MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Rizzo and the victory against Jeff Monson

Pedro Rizzo needed to win, and he got it last Saturday (12) on Bitetti Combat 4. In front of the tough Jeff Monson, the Brazilian showed a consistent and efficient game, defeating the American on the unanimous decision. After the victory, Rizzo spoke with TATAME.com.

“I could have fought better, I had to stop my training ten days before the fight because I had an inflammation in my elbow, but the victory is what matters. I’m coming back. I won, not in the better way, but it was satisfactory. I’m coming back. It’s the first win after two losses, so, it’s a start “, said Pedro, commenting the strategy for the fight.

“I tried to kick, but I managed to stop his takedown attempts. Our last fight (in AOW) was very bloody, I hurt him a lot, so I knew he’d try to take me down now as soon as possible, but I was ready to stop his takedowns”, commented The Rock, apologizing for the performance.

“For those who wanted to see me knocking him out, I apologize. I could have fought better, but it’s a victory, a beginning. I’m 35 years old, but I still restarting. I’m very motivated to get in the ring again, to train everyday… I’ll get better and keep fighting”, finished Rizzo.

Feb 7, 2006
Vale Tudo Japan 2009! Gomi’s Last Fight In Japan?

The first Vale Tudo Japan 2009 press conference was held today in Tokyo where one fight and two participants were announced for the October 30th event by the International Shooto Commission, Shooto promoter Sustain (among others).

5th and 8th generation SHOOTO Lightweight champion Lion Takeshi will take on 4th generation SHOOTO Lightweight champion in Alexandre Franca Nogueira. The two other participants announced for the event are Rumina Sato and Takanori Gomi.

Update: Gomi intends for this to be his last fight in Japan. He says that while fighting overseas after this, he will also try to get the professional surfer license. Gomi wants to fight a strong foreigner at the event.

Update #2: 1. Fights are either 3 5 minute rounds or 5 5 minute rounds.
2. There will be judgment decisions.
3. Knees and stomps to the head of a grounded opponent are legal but not soccer kicks (same as SENGOKU).

Update #3: The card will consist of around 8 fights. Fighters who haven’t fought in Shooto before will also be pursued.

Vale Tudo Japan 2009
Date: October 30th, 2009
Place: JCB Hall in Tokyo, Japan

Fights:
Lion Takeshi vs. Alexandre Franca Nogueira

Participants:
Takanori Gomi
Rumina Sato

Possible Participants:
Satoru Kitaoka

Feb 7, 2006
Takeda Announces Retirement! Final Opponent Is Albert Kraus

Legendary Japanese kickboxer Kozo Takeda announced his retirement at a K-1 MAX press conference today. His last opponent will be Albert Kraus in a superfight on the October 26th K-1 MAX Final card.

Also announced for the card were MAX superfights between Taishin Kohiruimaki and Drago, Hinata and Mike Zambidis, and cosplayer Nagashima and Chinese Xu Yan.

In a 60 kg superfight, former bad boy Japanese Boxing champion Kazuhisa Watanabe will take on Korean “KID Killer” Jae Hee Cheon.

Update: A fight with Artur Kyshenko is also planned to be added to the card, making it 14 fights (including 4 koshien fights).

Update #2: Nagashima has started training in the Silver Wolf Gym (the gym Masato belongs to) since August and he spars with Masato once a week. He got a lot of advice from Masato but what seems to have stuck most is when Masato said: “You want to become stronger, right?”. Nagashima also mentioned that he has started weight training.

FieLDS K-1 WORLD MAX 2009 World Championship Tournament -FINAL-
Date: October 26th, 2009
Place: Yokohama Arena in Yokohama, Japan

K-1 World MAX 2009 FINAL Fights (3×3, 1×3 Ext.):
Souwer/Pramuk vs. Petrosyan/Yamamoto
Andy Souwer vs. Buakaw Por. Pramuk
Giorgio Petrosyan vs. Yuya Yamamoto

K-1 World MAX 2009 FINAL Reserve Fight (3×3, 1×3 Ext.):
Yoshihiro Sato vs. Yasuhiro Kido

Superfights (3×3, 1×3 Ext.):
MAX: Kozo Takeda vs. Albert Kraus
MAX: Taishin Kohiruimaki vs. Drago
MAX: Hinata vs. Mike Zambidis
MAX: Yuichiro “Jienotsu” Nagashima vs. Xu Yan
60kg: Kazuhisa Watanabe vs. Jae Hee Cheon

Feb 7, 2006
FINAL16! Fight Order Announced

The fight order for the September 26th K-1 WORLD GP 2009 In Seoul -FINAL16- event has been announced. The main event has been given to Badr Hari and Zabit Samedov while Alistari Overeem will battle Peter Aerts in the semi main event.

FieLDS K-1 World GP 2009 In Seoul -FINAL16-
Date: September 26th, 2009
Place: Seoul Olympic Park in Seoul, South Korea

FINAL16 Fights (3×3, 2×3 ext.):
9. Badr Hari vs. Zabit Samedov
8. Peter Aerts vs. Alistair Overeem
7. Musashi vs. Jerome LeBanner
6. Semmy Schilt vs. Daniel Ghita
5. Ewerton Teixeira vs. Singh “Heart” Jaideep
4. Ruslan Karaev vs. Kyotaro
3. Glaube Feitosa vs. Errol Zimmerman
2. Remy Bonjasky vs. Melvin Manhoef

Superfight (3×3, 1×3 ext.):
1. Catalin Morosanu vs. Kin Taiei

Special Fights (3×3, 1×3 ext.):
-1. Chi Bin Lim vs. Tahir Menxhiqi
-2. Lim Su Jeong vs. Chen Ching(?)

Opening Fights (3×3):
-3. Min Ho Song vs. Nae Cheol Kim
-4. Hyeon Man Myeong vs. Ko Taisei

Feb 7, 2006
Selling Kimbo Slice

In an editing bay tucked away somewhere in Las Vegas, Kimbo Slice’s future has been decided.

Slice, who’s real name is Kevin Ferguson, was one of 16 heavyweights selected to compete on Season 10 of “The Ultimate Fighter,” which debuts Wednesday at 10 p.m. EST/PST on Spike TV.

The cast includes a diverse group of athletes, including an IFL champion, four former NFL footballers and three heavyweights who’ve already clocked time in the Octagon. But it’s Slice, who has already commanded six-figure paydays and starred in nationally run TV commercials as himself, who will be scrutinized with every interaction, remark and eyebrow-raise he makes.

Slice’s time in the cage is his own, whether he falls flat on his face in his first bout, like his embarrassing 14-second loss to Seth Petruzelli last October, or picks off opponents like he did at the start of his short but well-publicized career. Editing won’t help or hinder either way because performances don’t lie.

Outside the cage, the editors have a delicate task on their hands. Marketing a man who became the Internet’s boogeyman by taking on all comers in random Miami backyards can be a tricky proposition. Expose too much vulnerability and you stand to tarnish the image. Afterall, the boogeyman isn’t all that scary with the lights turned on.

In Slice’s case, he’s genuinely a nice guy when you keep him away from backyards and cages. At the UFC Fan Expo in July, Slice politely admonished a reporter for not readily giving up his seat to a female journalist, but managed to charm the throng of writers that surrounded him while he did it.

The 35-year-old fighter believes it’s this dichotomy that has won him so many admirers.

“What people know about me in general when I fight, I come to fight. You gonna knock me out, I’m gonna knock you out,” said Slice during the July interview. “That’s what I’m coming to do. I’m not trying to be cool with you right now. I’m not trying to be your boy right now. Right now, it’s me and you and that’s my mentality when I fight. People can relate to that, because when I’m done and out of that cage, I’m back having a beer with this guy, sitting down with this guy, just back to being me.”

Fame hit Slice fast and hard in 2008, after online videos exploiting his street-fighting escapades catapulted him into a multi-fight deal with the now-deceased EliteXC. Slice appeared on CBS’s “Saturday Night Fights” two times, garnering nearly 14 million viewers combined. The nation was enthralled by Slice’s bare-bones toughness. Kids started dressing up like him on Halloween, and Slice became the second fighter ever featured on the cover of “ESPN The Magazine,” behind former UFC champion Chuck Liddell.

When Slice’s contract went up for grabs in June, the UFC reportedly didn’t hesitate, quickly restructuring TUF’s 10th season to feature heavyweights only (some called in without the formal auditions), while sending a handful of disappointed middleweights and light heavyweights home.

Slice will be the first bona fide celebrity to compete on the series, though the father of six figures himself more of an everyman.

“People kind of dig me and like me the way they do because I can relate to that guy right there,” said Slice. “He goes to Walmart and shops; I’m in Walmart, too. He sees me and we talk. I’m in Winn-Dixie just like he’s in Winn-Dixie. I don’t consider myself no big-time -- you know what I’m saying? Nothing like that.”

Slice also doesn’t take himself too seriously.

“I can’t be phony of who I am, you know what I’m saying? I ain’t got no image. I’m me. This is what you get,” he said. “With these cameras here, without the cameras here –- I’m me. I don’t try to be something I’m not.”

Demico Rogers, one of Slice’s housemates, described the fighter as “a giant, scary cage-fighting teddy bear.”

“I think that this show is going to help him a lot, because everyone has their own idea about Kimbo Slice, but this show is going to show that he’s a real person, that he has feelings, he has children, he has the fiancée, he loves life, he loves kids,” said Rogers. “He does charity. He’s just a really good guy.”

Are fans ready for the softer side of Slice? That’s not something Slice and his longtime manager and high school friend Mike Imber worry about.

“I’m not concerned about how he will be portrayed ‘cause however he acted on the show is who he is,” Imber said in a text. “We’ve never hid anything about him thus far, so I‘m pretty sure you’ll see the same guy you’ve been seeing.”

Imber said his friend and client has always been true to himself. It wasn’t always the case that Slice would walk into a room and all eyes would gravitate to him, said Imber, but he’s not surprised it has come to be the norm.

“He’s definitely always done things his way,” said Imber, “but you always knew there was something special about him.”

If it were his perceived fighting skills that launched his popularity, Slice’s sun would have already risen and set after his sobering loss to Petruzelli. It’s Slice’s journey from pauper to phenomenon, and where it goes next, that has captivated fans. And Slice, his Brutus beard and entourage of assorted characters notwithstanding, is fascinating to watch on that journey.

“There’s a drive for something and I guess I’m still searching for that inner me, I’m still searching for something, so until I find it, until my fight is done, I’m gonna fight. It’s my passion,” Slice told reporters in July.

On Wednesday night, Imber said he and Slice have plans to go play paintball and throw a BBQ before they sit down to watch a night of fights with the Miami-based brood.

Whether or not Slice’s intangible star quality will be magnified or diminished by what fans see on that night and for the next 12 weeks remains to be seen.

If Imber has concerns, he isn’t showing it.

“As far as marketability, you never know –- maybe he will be opened to a whole new set of opportunities,” said Imber.

Slice concurs.

“I’ll leave that to the crowd to decide,” said Slice. “I’ll leave that to the fans.”

Feb 7, 2006
UFC officials confirm signing of newcomer Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

OKLAHOMA CITY – Notable newcomer Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (17-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has officially signed with the UFC.

UFC broadcaster Mike Goldberg and UFC Vice President of Fighter Relations Joe Silva confirmed the deal during Tuesday's UFC Fight Club Q&A session at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City.

Nogueira, a light heavyweight, is expected to fight Luis Cane (10-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) at UFC 106 in November.

However, as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported last week, when the fight was put together, it wasn't clear if Nogueira had actually signed a deal and may have just tentatively agreed to the fight pending a UFC contract.

A deal, though, now appears done. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Nogueira's twin brother, UFC heavyweight contender Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, first mentioned the possibility of the signing last month as part of a media call for UFC 102. The heavyweight fighter suggested his brother would sign and debut with the organization by year's end. (Goldberg and Silva did not confirm the Cane fight, though.)

Nogueira, a former PRIDE and Affliction fighter, enters the organization with a five-fight win streak, which included a dominant TKO victory over notable and recent UFC signee Vladimir Matyushenko at a January Affliction show. He's widely regarded as one of the world's top-15 205-pound fighters.

Feb 7, 2006
Once-paralyzed ex-WEC champ Cole Escovedo signed by Strikeforce, debuts Nov. 6

Former World Extreme Cagefighting fighter Cole Escovedo (12-4), who missed nearly three years of competition because of an infection that led to temporary paralysis, has been booked for Strikeforce's Nov. 6 show.

Strikeforce executive Mike Afromowitz today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the fighter's recent signing and event booking, though an opponent has not been determined.

The Nov. 6 Strikeforce event, part of the organization's "Strikeforce Challengers" series, takes place at the Save Mart Center in Fresno, Calif., and airs on Showtime.

Escovedo made his pro debut in 2001 and won 11 of his first 12 fights (seven via triangle choke) competing primarily for the WEC. The fighter had quickly become of the 145-pound division's most promising prospects, and the 28-year-old fighter even won the WEC's first-ever featherweight title.

However, after a stretch of three losses to notables Urijah Faber, Jens Pulver and Antonio Banuelos in 2006, Escovedo suffered a serious staph infection that ultimately left him partially paralyzed below his waist. The infection began in his arm, and after a misdiagnosis from multiple doctors, eventually spread to his spine.

After surgery and a couple years of physical therapy and training, Escovedo made a triumphant return to competition this past May. At Palace Fighting Championships 13, he defeated Michael McDonald via second-round TKO. The fight marked his debut in the 135-pound bantamweight division.

Feb 7, 2006
CANTWELL AND STANN READY TO SETTLE THE SCORE

Oklahoma City is in for a treat. The rubber match pitting former WEC light heavyweight champions Brian Stann and Steve Cantwell is featured on the preliminary portion of the UFC Fight Night 19 card on Wednesday night.

Both coming off losses in their most recent bouts to top opposition, it’s only fitting that now the score be settled once and for all to see who is still worthy of remaining in the big show.

Coming off of a loss in his Octagon debut at UFC 97 against Krzysztof Soszynksi, it came as a surprise to Stann. He had convinced himself of only one outcome in his debut; the thought of a loss never crossed his mind.

“It was a tough one to swallow because it was a fight that I fully anticipated winning actually and when you only have that on your mind and then you lose and you’re just laying there, staring up at the lights, it’s definitely tough to deal with,” commented Stann while speaking with the MMAWeekly Radio crew.

“It’s a competition. I don’t define myself in life as just a fighter, so I had to get over it and work with it. After watching the fight, sure there is some things to really learn from it.”

Out of his two losses, it’s the one that Cantwell owns over the “All American” that burns him the most. Wednesday night’s fight is one that Stann looks to as his perfect opportunity to gain a little bit of his pride back and stake claim to the fact that he does belong amongst the best in his class.

“I don’t have to go fight on Sept. 16th. I want to fight on Sept. 16,” said Stann.

“When I fought Steve the second time I allowed certain things to happen. I allowed people to become part of my life. I allowed my life to just get a little too complicated and I didn’t fight up to par to what I should have and that’s a problem.

“That’s the only fight in my career that I can’t live with and luckily I get to rectify that.”

Since joining the UFC in December of 2008 after the WEC did away with its heavier weight classes, Steve Cantwell finds himself coming off of a close, unanimous decision loss to top contender Luis Cane. Cantwell was able to hold his own and showed at the ripe age of 21 that he has the tools to hang the best out there.

“The Robot” has split his two UFC bouts, a win over Razak Al-Hassan and the loss. He is still considered a top prospect in the division, which in turn makes the bout with Stann all the more dangerous. Essentially, Cantwell has more to lose.

“I guess anything can happen,” he said recently on the MMAWeekly Radio show.

“He beat me; I beat him. So its time to settle the score once and for all.”

Though gaining more notoriety in the loss to “Banha” at UFC 97 this past April in Montreal, it’s still the taste of defeat that motivates him going into the third bout with Stann.

“Nothing’s more powerful than a loss,” said Cantwell.
“No one wants to lose fights; I know I don’t want to lose fights. Coming off of a loss I’m a dangerous dude and Brian Stann is going to see that.”

Blaming ignorance and youth for the initial loss to Stann, the Nevada native will look to use the final meeting as a means to an end, a way to showcase how much he’s grown.

“The first time we met I was a 19-year-old kid,” said the Brazilian jiu-jitsu brown belt.

“I didn’t have a whole lot behind me in the whole experience or good power. Going into the second fight you see how much I grew as a fighter, as a person,” he added.

“Going into the third fight, even that much more. He’s 28 years old; he can’t get better than me or faster than me, there’s no way. I’m getting better and better every single day, so it’s probably just going to be a landslide.”

Feb 7, 2006
IS "THE SILVERBACK" OCTAGON-BOUND?

Seth "The Silverback" Petruzelli may soon get a chance at UFC redemption.

More than two years after being released by the promotion with an unsuccessful run in "The Ultimate Fighter" and two Octagon losses, he says things are looking up with UFC matchmaker Joe Silva.

"I emailed Joe and said that I had won my last fight," Petruzelli tells MMAWeekly. "He said that if I won my next fight I might be able to come back to the UFC. He emailed me back and said he was looking for a fight, to give him some time."

The 29 year-old Petruzelli caught a wave of attention after his UFC stint, though it may not have been the right type. Fourteen seconds after knocking Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson out on network TV, Petruzelli would go from career high to career low in a matter of days as post-fight comments he made called the fight's legitimacy into question. He struggled to find work afterwards.

Last month, he defeated Chris Baten by TKO at Art of Fighting, though he broke his hand in the process and now has two screws set in his hand. He is tentatively booked for a second Art of Fighting show on Nov. 22, but if the UFC comes calling, that will be shelved.

"I'm hoping to fight on the late November card," he said.

Petruzelli thinks it unlikely that he'll get a rematch anytime soon with Slice, who's about to be beamed to televisions around the world as a contestant on the tenth season of "The Ultimate Fighter."

"I really don't think that they'll do that right off the bat," he said. "That would be awesome, though."

For now, a second chance is enough.

Feb 7, 2006
3X NCAA CHAMP MAKES MMA DEBUT FRIDAY

It would be ideal for 26 year-old Todd Meneely if the wrestling mats at his school were surrounded by a fence. But it’s one or the other: cage or the mat.

And for now, the cage is winning out.

When the University of Nebraska, Omaha, student steps into the cage for the first time in his life Friday at Adrenaline IV, he will be the most decorated wrestler on the card, and he won’t make a cent to fight.

In March, Meneely finished his collegiate career with a 58-5 record and a win in the 157lb. bracket of the Division II NCAA championships. The previous two years, he won at 147 lbs. In high school, he was a four-time state champ. He characterizes his style as “intense, aggressive.” In other words, perfect for fighting.

You could say combat was in his blood growing up in Omaha. He got into more than a few street wars on his own time, though he says those days have passed him by. Friends and wrestling buddies wanted him to fight; he never wanted to do it for free, and he couldn’t take money to fight in college.

Meneely now helps the coaching staff at UNO and the opportunity to top a preliminary card promoted by well-connected manager Monte Cox was too good to pass up.

On Thursday, he’ll weigh in as a featherweight and come in around 160lbs. the next day.

“I like the crowds,” said Meneely. “I perform well under pressure.”

Jake Ellenberger, another Omaha native who makes his UFC debut at Ultimate Fight Night 19 Wednesday, guided Meneely in MMA after friend and local fighter Alonso Martinez convinced him to begin training at a local gym. Martinez will fight on Adrenaline IV’s main card.

Eventually, Meneely would like to get paid to fight. He understands why peers like Johny Hendricks and Jake Rosholt have jumped ship to MMA.

“That’s been the downfall of wrestling,” he said. “Just recently in this last year, they’re starting to get some money together for the top US wrestlers, but still, it’s not anything compared to what you can make fighting.”

As a fan, he admired wrestlers turned fighters like Dan Henderson who turned their skills into a lucrative career. If a big offer fell into his lap, it would be hard to turn down.

Wrestling remains close to his heart, though, and his dream of competing in the Olympics has not died.

“We’ll see how far it goes,” he said.

Meneely’s trainers and friends are psyched to finally see him in the cage. His Mom and fiancé are mad, but he says they’re warming to the idea.

He’s confident his experience on the mat (and the streets) gives him an advantage others don’t have.

“You watch the UFC, and Joe Rogan talk about these guys as world class wrestlers,” he said. “Well, they don’t really know. Some of the guys that they’re talking about as world class wrestlers aren’t world class wrestlers. They’re good wrestlers, but I think that with my background, and the level I’ve competed at, it puts me in a good position to start. Obviously, I’m a beginner in this sport, but I think with my background, it’s an advantage starting out.”

Three days from the fight, he insists he’s not nervous. His opponent, Cory McDonald, is a local fighter with a 1-1 record who specializes in kickboxing.

“The day of there will be a little bit of nerves, but that’s a good thing,” said Meneely.

Cox is effusive in his praise for the newcomer. Depending on how things go, you could be seeing a lot more of Meneely.

Still, only on Friday will the young fighter know if it’s really in his blood. He says he’ll play it by ear.

“It’s a cool opportunity, I’m lucky for my first fight to be in a show like this,” said Meneely.

Feb 7, 2006
Guerilla warfare: Josh Koscheck earns jiu-jitsu brown belt before UFC 103 fight against Frank Trigg

Heading into UFC 103 against Frank Trigg on Sept. 19 from the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, UFC welterweight contender Josh Koscheck will be making his fifteenth appearance inside the Octagon.

And on Saturday night versus “Twinkle Toes,” he’ll be doing it as a newly-minted jiu-jitsu brown belt.

“Kos” earned the honor last week after completing another chapter in his training under esteemed grappling mentor, Dave Camarillo.

In addition to being the head grappling coach at American Kickboxing Academy (AKA), Camirillo is the founder of Guerilla Jiu-Jitsu, a unique and innovative approach that combines Jiu-Jitsu with Judo.

Camarillo is a black belt under Ralph Gracie and used his experience in Judo to create the hybrid “Guerilla” system, which emphasizes the use of throws that segue directly into submissions on the ground.

That style can be complemented by a wrestler, like Koscheck, who knows how to shoot and score big slams.

The former Ultimate Fighter is an impressive 10-4 inside the Octagon since his debut back in October 2005. Despite a rare misstep against Paulo Thiago at UFC 95 earlier this year, the former division number one contender continues to improve and take himself to the next level.

Frank Trigg may have picked a bad time to make his Octagon return.

Feb 7, 2006
5X Worlds Strongest Man, Mariusz Pudzianowski, set for MMA debut

The man that can currently lay claim to being the strongest man on the face of the planet is set to bring some serious pain to the world of mixed martial arts in the near future.

Five-time Worlds Strongest Man, Mariusz Pudzianowski, has been announced to face off with fellow MMA newcomer Marcin Najman in a heavyweight match-up set for Warsaw, Poland as the headliner for an event titled KSW 12.

The most decorated champion in the history of The Worlds Strongest Man, Pudzianowski captured the title a record five times during the years of 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2008.

Also affectionately referred to as Super Mario, Pudzian, Dominator, and possibly the gnarliest nickname of all time, The Big Python, Pudzianowski is a fourth kyu green belt in Kyokushin kaikan Karate which he has been studying and training since just eleven years of age. On top of his many years spent practicing Karate, Mariusz has also trained in competitive boxing for over seven years now.

As it stands right now, the 6′1″, 285 pound freak of nature is also listed as the top competitor in this years Worlds Strongest Man competition, which is slated to take place between the dates of September 26 and October 3. This years event will be hosted from Malta, a beautiful independent island in the center of the Mediterranean.

Feb 7, 2006
Strike Hard, Strikeforce, but Strike When?

For reasons examined by MMAPayout, the rumored October 10 date for Strikeforce in New Jersey appears not to be happening.

In its path, it’s worth analyzing which possible dates are left for Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers. For this purpose, I start with some assumptions:

* The show will take place in October or November, on a Saturday night, and will air live on Showtime; and
* The show will not go head-to-head with an already scheduled UFC event.

With these (I’d argue, safe) assumptions, it’s fairly easy to narrow the dates. Showtime Championship Boxing is scheduled to air on Showtime on October 17 and 31, and UFC has events scheduled on October 24, November 14, and November 21, leaving Strikeforce to choose either November 7 or November 28 for its event.

All things being equal, I believe November 7 is the better date. November 28 falls on Thanksgiving weekend, and although pro wrestling at one time had a Thanksgiving tradition, none exists in MMA, and scheduling a Strikeforce event that Saturday night could prove costly. November 7, however, presents its own logistical problems, since Strikeforce is holding a Challengers Series program live on Showtime the previous night.

If the logistical problems can be overcome, I believe November 7 is the better date not only because of the risky Thanksgiving alternative, but also because it’s the date that would cause Zuffa more of a headache.

If Dana chose to counter with a live UFC show, it would mean UFC on November 7, 14, and 21, and WEC on the 18th. Zuffa’s resources would be stretched as far as they’ve ever been in the weeks leading up to UFC 106 on November 21, which happens to be the final UFC ppv of 2009 that might do monster numbers.

It would be better for Strikeforce to schedule its event earlier in November (i.e., November 7), when Dana and Zuffa have three future events on their mind (UFC 105, WEC 44, and UFC 106), rather than at month’s end (i.e., November 28), when those events will be history and Dana will have the time and no doubt the inclination to turn his full attention to countering Fedor/Rogers.

Feb 7, 2006
Jae Hee Cheon In Thailand

K-1 Lightweight fighter Jae Hee Cheon, who is currently on a two fight winning streak in K-1 including a KO victory over Norifumi “KID” Yamamoto, left to train in Thailand on August 16th. He is training at the legendary Thai WBA Boxing champion Khaosai Galaxy’s gym.

The reason for the foreign training is that Cheon wants to elevate his Boxing skills to better match the style of K-1. He is training with the mindset of never fighting in K-1 again if he loses.

He’ll need that Boxing training when he goes up against crazy former Japanese Boxing champion Kazuhisa Watanabe, fresh off a victory against MMA’s Atsushi Yamamoto, in October.

Feb 7, 2006
After UFC Fight Night 19 win, Nate Diaz eyes fights with top-three talent

OKLAHOMA CITY – UFC lightweight Nate Diaz entered the main event of Wednesday's "UFC Fight Night 19: Diaz vs. Guillard" event surrounded by question marks.

Five minutes into the affair, Diaz had done little to silence the critics that had questioned his abilities following back-to-back losses to Joe Stevenson and Clay Guida.

But when opponent Melvin Guillard suddenly, inexplicably made a tragic mistake, Diaz was there to capitalize. Following the bout, the 24-year-old said he's ready for bigger and better things.

"It was a packed house, and I didn't know who they were behind," Diaz said of the Oklahoma City crowd. "I knew they were loud. They pump you up sometimes, especially when you get knocked down.

"I like it when people think I'm going to lose some times. Then I can come back. That motivates me."

Diaz got to experience exactly that, as Guillard dropped him quickly after the opening bell. Diaz said he made a textbook mistake, and the knockdown caused him to refocus.

"Sometimes when I'm sparring, I do that, too," Diaz told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I get excited and just rush in, swinging. I just come in too quick. My boxing coach was telling me to feel him out, take a step back and throw – make him come to you. But I kind of rushed in there and got knocked down. I was like, 'Ah, figures.' I leapt in there like I shouldn't have done.

"But I recovered right away. Sometimes you need to take a seat. Some people try to recover too quick to be like, 'I'm not hurt.' That's what will get you knocked out. I was alright though, after I sat down a little bit. I just thought, 'Don't jump in there anymore.'"

Diaz did settle down after that opening series. And while Guillard certainly won the first round, Diaz said he began to feel more and more comfortable as time wore on.

"In the clinch, I felt stronger than him," Diaz said. "I felt more technical than him in the clinch, on the ground and standing. I knew I could take him down.

"Maybe I did a little more chasing than him. He was the one running. Maybe I got sloppy a little bit, too, but I felt as time went by I was getting better and he was getting worse."

If Guillard was in trouble, he didn't act as if he knew it. Bobbing and weaving into the second frame, Guillard looked to utilize a quickness advantage on the feet. But an ill-timed rope-a-dope strategy led to Guillard's downfall.

"I hit him with a right-left good, and his head popped back, and he started acting like he was [hurt]," Diaz said. "My training partners and I have been watching fights all week, and we've been seeing guys get hit, and they're like, 'Oh,' before they throw a big one. I knew that's what he was going to do, so I hit him, and I came forward like I was going to run in after him. Then he threw the big one, and I stepped back like me and my boxing coach had worked on.

"I ran in because he was playing dumb, then he threw the big one like I was expecting. He moved and went from the big shot to a takedown, which I was fine with. I was like, 'Now he's getting desperate.'"

The end came quickly from that point, and Diaz secured a tight guillotine choke while working from half-guard. Guillard tapped shortly after the hold was applied.

"I was telling my boys in the back that if I submit him, I submit him," Diaz said. "But I'm going in there to fight him 15 minutes, break him down and whoop his ass. If I tap him out, it's probably going to be because he's breaking down and doesn't want to be there no more."

The win earned Diaz his second career "Submission of the Night" award and fifth-straight "Fight Night" bonus overall. Now back to his winning ways, Diaz has his sights set a little higher up the 155-pound ladder.

"I want to fight somebody in the top-five, or even top-three," Diaz said. "I don't want anybody less.

"I don't want to go down. I want to go up."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC requests drug testing for UFC 103, despite lack of requirement in Texas

As the UFC embarks on its second trip to Texas this weekend for UFC 103, the promotion is headed to a state woefully behind the times when it comes to drug testing fighters.

However, the UFC is taking the necessary steps to assure that at least some of the fighters on the card, scheduled for Saturday at American Airlines Center in Dallas, will be tested.

That's an improvement from two years ago, when no athletes on the UFC 69 card underwent drug testing.

The lack of testing in Houston in 2007 stemmed from what was described then as a misunderstanding between the UFC and the agency that regulates combative sports in the Lone Star State: the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). For UFC 69, the TDLR thought the UFC was managing drug testing, while at the same time the UFC assumed, as in most states, the regulating commission would handle the drug screens.

The UFC learned after the show that's not how things are handled in Texas.

"Our rules were and still are that we do not require drug testing (for combat sports)," said TDLR spokesperson Susan Stanford. "If there is a good cause, our executive director can order a drug screen at any time, and if this does happen, the drug screen is performed and the contestant is responsible for paying for the cost of the drug screen."

Stanford added that there was not sufficient "good cause" to test any athletes at UFC 103.

By not requiring even random drug testing of mixed martial artists or boxers in sanctioned fights in the state, Texas is not keeping pace with its contemporaries such as Nevada and California. Those states, among many others, take the licensing of combative sports seriously and understand the ramifications of fighters gaining an illegal edge through the use of performance-enhancing drugs. Texas has yet to adopt a similar perspective.

While the UFC is under no requirement to order drug testing for UFC 103, it has taken the initiative to avoid an embarrassing repeat of what transpired around UFC 69.

"We have asked for testing to be conducted at the event," UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) this week. "There will be random testing conducted."

Ratner made a direct request of the commission to contract with a third-party lab to conduct the testing. He doesn't know how many fighters will be tested, and the UFC will only be notified of any positive tests.

The UFC has clearly done the right thing by requesting drug testing. However, the promotion's latest trek to Texas highlights a glaring gap in how the state regulates combat sports. And, what's more, there appears to be no urgency among Texas officials to adopt a new course of action.

MMAjunkie.com asked Stanford if the state intends to implement drug-testing policies similar to those on the books in Nevada, California and other states.

"To my knowledge, we are not considering a change to our policy," she said.

Feb 7, 2006
HDNet airs Friday's Adrenaline MMA IV event, featuring Tim Sylvia and Houston Alexander

Monte Cox's Adrenaline MMA promotion returns on Friday for its fourth show, and notables Tim Sylvia are Houston Alexander are part of the night's HDNet-televised main card.

Adrenaline MMA IV takes place at the Mid-American Center in Council Bluffs, Iowa. The live broadcast begins at 10 p.m. ET.

In the night's main event, former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia (24-6) takes on Jason Riley (6-1), and current UFC fighter Houston Alexander (8-4) meets UFC vet Sherman Pendergarst (11-14) in the co-headliner.

"He wants to use me as a stepping stone," Sylvia recently told HDNet's "Inside MMA" about his opponent. "That's why he's taking the fight. I'm not going to let that happen"

Alexander, still under contract to the UFC, was permitted to take the outside fight. The Nebraskan dropped three straight fights in the UFC and now finds himself in a must-win situation.

Other bouts slated for Friday's broadcast include a variety of former UFC fighters.

The rest of the lineup includes Chad Reiner (19-8) vs. Forrest Pets (13-7), Alonzo Martinez (23-10) vs. Ryan Williams (10-4), Jeremy Lang (15-1) vs. Matt Delanoit (13-6), Joe Vedepo (9-2) vs. Webster Farris (1-0), and Jimmy Seipel (1-0) vs. Bob Tuttle (1-0).

Feb 7, 2006
Fight Path: Strikeforce's Casey Olson returns to MMA after soul-crushing loss of father

As a freshman in high school, Casey Olson was small, but determined.

"I was 100 pounds soaking wet," Olson told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), "but I made varsity (wrestling)."

Olson's father, who went through a rough patch when Olson was in elementary school, had stabilized his life and had coached his son. Heading into his sophomore year, Olson wanted to improve, so his father did some extra drilling at the house, with the couch pushed aside in the living room.

"So one time we're working on defense because he said I was babying it," Olson said. "He was pissing me off. So he shoots in, and cross-faced him as hard as I could, and I literally gave him a bloody nose. His glasses got knocked off.

"He said, 'That's how I want you to do it,' while he was grabbing his nose. He said, 'Great, do it one more time, on your uncle Max.'"

With such hard-nosed coaching through his youth, as well as close-knit parenting, Olson's father helped guide him on a path that could eventually make him a formidable mixed-martial-arts fighter.

Now, after taking the summer off to deal with the effects of his father's death from an unexpected heart attack at age 53, Olson, 29, is preparing to make his return in a 155-pound fight at "Strikeforce Challengers: Evangelista vs. Gurgel" on Nov. 6 in his hometown of Fresno, Calif.

Olson (10-3) hopes the fight is another step on his climb to stardom that began when he started traveling the two and a half hours from Fresno and San Luis Obispo to train with current WEC stalwart Antonio Banuelos. That training eventually earned him the notice of Chuck Liddell, who trained at the same gym, and Liddell encouraged Olson to start his career.

It's a career that was nearly ended prematurely by the death of Olson's father, but "The Underdog" – who had his first day of training on Monday – has rediscovered his passion for the sport from his time off.

"I went back to bartending and serving; I went back to a normal life," Olson said. "Now I'm back. I have a clear head, and I'm ready to move forward."

A father's coaching

Olson was in third grade when the father he idolized was sent to prison for some form of financial embezzlement. He says he still doesn't exactly know the circumstances, only that he was sent to live with an aunt and uncle.

Two years later, when his father was released, Olson returned to him immediately.

"He was my best friend, my mentor, everything," Olson said. "He obviously didn't do some things right, but he was still my dad. He always supported me, and we had a very close bond."

Olson heard stories about his father's past athletic achievements while growing up, which got him interested in wrestling. By seventh grade, Olson was old enough to join his first organized team, and without a coach, the team turned to his father for leadership.

Olson toughened by his sophomore year, aided by the impromptu practices in the family's living room, but a broken elbow cut short his season. As a senior, Olson appeared in a state semifinal match, and he was winning. There were seven seconds left, and he was up 7-3 when an opponent's move broke Olson's ankle.

There were two significant injuries that both played roles in keeping Olson from his high school wrestling goals, and it was adversity he would remember.

Following high school, Olson spent two seasons wrestling at Fresno City College before transferring to Fresno State University, where he finished his career in 2004 at 149 pounds.

Not long after finishing his college career, Olson started working at an Italian restaurant in Fresno to pay the bills, but he always wondered what it would be like to continue some preliminary jiu-jitsu training he tried with Banuelos, his old Fresno City College teammate.

Dealing with death

For awhile, Olson could never seem to shake Banuelos. As he traveled more and more to San Luis Obispo to train with Banuelos, he became more friendly with Banuelos and Liddell, who trained at the same gym.

"One day Chuck comes up to me and he says, 'You're not getting tapped as much; I think this is something you could do,'" Olson said. "But I still had some things to take care of, school loans and whatever, so I had to keep the restaurant job."

After training for about six months, Olson came to the point of making a major decision. Then he remembered some advice from his father.

"He always told me to not have any regrets," Olson said. "So in February of 2005, I quit and started training full time."

His first fight, which was also his professional debut, came just six months later at WEC 16. It turned into a first-round TKO victory against Rolland Parli, and he began to rise.

Olson won his first four fights, and he was 6-1 when he got to a matchup with Olaf Alfonso in February 2008. Olson had seen many of Alfonso's fights, and it was the first time he was truly nervous heading into a fight. The loss, by a knockout in the second round, helped teach Olson about serious training and handling his nerves.

Five months later, Olson fought another respected opponent, Tito Jones, at Palace Fighting Championship 9. Olson was impressed with Jones' hand speed and striking ability, but Olson won the decision, which was a major confidence boost.

Then, in November 2008, Olson's father died of a heart attack. It was jarring for Olson, who drifted to his next fight, a PFC 13 matchup with Eddie Yagin in May, and half-heartedly lost by first round guillotine choke.

"I just didn't know what to do," Olson said. "I just went out there and didn't even work on the game plan we talked about. He caught me with a big right and knocked me out, shot in, caught me with a guillotine, and it was over. That raised a lot questions for me."

To try and answer them, Olson took the summer off to clear his head. He learned he was, indeed, passionate about MMA and that he needed to return.

He hopes the upcoming Strikeforce matchup can jumpstart his return to winning and prove to others why his father and Liddell believed in him.

"I really feel like I'm ready mentally," Olson said. "I know how to train, I'm motivated, and I'm focused."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Quick Quote: Phillipe Nover will find out what’s wrong and come back to fight

“I’ll start off by saying there’s nothing to worry about at this time. My health is great. I feel incredible and I am in peak tip top shape. My weight cut was only about 8 or 9 pounds overall. I dieted as usual for the cut. The weigh-ins were great. I felt good and healthy the whole time here in Oklahoma. Fight day I woke up and ate as usual and again felt fine. I was in the convention center back stage with my corner. All of a sudden I told my trainer Ralph that I wasn’t feeling too good. I told him I’m going to sit down and I took my headphones off. That’s the last thing I remember until waking up on the floor. Apparently my body stiffened up and I lost consciousness. At that point the Oklahoma commission’s doctors came over and asked me a bunch of questions. Next thing I was interview by a few EMTs and the doctors called fight off. I really can’t explain what went wrong. I wound up going to the ER here and the doctor said everything is normal blood, urine, and CT of my head. The only thing abnormal is my blood sugar being high. But that could be from eating so much in the last 24 hrs after the weigh-ins. I was so devastated I couldn’t fight that I broke out in tears. But the fact of the matter is I should take care of this problem and see what’s wrong with me so it will never happen again. My health is my only concern. I know I’ll be back to fight. I’m still looking forward to the fight with Stout. I have to see what’s wrong with me first and I’ll be back on the road for the next one. Thanks for all your support. I’ll keep you all posted.”

Feb 7, 2006
Bantam- and Featherweights: Breaking Through a Glass Ceiling

In recent weeks and months, MMAPayout and others have discussed the feasibility of bringing the WEC and UFC together in some way. Most of these discussions have centered on the business practicality, from an organizational perspective, of a merger or re-branding. I thought it would be interesting now to examine the issue — one I frame as a lack of ppv, and thus economic, opportunities for lighter-weight fighters — from the perspective of the fighters themselves.

At some point it might be worth studying how we got here, but for current purposes it’s important only that this is the state of things: Zuffa owns two MMA organizations, the UFC and the WEC. UFC has five weight classes, starting at 155 lbs.; WEC has three weight classes, 135, 145, and ending at 155 lbs. WEC’s shows appear exclusively on Versus basic cable, whereas UFC’s biggest shows air on pay-per-view television. Consequently, it’s more lucrative to fight in the UFC than it is to fight in the WEC, though a beating remains a beating, and medical bills don’t discriminate based on a fighter’s purse.

Team Lloyd Irvin’s Muhsin Corbbrey (lightweight), who fights Anthony Njokuani at WEC 43 on October 10, noted that WEC’s smaller purses only become significant at the highest levels. In other words, the lower-level fighters in UFC aren’t making a ton of money, either (although they’re making more than their WEC counterparts), but when you get to the highest levels — the ppv draws like Brock Lesnar, Chuck Liddell, and GSP — the money to be made fighting in UFC is enormous, and to date no bantam- or featherweight has even been given the opportunity to pass or fail the ppv test.

According to Muhsin, fighters shouldn’t expect to become wealthy off of their fight purses, but rather should use whatever visibility they gain through fighting to market themselves in other ways (e.g., sponsorships), and indeed this is an intelligent path for the vast majority of fighters.

But then there are the exceptions, the ones at the top end, the draws, or in the case of the smaller fighters, the potential draws, which brings me to the tragic case of Urijah Faber.

Surely it’s beyond debate that Zuffa and WEC missed the boat with Urijah Faber, WEC’s former 145-lb. champion. “The California Kid” had (and has) a look that screamed money, and, just as important, he can fight, but Faber was relegated throughout his multi-year title reign to fighting on the relatively limited universe of Versus, and not on ppv.

I emphasize that we’re not talking about a situation in which the public was offered, and rejected, the opportunity to pay to see an exciting smaller fighter, but instead the case had been conclusively settled in advance: Urijah Faber would never get to see how far he could go in the sport; it might be a loaded term, but so long as that ppv door remains closed, there’s an MMA glass ceiling for smaller fighters.

True, we’d hear rumblings of plans to put WEC led by Urijah on ppv, specifically with respect to Faber/Brown II, but the plans never came to fruition, and now that Brown seems to have Urijah’s number, the window of opportunity to capitalize on Faber’s potential superstardom has probably permanently closed.

Mike Brown, beast that he is, simply lacks that it factor, the ineffable charisma that’s so important in making the public want to pay to see you fight. (Muhsin noted that Brown, perfectly suited for fighting at 145, even tried his hand at 155, likely due to the greater economic potential fighting for UFC than for WEC.)

Mike Brown is limited by being Mike Brown, perhaps a great mixed martial artist, but oh so plain.

One fighter without such limitations is Team Lloyd Irvin’s Mike “The Hulk” Easton, Ultimate Warrior Challenge’s (UWC) 135 lbs. champion, who faces former WEC champion Chase Beebe at UWC 7 on October 3, in a fight that Mike Thomas, on MMA Nation radio referred to as the biggest ever in the DC area. It’s a fight that was supposed to take place way back in February, but for whatever reason, Beebe at that time decided to skip the weigh-ins and the scheduled UWC title confrontation. For Mike Easton, who has waited over half a year for the fight, the chase finally ends on October 10.

“I don’t know how I’m going to win, but I will win,” a smiling Mike told me last week as we talked, his two-year-old son, Champ Mike Easton, playing nearby. With Mike’s last two fights ending in victories via the guillotine choke, that might (or might not) prove instructive on October 3.

Easton – genuinely a nice guy — has such a laid back, warm personality that, and it’s almost a cliche at this point when it comes to martial artists, unless you knew beforehand, you’d never guess what he does for a living. Beyond that, this guy’s superstar potential is off the charts. Mike Easton has the rare combination that allows someone to break out from the pack: both the it factor (i.e., charisma) and the ability to fight at the highest levels.

Easton is someone to keep an eye on. I’ve heard him referred to as the hottest prospect in the Mid-Atlantic area, but I’d go further and say he’s the brightest superstar prospect at the bantam- or featherweight level since Urijah Faber. (You can watch three of his fights at Sherdog.) Easton oozes charisma from the time he steps through the curtain for his ring entrance, which he admits is influenced by his years watching professional wrestling, but this would mean nothing if Mike couldn’t follow it up in the cage. Follow it, though, he does, typically in devastating fashion, and it’s a pity that Mike Easton is not yet a better known name.

I have a theory, probably unprovable, that if ppv opportunities were available to someone like Mike, either through UFC or WEC, he probably would not still be fighting in the regional UWC, but as Easton said, he makes more money fighting for the UWC than he could for WEC. Easton also noted, though he couldn’t go into particulars, that the UWC has plans for greater MMA growth on the East Coast.

Irrespective of how big UWC gets, it obviously will never prove as financially rewarding to a superstar (or potential superstar) as fighting for UFC could be. My argument is that Mike Easton is that lighter-weight superstar, the next Urijah Faber, waiting in the wings. Zuffa blew it with Urijah; let’s hope that lessons have been learned, and wheels are in motion to prevent it from happening again.

Mike Easton has a very loyal, very devoted, regional following, which will be on display when he fights Chase Beebe at UWC 7 for the promotion’s bantamweight title on October 3 (I believe Sherdog.com will offer a live stream of the main card).