

Beyond planning for five to seven bouts dedicated to the Dream-Sengoku crossover theme on Dynamite's 19-fight bill, no concrete details have been hashed out yet, said FEG's Tanigawa and Dream event producer Keiichi Sasahara. Fighters participating in the collaboration, as well as rules and weight classes the fights will follow are currently under negotiation between the two promotions.

Perhaps most importantly for the Japanese audience, one of those bouts will likely pair Beijing Olympics gold medalist Satoshi Ishii's MMA debut against Barcelona Olympics judo gold medalist Hidehiko Yoshida, in what would have been Sengoku's headliner for their apparently now-canceled New Year's Eve effort.

“At first, I thought I was going to fight at Ariake Colosseum on New Year's Eve, so to all the fans and media, I'd like to offer my apologies for announcing so late that I won't be,” said Yoshida.

Curiously, though FEG's Tanigawa insisted that the bout would happen on Dynamite, Yoshida's comments on the bout sounded less committed.

“Am I fighting Ishii? That was something that was decided by Sengoku, actually. Since then, I haven't really heard who it is I'm supposed to be facing, so I don't know. I suggest that you ask the related parties [for confirmation],” said a cryptic Yoshida about the Ishii bout.

Further inquiries made by Sherdog.com to FEG's publicity division, as well as Tanigawa's own comments to Japanese media after the press conference, indicate that FEG is confident the bout will happen as planned on Dynamite. A previously announced K-1 bout between Masato Kobayashi and Andy Souwer will remain as a co-main bout.

As far as the future of Sengoku is concerned, WVR head Inamura's only comments were an insistence that parent company Don Quijote was still involved with the promotion and was devoted to supporting it into 2010. WVR said it already has plans in place to continue promoting in the new year.

Though no other matchups were announced, fighters from both promotions were present to give their thoughts and make appeals for potential opponents at the NYE event. Dream fighters Hideo Tokoro and an Evangelion-theme masked Kazushi Sakuraba -- albeit jokingly -- both campaigned for a bout with fellow Dream fighter Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto.

The only cross-promotional challenge seemed to come from welterweights Hayato Sakurai and Akihiro Gono, who hinted that they had an interest in facing each other. In addition, Sengoku lightweight champion Mizuto Hirota called out an absent Dream fighter Eddie Alvarez, asking gathered press, “Wouldn't [fans] want to see me knock him out?”

Dream lightweight champion Shinya Aoki was likewise asked if he'd like to face a Sengoku lightweight, and in particular, its lightweight champion. Aoki replied that neither he nor his fans knew who the Sengoku lightweight champion was.

“Who's the champion now? Because I don't know,” he said. “Right now, I'm number one. I feel that I'm [at the] top now, and if I fight him, I fight him. I didn't say I wanted to fight him, and no one knows who he is, so if we fight ... well, I'll have to think about it.”

When asked for his reaction to Aoki's comments, a nonplussed Hirota first responded, “Frankly, my feelings are ... annoyance. But fight-wise, I think facing Alvarez would be more exciting. I want to knock him out.”

Hirota then followed up with a mysterious, “[Aoki] seems like a fighter that has very long arms,” when asked for his impressions of the Dream champion.

Feb 12, 2004
I can't stand Aoki. Dude reminds me of this kid who used to be the qb of my 5th grade football teams rival who was really good, but once things started going against him all he did was cry, pout and fake injuries.

days of our lives featuring aoki and koscheck.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
lol ya it sucks being a fan of him as a fighter and having to try to defend the way he acts sometimes.
I'd rather see him fight Crusher and Hirota fight Eddie, but Hirota's a good fighter and since he beat the shit out of Kitaoka to win the title it adds a little bit more of a story to a fight with Aoki.
Mach vs Gono and Tokoro vs Kid would be sick too

Feb 7, 2006
CSAC: ‘No Conflicts’ for Big John McCarthy

MMA's flagship organization returned to California for the first time in two years with UFC 104 "Machida vs. Shogun" on Oct. 24 in Los Angeles. And while Lyoto Machida's controversial decision win over Mauricio "Shogun" Rua carried the headlines following the show, referee "Big" John McCarthy's absence from the Octagon was obvious for longtime fans and has many of them asking, "Why?"

Whether or not the California State Athletic Commission assigns McCarthy to work the upcoming WEC 46 event on Jan. 10 in Sacramento could shed light on speculation that he has been bypassed for UFC and WEC events (both promotions are owned by Zuffa LLC). Since his return to officiating in November 2008, McCarthy has been assigned to other high-profile shows, including those under the Strikeforce umbrella.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker sees McCarthy as an asset.

“He’s the best referee in the country,” said Coker. “He’s refereed all of our big shows. He was one of the pioneers.”

In fact, Coker has gone so far as to request McCarthy specifically for certain events.

"Every commission has rules on how that works," Coker said, "but if it's a situation with big fights on CBS, we're trying to get him an approval for the commission; it's never been a problem. I don't see why he wouldn't be (approved) for the number-one guy in the country."

Since taking the helm of the UFC’s officiating duties at UFC 2 in March 1994 and single-handedly building the template from scratch over 15 years and more than 600 events, McCarthy has not refereed a UFC event since 2007. He retired briefly to pursue a career in broadcasting with Canadian cable channel The Fight Network, but he returned full-time to officiating in 2008. After applying for reinstatement in Nevada, his application was placed in the pending file. That led industry insiders to wonder if it was an issue with state commissions or if his well-publicized broadcasting stints with the ill-fated rival Affliction promotion and others were hampering his return effort.

While McCarthy’s fate in Nevada remains nebulous, he is currently licensed by the CSAC and works shows there. He is also licensed in Utah, Illinois, Ohio and some jurisdictions in Canada.

Dave Thornton, interim executive officer of the CSAC, addressed questions from Sherdog.com on the matter via phone and e-mail. In light of McCarthy’s past comments critical of officiating made while he was a paid commentator for the sport, Sherdog.com asked Thornton about who made the assignments for UFC and WEC events.

“Though we have many officials who are working their way up, right now we have only a small pool of about 10 referees qualified to work large promotions,” said Thornton. “We select referees based on experience, training and number of bouts each has to date… We do not keep track of our referees by who has worked what particular promotion, e.g., Strikeforce, WEC, UFC. Our referees are not categorized as ‘accepted’ by any promoter. They are either qualified for any large promotion, or they're not.”

McCarthy, who owns a gym in Southern California, does not have any existing conflicts of interest that would preclude his being assigned to events in the state, said the CSAC's Thornton. In addition, Thornton said no promotion hosting an event in California has requested to him that McCarthy not be assigned to its event.

Still, many scratched their heads when McCarthy was skipped over for the UFC 104 assignment. McCarthy, who had limited comments regarding the situation, said he had been available that evening and has stated in recent public interviews that he'd continue to make himself available for all future MMA events, including the UFC.

In the fast-growing sport, the increasing demand for officials has placed a burden on state commissions trying to keep pace with the exploding workload from more events. That can translate into inconsistent officiating, ranging from how rounds are scored to when restarts are enacted and when fights are stopped. McCarthy has worked extensively to help standardize these concepts across jurisdictions, regularly teaching seminars so officials can be more consistent, regardless of what level show they are officiating. McCarthy also launched his own training program, COMMAND (Certification of Officials for Mixed Martial Arts Development), for referees and judges in December 2007 and holds courses every couple of months.

“If you’ve ever sat down with John and had him explain to you how he referees and protects the athletes and gets his job done, it’s amazing,” said Strikeforce CEO Coker. “The education and knowledge he has is unbelievable. I sat down with him almost three months ago and it was like taking a seminar. There’s nobody better qualified than John.”

Referee assignments have not been made for the Jan. 10 WEC show; those will be completed in mid-December once the card is finalized, said Thornton. He added that while promoters are free to protest referee assignments at least five days before an event, assignments are solely the CSAC’s decision.

"As mentioned, we schedule our referees based on who is due for the next fight," said Thornton.

Feb 7, 2006
‘Ninja’ Rua Signs with Shine Fights

Former Pride standout Murilo “Ninja” Rua has signed a three-fight deal with Ohio-based Shine Fight Promotions, according to his manager, Eduardo Alonso. Alonso added that UFC veteran Falaniko Vitale has been mentioned as a potential opponent for Rua’s Shine debut, tentatively scheduled for early 2010.

Rua (17-10-1), a former EliteXC middleweight champion who has split his last six bouts, hopes to revitalize his career in the upstart promotion.

Alonso told Sherdog.com by e-mail that Strikeforce did not show proper interest in Rua and that Shine made perfect sense because of the serious investment they are making in building the promotion.

At just 29 years old, Rua will look to revitalize his career in parallel fashion to his younger brother, light heavyweight contender Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, who nearly unseated undefeated Lyoto Machida as UFC champion last month.

Shine has run two events so far and has garnered media attention for signing former boxing standout Ricardo Mayorga to fight in mixed martial arts.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC cuts welterweight Brock Larson following UFC 106 loss

With a TKO loss to Brian Foster at this past weekend's UFC 106 event, UFC welterweight Brock Larson will now look for work outside the organization.

The veteran fighter today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he was cut from the UFC's roster following the Nov. 21 defeat.

Larson leaves the organization with a 26-4 record, which included a 3-3 mark in the UFC and a 4-1 record in the WEC.

"It's probably a good thing," Larson stated via text message. "I was having a hard time getting motivated for my last two fights. I needed a change. The undercards just didn't do it for me."

Larson went 1-1 during separate UFC stints in 2005 and 2006. After a 4-1 run in the WEC from 2006 to 2008, he joined the UFC earlier this year. He submitted Jesse Sanders and Mike Pyle (in a "Submission of the Night" performance) but then dropped a decision to Mike Pierce and a TKO to Brian Foster at UFC 106. All four of this year's UFC fights were on un-aired preliminary cards.

Larson mentioned Strikeforce and Japanese organizations such as DREAM or World Victory Road as a possible next home.

An organization such as Strikeforce, for example, would be a good fit. The promotion has fighters such as Jake Shields, Nick Diaz and Jay Hieron under contract, but no champion has been crowned in the weight class.

Larson, 32, is a member of the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy, where he trains with the likes of Brock Lesnar, Sean Sherk and Nik Lentz.

Feb 7, 2006
FRANKIE EDGAR PREPARED TO HIT THE CURVE BALL

In Frankie Edgar’s mind, if you can’t adapt, you shouldn’t be fighting.

Edgar, 28, says he gained new confidence in himself with a decisive decision victory over former lightweight champion Sean Sherk in May at UFC 98. He did it by living up to his credo: zigging when Sherk zagged, never being predictable.

After a long and unwanted layoff, another curve ball was thrown his way. His original opponent at The Ultimate Fighter 10 finale, Kurt Pellegrino, hurt his back and withdrew. In his place, Matt Veach stepped in – a virtual unknown coming out of a good camp in Matt Hughes’ H.I.T. squad.

“That’s how life is,” the Toms River native told MMAWeekly.com. “Nothing is straight forward anyway. You’ve got to adjust to what’s given to you and make the best out of it.”

The good news, he said, was that he had already turned up the intensity in his training camp. The bad news was there was scant tape to scout Veach – a throwback to his pre-UFC days.

Edgar’s Octagon career has been unusual in that he’s mostly fought established fighters. He’s had but one setback, to Gray Maynard last April at UFC Fight Night 13, meaning there’s a lot to lose if he falls short. From a strict business perspective, it’s a favor, and a dangerous one.

“I was once myself a guy coming into the UFC with no name and I took advantage of that,” he said. “I’m sure he’s going to be looking to take advantage of that.

“This is part of the game. If you want to be the best, you’ve got to be able to take any fight and win.”

Both have strong wrestling pedigrees – Edgar trains with the Rutgers University wrestling team, while Veach trains with Hughes and Marc Fiore – Edgar isn’t counting on one aspect of the up-and-comer’s game. Veach, after all, announced his entry into the division with a quick TKO victory over former collegiate wrestling standout Matt Grice.

“He could be a totally different fighter that night,” said Edgar. “I’ve got to try to build my strengths and worry about getting better every day. As far as knowing the rest of his abilities, I guess I’ll find out that night.”

Edgar says he’s focused on delivering his brand of boxing, kickboxing, and wrestling on Dec. 5. Where it gets him, he hopes, is back on the road to a title shot.

Favor or not, he has to make the best out of it.

“It’s going to be a tough fight,” he said. “I’ve definitely got my work cut out for me.”