MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Bud Marketing Head Out

Tony Ponturo, vice president of global media and sports marketing at Anheuser-Busch Cos., has announced that he will retire from his position effective at the end of the year. The announcement comes on the heels of the regulatory ok given to the merger between InBev and Anhesuer Busch. Ponturo was the point man in signing the Bud Light Deal with the UFC and had been laudatory of the fight company in recent articles in Marketwatch and the Sports Business Journal.

This is an interesting situation to monitor with regards to MMA because of the earlier reports by Darren Rovell and MMAPayout.com that one of the first areas for possible cuts would be to the vast array of sports sponsorships. The huge dollar figures budgeted for sports sponsorship was seen as a ripe area for trimming. While the UFC deal is smaller in comparison to some of their other deals, it too could be affected if their is a change in philosophy with a new head of sports marketing coming in. Some chatter in the industry suggests that the announced 3-year deal between Bud Light and the UFC might have an early exit clause that can be exercised by Bud.

Feb 7, 2006
DUANE LUDWIG: "WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A GOOD, EXPLOSIVE FIGHT"
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3828.html?PHPSESSID=c3ba8adb6d2745a9ee53514baf9efc08
"I'm expecting Yves to stand with me. Yves is explosive and world-class. I expect to see a little bit of all 3 areas because he's really well-rounded…We're going to have a good, explosive fight. I expect this to be a very exciting fight," stated lightweight Duane Ludwig as he talked about his upcoming clash with Yves Edwards this weekend at Strikeforce: Destruction. Check it out!

Feb 7, 2006
Ninja Rua: “Shogun will tear Coleman up”

While Murilo Rua doesn’t sign a new event after EliteXC’s end, Murilo “Ninja” Rua is focused in his brother’s preparation to fight Mark Coleman in UFC 93, which happens in January 17th in Dublin, in Ireland. After a meeting between Maurício Shogun and Coleman at Pride, ending with the Brazilian breaking his arm with less than one minute of fight, Ninja bets in a big victory of the brother. “I’m training hard, without stop, but now I’m focused in my brother’s fight with Coleman. The expectative is best possible, he’s training all the time and certainly will take the light-heavyweight belt. He’s a great fighter, he is 100% recovered (from knee surgery) and will tear Coleman up…He wanted this fight a long time ago and now it’s only reduce the weight and fight”, bets Murilo, who also bets at his former-Chute Boxe partner Wanderlei Silva against Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, at UFC 92. “Wanderlei is a big friend of mine and he will win again, certainly. One more knee knockout”, finished the Universidade da Luta leader.

Feb 7, 2006
Antoine Jaoude Interview

Without fighting since 2007, when fought for the IFL title, Antoine Jaoude is back on training to prepare himself to fight again in 2009. In an exclusive chat with TATAME, Jaoude spoke about the rumors about a possible fight in Sengoku’s January 4th edition, and is excited about it. “I’m running after fights. For now there’s nothing right yet, but Marco is taking care about the and maybe I can fight there in January… Murilo (Bustamante) got a fight for me at Dream, but then I had some problems with my daughter and had no conditions”, said Antoine, who commented Brazilian Top Team Wrestling training, the fight between Rousimar Palhares and Dan Handerson at UFC and Pedro Rizzo’s next fight in Affliction.

There are some rumours about the possibility to at Sengoku in January. Is that true?
I’m running after fights. At first there is nothing right, I expect that your rumors are better than my (laughs). For now there’s nothing right yet, but Marco is taking care about the and maybe I can fight there in January… Murilo (Bustamante) got a fight for me at Dream, but then I had some problems with my daughter and had no conditions. I don’t have anything right.

How do you see the MMA market back to Japan?
I’m think it’s great, after the interview with Rogério Nogueira saying that is very nice there. This is very good, they have that thing of Samurai, despite of I like also United States. I want to fight in Japan.

You stayed two years without fight and went to IFL, where you won four fights, but lost in the GP final. How did you face the end of the event?
In fact, it was a little sad, because we did not expect. The event looked to be very well, investing in many things, new teams, then they reduced the expense with others teams, but they said that it was to attend better the others, and then broke. We had a contract with them and we don’t know how it is now, we weren’t expecting that. Looking for the bright side it was good, because at least we don’t stay anymore attached to them and we will look for bigger purses.

IFL closed the doors, then HCF, where Nogueira used to fight, EliteXC also broke, and now Affliction had already to postpone the second edition. How do you see this instability in the events?
I almost fought there (HCF) too, and then it broke. I think people starts a thing not very solid and try to brake the Ultimate’s supremacy, and invest a lot in the beginning, and fall in traps of MMA. It takes a time to the event consolidate. I think this is one of the main reasons, beside world economic reasons. It was sad.

Are you still commanding the wrestling trains in BTT? How they are?
They are very well. There will be Fury FC now with Maurício, Palhares is in negotiation with UFC, but there’s nothing set yet. Those are the main focus, we are working hard. People of BTT is very humble, I am very well received there also because of Pedro Rizzo, Pimentel is my physical trainer and of Murilo, who I know for more than seven years.

What do you think happened at Palhares’ fight against Dan Henderson? What go wrong on the plans for the fight?
I think that did not lack anything, he did the best he could. We prepared a strategy, but didn’t put that is practice and I think this confused. Murilo said that loking for the bright side, we saw Toquinho’s game better to do not repeat the more mistakes. He had a broken a toe two days before the fight, but continued to train like a crazy man, and we didn’t know that. We saw him limping and we asked him, he had a broken toe, and if we knew that we wouldn’t have trained anymore.

It looks like Pedro Rizzo will face Ben Rothwell in the next edition of Affliction… How do you think it will be the fight between them?
Affliction motivates still more to train focused, so that gives me rhythm too. I saw that in the internet just after the first event and I think that it’s a good matchup for him, he has the same style of Pedro, kicks, punches, don’t know anything of ground. I already saw him fighting IFL and I think it is a good fight. Pedro is very well, he’s already training for the October event, more motivated. We’re seeing a lot of good things. He wants a rematch with (Josh) Barnett, I think that he wasn’t 100%, he wasn’t fighting for a log time…

What do you think he has to do to be back between the heavyweight tops?
I think he has to fight more, get rhythm again. He is from Muay Thai school and used to live fighting in Holland and all the world representing K-1, he used to have a good rhythm. He is training very well now, in the gas, and I think that he will arrive very well in this fight.

Feb 7, 2006
Maybe Anderson Silva won't retire at 35 after all

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, currently the most popular pick for the world's top pound-for-pound fighter, may not retire when he turns 35 after all.

Silva gave the MMA world a jolt when, during a September interview with a Brazilian cable channel, he said was planning to retire after he turns 35 and fulfills the terms of his current UFC contract.

Silva, who's expected to headline UFC 95 on Feb. 21, turns 35 on April 14, 2010. He has five fights remaining on his current UFC deal.

And while Silva would like to conclude his stellar career while on top of his game, his manager, Ed Soares, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the retirement at 35 is far from a guarantee.

"Here's the situation," Soares said. "His goal when we signed with the UFC was for him to retire at 35 years old. That was the goal, and I think we need to keep that goal in check. We work to follow through with that goal. Now, he's 35 in only 18 months, so ideally, my goal as his manager is to put him in a situational financially so that when he's 35, if he feels like retiring, he'll be able to retire.

"But that doesn't mean he will necessarily retire at 35. ... At the end of the day, man, when gets to 35, he could feel like he has a few more fights in him."

So the retirement talk is primarily a source of motivation not for Silva, but for Soares himself?

"Of course -- and for people to go buy those pay per views now," Soares joked.

Regardless of the end date, Silva has a minimum of five challenges ahead of him. He's recently begun training with famed boxing coach Freddie Roach and shows no signs of slowing down as his supposed retirement date beckons. Silva could could put those new striking skills to use for an overseas event.

Silva recently defended his title with a third-round TKO of Patrick Cote at UFC 90, and he's expected to return next at UFC 95 in London, England.

While there have been rumors of a fight with Chuck Liddell at the February event, Soares said nothing is definite and that they haven't even met with the UFC about the event.

"Next week I'm meeting with (UFC President) Dana (White), and hopefully we finalize who his opponent is and where it's going to be," Soares said.

But is Silva open to the Liddell fight?

"He wants to fight against the best," Soares said. "Whoever the best is, that's who we want to fight. If whoever the world, the fans, want to see, that's what we're here to do. Anderson never picks his opponents. He wants to fight against the best, and if it happens to be at 205 pounds, he'll fight at 205. If it happens to be at 185 pounds as a title defense, it'll be a 185-pound title defense. Anderson just wants to put on history-making fights."

Feb 7, 2006
Leonard Garcia says he feels like the number one contender in new 5 Oz. interview

Leonard Gracia couldn’t be happier following what could easily be described as the biggest win of his career. The Greg Jackson trained fighter’s first round knockout over former UFC champion Jens Pulver has the MMA world buzzing that there’s a new force to be reckoned with in the featherweight division.

After a nine month lay off and recently being cleared of federal charges that had been hanging over his head like a dark cloud, Garcia told fiveouncesofpain.com in an exclusive interview that he feels like it was all just a part of his destiny to become one of the best fighters in the sport. It’s almost as if he needed the time off to reinvent himself and reinvent himself he has. Garcia looked amazing in his destruction of a future hall of famer at WEC 36 and seems to have found new life in his mixed martial arts career.

After his big win over Pulver, the featherweight slugger has wasted no time in making it known that he wants a shot at the 145 pound title. The title that Mike Brown recently acquired by shocking Urijah Faber when he knocked him out in the first round. From the looks of things that fight could be in the not so distant future.

Whether he fights for the belt in his next fight or not, Garcia just wants to fight. After a nine month layoff that left him “agitated” and hungry to fight, he’s eager to show the world the new and improved Leonard Garcia.

Cory Brady: What are your thoughts looking back on the fight between you and Pulver. Were you surprised you were able to catch him so early?

Leonard Garcia: As far as my training camp went it didn’t surprise me at all. The initial shock of it being over so quickly just recently started setting in.

Cory Brady: What was your game plan going into that fight?

Leonard Garcia: I seriously thought after the Hiroyuki Takaya fight that he was going to try to take me down. I was kind of hoping that his pride would make him stand up and I think that’s what did it. He made a comment that I only had one knockout or something like that. I’ve never trained at a kickboxing academy or a mixed martial arts place ever before I came to Greg Jackson’s. If you watch the Roger Huerta fight and then you watch the Hiroyuki Takaya fight there’s an obvious big change in my kickboxing. He should have watched my tapes and studied that but I guess his pride got the best of him.

Cory Brady: So you feel like Pulver was underestimating your punching power because you only had the one knockout listed on your record?

Leonard Garcia: For sure, that’s exactly what it was. If he would have watched any of my earlier fights he would have seen that I have a lot of submissions but it was because I rocked a lot of people standing up and they would take me down right into a submission. I was able to drop people and get on top of them and get a choke in. I’ve always had the punching power, it’s always been there, but now I’m quicker and stronger at 145 so everything’s coming along a lot better.

Cory Brady: Did you get some good advice from Duane Ludwig going into this fight being that he already had the previous stoppage over Pulver?

Leonard Garcia: Duane’s the man. It doesn’t really matter who I fight. As long as I can do my stand up training with Duane I feel confident with anybody standing up.If you can last one round with Duane when he’s really turning it on then you’ll be alright in a twenty five minute fight.

Cory Brady: This is a huge win for you. Do you feel like you have kind of turned a new page in your mixed martial arts career with your win over Pulver?

Leonard Garcia: Yeah, I think this cements me into the weight class and makes me a force to be reckoned with at 145. Any time you beat somebody with such a big name it just does things for your career. I can already tell a huge difference and it’s been less than a week. I worked really hard to beat Pulver and I definitely pushed it to another level during training camp. I’m doing a lot of things different now. I’m starting to take supplements, vitamins, I’m dieting. I’m doing a lot of different things that Greg Jackson has me doing and I think I’m coming together perfectly so this is a huge step for me.

Cory Brady: How happy were you to return to action after that nine month layoff?

Leonard Garcia: With everything that happened with me and all of that crap that went on and then also with the hurricane it just felt like it was never going to happen. I was like “What’s going on? I can’t catch a break”. Every time something would happen. I would always say “When we’re under those lights and we’re across from each other and the referee says go, that’s when I’ll know it’s real” and that’s exactly how it felt.

Cory Brady: It’s like everything happens for a reason and maybe the reason you hadn’t fought before was because it was just waiting on everything to line up right against Pulver.

Leonard Garcia: Everything worked out in my favor, I mean everything. I feel like this fight wouldn’t have happened had I not had those legal problems. You just hit the nail right on the head. You said “Everything happens for a reason” and that’s the way I take it. I try to take everything in stride and try to make the best out of everything and that’s exactly what happened in this situation.

Cory Brady: Do you expect to fight Mike Brown for his first title defense?

Leonard Garcia: Yeah, I am. I don’t know how quickly he’s going to be able to get back in there. I heard he had some torn cartilage in his ribs. There’s a couple of things that we really need to sit down and talk about but yeah, I’d love to fight him. I can’t speak for the WEC and I can’t make matches that haven’t been signed yet but I truly feel like I’m the #1 contender.

Cory Brady: So if that fight was to go down, how do you feel you guys match up?

Leonard Garcia: Me and Mike are both really big 145′ers. I think he’s a better wrestler than me and I think that I’m a better striker than he is. I’m not too sure on the jiu-jitsu. I know he trains out of a great camp.I have a brown belt, it’s about to be a black, from what I understand, that’s what they’re telling me. I think stylistically it can be a really exciting fight or it can be a really boring fight if he tries to hold me down. Whatever it is. Roger Huerta tried to hold me down so we’ll see. I was out of shape when I fought him so let’s see if anybody can hold down an in shape Leonard Garcia.

Cory Brady: If you are offered the fight for the belt but Mike Brown’s injury keeps him out of action for a while, will you be looking to fight again before Brown just to stay active?

Leonard Garcia: Yeah. I don’t sit around and wait for anything. My family is first and foremost and this is how I take care of my family. If there’s another fight that comes up and I can do it and he’s saying that he’s still injured then I’m going to do it. I’m not going to sit around and wait. I took nine months off this year and that had me highly agitated so next year I want to fight as much as I can.

Cory Brady: In your last couple fights for the WEC you’ve gone 2-0 with 2 first round knockouts. Have you been looking for the KO lately?

Leonard Garcia: I’m a naturally aggressive person, even in training. When I throw a jab they laugh. They tell me “Man, you throw a jab like you’re trying to mimic a right hand”. Every punch I throw I’m trying to let it all go. I think that makes me an exciting fighter and I think that’s what people want to see so it’s not so much that I’m really looking for anything, I’m just trying to let it go at all times. I’m one of those guys that even in training I have a couple guys that are dodging me in practice so it just works out that way. That’s just how I am. I’m not looking for knockouts, I’m not trying to get knockouts, they’re just coming so it’s working out.

Cory Brady: How do you feel fighting at 145 compared to 155?

Leonard Garcia: I feel stronger at 145 than I did at 155. I went down and trained with Roger Huerta since our fight and he was telling me that it’s like night and day now. He’s like “You feel stronger, you’re faster, everything”. He was like “It’s crazy. You look smaller but you feel like a bigger person”. At 155, I can’t lie and say that I wasn’t cutting anything to get there but I was cutting maybe two or three pounds. Cutting to 145 is just like cutting for everybody else, it sucks. I hate cutting weight. I know it’s a hard cut for me but it’s not unreachable. It’s really easy for me to get there but I just hate to do it. Either way, it’s a better weight class for me and I love it.

Cory Brady: Do you think this is where you will stay for a long time to come?

Leonard Garcia: The good thing is that the 145 pound weight class is so stacked right now, there’s so many fights that I want to do. If I win the title and have two or three defenses then I’m going to jump up to 155 and keep testing myself. For me, that’s what fighting is, you’re just testing yourself. I want to be known as one of the best, if not the best. If it takes two weight classes like De La Hoya and all those guys that have done it in boxing then I’ll do it in MMA.

Cory Brady: How good does it feel to have put all of your legal problems behind you and have your entire MMA career in front of you?

Leonard Garcia: It’s the best feeling in the world. It’s funny that you asked that. My Mom was asking me that question just the other day. I was talking to he and she just started crying. It just feels great getting everything cleared away and now I’m just ripping away. I’m going 100% full steam ahead. I appreciate this career so much more now because of that. I’m not taking it for granted so you guys are going to be seeing a lot of exciting fights coming from me.

Cory Brady: Hey Leonard, thanks so much for your time. Are there any sponsors you’d like to thank before I let you go?

Leonard Garcia: Yeah, I want to thank Tapout first and foremost. I want to thank Nutritox. Those guy’s really helped me out with my nutrition level and a lot of things so any fighters coming up, Nutritox is the real deal. Also Killer Clothing and MTX Audio. Any new sponsors out there that want a fighter that’s guaranteed TV time, look up my manager and hit me up.

Feb 7, 2006
EYEING JANUARY, FABER WANTS REMATCH

Facing only the second defeat of his professional career, former World Extreme Cagefighting featherweight champion Urijah Faber is hoping for a return in January, but also wants an immediate rematch with new titleholder Mike Brown.

Faber’s manager Mike Roberts of MMA Inc. says that his fighter is hoping for a second chance to reclaim the title that he defended successfully numerous times during his reign.

“He wants to get right back in there and he wants a rematch right away and he feels he deserves it,” Roberts told MMAWeekly Radio recently about Faber’s choice of fights.

Just days after the loss, Faber was already back in the gym working out and preparing for his next challenge, whether it’s Mike Brown or another contender.

“Urijah wants to fight in January,” Roberts stated. “We’re still trying to sort out who he’s going to fight, if he is in fact going to get a rematch with Mike Brown or if he’s going to have to fight Leonard Garcia or Jose Aldo to get it. If it’s up to Urijah he would love to fight Mike Brown in January.”

Regardless of his opponent the WEC has the final call, but if Faber gets his wish he will be getting another chance at Mike Brown and the 145-pound title.

“Ultimately, the WEC’s going to decide that,” Roberts commented about Faber’s next opponent. “If the opportunity for a rematch comes, Urijah would be willing to wait until March to get it.

“Urijah’s made no bones to me about it. He said, 'I want a rematch.' He said, ‘He beat me fair and square, no excuses,’ but he does not like not having that belt.”

Faber has been traveling and training since the bout ended, but will hit the gym and prepare for whatever challenge lies ahead.

MMAWeekly.com has since confirmed with independent sources that Faber will be fighting at WEC 38 on Jan. 25 in San Diego. He won't get an immediate crack at Brown, however, due to torn rib cartilage that Brown suffered in the bout with Faber.

Feb 7, 2006
Jon Fitch, Christian Wellisch and possibly others cut by UFC

Former number one UFC welterweight contender Jon Fitch was today handed his walking papers for refusing to sign an agreement that would give the promotion exclusive lifetime video game rights to his name and likeness, MMAmania.com can exclusively confirm.

Christian Wellisch — who also didn’t ink the paperwork — was also released. Others who do not sign the agreement could also be let go in the future.

Fitch and members of his camp were not immediately available for comment on the startling development.

While the full details are a little murky at this time, Fitch was apparently approached about the issue when he turned in his signed bout agreement to fight Akihiro Gono at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2″ on January 31. And when he and his representatives attempted to negotiate the video game deal it was all or nothing.

He didn’t sign it and was terminated shortly therefafter.

Fitch — who is tied with Royce Gracie and Anderson Silva for the most consecutive wins in UFC history (eight) — recently lost a gutsy unanimous decision to welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre at UFC 87: “Seek and Destroy” on August 9.

The former Purdue University wrestler just returned from a trip to Thailand to refine his Muay Thai and stand up skills. For the time being he may have to now put those skills to the test outside the Octagon for the first time since 2006.

He’s among the top 170-pound fighters in the world and should land on his feet sooner rather than later. Talk about a big loss for the UFC … and Jon Fitch.

Feb 7, 2006
WITH WIN AT UFC 91, GONZAGA WORKING FOR TITLE

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight No. 1 contender Gabriel "Napao" Gonzaga made short work of his UFC 91 opponent, Josh Hendricks, finishing the UFC newcomer by technical knockout in 61 seconds. Gonzaga hopes his recent back-to-back wins in the Octagon are the first steps on the journey back to another title shot.

"I'm here to do well, to get my title shot again," the Brazilian told MMAWeekly.com. "If you keep on winning, someday I'm going to have the opportunity again."

Gonzaga was highly regarded when he made his Octagon debut at UFC 56 three years ago on Nov. 19, 2005, knocking out Kevin Jordan with a superman punch. He finished Fabiano Scherner with strikes and submitted Carmelo Marrero in his next two performances in the cage. But it was his devastating knockout of Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic at UFC 70 that put Gonzaga on the MMA map.

Following those successes, Gonzaga was defeated by then UFC heavyweight titleholder Randy "The Natural" Couture at UFC 74. He sat in attendance, after fighting earlier on the card, and witnessed Brock Lesnar defeat Couture at UFC 91. Asked his opinion of the newly crowned champ, Gonzaga commented, "I think he's a really good wrestling guy. He's got to learn to throw punches and kicks, but it just takes time. You know?

"You can be healthy and athletic, but to learn something, it takes a while to learn," added the 29-year old fighter. "He has a huge background in wrestling. But you need to know ground game and stand up to be complete. I think he's ready and I think he could be there for a while if he learns it. But it takes time."

Gonzaga and Lesnar could be on a future collision course. Questioned how he thinks he matches up with former collegiate wrestling national champion and WWE superstar, Gonzaga said, "I think my size is good to beat him. And if I put my game to work, I believe today I have more experience from Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, boxing and Muay Thai skills than he has just wrestling. But he's huge."

Feb 7, 2006
Dana White declares war against the American Kickboxing Academy

As a reporter involved in the field of mixed martial arts, I hear a lot of crazy things. Some of it true but much of it false. When I received a text asking me if I knew anything about Jon Fitch having been cut, my first reaction was, “Are you smoking crack?”

I mean, not Jon Fitch? Not Jon Fitch the consensus top five welterweight. Not Jon Fitch the 17-3 fighter who fights for the UFC. Not the Jon Fitch that has gone 8-1 in the UFC with notable wins over Josh Burkman, Thiago Alves, and Diego Sanchez. Not the Jon Fitch that has tied the UFC record for most consecutive wins while competing in the Octagon?

But this is MMA, a sport unlike any other and I’ve learned that no story is far-fetched. Chances are when you hear something crazy it doesn’t mean your friends have developed an addiction to hallucinogenic drugs. Yet when I logged onto my computer to survey the carnage, I still couldn’t believe my eyes. I then began to make several late-night phone calls to try to make sense of the situation and wrap my arms around it.

During my truth-seeking mission the most illuminating information in regard to the situation is an article by Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole, which included several quotes from UFC President Dana White.

“We’re looking for guys who want to work with us and not against us, and frankly I’m just so [expletive] sick of this [expletive] it’s not even funny,” Iole quotes White. “Affliction is still out there trying to build its company. Let [Fitch] go work with them. Let him see what he thinks of those [expletives]. [Expletive] him”

And as I’m sure you heard by now, Fitch isn’t the only fighter to be cut. Heavyweight and AKA teammate Christian Wellisch has joined him amongst the ranks of the unemployed and others could be next. All indications are that AKA welterweight Mike Swick has already signed and is safe. Reports indicate that Josh Koscheck is also on the rocks but multiple sources have expressed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com that they believe that situation will work itself out. However, the next to go could be heavyweight blue chip prospect Cain Velasquez.

Just about all of AKA’s fighters are represented by trainer “Crazy” Bob Cook and Zinkin Entertainment and White and the UFC are not happy with the management company’s refusal to to go along to get along. White is not a big fan of managers and agents and wouldn’t shed a tear if all of them perished off the face of the Earth. Many in the industry have said the UFC simply wants to do business in an environment where there is no buffer between them and their fighters.

The fact that White is now going to war with Zinkin is interesting because their clients have always had glowing reviews about their work when speaking with this site on and off the record. And one of White’s best friends in the industry, Chuck Liddell, also happens to be managed by Zinkin. According to Iole’s article, White felt compelled to lean on Liddell for some help.

“White said he has been ‘beefing with Zinkin for years’ and said he had to call Liddell, one of his closest friends, and tell him to get Zinkin to back off,” Iole writes.

If that’s not an attempt at a power play, what is? It’s now on the agents to strike back. No one is happy that the UFC is trying to attempt to get fighters to sign contracts that would essentially force them to give away lifetime rights to their likeness away. THQ’s “UFC Undisputed” is said to be a great game and the feeling is that it could be one of the highest grossing video games of all time. Everyone wants a piece of the pie but it’s unclear whether the UFC is willing to share.

In the past, the UFC also tried to encourage its fighters to sign a marketing deal that would award the company with all rights to fighter likenesses. The complaint from many managers was that the deal offered limited returns in exchange for lifetime rights and that the managers themselves could be cut out of the deal. The goal of the UFC apparently was to get all the fighters to sign everything over and then a portion of all the income earned from licensing deals would be distributed through a monthly check that would go straight to the fighters. It was a deal that few in the industry felt was fair.

“He wanted us to sign that merchandising agreement, and it was not a very good agreement,” Fitch is quoted as telling Iole. “There was not really a reason for us to sign it. The first thing they brought to us was for us to sign all of our rights away for everything forever. It was for very small compensation, and there was no compensation for family members if we were to die.

“We could die and they could make memorial figurines and stuff and make thousands, millions of dollars, and our families wouldn’t see a penny of it. The way they bring the contracts and stuff to us, I don’t know, it’s just not how business is done.”

But apparently this is how business is attempting to be done by the UFC on a mass scale and what happens from here is anyone’s guess. AKA and Zinkin are trying to rally as many fellow agencies to their cause as possible. I’m not sure how successful they will be in that regard because it’s one thing for a bunch of agents to band together and take a stand against a dying company such as ProElite and their top corporate partner, but no one wants to get on Dana White’s bad side. For an agency to alienate themselves from the UFC is considered to be an act of suicide. Nobody likes the terms of the deal being offered but thus far everyone appears ready to be bracing themselves to take a bite out of the [expletive] sandwich.

Without a united front, AKA and Zinkin don’t stand much of a much of chance. For Fitch, it appears to be too late. I was told that even if he fired Zinkin and was willing to sign the deal that the UFC wouldn’t take him back. With 183 fighters signed to its roster, it’s cutting season in the UFC with the promotion looking to drop as many as 40 fighters from its roster. Fabricio Werdum, Marcus Aurelio, Jason Lambert and several others have already been let go. But with Fitch, the UFC can make a major statement and strike the fear of G-d into everyone. If a fighter such as Fitch is let go it means that anyone not wearing a title and drawing a strong buyrate could be next on the chopping block.

The UFC’s decision to release Fitch also serves as a clear signal that the promotion doesn’t consider Affliction Entertainment a threat in the slightest. If EliteXC was still around, Fitch doesn’t get cut. But apparently Affliction doesn’t project the same level of fear. In order to sign Fitch, Werdum, and or Paulo Filho, it’s going to take money. And the more Affliction spends, the closer it gets to extinction. What the UFC is essentially saying is that all of the top ten fighters in the world can’t save that promotion.

Affliction may still exist but the UFC is operating as if it’s already the only player in town. They’ve declared war on middle class of fighter and are moving towards purging its roster as many mid-tier fighters it can. Look for the UFC to move towards a business model where if you aren’t able to headline a card, then you’re an entry-level guy. You’re either a prospect or a superstar with no in between. Forget about that transitional contract where you make $25,000-$40,000 as you grow from a fighter that started competing in non-televised prelims to a guy working his way towards a title shot and a headlining spot on a PPV. It’s like the NFL during the salary cap era in that if you’re a player making $3.5 million, you better be in the starting lineup and making plays, otherwise you’re going to get waived because there is no room for backups who get paid like starters.

Fitch and Werdum were deemed expendable because they were making a healthy amount of money and didn’t factor into the title picture in their respective weight classes. Winning is no longer good enough. You either open a card or you headline; you either fight for the UFC on its terms or you can go see if the grass is really greener.

Through it all there’s one quote that stands out in my mind above all else. It may not be the most poetic quote to end an article on, but in my mind, it is the most telling about the future of the business of MMA.

“…These guys aren’t partners with us. [Expletive] them. All of them, every last [expletive] one of them,” White is quoted as saying in Iole’s piece. “Partner” is apparently the term White uses when a potential business deal involving another entity isn’t to his liking. Disagree with the Bush Administration and you’re not patriotic (sorry to interject politics into this article, but we’re all adults here… get over it). Disagree with the UFC’s terms and you’re not a true “partner.” But partnership has traditionally been a two-way street… except when you’re the only game in town.

Feb 7, 2006
Scott Smith ready to let his hands fly in Strikeforce debut

Scott Smith (13-5) knows the challenges that await him Friday night.

The UFC, EliteXC and WEC veteran will make his debut for Strikeforce against fellow slugger Terry Martin (18-5). And despite taking the fight on just a week's notice, Smith recently told TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), that he'll be ready.

"Its real risky to take a fight on short notice, especially a guy like Terry Martin," Smith said. "But about three weeks ago I was supposed to fight on that EliteXC card for the Showtime / EliteXC card. I think it was Nov. 8. I was getting prepared for that. So I just kept on training through, hoping something would come up. And this came up. So I'm ready to go."

Smith was one of many fighters left in limbo after the recent demise of EliteXC. The 29-year-old said he let his management team deal with the fallout that led to his appearance on Friday's "Strikeforce: Destruction" event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

"My management team, I'm real good friends with," Smith said. "So I talk to them on a daily basis. He told me right when the EliteXC thing went down, he said, 'You know what? Stay ready to fight. We're working on getting you another fight and getting you out of this.'

"I don't know the details of how I got out of [my EliteXC contract]. As far as I know, I think it's a one fight deal (with Strikeforce) for now. But I don't know if it's going to be a multi-fight deal or what. I'm kind of letting them deal with that. I kind of got caught up trying to figure out what's going on, and I'm not smart enough to deal with that. That's why I pay my managers, I guess."

While Smith will allow his assistants to deal with the legal battles of his career, "Hands of Steel" will instead focus on the opponent that will stand in front of him Friday night.

"I try to make the other fighter adapt to my gameplan," Smith said. "Obviously if you're fighting a world-class wrestler -- or the fight I was supposed to have in EliteXC was against a judo national champ, an Olympian, Hector Lombard. Obviously I was getting a little more judo. But like in that fight, I'm not going to learn enough judo in eight weeks to be able to compete with an Olympian. So I try to focus on the things I do best.

"And if I'm fighting a wrestler, obviously I'm going to work on my takedown defense and getting up off my back. But I'm going to try and make him adapt to my gameplan."

In Martin, who owns 11 career knockouts or TKO's over the course of his 23-fight career, Smith will most certainly be facing a striker. Smith said he's had a chance to scout the fellow UFC veteran.

"[Martin] comes forward real strong," Smith said. "He presses the pace. Obviously he's a pretty good wrestler. But he's crisp with his punches. He's straight down the middle. He's a pretty good boxer.

"You definitely don't want to get caught by him. He gets a little wild sometimes, a little too anxious to get in. He's got a shorter reach, kind of like I do. So he's got to press the pace to get in there to land some punches."

And when Martin does look to get inside, Smith knows he's got to attack frequently, avoiding the type of caution that has plagued him at times in recent memory.

"I've had a bad tendency, because I do have heavy hands, of throwing that one-punch combo," Smith said. "We all know that just doesn't work. You've got to throw punches in bunches. ... I've got to let my hands go."

Smith -- who owns 11 knockouts or TKO's of his own in 13 career wins -- is fully aware of what it will take to earn his second victory of 2008. And the mindset with which he will enter the cage comes from a very well-known UFC slugger.

"(Former UFC light-heavyweight champion) Chuck Liddell said it best," Smith said. "You don't go out there looking for the knockout. You just go out there knowing you're going to get it. Just let the hands fly, and one of them is going to land and it's going to be over."

To hear the full interview, download Wednesday's edition of TAGG Radio, available for free in the TAGG Radio archives.

Feb 7, 2006
Despite late opponent change, Yves Edwards confident for Strikeforce bout

After 11 years and almost 50 bouts as pro fighter, very little can rattle Yves Edwards (34-14-1).

So while an opponent change less than two weeks before a headlining bout may bother your typical fighter, Edwards can't wait to face Duane "Bang" Ludwig (17-8) at Friday's "Strikeforce: Destruction" in San Jose, Calif.

"It's going to be a slightly different fight than I planned," Edwards recently told TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "But I don't think it changes too much. Just because we've got so many guys in the gym. And I love to spar. We're always sparring. I've seen every look that there is to see, and I see it every day."

Edwards was originally scheduled to face Strikeforce lightweight world champion Josh Thomson. An broken toe suffered in training forced the champion out of the bout, and Ludwig stepped in with less than two weeks notice.

Despite the late change, Edwards feels comfortable that his preparation with the impressive roster of training partners at American Top Team has put him in position to win.

"It won't change my preparation too much," Edwards said. "I guess I have to worry less about takedown defense. 'Bang' is not the kind of guy to go out there and shoot doubles and things like that. Of course I'm still prepared for that.

"Your gameplan changes a little bit. He's a much better striker. Not quite as good of a wrestler and maybe not so good on the ground. But that's my style also -- to fight from the top and fight standing."

Edwards trains daily with world-class fighters such as Gesias "JZ" Calvancante, Thiago Alves, Denis Kang, Thiago Silva, Jorge Santiago, Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, Din Thomas and Jorge Masvidal, to name a few.

But it's new WEC featherweight champion Mike Brown who Edwards credits for his recent development -- and who will corner him in his bout against Ludwig.

"Mike Brown just won the biggest fight of his life, and he was in the gym trying to help me get ready a few days ago," Edwards said. "He's right back at it, even with the rib injury. He got in and got some work with me.

"Me and Mike do a lot of work together. We're good friends outside the gym. And we probably work together more than me and anyone else or him and anyone else. He knows me better than anyone down here. He's got my back."

Edwards carried a three-fight win streak into his last bout -- a June EliteXC 160-pound title bout against then-champion K.J. Noons. Edwards dropped the bout in just 48 seconds. The UFC, PRIDE, WEC and Shooto veteran was able to pinpoint exactly what went wrong in that bout in order to prepare for Friday's outing.

"I got punched in the chin and I got knocked down," Edwards said. "I need to not let that happen again."

If he can avoid being caught by the dangerous striker, Edwards believes he has evolved into a well-rounded challenge for Ludwig.

"I've been down here working really hard with some good guys," Edwards said. "I've been trying to evolve my game. You come in with a gameplan, and that's fine and dandy. It's the guy that can make the adjustments is the guy that's going to win the fight.

"I think you're going to see the same Yves Edwards come out of the gate. But the guy that finishes the fight may be a completely different guy than you've ever seen before. We'll just see how that all works out."

Always recognized as a potent striker, Edwards also owns 14 submission victories to accompany his 13 career knockouts and TKO wins. The 32-year-old said he'll take the fight wherever his opponent seems to be struggling.

"It all depends on what 'Bang' brings to the table and where he seems strong in the fight -- and where he seems weak," Edwards said. "You can watch tape, you can watch tape. But sometimes you go out there and the guy's timing is different than what you've seen on tape. ... I'm just going to go out there and feel him out and see what presents itself to me and take every advantage that he gives."

To hear the full interview, download Monday's edition of TAGG Radio, available for free in the TAGG Radio archives.

Feb 7, 2006
Affliction VP To Fitch: Come On Over

UFC President Dana White's comments on Wednesday about welterweight Jon Fitch's dismissal from his company perked up more than a few ears in the industry.

One party interested in Fitch's services: Tom Atencio, Vice President of Affliction Entertainment. White named the "t-shirt guys" as a potential home for the American Kickboxing Academy fighter in the wake of his unemployment.

MMAInsider spoke to Atencio Thursday afternoon, where he confirmed Fitch would be welcome to fight for Affliction.

"Yes I am," Atencio said of his interest. "Does that mean we're going to get him? Don't know."

Atencio commended Fitch for standing up to the proverbial 800lb. gorilla.

"I think if you don't agree with something, than you should stand up for what you don't agree with," he continued. "And I've got to give it to him, he's got balls for doing it."

Though he admits Affliction's welterweight division is thin at the moment, he says the problem can soon be fixed, and Fitch could sign a non-exclusive deal with the company.

"We're still working both ways," Atencio said of Affliction's contracts. "There's some guys that want to fight in Japan and want to fight in Canada. Until we get going full bore and get 12 fights a year or whatever we'll end up doing, it's really hard for us to hold these guys to anything and make them sit on the bench. If they're not making money, they're not paying their bills. If they're not fighting, they're going to get ring rust. I don't want to do that to them."

As the number two ranked welterweight in the world, it's likely Fitch will soon have several suitors.

"I think he's a great fighter," Atencio said. "He's at the top of his game."

Feb 7, 2006
Josh Hendricks released by the UFC following loss to Gabriel Gonzaga

Josh Hendricks’ tenure with the UFC has ended after just one fight, as the heavyweight fighter has been released in the wake of his first round knockout loss against former UFC heavyweight title contender Gabriel Gonzaga.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com confirmed the news early Thursday morning with Hendricks’ agent, Ken Pavia of MMA Agents.

“By mutual decree, we decided it was best for Josh to get additional fights outside of the UFC,” Pavia informed Five Ounces of Pain during an interview. “Fighting in front of 15,000 people was overwhelming. As much as we tried to prepare Josh, there was nothing we could do to replicate it. Josh will get bigger and stronger and learn from the experience.”

Hendricks, who is 15-5 in 20 professional fights, landed a UFC contract after putting together a streak of 10 consecutive fights without sustaining a loss.

A talented wrestler in college, the 32-year old was a part of Randy Couture’s training camp in anticipation of Couture’s heavyweight title defense against Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 this past weekend.

The UFC currently has over 180 fighters on its roster and is expected to attempt to reduce its roster to 140 over the course of the next several months. Hendricks joins Fabricio Werdum, Paulo Filho, Marcus Aurelio, Jason Lambert, Jon Fitch, and Christian Wellisch as fighters to have been released by Zuffa in recent weeks.

Feb 7, 2006
BJJ coach bets: "Nogueira by submission"

The man behind Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira ground ground game trainings, Amaury Bitetti is confidence in the preparation of the UFC interim heavyweight champion for the fight against Frank Mir at UFC 92. “We’ve studied all his game, we know what he’s planning for the fight and we’ll annul him and win it on the ground. We’ll take him down, pass the guard and submit. He’s tough, focused too, but when Minotauro is well trained nobody holds him”, guarantees Amaury, who commented the trains to the confrontation, that happens in December 27th in Las Vegas, United States. “There are many people helping on his training. Me on the ground, (Rodrigo) Artilheiro no Wrestling, his brother, who is left-handed, Vitor Belfort...We are well to this fight”. Watching Minotauro’s fights usually is a cardiac test for the fans, before the fighter finds a submission from nowhere and wins the fight, but Bitetti predicts a calm fight against Mir. “This fight has no problem, he can get some kicks, then he’ll block it and take it to the ground. If Mir tries to do a ground fight with him he’ll suffer. In this fight he won’t hurt himself very much, he will get in concentrated. I don’t know how, if in the arm, katagatame or guillotine, but he’ll submit”, bets the black-belt.

Feb 7, 2006
KENNY FLORIAN: "BJ HAS ALL THE TOOLS TO BEAT HIM"
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3833.html
If you missed the chat session with top UFC lightweight contender Kenny Florian, check out the entire transcript to see what he had to say. "BJ vs. GSP is a big fight and I don't fault BJ for taking that fight...It could be a little while. I'll just say this. I think a lot of it is going to be me just waiting to see what happens in the BJ-GSP fight. Things could change based on a win or a loss with him," he stated and you don't want to miss what else he had to say about BJ Penn, his recent win over Joe Stevenson, his thoughts on Lesnar's victory over Randy Couture and much more.

Feb 7, 2006
MATT BROWN: "I'M BEGGING FOR COLUMBUS RIGHT NOW"
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3832.html
If you missed the chat session with UFC welterweight contender Matt Brown, check out the entire transcript to see what he had to say. "I'm begging for Columbus right now. I'm really pushing for that. It's a dream to fight in the UFC and even more to fight in the UFC in Ohio. I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY," he stated and you don't want to miss what else he had to say about his future plans, his recent win at UFC 91 and much more. Check it out!

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 91 Gear Sponsorship Breakdown

Jay Tillery of GymTops.com takes a look at the sponsor breakdown for UFC 91 when it comes to hats, shirts, and shorts. Interesting numbers, in that TapouT has a bigger percentage of the Hats and shorts market than they do their anchor area of shirts.

Feb 7, 2006
American Top Team boss claims no concerns with videogame exclusivity

The MMA world was taken aback with Wednesday's news of the UFC's release of top-ranked welterweight Jon Fitch -- and severed ties with the famed American Kickboxing Academy -- prompted by contractual disagreements regarding the rights to use fighters' likenesses in an upcoming UFC videogame.

Additional comments by UFC President Dana White from USA Today suggested other camps were also presenting difficulties that he deemed unacceptable.

Although rumored to be one such camp, American Top Team President Dan Lambert today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that ATT is just fine with the UFC's new requests for videogame exclusivity.

"All of our guys signed off on [on the exclusive videogame-rights agreement]," Lambert said. "I don't really think they were giving that much up, anyways. I didn't really see much of a demand for a videogame deal outside of the UFC. So I didn't think I was doing a disservice to my guys in recommending that they sign the deal. [The UFC] takes care of our guys in more ways than one. So, no problems on our end."

ATT houses several of the UFC's elite-level fighters, including Thiago Alves, Thiago Silva, Wilson Gouveia and Roan Carneiro, among others. Lambert said he recommended his fighters sign the agreement several weeks ago without concern that the deal would prove a negative for his camp.

"I didn't think it was an unreasonable request for them, and we signed off on it," Lambert said. "Other times you have to pick the battle. If you're in for a new contract and you've got to fight for your guy to get the best deal, you've got fight for the best deal possible. But they understand that. [The UFC] has always been reasonable with us, and they asked for a favor on that one. Again, we have no issues on it."

Initial reports from Fitch and AKA officials indicated a heavy-handed approach from White in attempting to get full compliance from the UFC roster in a deal that would leave fighters unable to lend their likenesses to any other videogames, including a potential project from THQ rival developer EA Sports. Lambert said White's pitch to him was far less aggressive.

"I actually got a call from Dana a couple weeks ago that basically explained the nature of [the UFC's] deal with THQ," Lambert said. "He basically said he was asking a personal favor of all the guys to step up and sign off on the videogame side of it, which was basically already in their standard agreements. It was just a non-exclusive. But he said he was asking a personal favor to change it all to an exclusive basis."

Lambert said he wasted little time in agreeing to the change.

"Dana's ... done a lot for this sport," Lambert said. "They've always treated us right. He asks a favor, (and) you've got to pick your battles. That wasn't a battle we chose to fight. All of our guys agreed."

The reason Lambert declined to protest White's request was the minor market and profitability for his fighters that the videogame market represents. The ATT executive believes there has been much confusion in the public eye -- and even the industry itself -- as to what White and the UFC were actually seeking.

"There was a merchandise deal that got a little bit of press a while back," Lambert said. "And basically when I read the merchandising agreement that they had asked guys to sign in the past, it was a non-exclusive merchandise deal whereby [UFC officials] were going to use their contacts and get merchandising deals for guys. And they were going to give a pretty generous percentage to the fighter on a non-exclusive basis.

"So if [the UFC] had a deal with XYZ distributor where they were going to sell a Thiago Alves shirt, they were going to pay Thiago a percentage of it. But if Thiago got his own deal with somebody else for a shirt deal, it didn't exclude him from doing so. I thought that was a good deal for the fighters as well."

(Many fighters and managers, though, decried the agreement and said it paid the UFC a disproportiante amount of revenues. Many still haven't signed the deal.)

Lambert said that while this new videogame agreement differed in that it was an exclusive deal, the limits only applied to the videogame market -- a market that the UFC already reserved fighter-likeness rights for anyway.

"This deal was different," Lambert said. "It was the videogame, and it was exclusive. It's going to forbid you from doing any other type of [videogame] deals without the UFC saying, 'It's OK.' But it's not like those deals are really out there to be had anyway right now. The UFC had in their standard agreement whereby they had the right to put you in a videogame without any compensation due to you anyway. They were just simply saying we need it to be exclusive.

"I didn't think it was really giving up that much for the fighter given the other opportunities they get and the promotion that it would be for you to be on the game. I think it's going to help you anyway. So I think there may be some confusion out there if guys think the UFC was asking them to sign away their lives with respect to all merchandising. That's just a mistake. That's not what it said."

Lambert said White never made any suggestions that ATT fighters' futures would be in jeopardy should they refuse to sign the new agreement. But then again, the negotiations never escalated to hardball tactics by either party.

"Possibly it would have gotten to that point if we had refused, but Dana basically gave me a call and explained what he was asking us and why he was asking us to do it," Lambert said. "It seemed reasonable, and my guys agreed to do it. I didn't think [White] was asking anything unreasonable.

"The guy that's done this much to get the sport where it is asks for a favor, and actually presents it in that manner, if you want to turn him down you better be prepared for the consequences. But he didn't word it like that in any way shape or form. He said, 'I'm asking for a favor not to go out and do a competitive videogame deal that's going to hurt the UFC's current deal with THQ.'"

Lambert insisted that if the UFC had presented an agreement that would have negatively impacted his fighters, he never would have encouraged those affected to sign the deal.

"If [White] was asking me to do something that would hurt my guys and maybe taken some serious money out of somebody's pocket, I probably would have had to fight him on it," Lambert said. "But that's not really the situation that's out there, and I don't see it coming out there any time soon. If he had asked us to sign this deal that any merchandising is exclusive to the UFC -- and you don't get anything for it -- I probably would have said, 'No. It's not reasonable.' But I didn't think this was anything along those lines. He just asked us to do it, and we said, 'Yes.' No threats, no consequences. He asked a favor and we said, 'OK.'"

While the dynamics of the current situation surrounding the UFC's relationship with Fitch and AKA has been hotly debated since the story's initial reports, Lambert believes opinions are being formed far too quickly.

"I don't want to sound like a company shill, and I don't think I am," Lambert said. "I think I've always done right by our guys and they've always done right by us. But I think every time I read something, it always makes the UFC out and Dana out to be the evil empire. They think that they don't take care of the fighters and they don't look out for the fighters' best interests -- that they're only looking out for the company. I think that couldn't be any farther from the truth.

"I think they've always taken care of the guys, at least my guys. In my experience with them, I think they're looking out for the betterment of the sport. I think they've done a tremendous amount for the sport. And to allow the fighters and the managers and the trainers and the agents and even your local John's Karate Academy to do so much more in this sport and with their lives and their moneymaking ability than many people ever thought possible. I think before people just cast judgment and say that they're the bad guys, they ought to check out all the facts. In this case I didn't feel like they were asking anything unreasonable whatsoever."

Feb 7, 2006
Affliction In Talks With Werdum

DreamFighters.com has learned through various[2] sources that Affliction MMA has been in contact with the management of Fabricio Werdum, in hopes of a contract deal and possibly have Werdum fight at their next event, “Day Of Reckoning”