MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Abel Cullum In DREAM GP! 2 Or 3 Spots Left

New Mexico’s Abel Cullum has signed to participate in the DREAM Featherweight GP in March according to NewMexicoCombatSports.com. He is the current King Of The Cage Flyweight champion and participated in the first ever EliteXC Bantamweight title fight against Wilson Reis. You can discuss the news here.

HEIWA DREAM.7 Featherweight GP 2009 1st Round
Date: March 8th, 2009
Place: Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan

Featherweight GP Participants:
Masakazu Imanari
Hiroyuki Takaya
Takafumi Otsuka
Hideo Tokoro
Wicky Akiyo
Atsushi Yamamoto
Bibiano Fernandes
Micah Miller
Chase Beebe
Joe Warren
Kim Jong Won
SHOJI/DJ.taiki

Possible Featherweight GP Participants:
Abel Cullum

Possible Participants:
Gegard Mousasi
Melvin Manhoe

Feb 7, 2006
DAN MILLER: ANY TIME, ANY PLACE

You’d think Sparta, N.J. middleweight Dan Miller would welcome the opportunity, fists and all, to take a fight in snow-proof Florida.

“I’m not really a warm weather guy,” he counters. “I like the winter.”

In what’s become a pattern for the East Coast fighter, Miller stepped in on a month’s notice to replace an injured Alessio Sakara for a fight against WEC graduate Jake Rosholt. By now, the standard six to eight-week training camps are foreign to him.

“At this point, I’ll take the fight when they make the call,” he tells MMAWeekly Radio.

Miller is not the only one who’s had to make a quick decision. Half of the main event’s original draw, Hermes Franca, was forced to bow out after a knee injury. “The Ultimate Fighter” season seven winner, Amir Sadollah, was scratched due to yet another injury in the weeks before his fight. TUF 6 alum George Sotiropolous was replaced with Matt Veach after sustaining a rib injury.

That’s a lot of opportunity for guys like Miller. The call from Silva was an okay-go moment – he had gone for seconds during the holidays and knew he was in for a grueling month.

“Usually I’m sore as hell – can’t really move – but it’s something you have to do,” he says of the short camps. “I was coming off the holidays, I kind of slacked a little bit. I wasn’t in normal fight shape, but I wasn’t in bad shape.”

The 27-year-old Miller hopes to give Rosholt a chilly reception when they meet at Ultimate Fight Night 17. Rosholt’s wrestling credentials are impressive – a three-time NCAA Division I champ at the famed Oklahoma State University – but like a lot of young converts, his hands lag behind his ground skills. That’s something Miller plans to take advantage of.

“A big thing is throwing good straight punches,” Miller says. “So I think that’s going to work well for me in this fight.”

If he ends up on his back, Miller feels confident he can handle Rosholt’s skills on the ground.

“I always train off my back,” he said. “We knew there we were wrestlers coming in. We knew we would probably be able to take most people down. So it was getting comfortable fighting off our back. I’ve been doing that since I started.”

After a hard fought decision against tough veteran Matt Horwich, Miller hopes the fight delivers excitement. There’s no guarantee his fight will be shown on TV, but a good performance would bring more eyeballs, and more sponsorship money. It’s a big concession for the short notice, even as he won’t have much time to enjoy his victory. Brother Jim Miller is on tap for a tough fight against Gray Maynard at UFC 96. If he's healthy, he'll be back at the gym on Monday.

“It’s the level that I’m at right now,” Miller says. “I can hang with anyone that they bring to the table.”

Feb 7, 2006
UFC HAS NEW RULES FOR CUTMEN AND CORNERS

Following a week of controversy after the Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn fight in which Vaseline was applied to the Canadian by one of his cornermen in between rounds, the UFC has instituted new policies regarding cut men and how the corners are allowed to enter during the breaks in between rounds for this weekend's UFC Fight Night 17 show in Tampa, Fla.

According to sources close to the situation, the UFC has now instructed that cornermen associated with the fighters will no longer be allowed to handle the Vaseline used in between rounds to treat and prevent cuts.

The UFC will now provide one cut man for each corner for the fight. Only two people are allowed to enter the Octagon between rounds so if a cut man is necessary to apply Vaseline or work on a cut, one of the other cornermen working with the fighter must exit the cage to allow the cut man to work.

This is all following the controversy surrounding St. Pierre cornerman, Phil Nurse, applying Vaseline to his fighter's face in between rounds and then moving his hands to the Canadian's chest and back to help with a breathing technique at UFC 94. Because his hands may have still had Vaseline left on them, Penn's camp was compelled to file a letter with the Nevada State Athletic Commission asking for an investigation into the matter.

Though there has been no official word from the UFC if this ruling will be instituted in other states or if Florida previously approved the matter, several MMAWeekly.com sources indicated that the new rules regarding Vaseline use have been presented as permanent.

Feb 7, 2006
HDNET REACHES DEAL TO AIR SENGOKU EVENTS

HDNet Fights has reached an agreement with World Victory Road to broadcast Sengoku events, beginning with Sengoku 8 on March 20. The opening round of the promotion's Featherweight Grand Prix highlights Sengoku 8.

The announcement was made on Inside MMA by Kenny Rice, which continues HDNet’s pledge to be the premier network for mixed martial arts by adding yet another organization to their broadcasting line-up. HDNet already broadcasts DREAM, K-1, K-1 Max, Strikeforce, Adrenaline MMA, Sportfight, Maximum Fighting Championships, M-1 Global, Ring of Fire, Affliction, and others.

Announced participants for the Sengoku Featherweight Grand Prix so far include Hatsu Hioki, Chris Manuel, Marlon Sandro, Nick Denis, Ronnie Mann, Masanori Kanehara, Tatsuya Yamada, and Chang Son Jon.

In a non-tournament bout for Sengoku 8, King of Pancrase light heavyweight champion Ryo Kawamura will face off with the eccentric “King Mo” Muhammed Lawal.

Feb 7, 2006
ALVES STARTS PREP FOR SHOWDOWN WITH ST. PIERRE

Sitting cage side for possibly the biggest fight in MMA history, Thiago "Pitbull" Alves had the most watchful eye of anybody in the crowd at UFC 94. He knew that the winner would soon land in his crosshairs, being the No. 1 contender in the UFC welterweight division.

Prior to the fight, Alves had said he thought Penn would win the fight, but he was rooting for St. Pierre because he wanted his title shot. If the Hawaiian won and held two titles, nothing was guaranteed. When it was all said and done, St. Pierre dominated Penn like no other fighter ever has and even Alves was surprised by the outcome.

"I thought GSP looked really good like he always does, but B.J. Penn I think didn't show up to fight at all," Alves told MMAWeekly Radio on Wednesday. "I don't even know what happened with him, I just don't think that was the B.J. Penn we're used to seeing. Even in the first round he didn't put up no fight against GSP, he was always playing the defense side, never attacked him, never actually put up a fight.

"I was expecting more from B.J., but props to GSP. He looked really good."

After the fight was over, Alves was brought into the Octagon to officially lay claim to the No. 1 contender's spot, and even though he could have taken the low road and gone for the throat, he remained respectful throughout.

"I'm a big fan of B.J. I'm a big fan of Georges St. Pierre. There's no reason for trash talking. What can you say about Georges? There's nothing bad you can say about the guy," Alves said. "He's the perfect athlete. He's the man. He's the champion. I've just got a lot of respect, but I want everything that he has. I want to take the belt away from him. I want the fame. I want the money. "

Alves will now head back into training with his compatriots at American Top Team to get ready for St. Pierre. Following his last fight, against Josh Koscheck in October 2008, Alves suffered a hand injury. The Brazilian admits that he still isn't heeled completely, but he'll be ready in plenty of time for his next fight, which will likely be in the summer of 2009 against St. Pierre.

"My hand is not 100-percent yet. Still in therapy, but the thing is I didn't break anything, I just sprained a ligament really bad and the cartilage between the bones kind of got destroyed. So we're working on it and everything, but by the fight, I think the fight's going to be July 4th, I'll be 100-percent," Alves stated.

"I'm the luckiest guy in the world. Everything just works really good for me. I had the hand injury, so I took two months off pretty much and my body's just heeled up. I'm hungry. I'm hungry to get back in the gym again, and go through the punishment that the training is and the training camp getting ready for the fight. I can't wait. Even for the diet to lose weight, can you believe that? That's how excited I am!"

The excitement of fulfilling a lifelong dream will soon come to fruition for Alves, and he says when St. Pierre steps in the Octagon to face him, he won't be alone.

"Once I step in there it's not going to be just me. It's going to be my family, all of my teammates, and everybody. I'm really excited about it," commented Alves.

Named the 2008 Fighter of the Year by MMAWeekly.com, Alves promises an even more stellar performance in this calendar year.

"2009 is going to be even better. I'm really excited about it."

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Quick Quote: Anderson Silva may not retire after all

“When he came out and we started representing him, I asked him what his long term goal was. He always said he imagined himself retiring at 35. That’s his goal. And my goal as his manager is to set him up financially so that he has a choice. Do I think he’s going to retire at 35? No, I don’t.”

Ed Soares — the manager for UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva — casts a shadow of doubt via MMA Fanhouse on the September 2008 retirement statements made by “The Spider,” who’s been adamant about hanging up his gloves when he fulfills his contractual obligations and hits the ripe old age of 35. Silva turns 34 in April and has five fights remaining on his contract, meaning he could very well retire around the time he initially mentioned — assuming his manager hasn’t done us all a favor and talked him out of it before then.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Quick Quote: Rashad Evans not scared of Lyoto Machida

“He looked good [against Thiago Silva]. He’s going to be tough to beat — Machida is tough. Machida is clever man, that dude is tough. He ain’t got me worried. I’m not scared. I have a lot of respect for him, but I’m going to win…. I’m going to have fun with it.”

– UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans talks to Steve Cofield about a potential future match up against undefeated top division contender, Lyoto Machida. “Dragon” iced Thiago Silva at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2″ last week, solidfying his position as a serious threat to “Sugar’s” crown. The Brazilian will more than likely be awarded the opportunity to snatch Evans’ belt sometime in 2009 … it’s just a matter of when. If former division kingpin Quinton “Rampage” Jackson can toppled Keith Jardine in March, he is likely next in line (barring injury). If he loses, Machida will get the nod. At the very least, Machida is one win away from a crack at Evans. Regardless of when it happens it’s long overdue.

Feb 7, 2006
Eddie Alvarez’s next move less than certain

The Bellator Fighting Championships announced earlier this month that it had signed former WAMMA lightweight title challenger Eddie Alvarez to an exclusive contract.

“Bellator Fighting Championships, a first of its kind mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion, officially announced today the exclusive signing of top-ranked Eddie Alvarez,” a recent press released issued by the promotion stated. “Alvarez will compete in the lightweight (155 lb.) division of Bellator’s tournament style events which premiere on ESPN Deportes in April 2009.”

However, Alvarez’s involvement with Bellator’s lightweight tournament might not yet be a done deal. FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned that Alvarez’s contract with ProElite-owned EliteXC is one of 41 agreements acquired by Strikeforce during this week’s acquisition of select assets.

Despite the uncertainty, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney insisted Alavrez has an exclusive deal with his promotion when contacted by Five Ounces of Pain for comment on Friday.

“Eddie’s one of the best lightweights in MMA and our exclusive long-term promotional agreement with him will see him fighting in our tournament this April on ESPN Deportes and in a collection of Bellator events in the coming years,” Rebney stated in an e-maiol. “Our company’s relationship with Monte (Cox) is very strong and we will be working directly with Monte to maximize Eddie’s overall positioning in the sport.”

Upon being contact by Five Ounces of Pain, Cox confirmed that Alvarez’s ProElite contract had been acquired by Strikeforce but supported Rebney’s position and reaffirmed his client’s planned involvement with Bellator’s lightweight tournament.

According to Cox, Alvarez’s primary promotional rights belong to Adrenaline MMA and that contracts with companies such as EliteXC and DREAM are superseded by Alvarez’s pact with Cox. However, the long-time manager and promoter added that a meeting with Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker could be neccessary to clarify any confusion over Alvarez’s contractual committments.

Feb 7, 2006
PPV Numbers Come Into Focus

Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter updates the numbers for UFC91 and 92, and portends of a strong number for 93:

Update on PPV numbers. For UFC 91 (Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture), the show is at this point verified as doing 920,000 buys. It will probably end up just under or possibly just over one million when all late buys are tabulated. UFC 92 (triple main) is at 1 million. We don’t have a number for UFC 93 based on actual numbers, but trending data indicates about 320,000 buys, a shockingly high number, as it would have beat out the live UFC 90 from Chicago and been nearly 100,000 more buys than any prior U.K. show.

Over 300k buys for the Henderson vs Franklin card would be a hugely surprising number, and let’s you know just how much the ESPN coverage for UFC 91 provided a rising tide that lifted all UFC boats. The great thing about new fans coming under the tent is that they don’t know they aren’t supposed to order those UK cards. The overseas cards usually draw in the 200 to 225k range on a consistent basis. I think the high number centers around the new fans more so than either Henderson or Franklin being draws that can pull disproportionate numbers to similar overseas cards.

Another little tidbit from the Observer on NY MMA legislation:

White said if the bill to legalize MMA in New York state includes a 10% gate tax, then they will not run in New York. Maryland and Hawaii’s regulations for MMA call for a 10% tax and UFC won’t go to either state. White felt taxing them so much higher than the other sports constituted legalizing the sport but at the same time trying to keep them out.

Feb 7, 2006
Machida, Vera on HDNet ‘Inside MMA’
videolink: http://sherdog.com/videos/recent/Machida-Vera-on-HDNet-Inside-MMA-1911
On this week’s HDNet “Inside MMA,” Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten break down UFC 94 and the big George St. Pierre-B.J. Penn rematch. Among the panelists joining them in the studio is UFC light heavyweights Brandon Vera and Lyoto Machida.

In Kruck's Korner, Ron talks to skateboard sensation Ryan Sheckler about his Fight for a Cause charity event.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce CEO Talks ProElite, Showtime, Fighter Acquisitions

The fight game can change in the blink of an eye. In ProElite’s case, 14 seconds -- the time it took Seth Petruzelli to knock out Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson -- marked the unofficial end to the company’s top promotion, EliteXC.

In the months that followed, negotiations were fast and furious, as a number of rival promoters looked to swoop in on ProElite’s assets. News broke late last week that Strikeforce had won the lottery while also landing a deal with Showtime.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker discussed the intricacies of the deal during a recent installment of “Beatdown” on the Sherdog Radio Network.

“It was a complicated deal in the sense that we needed to come out and hammer the deal out with ProElite and make sure they were happy and make sure CBS and Showtime were happy,” Coker said. “Then CBS and Showtime had to have some type of business resolution with ProElite. So it was a triangle, not just doing business with one-on-one entities.”

Coker expects ProElite to continue conducting business with smaller promotions.

“At the end of the day for Pro Elite, they’re going to continue doing business, it sounds like, with King of the Cage,” Coker said. “I think we only took 42 of the fighters, so they’ll have about 100 fighters that will still be able to fight for King of the Cage or Icon Sport or Cage Rage or Rumble on the Rock.”

Maintaining a strong relationship with CBS and Showtime seems vitally important to the Strikeforce CEO.

“[As for] CBS and Showtime, we’re going to do our best to provide them with the best fights we can put together and do the matchups with the assets we took from ProElite and the roster we currently have,” Coker said. “I think we’re going to have some compelling matchups.”

The deal Strikeforce struck with CBS and Showtime includes promoting up to 16 live fight cards, with four of those airing on CBS. Strikeforce could double its output from 2008, when it only put on eight shows. The 42 fighter contracts acquired include some of the bigger names available, many of which will be on display at Strikeforce’s scheduled April 11 show.

“You can imagine the top 10 -- the Frank Shamrocks, the Robbie Lawlers, the Gina Caranos and the Kimbo Slices of the world, all the way down to some of the guys we thought were the up-and-coming stars of the future,” Coker said. “We went down the roster with a couple of my teammates, and we said, ‘What do you think about this guy? What about this guy?’ Not just the top tier guys … we took some of the fighters we thought would be helpful in continuing to grow Strikeforce.”

Showtime representatives also had input.

“Some of the fighters were people you’ve already seen on Showtime, and they wanted to have a certain continuity with their fans and the fighters that fought on Showtime,” Coker said. “That was also a factor.”

Strikeforce already announced one matchup for the April 11 show -- a middleweight bout pairing knockout artists Scott Smith and Benji Radach. Shamrock, the former Strikeforce middleweight champion, has also been booked, although an opponent has not been named.

Coker admits the fighter contracts have the potential to become problematic. Similar to the deal in which the UFC bought Pride Fighting Championships in 2007, questions remain as to whether or not the ProElite contracts are transferable.

“I talked to -- before we did the deal -- the attorneys, and the attorneys feel we have a strong position to have the contracts transferable,” Coker said. “To me, it’s very simple; there could be a legal remedy or there could be a business remedy. I’m all about creating a business remedy. If you guys know anyone I’ve done business with, it’s never with a hammer over the head. I want to be in business with people that want to be in business with me, and I think that we just increased our brand and ability to grow the sport with this distribution deal we obtained. That’s really my opinion.”

The increased workload for the San Jose, Calif.-based promotion will require some changes to the way it does business, but Coker does not see the need for any drastic moves.

“We’ll hire a few more key employees,” Coker said, “but I’m not going to hire 100 people just to have this guy or that guy. There will be a certain amount of people we’ll need to strategically employ to execute this plan, but promoting eight fights a year with the team we had was very doable. We probably could’ve done one a month. We just didn’t need to do one a month last year. Going to 12 or 16, we could hire a couple of people and get it done.”

Coker has learned from the mistakes of others.

“You’ve seen what happened with some of these companies that have blown up and hired a zillion people and two years later are out of business,” he said. “We have to be smart with what we’re doing. All these decisions will be based on sound business decisions based on how we’re doing and how we’re able to produce these events and profit-and-loss statements. Those will all be a determining factor of how fast we’ll expand.”

Will Strikeforce promote more events outside its home base in San Jose?

“That’s a good question,” Coker said. “We’re going to be meeting with everyone in New York at the end of this month and lay out the whole year. I think that we will do fights on the West Coast, probably in the Seattle region. We’ll probably go back to the [Playboy] Mansion because the Mansion fight is a lot of fun. I understand, with the amount of shows we’re going to need to do, we’re going to have to go on the road. We’ve had offers from different casinos around the country to do fights, and I think we’re going to take up those offers at this point.”

With the acquisition of 42 fighter contracts and the television deal with CBS and Showtime, Strikeforce has set itself up as the strongest competitor to date for the UFC. Unlike some of his predecessors, Coker does not expect his relationship with UFC President Dana White to change much. The two remain cordial.

“He’s always been very nice to me,” Coker said. “We’ve always had a good relationship. There’s never been any bad talk. I think the issue was with companies before that came out and called UFC out saying our fighters were better than your fighters or saying this is better. You’re not going to hear that from us. That’s not what we’re about.”

Coker has a deep respect for what White and Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta have done for the sport of mixed martial arts.

“They built the industry here in America,” Coker said. “Would we be talking right now if they didn’t do that deal and UFC didn’t spend the money to build it? Probably not. I’m very respectful of that, and I know where they’re at in the marketplace today. We just want to run our business and do what we do and be a profitable company and do amazing fights and do our part. That’s really the goal.”

Feb 7, 2006
‘Cyborg’ Signs with Strikeforce; Carano in Talks

Strikeforce stands to inherit the most anticipated female fight of all time.

Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos agreed to a world-exclusive, four-fight deal over the weekend with the promotion, which landed a multi-year agreement last week to broadcast up to 16 events a year on Showtime, along with an additional four shows on CBS.

Santos’ contract was one of 42 fighter agreements the San Jose-based promotion picked up in a limited assets deal with Pro Elite last week, although the contract was altered “to some extent,” to ensure the Chute Boxe fighter became an exclusive commodity for Strikeforce.

As part of the new agreement, Santos will not face Golden Glory’s Marloes Coenen at XMMA 7 “Inferno” on Feb. 27 at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

“Santos will fight on one of our next two cards,” said Mike Afromowitz, Strikeforce’s Director of Communications.

Strikeforce’s next event will be held April 11 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., and will also be broadcast on Showtime. Another show could follow as early as May.

Santos (6-1) fought two times for Pro Elite in 2008 under its EliteXC banner. Both were impressive displays of the Brazilian’s aggressive striking style and fueled talk that “Cyborg” might walk among the world’s best.

Gina Carano, who carries an unblemished 7-0 record and anchored two EliteXC “Saturday Night Fights” shows on CBS in 2008 that were watched by millions, has been named a worthy foil for Santos’ skills. Carano’s contract was also acquired by Strikeforce, although -- like Santos’ -- it appears to be undergoing a bit of tweaking too.

“I talked to -- before we did the deal -- the attorneys, and the attorneys feel we have a strong position to have the contracts transferable,” Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Friday. “To me, it’s very simple; there could be a legal remedy or there could be a business remedy. I’m all about creating a business remedy.”

Carano could be considered the crowned jewel of the entire EliteXC collection. The “American Gladiators” star appeared in a Pepsi ad alongside Bruce Lee during the Super Bowl and has even drawn interest from UFC President Dana White in recent months, who considered putting her on a WEC card.

“We’ve invited Gina to fight on the first card, but I can’t confirm yet if she’ll be fighting,” said Afromowitz.

Negotiations between Carano’s management and Strikeforce continue this week, presumably to bolster the fighter’s pay purse for future bouts. Carano earned only $25,000 for her victory over Kelly Kobold last October, but has garnered attention the world over as “the face of women’s MMA.”

Afromowitz confirmed that Santos, 23, and Carano, 26, would not meet each other on April 11 even if they both join the card.

Strikeforce will also be a family affair for the chiseled Santos. Her husband, Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos, was also signed to the promotion in 2008, but the gritty veteran has yet to fight for them.

“My dream is to fight in the same event and in same night with my husband Evangelista Cyborg,” said Santos in a statement provided by Strikeforce. “I'm very happy to again fight for the Americans fans. Strikeforce is now number two in the world.”

Feb 7, 2006
Joe Lauzon makes his case for fights with Nate Diaz, Hermes Franca

Following this past weekend's UFC Fight Night 17 submission victory over Jeremy Stephens, headliner Joe Lauzon was asked where he sees himself in a quickly crowding lightweight title picture.

The 24-year-old Lauzon has made steady progress up the division's ladder, and the only loss of his UFC career came to now-top 155-pound contender Kenny Florian last year.

Not sure exactly where he ranks, but wanting to face fellow contenders, Lauzon had a suggestion for his next match-up: his fellow cast member from "The Ultimate Fighter 5," Nate Diaz.

Lauzon and Diaz were among a small group of favorites when they entered the fifth-season cast of the UFC's reality series. Fighting primarily in the Northeast, Lauzon had posted a 13-3 record (with 12 submission victories and a knockout), which included a shocking upset of Jens Pulver in his octagon debut at UFC 63. A young Diaz, meanwhile, had made a name for himself on the West Coast while going 5-2 fighting for major organizations such as the WEC and Strikeforce.

Despite being on opposite teams – Lauzon was drafted onto B.J. Penn's team, and Diaz fought for rival coach Jens Pulver's squad – their paths never crossed on the show. Lauzon advanced to the semifinals with victories over Brian Geraghty and Cole Miller, but he was eventually stopped by Manny Gamburyan, who lost (due to a shoulder injury) to Diaz in the show's live finale.

Lauzon knows many fans were hoping to see him fight either one of the two finalists, and he hasn't closed the door on that opportunity – especially when it comes to Diaz.

"I like Nate a lot, and I like Manny a lot," Lauzon said. "If the UFC wants me to fight one of those guys, I'd guess probably (I'd want) more so Nate than Manny. I think a lot of people were waiting for that fight. When I was in the (The Ultimate Fighter) house, I was looking forward to that fight. No one really wanted that fight. I was like, 'I'll fight Nate.' I thought he was one of the better guys in the house."

However, the good-natured Lauzon, a self-proclaimed "computer geek" with an ever-growing fan base, knows the match-up could end any friendship he has with Diaz. After all, when it comes to Nate – and his brother Nick, a UFC veteran and fellow Cesar Gracie-trained fighter – hostility and bad blood are just part of the fight game.

"I like Nate," Lauzon said. "Me and Nate are real cool right now. But if it gets to the point where we were going to sign on the dotted line and we were going to fight each other, he'd hate me up until the fight. ... That's the just way it is for him."

"But I just have a ton of respect for him."

The fight could be quite marketable, as well. Since "The Ultimate Fighter 5," Diaz and Lauzon have been the show's biggest success stories. Lauzon is now 5-1 in the UFC with two UFC Fight Night main-events, a Fight of the Night award (in the loss to Florian) and a Submission of the Night bonus from the Stephens fight. Diaz, meanwhile, is also 5-1 in the octagon with his only loss coming to Clay Guida via close split decision last month at UFC 94. Like Lauzon, Diaz has been awarded for some stellar performance, which resulted in two Fight of the Night bonuses (from the Guida loss and a split-decision win over Josh Neer) and a Submission of the Night award (vs. Kurt Pellegrino).

Surely, Spike TV sees the marketability, as well. With the cable station and longtime UFC partner preferring to showcase "TUF" veterans, a UFC Fight Night event headlined by Diaz and Lauzon could surely generate some interest, especially if the UFC were to venture to Lauzon's home near Boston or Diaz's near Stockton, Calif.

Of course, despite setting his sights with Diaz, Lauzon hasn't forgotten about his budding feud with Hermes Franca, whom he was originally scheduled to fight at UFC Fight Night 17. Two weeks before the fight, Franca pulled out of the bout with a torn ACL. His training partner and friend Stephens took the vacant spot.

However, soon after announcing he was off the fight card, Franca tangled with Lauzon on The Underground, a popular MMA forum. Lauzon wished Franca good luck with his recovering, but when he responded, Franca took a swipe at Lauzon's brother, Affliction fighter Dan Lauzon, about his recent performance. The war of words quickly escalated.

"I think he talked a lot of trash for a guy who backed out of the fight," Lauzon said. "I didn't say anything bad about him. When I started fighting, I used to be a big fan of Hermes, but now I'd still like to fight him."

Feb 7, 2006
Nissen Osterneck vs. Jorge Rivera on tap for UFC Fight Night 18

One-time WEC fighter Nissen Osterneck (5-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who was moved to the UFC after WEC officials eliminated the organization's middleweight division, will make his octagon debut on April 1 at UFC Fight Night 18.

The UFC rookie takes on longtime UFC fighter and "The Ultimate Fighter 4" cast member Jorge Rivera (15-7 MMA, 4-5 UFC).

Osterneck today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the fight has been signed and is now official.

MMAjunkie.com first mentioned the likelihood of the fight in a recent "Fight Path" column on Osterneck.

Osterneck, a 28-year-old Brazilian jiu-jitsu specialist who's work diligently on his striking the past few years, signed with the WEC in 2008. His debut was delayed due to an injury, but he eventually replaced an injured Danillo Villefort and fought highly touted three-time NCAA wrestling champion Jake Rosholt in late 2008.

Both fighters had their moments in the sometimes-sloppy affair, and Osterneck dazed Rosholt on more than one occasion. However, Rosholt eventually scored the TKO stoppage late in the second round and delivered Osterneck his first career loss.

Rivera, who turns 37 later this month, hasn't competed since June 2008 when he suffered a first-round submission loss to Martin Kampmann. However, he's won three of his past five fights (all but took place in the UFC), which included a surprise 80-second knockout of "The Ultimate Fighter 3" winner Kendall Grove at UFC 80 a year ago.

Twelve of Rivera's 15 career victories have come via stoppage.

Feb 7, 2006
Fight Biz: Strikeforce accelerates growth with ProElite, Showtime deals

Two primary suitors emerged with interest in acquiring the assets of ProElite, with Strikeforce ultimately consummating two deals that will expand its fighter roster and boost its TV presence.

The first agreement puts selected assets of the flamed-out ProElite in the hands of Strikeforce, which has a solid reputation in MMA as an organization that stages quality shows, treats fighters fairly and spends wisely. It's sharp departure from the free-wheeling days of ProElite/EliteXC, and the outcome is one that should be positive for both fighters and fans alike.

King of the Cage founder Terry Trebilcock also made a play for ProElite's assets, in negotiations that MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned came down to Trebilcock and Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker.

"Both Scott and Terry are friends of mine, so either way, I think it was going to turn out well," said Monte Cox, who manages several fighters, including EliteXC middleweight Robbie Lawler, who have anxiously awaited guidance on their ProElite contracts. "Both have the ability to make money and put on good shows. It's great to have this finally resolved. Fighters have been sitting in limbo for a long time now."

Strikeforce acquired what they call "certain fighter contracts" from ProElite. The promotion has the option to select which fighters among the dozens ProElite had under contract it wants to retain. Strikeforce will need to renegotiate those existing deals.

It's not clear yet which fighters will be coming over to Strikeforce, but the highest-profile names, such as Lawler, Gina Carano, Jake Shields, Nick Diaz and Brett Rogers, are the most likely. And, the question remains what becomes of Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson?

Don't expect Strikeforce to promote him as the next big thing in MMA. The company would not have taken that approach, even if he hadn't been exposed in the fight against Seth Petruzelli. It's just not Coker's style.

However, how would Ferguson adjust to being just another fighter who needs to work his way up the contender ranks after making major dollars and being the focal point in EliteXC? How this one plays out will be a fascinating subplot in the new world of Strikeforce.

While bolstering its stable of fighters was the critical element of Strikeforce's agreement with ProElite, the subsequent announcement about its deal with Showtime is even bigger. The partnership, announced independently from the ProElite deal, brings up to 16 live Strikeforce events a year to Showtime over the term of the "multi-year" pact.

The programming model will be similar to the one employed by Showtime and EliteXC, with two flavors of televised events – one for championship bouts and another series featuring prospects, a la ShoXC. It's an upgrade from Strikeforce's TV deal with HDNet and advances the growth of the three-year-old franchise.

The first championship event is scheduled for April 11 in San Jose, Calif. Strikeforce's partnership with Showtime also opens the door to land the promotion on CBS, which remains interested in taking another run at MMA in prime time.

Strikeforce had been in what Coker told MMAjunkie.com in October were "final stages" of negotiations with NBC for live events on the Peacock Network in 2009. However, the opportunity with Showtime nixes those plans.

With the question of what happens to ProElite's assets and fighters now largely answered with Strikeforce stepping in, MMA is left with three organizations in the U.S. that can carry the label of major promotions.

The UFC stands above all others. Affliction, with its quality roster of fighters and a level of success on pay-per-view, and Strikeforce, the only promotion on premium cable (and CBS waiting in wings), are the other two "majors."

"Affliction is the No. 2 pay-per-view promotion behind the UFC, and I think both Affliction and Strikeforce have their place," said Cox. "I certainly think there's room for all three."

Wertheim pens Blood in the Cage – Jon Wertheim typically writes about tennis.

MMA is about as far removed from the well-manicured world of tennis as one can get. However, Wertheim, a senior writer for Sports Illustrated, was willing to trade baseline volleys for hammer fists to write SI's first major piece on MMA. The story was published in May 2007, with the now-famous cover shot of Roger Huerta landing a kick on Leonard Garcia at UFC 69. It was a seminal story for MMA and the beginning of a book for Wertheim.

"It was just one of these stories where you feel you could have written 10 times more," he said. "There was so much more I couldn't squeeze in there. Why not try to spin it into something bigger?"

A "stick-and-ball" journalist writing MMA usually makes MMA fans cringe, but Wertheim's SI story was insightful, accurate and informative. His new book, Blood in the Cage: Mixed Martial Arts, Pat Miletich and the Furious Rise of the UFC, hits all those points and then some.

The book offers up Miletich's rise from hardscrabble roots in the Midwest to become a UFC champion. It also details how Dana White and the UFC transformed MMA from a cult sport to PPV king and the role "The Ultimate Fighter" played along the way.

Much of what the book delves into has been covered or discussed somewhere on the Internet before, but the level of detail and back-stories Wertheim captures makes the book a worthwhile read.

"Part of my goal was to explain how this sport, how the UFC has gotten to this place in the culture," said Wortheim. "Some of it was also, 'Who are these fighters? What are the circumstances that would lead someone to do this? No one's on the high school cagefighting team. Who are these guys?' He (Miletich) seemed like a good way to personalize it."

Wortheim says some of the stereotypes that plagued MMA earlier this decade still exist among many traditional sports journalists. While writing the book, he was asked by some colleagues if he saw any props in the cage, seen anyone die or witnessed anything improper during fights. Let's hope those guys read the book, which helps to further dispel that garbage about the sport.

Blood in the Cage, with an initial press run of 30,000, is available at most major bookstores.

Adrenaline MMA aims for spring return – With two Illinois shows in the books, Adrenaline MMA is looking to host its third show outside of the Midwest.

Adrenaline CEO Monte Cox told MMAjunkie.com that Atlantic City is one of the cities being considered for the promotion's third show, which he expects to host by May.

The promotion debuted in the Chicago suburbs in June of last year and, after delays due to lack of funding, held its second show in Moline, Ill. (Quad Cities), on Dec. 11. Cox, who also manages the Extreme Challenge promotion, wants to hold two or three Adrenaline-branded events a year.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 97 OFFICIAL; SILVA VS. LEITES HEADLINES

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Monday officially announced its return to the Bell Centre in Montreal. UFC 97 is headlined by a previously confirmed main event of Anderson Silva and Thales Leites, and a co-main event of Chuck Liddell versus Mauricio "Shogun" Rua.

Silva will make the next defense of his UFC middleweight championship against Leites. The winner of nine straight bouts – including all eight of his fights in the Octagon – Silva returns after six months of inactivity. The April 18 bout marks his first fight since a confounding performance against Canadian fighter Patrick Cote at UFC 90 in Chicago.

On a five fight streak, Leites earned his title shot off the back of a controversial split decision victory over Nate Marquardt, followed by a first round submission of power striker Drew McFedries.

Losing three of his four most recent bouts, 39-year-old Liddell is still a fan favorite, but will be looking to UFC 97 to get back on track, possibly to make a final run at the UFC light heavyweight title he used to wear around his waist.

Shogun has been fairly lackluster in his two UFC starts thus far, losing to Forrest Griffin in the Brazilian's Octagon debut then finishing an aged Mark Coleman late in their recent bout at UFC 93.

Other bouts announced for UFC 97 include former WEC champion Brian Stann's UFC debut against Krzysztof Soszynski, a middleweight bout pitting Jason MacDonald against Nate Quarry, David "The Crow" Loiseau's return to the UFC to face Ed Herman, and Mark Bocek versus David Bielkheden in a lightweight bout.

Feb 7, 2006
CanFlo: Kenny Florian heads to Canada to train with Georges St. Pierre in anticipation of upcoming BJ Penn title fight

Kenny Florian was widely regarded as the clear cut number one contender in the crowded 155-pound division following his win over Roger Huerta via unanimous decision at UFC 87: “Seek and Destroy” on August 9.

But his second chance at championship gold never came.

That’s because current lightweight champion, BJ Penn, was set to rematch welterweight kingpin Georges St. Pierre at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2” at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on January 31, putting the division strap temporarily on ice.

Rather than sitting on the sidelines and waiting his turn, Florian decided to keep busy. And he wasn’t taking fights with “slouches” or “cans” to ensure that he remained atop the title contender totem pole.

On the contrary, he accepted a very dangerous fight against Joe Stevenson at UFC 91: “Couture vs. Lesnar” at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas back on November 15. It was high profile bout between two fighters who have each missed out on winning the vacant division title.

Florian dominated “Daddy” in the first round, finishing the former TUF 2 winner via rear naked choke for his sixth straight win. Aside from his unanimous decision loss to Sean Sherk at UFC 64 ‘Unstoppable,’ Florian hasn’t tasted defeat since being overwhelmed by Diego Sanchez at the TUF 1 finale in April of 2005.

Now that UFC 94 is in the books and BJ Penn is (hopefully) set to defend his title against the Boston native at some point this summer, Florian is hoping to take a page out of the St. Pierre handbook by traveling to Canada’s Tri-Star gym, headed by Firas Zahabi, to train with “Rush” in preparation for his title shot, according to The Fight Network.

Florian is based out of his own gym in Brookline, Mass., Florian Martial Arts Center, which he owns with his brother, Keith. In addition, Florian trains at F-15 Training Center with Peter Welch his boxing coach. His Muay Thai and MMA Coach is Mark DellaGrotte.

The trip to Canada is a logical one. Vaseline notwithstanding, no fighter in history has been able to nullify the Hawaiian’s gameplan like St. Pierre did in their second outing. The welterweight champ dominated Penn in every round, forcing his corner to throw in the towel prior to the fifth frame in a surprisingly one-sided contest.

The same strategies probably won’t work for Florian, who does not possess the physical abilities that St. Pierre does. Still, it’s easy to see the value in training with a fighter who has already faced (and beaten) your opponent on two occasions.

The rest is up to Florian.