MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Bellator Eyes U.S. Broadcast Deal, Pay-Per-View

As it approaches the final event of its inaugural season on Friday, the ESPN-backed Bellator Fighting Championships appears well positioned to grow in the second half of the year, with English language television and pay-per-view on the horizon.

The promotion, which broadcasts its events in Spanish on ESPN Deportes, will air season two on English language television, CEO Bjorn Rebney told Sherdog.com following the promotion’s June 12 event in Connecticut. The season starts in the early fall.

Rebney could not yet say which station will carry the English broadcast, but said it won’t necessarily be one in the ESPN family.

“Based on our deal with ESPN, I can’t speak to the issue of what’s going on,” Rebney said. “Everybody is very excited about what’s going on, and it’s not just our organization that’s excited. We’re not going to be able to make any kind of official announcement for probably 30 days. It’s going in the right direction.”

Regardless of where the English program lands, Bellator will continue to broadcast in Spanish on ESPN Deportes. The promotion makes available an English version of their broadcasts every Wednesday on its website, with a commentary team of Jon Anik, host of ESPN.com’s “MMA Live,” and MMA fighter and former History Channel personality Jason Chambers.

Bellator has attracted a solid television audience on ESPN Deportes, drawing ratings in the 0.7 to 1.0 range, according to Rebney. ESPN Deportes’ average rating this past year was 0.5, according to a recent press release issued by the network. The channel is available in 4.8 million “Hispanic Nielsen homes,” or Spanish-speaking households that Nielsen Media Research counts in determining ratings. By contrast, the flagship ESPN network is in some 98 million homes.

Asked if ESPN’s feathers would be ruffled if Bellator broadcasted on another station, Rebney responded: “That’s an interesting dynamic.”

The promotion will follow the same eight-man tournament format in its next season. Tournament winners will continue to make $175,000 (first win $25,000, second $50,000 and final $100,000) -- a very competitive pay scale by today’s standards. For instance, featherweight champion Joe Soto made more in his title win than the top two 145-pound fighters, Urijah Faber and Mike Thomas Brown, made for their June 7 title fight for World Extreme Cagefighting.

Season two tournament winners will emerge the top contenders for Bellator titleholders. Those title fights, which will be scheduled two to three months after tournament’s end, are targeted for pay-per-view, Rebney said. While each champion will not make the same amount of money, Rebney said champions would likely not make less than what they earned in the tournament. In fact, their paydays would likely be considerably higher, he said, because some would be cut in on a percentage of pay-per-view revenue.

Higher paydays are not a guarantee. Bellator champions are automatically slotted to make $8,000 to show and $8,000 to win, according to a copy of one Bellator contract obtained by Sherdog.com. The contracts are for three years or eight fights, whichever occurs first. For champions, their contracts extend 18 months on top of that, or three additional fights.

The financials in many ways depend on the economics of a new Bellator television deal and if they can develop their champions into fighters who fans will pay to see. One of the promotion’s top hands is Lyman Good, a 23-year-old Spanish Harlem native who looked exceptional in his defeat of Omar de la Cruz to become the promotion’s welterweight champion on June 12. Good, as well as Soto, “have a number of fights left on their long-term exclusive agreements” with Bellator, Rebney said.

While Bellator contracts are exclusive, Rebney said he has “no issue” with entertaining offers from other promoters in Japan and the United States to keep his champions active between their title wins and the conclusion of the next series of tournaments.

Some Bellator fighters have attracted interest on the open market. Good, for example, turned away from an offer by the now-defunct EliteXC to sign with the promotion. Rebney is glad he did.

“I believe Lyman Good is an A-level guy,” he said. “I believe he has all of the different pieces to the puzzle, inside the cage and outside the cage. He has that unique ‘it’ factor. He looks like an actor, and he’s built like Conan the Barbarian.”

Feb 7, 2006
UFC'S BRAD BLACKBURN EYES MORE SUCCESS

One of the bigger surprises since the folding of the IFL has been welterweight “Bad” Brad Blackburn.

Of all the fighters the UFC brought over from the now-defunct promotion, Blackburn more than likely received the least amount of attention during the transition, but he’s quickly proving that he belongs in his new surroundings.

Having won three fights in a row overall, Blackburn returns to the UFC for this Saturday’s Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale intent on continuing his winning ways and proving he is someone to keep an eye on in the 170-pound weight class.

“I’m feeling good,” said a confident Blackburn to MMAWeekly.com. “I had a good training camp for this one, and I feel I’m in better shape than I was for my last fight, so I’m ready to go.”

Having competed on the big stage before, he knows what to expect from the UFC experience, unlike his opponent, Edgar Garcia, who will be making his first appearance in the Octagon.

It’s that veteran experience that Blackburn hopes will stem the tide of the fight.

“I’m going to try to fight smarter, and that will most likely be an advantage for me,” he stated. “I’ve had a lot of wars, and he really hasn’t yet. I haven’t seen him in there with anyone that’s been a threat to him, so I don’t know how’s going to react to when he gets tested.

“He might be okay with it, or not, but I’m ready for a three-round war and am mentally prepared for this to get ugly. It could be a good fight to watch, but not a good fight to be in.”

Blackburn explains it’s just the nature of the beast when it comes to the way he handles business in the cage.

“That’s just the way I fight – I kick, I punch, sometimes I get quick knockouts, and sometimes I have wars,” he stated. “Even if I’m tired, I keep swinging.

“Sometimes I get Fight of the Night and sometimes I don’t, but no matter what, my fights are going to be exciting – I’ve never had a boring fight.”

With the UFC tightening up the reigns on its roster, it’s imperative that for any fighter that wishes to make any kind of headway in the promotion to stay on the winning track, which is exactly Blackburn’s goal.

“I feel that as long as I keep winning, I can only be denied for so long,” he said. “My number one focus is to win this fight, and then after that is to win my next one, and so on.

“I’m game to fight anybody, and I think it’s proven, and I just need to make it happen when the bell rings. I’ll keep taking what I get and I just need to make sure I keep winning.”

Having made a successful first step into the UFC, Blackburn looks to continue his surprise run and go from a little-regarded commodity to an invaluable asset in the future.

“I’d like to thank all the guys at Victory Athletics, Next Level Boxing and West Coast Fitness,” he closed out. “To all the fans, check me out; my fight will be exciting as usual.

“When they ring the bell, I’ll be fighting. I don’t bounce around and look at people, I come in swinging.”

Feb 7, 2006
WHITE WANTS FRANKIN TO MAKE RUN AT 205 TITLE

That was UFC president Dana White's response at the post-fight press conference to questions of what was next for Rich Franklin after the former middleweight champion's unanimous decision victory over Wanderlei Silva at UFC 99 in Germany this past weekend.

That comment was quite obviously made in jest, referring back to Swick's earlier comments that he wanted bigger fights after four-straight victories in the welterweight class.

In all seriousness, the UFC president intends for Franklin to move right back up from the 195-pound catchweight fight with Silva and remain in the light heavyweight division.

"We want Rich to stay at 205 pounds. He's gonna stay in the 205-pound division and take a run at the title," said White, addressing a class that has seen its title change hands four times in the past two years.

"This opportunity popped up for him and Wanderlei to fight. It was at a great weight; he felt great at that weight. It was Wanderlei's first time making that weight. To him it was a big fight, close to the weight he wants to be at."

The two made the most of the fight, exciting German fans with a Fight of the Night performance, but Franklin's win left Silva begging for more.

"Please, I want a rematch Dana (White). You're the boss, but I want a rematch," he pleaded at the press conference. "I want to fight Rich Franklin again. Judges sometimes have an opinion, but I'm thinking I want to fight Rich Franklin again. I want a rematch."

That doesn't appear to be in the cards anytime soon, however.

"I think (Rich's) next fight is gonna be with one of the top guys at 205," stated White.

That's fine by Franklin, who, before the Silva fight, foretold his future, "(Wanderlei's) a 205-pound fighter, so winning this fight would definitely put me in the mix of things at 205 pounds. How close to the title it puts me, I’m not really sure, and I really don’t care at this point and time. My main objective is to win the next fight that’s in front of me, and if at some point in time that turns into a title run, then great.”

According to White, that's exactly where the win over Silva puts him. And Franklin's never been one to argue. He pretty much toes the company line.

"I've always been one of those fighters that fights for the organization," he stated. "If they want me to fight a fight at 205, I'll fight at 205. If they want me to go back down and fight at 185, I'll fight at 185... whatever Dana asks me to do."

And Dana wants him to make that run.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce hosts open workout in Washington with Hallman, Devela, four others

Strikeforce fighter and 12-year-MMA-veteran Dennis Hallman – along with rising prospects Len Bentley, Brian Caraway, Cory Devela, Steve Hadsel and Landon Showalter – will conduct an open-to-the-public workout on June 17 at Vision Quest Sport and Fitness Center in Auburn, Wash in anticipation of Friday's "Strikeforce Challengers: Villasenor vs. Santos" event

All six fighters are appearing on Friday's card at the ShoWare Center in Kent, Wash.

Headlined by a main event of Joe Villasenor and Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos, Friday's event is the California-based Strikeforce organizations second trip to Washington.

The day's activities begin at noon PT, and the public is invited to attend the session at Vision Quest Sport and Fitness Center, 1101 Supermall Way, Auburn, Wash., 98001. Admission is free.

Hallman (40-12-2) will be headlining the evening's preliminary card against 11-year veteran Cedric Marks (26-18). Devela (9-2) will look to bounce back from a September 2008 loss to Terry Martin when he opens the evening's Showtime-televised card against Luke Rockhold (4-1)

Local fighters Bentley (3-2), Caraway (10-3), Hadsel (1-0) and Showalter (7-12-1), who each compete on the preliminary card of "Strikeforce Challengers: Villasenor vs. Santos," will also be on hand.

The full card for "Strikeforce Challengers: Villasenor vs. Santos" includes:

MAIN CARD

* Joey Villasenor (26-6) vs. Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos (16-12)
* Tim Kennedy (9-2) vs. Nick Thompson (38-10-1)
* Jorge Gurgel (12-5) vs. Conor Heun (8-2)
* Shayna Baszler (9-5) vs. Sarah Kaufman (8-0)
* Cory Devela (9-2) vs. Luke Rockhold (4-1)

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-televised)

* Dennis Hallman (40-12-2) vs. Cedric Marks (26-18)
* Brian Caraway (10-3) vs. Alex Zuniga (2-1)
* Lyle Beerbohm (9-0) vs. Duane Ludwig (18-8)
* Travis Doerge (4-8) vs. Landon Showalter (7-12-1)
* Len Bentley (3-2) vs. Marques Daniels (1-2)
* Steve Hadsel (1-0) vs. Taylor Roberts (1-1)

Feb 7, 2006
For Strikeforce's world traveler Thompson, 185 pounds latest pit stop on road to greatness

In recent years, the UFC has undoubtedly stockpiled the majority of the world's top MMA talent.

However, despite a brief two-fight run in the organization in 2005 and 2006, Minnesota-native Nick Thompson (38-10-1) has proven it is possible to succeed in the sport by seeking out the best opponents not in the world's premier organization – and compiling a solid record and reputation in the process.

Thompson's next challenge is a middleweight bout with Tim Kennedy (9-2) at Friday's "Strikeforce Challengers: Villasenor vs. 'Cyborg'" in Kent, Wash., and he recently joined MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) to discuss the bout and the future direction of his career.

"[Fighting at middleweight] is a one-time thing," Thompson said. "I am not a [185-pounder]. I don't want to be a [185-pounder].

"(But) Strikeforce didn’t offer me anything else, and at the end of the day I am a fighter and you've got to take what's offered. But hopefully thereafter I'll move back down to 170."

A natural welterweight, Thompson was forced to move up a weight class to fight in the co-feature of Friday night's Showtime-broadcast card. While Strikeforce's middleweight division is one of its deepest, Thompson believes there are plenty of fights for him in the 170-pound class.

"They've got Dennis Hallman and Duane Ludwig (at welterweight)," Thompson said. "I offered to fight either of them. I think both of them would have been great fights."

Throughout his career, Thompson has always benefited from competing as a huge welterweight – an attribute that is hugely beneficial to the soon-to-be-28-year-old's style as he overwhelms opponents with strong wrestling and powerful clinch work. While he won't be able to enjoy that same advantage in Friday's bout, the middleweight fight will provide Thompson a brief respite from his usual hard weight-cut all the way down to the welterweight limit.

"I'm having to eat extra to maintain weight, so its been kind of a different training camp this time," Thompson said. "When I'm eating healthy but eating as much as I want, (I walk around) between 190 and 195 (pounds)."

Thompson is currently riding a two-fight win streak, a run that started after a quick submission loss to former EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields in July 2008. While Thompson's preparation for the contest was hampered by his preparation for the bar exam – which he passed and is now a fully qualified lawyer, an impressive achievement by the multi-faceted character – he refuses to lean on his budding legal career as an excuse.

"[Shields] had a great gameplan and made a move I just wasn't ready for," Thompson said of the 63-second loss. "I think it had a lot more to do with Jake being very good and me making a mistake. You just can't make a mistake at that level against a guy that good.

The loss was Thompson's lone defeat in his past 15 trips to the cage. With Shields having also transitioned to Strikeforce following the collapse of EliteXC, "The Goat" does have a potential rematch in mind.

"This is the last fight on my deal with Strikeforce, but if I re-sign with Strikeforce absolutely I want the title – and I want to prove I'm a better fighter than I showed that fight," Thompson said.

A veteran of several promotions – including the UFC, EliteXC, Sengoku and BodogFIGHT, to name but a few – the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy-trained fighter has competed around the globe in his six-year career. In the past content to simply chase the best financial offer rather than stay loyal o a single organization, Thompson elaborated on where we could potentially appear after Friday's contest.

"It's going to come down to more than anything what's in the best interests of me financially," Thompson said.

Thompson said he would be happy to stay in Strikeforce if the right terms are offered, but the California-based organization is not the only promoter interested in securing his services.

"If they make the best offer, I'm more than willing to fight for Strikeforce," Thompson said. "Sengoku might offer me a contact. I know they are going to offer to re-sign me, but it might be where I can just fight for them. But I'm (also) always in discussions with the UFC."

Undoubtedly, his Friday night meeting with Army Special Forces soldier Kennedy will factor greatly into Thompson next. Fighting in an unfamiliar weight class, Thompson is thankful the quality of his opponent is helping to provide ample motivation.

"If I'm fighting at 185 pounds, I'm glad it's someone that good," Thompson said. "He's got some good wins, and he's a good fighter."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 102 main card to include Leben vs. Rosholt, Marquardt vs. Maia, and Hamill vs. Vera

Despite the event being more than two months away, UFC 102's complete televised main card is set.

The event takes place Aug. 29 at the Rose Garden in Portland, Ore., and as previously announced, Randy Couture meets Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in the main event, and Keith Jardine takes on Thiago Silva in the co-headliner.

Rounding out the televised pay-per-view main card are Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt, Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia, and Matt Hamill vs. Brandon Vera.

All of those bouts were previously reported by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), as were a slew of preliminary-card bouts the UFC today revealed.

They include Wilson Gouveia vs. James Irvin, Junior Dos Santos vs. Justin McCully, Nick Catone vs. Mark Munoz and Matt Veach Vs. Evan Dunham. None of the bouts is slated for the live broadcast, though time-permitting, they could air via tape delay during the night's pay-per-view airing.

UFC 102 marks the UFC's first-ever trip to Oregon, which is part of the U.S. Northwest, which has long had a fascination with collegiate and amateur wrestling and has since become a hotbed for MMA.

Tickets for UFC 102 go on sale later this week.

The latest UFC 102 card now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
* Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva
* Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt
* Demian Maia vs. Nate Marquardt
* Matt Hamill vs. Brandon Vera

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Wilson Gouveia vs. James Irvin
* Junior Dos Santos vs. Justin McCully
* Nick Catone vs. Mark Munoz
* Evan Dunham vs. Matt Veach
* Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Chris Tuchscherer*
* Todd Duffee vs. Mike Russow*

* - Not officially announced

Feb 7, 2006
Thursday's "Strikeforce Challengers: Villasenor vs. Cyborg" fighter weigh-ins open to public

Weigh-ins for the "Strikeforce Challengers: Villasenor vs. Cyborg" event takes place this Thursday, June 18, at the ShoWare Center's Club Lounge in Kent, Wash.

The weigh-ins, which begin at 6 p.m. PT (local time), are free and open to the public.

The weigh-in event precedes Friday's Showtime-televised Strikeforce event, which also takes place at the ShoWare Center with a main event between middleweights Joey Villasenor (26-6) and Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos (16-12).

Thursday's weigh-in will feature all 22 of the event's competitors, including co-headliners Tim Kennedy and Nick Thompson, as well as notables such as Jorge Gurgel, Sarah Kaufman, Shayna Baszler, Dennis Hallman and Duane "Bang" Ludwig.

For those who can't make the weigh-ins, stay tuned to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), which will be on scene for all the event's festivities with complete coverage.

Feb 7, 2006
TUF 9 Finale additions include Guillard vs. Tibau, Ciesnolevicz vs. Drwal, Blackburn vs. Garcia

With just four days remaining until Saturday's Spike TV-televised event, The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale has been bolstered with the official additions of three un-aired preliminary bouts.

The match-ups include Melvin Guillard (21-7-2 MMA, 5-3 UFC) vs. Gleison Tibau (17-6 MMA, 5-3 UFC), Mike Ciesnolevicz (17-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC) vs. Tomasz Drwal (15-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC), and Brad Blackburn (13-9-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC) vs. Edgar Garcia (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale takes place June 20 at The Pearl at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas.

In addition to the welterweight and lightweight finales of the current season of "TUF," Saturday's event also includes a main event of Clay Guida vs. Diego Sanchez.

Guillard, a cast member on "TUF 2," looks to extend his win streak to three straight, though he hasn't competed professionally since a 36-second TKO of Denis Siver at UFC 86 in May 2008. Tibau, meanwhile, is a replacement for an injured Thiago Tavares. Tibau has fought twice already in 2009, earning a decision win over Jeremy Stephens at UFC Fight Night 18 and a submission victory over Rich Clementi at UFC Fight Night 17.

In light-heavyweight action, Drwal looks to build on the momentum of his first career UFC win, a first-round knockout of Italian slugger Ivan Serati at UFC 93 in January. The Polish-born fighter previously appeared for the organization in a September 2007 loss to Thiago Silva at UFC 75. He'll now meet Ciesnolevicz, a replacement for an injured Eric Schafer who enters the bout with a four-fight win streak, which included a 63-second submission win via heel hook over Neil Grove at February's UFC 95 event.

And in welterweight action, Blackburn, a former IFL fighter, looks to build off his back-to-back UFC victories over James Giboo (TKO) and Ryo Chonan (unanimous decision) when he meets Garcia, a former WEC fighter who joins other refugees from the organization, which closed its 170-pound division. Garcia made an impressive debut during his one-fight stint in the WEC with a 78-second KO of Hiromitsu Miura in January.

The latest rumored card for The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale includes:

MAIN CARD

* Clay Guida vs. Diego Sanchez
* Ross Pearson vs. Andre Winner ("TUF" lightweight finale)
* DaMarques Johnson vs. Finalist No. 2 ("TUF" welterweight finale)
* Nate Diaz vs. Joe Stevenson

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Kevin Burns vs. Chris Lytle
* Melvin Guillard vs. Gleison Tibau
* Mike Ciesnolevicz vs. Tomasz Drwal
* Brad Blackburn vs. Edgar Garcia
* Jason Dent vs. Cameron Dollar*

* - Not officially announced

Feb 7, 2006
Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva officially announced for UFC 102 in Portland

A light-heavyweight bout between Keith Jardine (14-5-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC) and Thiago Silva (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) has been officially announced as an addition to August's UFC 102 card.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported in April that the two fighters had agreed to the fight, which takes place Aug. 29 at the Rose Garden in Portland, Ore., and the UFC today made it official.

The booking was secured soon after Silva was pulled from a UFC 101 fight with Forrest Griffin and replaced by UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

The UFC today emailed an updated event post that includes the Thiago Silva vs. Jardine matchup.

Thiago Silva, an American Top Team fighter, looks to rebound from his first career defeat. After reeling off four-straight wins to start his run in the UFC – and 13-straight victories overall – Silva was knocked out in a January bout with current No. 1 contender Lyoto Machida. He was then scheduled to face Griffin before "The Ultimate Fighter 1" winner and former champ was instead booked for the non-title fight with Anderson Silva.

Jardine also looks to rebound from a recent loss. Also familiar with UFC card-shuffling, Jardine had been expected to face Luiz Cane at UFC 97 in April, but a series of events led the Greg Jackson's Mixed Martial Arts fighter instead to a main event showdown with former light-heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson at UFC 96 in March.

Jardine dropped a close unanimous decision to Jackson that many observers felt was decided in the final seconds of the 15-minute affair. While Jardine has gone just 2-3 in his past five fights, the always-dangerous, awkwardly styled fighter holds wins over notables such as Brandon Vera, Chuck Liddell, Griffin and Wilson Gouveia, among others.

Based on the newest UFC 102 poster, the Jardine vs. Silva matchup will likely earn co-main-event honors over a rumored matchup between middleweights Demian Maia and Nate Marquardt.

Feb 7, 2006
TJ GRANT TO FACE DONG HYUN KIM AT UFC 100

Just 24 hours after learning that Rory Markham had to withdraw from his Ultimate Fighter Team U.S.A. vs. Team U.K. Finale bout against T.J. Grant, MMAWeekly.com has confirmed that Grant will now be removed from the event altogether. The Canadian will instead take the place of countryman Jonathan Goulet at UFC 100 to face Dong Hyun Kim.

Sources close to the newly formed bout told MMAWeekly.com that both fighters have agreed to the meeting and that bout agreements have been issued.

The new match-up was a logical choice after Markham withdrew due to a quadriceps injury, as Goulet had just recently notified UFC officials that he would be unable to compete at UFC 100 due to a dislocated shoulder, like Markham, suffered in training.

Grant now moves over to the preliminary portion of the historic UFC 100 fight card. He is currently on a five-fight winning streak, including his Octagon debut at UFC 97, a split decision win over tough Japanese fighter Ryo Chonan.

Kim is undefeated in 13 bouts. His record stands at 11-0-1 with 1 no contest. He won a split decision in his UFC debut against Matt Brown last September, before losing a split decision to Karo Parisyan at UFC 94. The bout with Parisyan was later changed to a no contest – keeping Kim's undefeated record intact – when the Armenian fighter tested positive for Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone, and Oxymorphone, three banned substances recognized for their pain relieving qualities.

UFC 100 is headlined by a heavyweight unification bout between current champion Brock Lesnar and current interim champion Frank Mir, as well as a welterweight title bout with Georges St. Pierre defending against Thiago Alves.

Feb 7, 2006
Team USA West to face off with Fedor Emelianenko’s Team Russia Imperial at M-1 Challenge South Korea

A talent rich Team USA West has been confirmed to face off with Fedor Emelianenko’s Team Russia Imperial in the newest series of the “M-1 Challenge presented by Affliction“.

The event is scheduled for the fourth of July at the Seoul Arena in Seoul, Korea.

Notable fighters competing on Team USA West include Team Quest lightweight standout Dave Jansen who has compiled an unblemished record of 11-0, middleweight Giva “The Arm Collector” Santana who has finished eleven of his twelve wins by armbar and undefeated heavyweight knockout artist Shane Del Rosario.

Along with the team battle between Team USA West and Team Russia Imperial, South Korea will be meeting Brazil and Finland will square off with Bulgaria in team competition.

A current list of the scheduled bouts for the event are listed below:

USA West vs. Russia Imperial -

Lightweight (-70 kg/154 lbs.) – Dave Jansen (USA) vs. Amirkhan Mazikhov (RUS)
Welterweight (-76 kg/167.2 lbs.) – Fabio Nasicmento (USA) vs. Marat Ilaev (RUS)
Middleweight (-84 kg/184.8 lbs.) – Giva Santana (USA) vs. Radmir Gabdulin (RUS)
Light Heavyweight (-93 kg/204.6 lbs.) – Tony Lopez (USA) vs. Viktor Nemkov (RUS)
Heavyweight (+93 kg/+ 204.6 lbs.) – Shane Del Rosario (USA) vs. Maksim Grishin (RUS)

South Korea vs. Brazil -

Lightweight (-70 kg/154 lbs.) – Nam Yui Chul (KOR) vs. Hacran Dias (BRA)
Welterweight (-76 kg/167.2 lbs.) – Do Hyung Kim (KOR) vs. Eduardo Pamplona (BRA)
Middleweight (-84 kg/184.8 lbs.) – Jae Young Kim (KOR) vs. Daniel Acacio (BRA)
Light Heavyweight (-93 kg/204.6 lbs.) - Doo Hee Lee (KOR) vs. Alexander Machado (BRA)
Heavyweight (+93 kg/+ 204.6 lbs.) - Hae Joon Yang (KOR) vs. Joaquim Ferreira (BRA)

Feb 7, 2006
MMA Quick Quote: Frank Shamrock and his stability ball ready for Nick Diaz or Tito Ortiz rematches

“Certain things didn’t go well leading up to that fight, during practice I popped a few ribs � it was really painful at the time but I thought it wouldn’t have a big impact on the fight, but as you could see it obviously did. I could feel that I couldn’t get any power in my shots so I had to keep it standing. Before the fight, I was told that I had to rest my ribs for a while so I couldn’t work out on the stability ball which is crucial to getting a good workout, most guys like to train BJJ, boxing or whatever but the stability ball encompasses all of those aspects into one. It was weird because usually I can go 3 rounds no problem but it was like my body started shutting down after the first round. I think that fight was a blessing in disguise, I changed up my training schedule and bought a new stability ball which I’ve been working out on to help me with my balance. But props to Diaz he did a great job. Of course the Diaz fight didn’t sit well with me so I definitely would like to get a rematch. There’s still plenty of fights left out there for me before I call it a day, if Tito wants to do it I wouldn’t mind kicking his ass again, I�m sure we could agree to a catch weight.”

Feb 7, 2006
Tough road back: Joe Stevenson TUF 9 Finale interview exclusive with MMAmania.com

If you have ever doubted Joe Stevenson’s toughness then now is the perfect time to stop.

That’s because his entire mixed martial arts career has revolved about that one attribute. And he’s plans to take it to a whole new level thanks to fresh perspective training with Greg Jackson and his stable of elite fighters in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Stevenson began his UFC career by competing on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 2, proving he was the toughest of them all by winning the welterweight final. His first fight coming off the show, however, didn’t go his way when he dropped a decision to “The Dentist” Josh Neer.

It was a much-needed wake up call for “Daddy.” He responded by winning his next four fights inside the Octagon, defeating guys like Melvin Guillard and Kurt Pellegrino in the process. The string of wins put Stevenson on a collision course with B.J. Penn at UFC 80 with the vacant lightweight title up for grabs.

In one of the more memorable scenes in UFC history, Stevenson was cut bad in the first round and was soaked with his own blood. In the second round, sensing that the fight would be stopped soon, Stevenson came out guns blazing. However, he was eventually forced to submit to a rear naked choke.

Despite the loss, Stevenson remained resolute.

He rebounded with a submission win over Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Gleison Tibau at UFC 86 with his signature guillotine choke. Unfortunately for Stevenson, his trip back to the top of the division was derailed shortly thereafter with back-to-back losses to Kenny Florian and Diego Sanchez.

Score two for TUF 1.

Many started labeling him as proverbial gatekeeper of the division. Stevenson was left to question his place in the division. His future in the sport. And he is still just 27-years-old. He needed a change of scenery.

And what better perspective than from MMA mastermind, Greg Jackson.

For several weeks now the recently-annointed Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt has been putting his skills to the test against Jackson’s star studded roster of successful mixed martial artists, which includes some of the very best athletes in the game today, in preparation for his showdown with Nate Diaz at TUF 9 Finale this weekend.

We caught up with Stevenson after one of his intense training sessions, and it seems like toughness is all around Joe these days. And he will need every bit of it, along with an improved skill set, if he wants to get past the young and ambitious Diaz. He talked to us about his fight with Diaz, why he no longer wants a rematch with Diego Sanchez and why he does want a rematch with Kenny Florian.

Check it out:

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Let’s go back to 2005. You won the welterweight division on season two of The Ultimate Fighter by defeating Luke Cummo. Tell us about your experience on the show?

Joe Stevenson: The experience on the show was definitely something that, when it’s all said and done, I was glad I had done. However, I have always said that is not something I would want to have to go through again though — six weeks without being able to talk to my wife and kids. It’s something you can do once, but you wouldn’t want to do it twice.

If I was giving advice to someone going in … you have to be physically, mentally and emotionally ready to step onto the plateau because if you’re not, you’re going to get eaten alive. There is no way you should go into that show just wanting to get recognized. You should be going into that show with the intent of winning it. You can’t just be happy to be there.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): You were on Team Hughes. What were some key things you learned from him and do you still keep in touch with the future hall-of-famer?

Joe Stevenson: When I see Matt around I definitely say “Hi.” Other than that, I have lost so many cell phones … I don’t have his number anymore (laughs). I do still use some of the techniques I learned from him and others on the show. It was a big melting pot of different people from different camps. Sharing my knowledge and experience with others to benefit them and having them do the same in return was awesome.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): You defeated Marcus Davis on the show when Marcus tapped out from elbow strikes in the first round. Today, Davis is considered a top welterweight. How do you think you’d do against Davis today and does that cause you to think about moving up to welterweight to shake things up in your career?

Joe Stevenson: It is crazy that you ask that. That was actually running through my mind recently. I had one of Marcus’s friends, Dale Hartt, here and we were talking about that fight. He was saying how awesome Marcus is now and that fight would be different. I have given it a lot of thought. He has improved his game, but I still see holes. I think I am a bad match up for him stylistically.

But just because someone beats you, it does not mean that you’re better rankings wise. It doesn’t mean you can automatically beat this guy or that guy. The sport is all about styles and how you match up with a person. Just as in other sports, it’s how one team matches up against another. There are so many different ways in which a fight can go so you just have to get in there and fight someone to really know.

As far being competitive with guys in the top of the welterweight division … I just had a pretty competitive fight with Diego Sanchez and he was ranked in the top 10. Rankings are subjective, though. I think I could be a threat to anyone at 170, but size does matter. Everyone said it doesn’t, but it does — especially when someone knows what they are doing. St. Pierre vs. Penn is a perfect example.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): You are now training over at Greg Jackson’ camp, alongside fellow TUF 2 castmates Keith Jardine and Rashad Evans. Is it fair to say that your time there has taken your game to another level, and if so, what specifically have you improved upon?

Joe Stevenson: I definitely can say that my time there has been well spent and I have improved vastly. The exciting part is there is lots of room to improve. I can’t go into too much detail this close to a fight. It was definitely the best move for my career though.

Knowing Keith and Rashad were there and having the opportunity to come back and be with them again in an environment where I was going to feel a little out of touch and out of tune was huge. Having those guys here has been great. There are so many great guys here to roll with. I have spent a lot of time with Donald Cerrone and Leonard Garcia. I have trained with Keith and Rashad as well. It’s been an invaluable experience.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): According to a post-fight statement, you expressed interest in a rematch with Diego Sanchez. How would the fight go any differently a second time around?

Joe Stevenson: Well, I wouldn’t let it go to decision (laughs). You can’t let it go to those judges hands. Honestly, at the point of where I am at now, I wouldn’t want to ask Greg to coach me against one of his former students. At that point, when I wanted a rematch, I didn’t know that I would be coming over to Greg Jackson’s.

So I don’t know that I would end up fighting Diego again. Training at Jackson’s camp takes precedence. If it came down to fighting Diego for a title or number one contender match, I would go to Greg and discuss the matter with him and go from there.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Since you will be fighting on the TUF 9 Finale, have you been watching this season. And if so, what are your impressions on the newest crop of fighters?

Joe Stevenson: I came out to Albuquerque, N.M., right when it started to air. I watched the first two episodes back home and then I was here. So I don’t have much to say because they don’t have cable at the house I am staying at. But from what I did see it looks like a great show.

Dan Henderson is one of my heroes. I think Michael Bipsing is a great fighter and has a lot of talent so that fight will be exciting. Michael is a very straight forward person, not fake at all. And Dan is just an awesome person and I am grateful to count him as a friend.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): You are fighting Nate Diaz at the TUF 9 Finale. Given you have a wrestling background, are a shorter fighter and will have a six-inch reach disadvantage, what will your gameplan be? Do you plan on going for take downs and controlling the fight on the ground (like Clay Guida did) or will you stand on box with your taller opponent before deciding whether to take it to the ground or not?

Joe Stevenson: Well, it will definitely start on its feet. My plan is to hit him, hit him hard and do so continuously. Let’s see if Diaz can take a punch. I will bring my full arsenal into this fight. I will stand and bang with Diaz and if I need to take him to the ground I will do that. That is about all I can reveal as far as my gameplan goes.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Diaz has only been submitted once in his career and that was early on against a more experienced Hermes Franca. Could you see yourself submitting Diaz with your guillotine or is a decision win your best bet in this fight?

Joe Stevenson: Anytime I get my arms wrapped around someone’s neck they are in serious danger of being choked out. I will be looking to finish this fight. Whether it’ss by choking him out or laying down punches until he can’t answer back. I am actually pretty good at having the referee stop the fight for a T(KO) win.

Diaz is a hard guy to knockout, though, he is always in it. So it will be a challenge to knock the guy out. I will be using my hands to loosen him up before looking to do anything else.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): In terms of your overall impact in the division you were on a tear winning one fight after the other. Then you ran into a string of tough battles, losing to top guys B.J. Penn, Kenny Florian and most recently Diego Sanchez. Do you see this fight with Diaz as a pivotal fight in your UFC career? Do you see yourself getting back on track toward title contention with a win?

Joe Stevenson: Hopefully, yeah (laughs). Any fight front of you, especially in the UFC, is a pivotal fight. You have to look at each fight the same, so yes this is a very pivotal fight. This fight is the only thing I am focused on now and I have to beat him before I can think about where I fit in. If I let those thoughts run rampant, it will just distract me from the task at hand.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Since you have fought both guys I have to ask, who is going to coming out victorious at UFC 101. Will it be B.J. Penn or Kenny Florian?

Joe Stevenson: B.J. Penn. I think he will bring too much to the table for Florian. I know Kenny is taking this fight seriously and training his butt off. Kenny has got some things he will be able to pull off against B.J., but no one is as well versed as B.J and he will have a little too much for Kenny in every avenue.

I don’t think Kenny will be able to push the pace or keep pace with B.J. Your best bet with B.J is getting him tired (like GSP did) and I think Kenny will tire out in the later rounds. You had asked me about a rematch with Diego Sanchez. I want a rematch with Kenny Florian after he loses this fight. I want that fight to get myself back into title contention.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): You are fighting alongside Diego Sanchez and Clay Guida on the TUF 9 Finale. What are your thoughts on that fight?

Joe Stevenson: I think that is going to be a great fight. I think stylistically it could actually go in Clay’s favor. But Diego is always a threat and brings a lot of tools to the table. He hits hard, has decent wrestling and great submissions. I think it will be a great fight for the fans. I could see Clay pulling out a decision win though.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Last question, Joe: This upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter will be the biggest one ever with Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans as coaches. And then there is Kimbo Slice. What are your thoughts on this season?

Joe Stevenson: I can guarantee you I will be watching the entire season (laughs).

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Time for shout outs:

Joe Stevenson: I want to thank MMA Warehouse, Warrior Wear and Sprawl. They have always been there for me. I want to say Hi to everyone back home at Cobra Kai. Thank you for the support. Thanks to all the fans and I hope everyone enjoys watching the fight with Nate Diaz.

Brian Oswald (MMAMania.com): Thank you taking the time out of your training schedule to talk to us. Good luck in your fight this Saturday night.

Feb 7, 2006
Minotauro talks training for Randy Couture

One of the most expected fights of the UFC history is confirmed to the UFC 102 main event. Former UFC and Pride champion, Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira enters the octagon to face Randy Couture, at August 29th in Portland, United States. In exclusive interview to TATAME Magazine’s June’s issue, the Brazilian spoke about the fight.

“He’s a very expert and tactical fighter, will try to take me down and work on the ground and pound, I think he’s gonna believe in his striking, but my striking is better, I’m doing a lot of boxing. He’s an athlete. In the stand up, we’ll have a lot of things to show, I think it’s gonna be a great fight”, commented the Brazilian. Besides the heavyweight clash, other five Brazilian may fight in the UFC 102 octagon, like Demian Maia, Thiago Silva, Junior dos Santos, Wilson Gouveia and Gabriel Gonzaga.

Feb 7, 2006
José Aldo eyes Mike Brown’s title

José Aldo doesn’t give chances to his opponents in the WEC. The fighter won his fifth consecutive fight, needing only 8 seconds to destroy Cub Swanson and get the bonus for the best knockout of the night. Aldo confesses that didn’t expect a victory that fast, but was very happy with the extra money he received.

"I really didn’t expect that the fight ended so quickly, because we trained to fight all three rounds, but, when I have a gap to fit the strikes at the beginning, I don’t let go and it happened. This extra award has come to help me much... I’m very happy, thank God", said the fighter, who already imagines a possible confrontation against the WEC champion, Mike Brown.

"It would be a great fight, I think he’d want to strike with me and then try to take me down. I’m training a lot on the ground and I’m progressing very well. I’ve already seen three of his fights and I believe that I have chances. When my time comes, you can be sure that I’ll study better his game to be able to put on a good strategy", guaranteed Aldo.

Feb 7, 2006
Maurício Shogun Interview

After two victories in the UFC octagon, the last one against the former light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell, Maurício Shogun wil had the chance for the UFC belt against the champion Lyoto Machida. In exclusive interview to TATAME.com, Shogun spoke for the first time about the training for the title fight and guaranteed he’ll be ready for the challenge. In the exclusive below, he also spoke about a possible training with the Axe Murderer and Rafael Cordeiro and more.

How is the training to face Lyoto Machida for the title?
We're training, but light for a while. I'm focused, but I still have about four months to get prepared for this fight. It will be tough, it’s hard to find sparring with Lyoto’s style, but I’ll prepare myself the best way for this fight.

You already trained with Lyoto in the Chute Boxe and know his style. What is the strategy for this fight?
He only fought top guys and did it very well, no one put the hand on him. He beat Thiago Silva, Tito Ortiz and Rashad Evans, but fight is fight and anything can happen. Lyoto has adapted very well to MMA and the octagon, let’s see what he does best to create the strategy.

Sérgio Cunha will continue working with you?
We haven’t decided anything about it, we will still talk to define, but for now I'm training normally in UDL, doing a lot of physical preparation.

What did you think of the fight of your ex-partner of Chute Boxe, Wanderlei Silva, against Rich Franklin?
Wanderlei fought better than the other times. Master Rafael (Cordeiro) helped a lot and I think that Wandeco should continue with him. I watched the fight twice, at the first I thought that Wanderlei won, in the second I was in doubt, but the judges could have given the victory to him, because I thought he won the first and third round.

Unlike what happened with Chuck Liddell, Dana White didn’t cogitate Wanderlei’s retirement, even after three losses in four fights in the UFC. What Wanderlei needs to do to get back to victories in the UFC?
Wanderlei trains every day in the octagon and with Rafael, who knows well his style, he will turn things around. He is a showman, likes to fight to knockout and is still a young guy, he’s 32 years old. Rich Franklin, for example, is 36. Wandeco has to focus more on his technical part and continue fighting, because as I said, he’s still very young. I want to fight until 35 years old, but Wanderlei should fight until 40 (laughts). He loves fighting!

Now that Rafael Cordeiro is with Wanderlei, do you pretend to go to Las Vegas to train with them?
Master Rafael formed me black belt and I’m very proud of it. Unfortunately the team split and I never spoke with Rafael again, but if we meet each other I'll talk to him for sure, but I like my city and my country and don’t pretend to go train overseas.

Feb 7, 2006
Shooto champ Shinichi 'BJ' Kojima set to fight July 19

The other top ranked "BJ," 123-pound Shooto world champion Shinichi Kojima, will be taking on Shooto South American champ Jucie Formiga on July 19 at the Korakuen Hall in Tokyo.

Neither title will be on the line in this Sustain-promoted event.

Kojima (10-3-5) successfully defended his title for the third time in March against Yuki Shoujou and has been dominant fighting in Shooto's flyweight class.

Formiga (2-0) out of Nova Uniao is undefeated in two bouts in Shooto Brazil events.

Feb 7, 2006
Cage Force June 27th! Nagata And Hironaka Clash

Good fights outside of DREAM and SENGOKU in Japan keep getting announced. A Lightweight fight between DREAM participants Katsuhiko Nagata and Kuniyoshi Hironaka was announced today for Cage Force’s June 27th card.

Both participated in the 20th event of ZST on May 24th. Nagata’s tag team match ended in a draw while Hironaka made a successful debut at a lower weight as he submitted Naoyuki Kotani.

Also on the card, Daiju Takase will look to get back on track against Team Cloud’s (Akiyama’s Gym) Shuji Morikawa. Takase’s blog has received a lot of buzz in the Japanese MMA scene these days since he started writing a series about the light and shadow of MMA (or something like that). He says that he gets over 100,000 hits per day.

Feb 7, 2006
Herb Dean to oversee Lesnar vs. Mir II, Steve Mazzagatti draws St. Pierre vs. Alves

Veteran referees Herb Dean and Steve Mazzagatti have been officially appointed as the third men in the cage for the UFC's upcoming title fights.

Dean will oversee the heavyweight title unification match at UFC 100 between current champion Brock Lesnar and interim title-holder Frank Mir, while Mazzagatti will referee the same card's welterweight title fight between champion Georges St. Pierre and challenger Thiago Alves,

The decision was made at the Nevada State Athletic Commission's June meeting, and NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer confirmed the appointments on Tuesday's edition of "GoodSports," co-hosted by MMAjunkie.com Radio's George Garcia.

UFC 100 takes place July 11 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The two title fights cap off an 11-fight card for the UFC that also includes "The Ultimate Fighter 9" coaches Dan Henderson and Michael Bisping squaring off in a middleweight bout.

UFC president Dana White has openly criticized Mazzagatti's performance on multiple occasions, including as recently as Friday's UFC 99 Fan Club Q&A session in Cologne, Germany.

Despite White's concerns, Kizer said he has no problem with appointing Mazzagatti – who works as a firefighter when he's not in the cage – to one of the sport's most important contests.

"I don't know why Steve's got such a bad rap from Dana," Kizer said. "All I can think of is Steve, as a fireman, he has paramedic training. I think compared to the other referees, he probably knows better if a guy is hurt or not."

Kizer also said Mario Yamasaki and Yves Lavigne would be in charge of additional bouts on the UFC 100 card, while Dean, Mazzagatti, Josh Rosenthal and Kim Winslow are working Saturday night's The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale at The Pearl at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas.

Feb 7, 2006
CARANO, CYBORG, WOMEN GET 5-MINUTE ROUNDS

Late last week, leading mixed martial arts promoter STRIKEFORCE received approval from the state athletic commissions supervising its upcoming events—Washington (Friday, June 19); and California (Aug. 15)—to have its female professional mixed martial arts bouts contested at the professional standard of five-minute rounds.

Until now, three-minute rounds were the norm for most female fights in the United States.

“We are proud to be leading this movement in Mixed Martial Arts,” said Scott Coker, Founder and CEO of STRIKEFORCE. “This will allow the women competing at the elite professional level ample time to set up and fully execute a particular fight strategy. This is another great day for all of us in MMA.”

An internal statement from STRIKEFORCE Rules Director Cory Schafer, announcing the news to the company, read in part: “...limiting each round to three minutes in duration was designed (by state athletic commissions) as a safety measure for the protection of less experienced fighters, with no designation for gender. It was never intended as a gender bias against female professionals…”

Schafer’s statement continued, “Use of this standard will level the playing field for (the) female athletes in providing them with the time necessary to develop and execute their striking and grappling strategies in each round.”

“It is great that the largest stage females have in MMA is setting a solid foundation in implementing five-minute rounds,” said Gina Carano, who is set to face Cris Cyborg in the first women’s main event, a championship fight (five, 5-minute rounds) on August 15 on SHOWTIME. “I feel Strikeforce is taking female fighters seriously, which means we will be seeing some amazing fights in the future and I am honored to be a part of it.”

“This is a great opportunity for Shayna (Baszler) and me to have this happen before our fight,” said Sarah Kaufman (9-0 of Victoria, B.C.) who will face Baszler on Friday night’s Strikeforce Challengers card in Kent, Wash. (SHOWTIME, 11 p.m. ET/PT). “I am always ready to go five-minute rounds and I know Shayna will also be ready. More importantly, this is long-awaited recognition that we are competing at the highest level of the sport.”