MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Lambert-MacDonald Aligned for UFC 88

Possibly a nod to his well-received three-round tilt with Demian Maia (Pictures) at UFC 87 on Aug. 9, Jason MacDonald (Pictures) will be back in action sooner rather than later. The Red Deer, Alberta resident will replace an injured Jason Day (Pictures) against Jason Lambert (Pictures) at UFC 88 “Breakthrough” on Sept. 6 at the Philips Arena in Atlanta.

The bout will mark Lambert’s debut at middleweight, who spent the entirety of his seven-year career toiling in the 205-pound ranks. After reeling off a trio of Octagon wins in 2006, Lambert (23-8) has dropped his last three out of four, necessitating a change of pace for the Carlsbad, Calif. resident.

The well-rounded Lambert holds a key knockout victory over Renato “Babalu” Sobral at UFC 68 “Uprising” in March 2007, where the father of one came back from deficit to overcome the regarded Brazilian.

Like Lambert, MacDonald got off to a brisk start in the UFC with a pair of slick submission victories, but fell to former divisional champion Rich Franklin (Pictures) at UFC 68. MacDonald has flipped between wins and losses ever since, but his gutsy Aug. 9 performance against Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Maia was considered a highlight of UFC 87’s card.

Feb 7, 2006
World Victory Road announces official Sengoku 4 card, Sengoku 5 participants

The Japanese-based World Victory Road organization today announced its official fight card for "Sengoku 4," which takes place Aug. 24 at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama City, Japan.

A lightweight bout between Takanori Gomi and Pang Sung Hwan headlines the event, which also features the first round of a lightweight grand prix.

The organization also announced an additional participant for its upcoming middleweight grand prix and other event participants for its Sengoku 5 event.

The Sengoku 4 fight card (in reverse bout order) includes:

Takanori Gomi vs Bang Seung Hwan
Makoto Takimoto vs Frank Trigg
Clay French vs. Satoru Kitaoka*
Rodrigo Damm vs. Eiji Mitsuoka*
Bojan Kosednar vs. Kazunori Yokota*
Mizuto Hirota vs. Ryan Schultz*
Pawel Nastula vs Yang Dong Yi
Peter Graham vs Moise Rimbon
Valentijn Overeem vs. Kazuo Takahashi
* - lightweight grand prix bout

Sengoku 5 takes place Sept. 28 at the Yoyogi National Gymnasium in Tokyo, Japan.

WVR today announced Xande Ribeiro, Roger Gracie and Jorge Masvidal as participants, though their opponents have not been revealed.

The organization also announced Yuki Sasaki as a middleweight grand-prix participant. The longtime Pancrase veteran and one-time UFC fighter joins four other confirmed tournament fighters.

Previously announced participants include former UFC fighter Kazuhiro Nakamura, PRIDE veteran Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos, 2007 Strikeforce middleweight tournament winner Jorge Santiago, and Shooto light heavyweight champion Siyar Bahadurzada.

Sasaki was scheduled to fight in Strikeforce's four-man middleweight tournament in November, but on the eve of the event, he was pulled from the card and unable to receive medical clearance.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 90 nearing sell-out status

While the UFC has failed to sell out recent events in cities such as Columbus and Minneapolis, the organization's first-ever trip to Chicago is all but guaranteed to be a success.

On Monday the UFC held a press conference in the Windy City to hype its upcoming UFC 90 event, which takes place Oct. 25 at Allstate Arena in a suburb of Chicago.

Published reports peg ticket sales at more than 15,000 with a projected gate already topping $2 million. And the UFC still has more than two months to sell out the 19,000-seat arena.

The pace of ticket purchases has been staggering. In fact, tickets didn't go on sale to the general public until Monday, and UFC fan-club members and newsletter subscribers began purchasing their tickets beginning only this past weekend.

A representative from the Allstate Arena Box Office today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that, based on the initial surge of ticket sales, the event could be sold out "with the next week." The event will likely set the venue's live-gate record, as well.

UFC 90, which will air on pay per view, features a main event of UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva vs. Patrick Cote, as well as a welterweight bout between Thiago Alves and Diego Sanchez that's expected to earn the winner a title shot.

Feb 7, 2006
Mike Swick announced as UFC 90 participant

Mike Swick (12-2 MMA, 7-1 UFC), a former UFC middleweight who's now 2-0 since moving down to the welterweight division, will return to the octagon on Oct. 25 at UFC 90.

UFC President Dana White announced the addition during Monday's UFC 90 press conference in Chicago. However the official UFC 90 fight card on UFC.com does not yet list Swick.

An opponent has not been determined for Swick, who recently underwent minor elbow surgery.

UFC 90 takes place at Allstate Arena just outside of Chicago. It'll be the organization's first event in the state of Illinois, which recently passed legislation to begin the regulation of MMA.

After a lackluster majority-decision win over Josh Burkman in his welterweight debut, Swick posted a solid unanimous-decision win over Marcus Davis in his latest outing. The victory, which came at UFC 85 in June, snapped Davis' 11-fight win streak and has Swick inching closer to a worlwide top-10 ranking in a very deep welterweight division.

After that latest win, Swick told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he underwent surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow. He said the surgery was planned even before the fight with Davis.

"I've been needing to get it taken care of for a while," Swick said. "We knew we had to schedule it right after [the Davis] fight to get it done. I got a bunch of little bone fragments taken out of my elbow."

Initially, he expected a November or December return.

Feb 7, 2006
ProElite’s stock crashes back to Earth

After jumping from $2.50 per share to $8.00 a share on Friday, ProElite’s stock (PELE.PK) fell $5.25 from $8.00 to $2.75 per share on Monday. The volume for the day was just 3,000 shares, making it likely that just one investor sold his or her shares in the company.

In other company-related news, according to ProElite’s 8-K extension request submitted to the Securities Exchange Committee, the company will be filing its second quarter report today. We’ll have more details once the report becomes available.

Feb 7, 2006
Rodrigo Damm Interview

Rodrigo Damm’s debut on MMA wasn’t like he was expecting, but since then everything is perfect. With eight straight wins, Damm will be at Sengoku’s lightweight GP, that starts at August 24th, against Eiji Matsuoka. Training at Minotauro Team (Rodrigo Nogueira and Anderson Silva’s team), Damm is focused on the title to earn a chance to fight Takanori Gomi. In an interview to TATAME, the athlete spoke about his beginning in MMA, his training at Nogueira’s team, about his sister (Carina Damm) and his preparation to the GP. Check below the complete interview.

How did you go to fight in ?

Two years ago I did a couple of fights in , and got a title. Now, my manager put me in Sengoku and I’ll face Eiji Matsuoka in my first fight, and if I beat him I’ll fight twice in November to the title. If I win this title I’ll face Takanori Gomi for the belt. I spoke to Nogueira brothers, that welcomed me pretty well and we’re with a tough team in MMA, so that I can develop my game.

How did you meet the Nogueira brothers?

I was in Espírito Santo and had no training, no sparrings, only a good Muay Thai and Boxing coach, but I got a weak training. I started training a lot, develop my game and the rest of the people got stucked with a weak game. My sister was in and met Rodrigo Nogueira and they offered us to train with them here. They have a champ team, a great training center. They’re helping me a lot in training and pass me a lot of fighting experience.

Is the train here much heavier that you thought?

We try to find a guy in our weight to avoid the injuries. Training here are great, for my last fight I trained with Thiago Tavares, I’m training a lot with Fabio Mello, with the whole team. I came here just a week ago. I had some problems to solve in Espirito Santo, had to train there, and came here to get that differential detail.

Your sister told us a little bit of your story… Tell us about it.

My grandfather is German and my mother is Italian. My father is a joiner, they have a pretty cool life. Our fathers had no participation in my life in MMA, only my sister Carina, that supported me since the beginning and kept me in the BJJ, paid my training and helped me to compete. She always was with me and sometimes had to sell some jewelry to get money and help me.

She said that when she fights, she likes to have by her side… How do you see her in the MMA?

She a very tough athlete, always helped me a lot. Every fight she does make me wanna fight a lot more, I love to see her fighting, like to stay by her side, not because she’s my sister, but because she is a warrior. Sometimes her opponent is more technical than her, but she has a lot of heart and wins because of that.

Do you think she’ll get a belt? How do you see Carina comparing to American and Japanese athletes?

Carina is a high level athlete, she has developed her game a lot at Boxing and Muay Thai, and she came from a great BJJ team. I believe she is in the same level of any opponent, American or Japanese.

How is to fight at ? How many fights have you done?

Two years ago I did two fights in Mars, my debut was against a Korean fighter, and than I fought with a Japanese, and won both. My welcoming was great, they received me very well and liked my performance. Two months ago I defeated Jorge Masvidal, from ATT, and now I’ll face Eiji.

Do you prefer fighting in or ?

I wanna do my work wherever I am. I never fought in USA, only once in Canada, but I hope if one day I fight there, it happens like I do in Japan. People there liked me a lot and respects me like a athlete. It’s pretty cool.

How was your start in Jiu-Jitsu? Do you still have a team in Espirito Santo?

Carina took me to train BJJ first. I have a team there, the Damm Fight, and we train BJJ and some MMA stuff. Our MMA team is only in the beginning, but some day it’ll can be a strong team.

What’s your biggest dream? Win a belt in ?

I wanna fight Gomi, not because I wanna be better than him, because he’s a great champion and I like to face great champs to prove that I can be a one too.

What’s the way to beat him?

I’d try to develop my game. I have a good Wrestling and BJJ game, he has a heavy hand, but I’ll try to put him down and win there

Feb 7, 2006
FEG/Dream Cut New Deal

MP & Silva agree new rights deal

Sports marketing agency, MP & Silva (MPS) has agreed to a five-year deal with Fighting and Entertainment Group (FEG Inc.)to become its exclusive worldwide media rights partner from 2009 to 2013.

Under the deal, MP & Silva acquires the international distribution rights (except Japan, South Korea, and the United States of America) to events organized by FEG Inc., including K-1 – one of the world’s largest and most popular kickboxing and martial arts series – and DREAM, a mixed martial arts (MMA) series.

Andrea Radrizzani, Chief Executive Officer of MPS, said: “We are pleased to reinforce our relationship with FEG through this new deal, and excited to extend our partnership to cover the rest of the world. We are very confident that in five years we will not only be able to further propel the popularity of K-1 and DREAM in Europe, but we are also bullish that we are capable of growing its visibility and overall demand for FEG’s events in other emerging markets.”

The agreement marks the second time that MPS has teamed up with FEG Inc. after the agency helped K-1 and FEG’s previous MMA series, PRIDE, establish and expand its international footprint to over 135 countries.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
The Sengoku 4 fight card (in reverse bout order) includes:

Takanori Gomi vs Bang Seung Hwan
Makoto Takimoto vs Frank Trigg
Clay French vs. Satoru Kitaoka*
Rodrigo Damm vs. Eiji Mitsuoka*
Bojan Kosednar vs. Kazunori Yokota*
Mizuto Hirota vs. Ryan Schultz*
Pawel Nastula vs Yang Dong Yi
Peter Graham vs Moise Rimbon
Valentijn Overeem vs. Kazuo Takahashi
* - lightweight grand prix bout
That's a pretty dope card. I know it ain't DREAM's LWGP but it should still be pretty competitive and Nastula finally gets someone not in the top 10.

Jul 24, 2005
UFC prez says champ wanted Cote next

UFC president Dana White said middleweight champion Anderson Silva was pulling for Quebec's Patrick Cote to beat Ricardo Almeida in their last bout since he wanted to fight the Canadian.

Speaking at a news conference Tuesday to promote October's event, UFC 90: Silva vs. Cote, White recounted what Silva told him as Cote earned a split decision over Almeida in July in a bout for which the winner was promised a title shot.

Said White: "(Silva told me), 'This kid's going to come out and stand up with me. We're going to go toe-to-toe. He'll bang with me. It will be a great fight for me and for the fans."

Cote's win at UFC 86 was his fourth straight in the Octagon to even his record at 4-4. (He's 9-0 outside the UFC.) His previous two victories were first-round TKOs, which is no surprise as the 28-year-old nicknamed The Predator is known for his striking.

Many people believe Cote, like most of Silva's opponents, doesn't stand much of a chance against the superior all-around skills of Silva, who's known as The Spider. But White, who says Silva is "without a doubt the best fighter in the world," believes it isn't a done deal that the Brazilian will walk away with the belt intact. Especially against a guy with the strong chin and one-punch knockout potential of Cote.

"The great thing about this sport is anybody can win," White said. "At any given time anything can happen."

UFC 90 will take place at the Allstate Arena in Chicago, the first ever event in Illinois

Jul 24, 2005
Often criticized, T.U.F. gives fighters golden opportunity

by Josh Gross

These days, it's easy to be critical of The Ultimate Fighter.

What was once the vehicle that helped elevate mixed martial arts alongside prominent sports in the U.S., the Spike TV reality show has since been ridiculed for becoming just another formulaic reality show.

But, perhaps more concerning to the longevity of the show is that a growing number of its participants have - fairly or not -- been labeled mediocre, as well.

As the Ultimate Fighting Championship and Spike TV try to balance entertainment, promotion and, most importantly, quality talent, results can be less than stellar, as recent seasons have shown. Those of us hoping the next Forrest Griffin will emerge out of the haze of missed armbars and shoddy takedowns have been repeatedly let down.

For the men who agreed to sign on, it's clear their initial goal was to become an established fighter in the UFC -- the undisputed leader among MMA fight promotions today. And as 32 more fighters get ready to take the biggest step of their careers thus far, it's undeniable just how important T.U.F. has become to the athletes.

"I came on the show because my No. 1 goal is to be in the UFC, and this is a great catalyst for that," Ryan Bader, a 24-year-old light heavyweight prospect on Season 8, told SI.com. "The exposure you get off the show -- you can't beat it. And you can show your skills to a wide array of people. Instead of coming up by fighting in smaller shows for four or five years, and then finally making it to the UFC, you're thrown into the mix right away. You have fans -- whether you're the good guy or bad guy -- because people either want to see you succeed or fail, so it's a great place for exposure."

Beyond the marketing advantages T.U.F. delivers to fighters, the intense nature of the show provides unique learning opportunities. Call it "Fight Camp," complete with bunk beds and full-time counselors.

This season, the head counselors include UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and former heavyweight titleholder Frank Mir. For a relatively inexperienced competitor, the chance to train with mixed martial artists of this caliber is invaluable, and in many ways, the most important part of their growth as fighters.

"When you have some of the best coaches in the world, some of the best fighters in the world, you get something new everyday," said 30-year-old light heavyweight Krzysztof Soszynski.

The day-to-day training with peers under the tutelage of men that have made it to the top cannot be understated. It has jumpstarted the careers of a number of fighters who might not have otherwise succeeded.

Plus, the show has lasting effect. While The Ultimate Fighter's original concept allowed for just one winner per weight division, guys like Kenny Florian and Josh Koscheck have shown that previous contenders can find as much a chance to succeed in the aftermath of T.U.F. as the champions themselves.

Sam Morgan, a member of Season 2, eventually washed out of the UFC, but his time on the show is something that will follow him well beyond his fighting days.

"It was a good experience because of the people I met and the training I got," Morgan said. "It was a bad experience because when you're up on stage everybody gets to see your flaws -- not so much who you are, but judge you by whatever clips they show."

The label of a "T.U.F. contender" has helped make Morgan more marketable to promoters outside the UFC. Bouts against the likes of Cung Le (Strikeforce's Nov. 2007 event) bring substantially larger paydays than Morgan would have earned had he not appeared on the show.

"It was a good résumé builder," Morgan said. "People know who they're dealing with when they call me up to fight."

In the end, The Ultimate Fighter, like most game shows, is based on results. While talent may vary from cast to cast, the competitiveness displayed from season to season has remained consistently high.

Knowing what's at stake - the UFC contract, of course, stardom, money, perhaps a championship -- fighters sign up with the understanding that they really have nothing to lose. Earning the T.U.F. badge seems to only help a fighter's career. And that's one aspect critics often fail to recognize

Jul 24, 2005
Without Zuffa’s aggression, nobody has momentum

By Zach Arnold

Have you noticed the compete lack of heat going into the second Affliction show on October 11th? You’re not the only one.

The promotion will headline their second big show (this time at the Thomas & Mack Center) with a main event of Josh Barnett vs. Andrei Arlovski. On paper, it’s an excellent bout. In reality, however, it’s going to be hard to see the fight moving the needle as far as casual fan interest is concerned. Affliction spent so much energy promoting Fedor on their debut show that the theme for the second show is, “Which heavyweight will end up facing Fedor down the road?” Call it the “Kimbo Slice effect,” but Affliction’s second show could turn out in similar fashion in terms of crowd heat as Elite XC’s second show on CBS did when they didn’t have Kimbo Slice on the card as opposed to their initial showing on broadcast TV.

The great irony in Fedor not appearing for the second Affliction show is that he claims he wants to fight on New Year’s Eve for DREAM in Japan. DREAM is another promotion that is teetering on the edge of collapse and given Fedor’s track record of headlining promotions that have gone out of business, it would be a sad but fitting end to K-1 & DSE’s bastard child of an MMA project gone horribly stale.

When UFC President Dana White made an aggressive pitch to attack Affliction’s debut show on multiple levels (including a counter-show featuring Anderson Silva), everyone universally panned the move by White as giving Affliction free press coverage. After all, the storyline of Affliction vs. UFC was one that media types were certainly interested in both covering and selling to the masses. Despite the common logic that White made a mistake in going after Affliction, White actually proved a point about Affliction and other rivals to UFC by accident. A funny thing happened along the way… UFC has proven that without their momentum to bash the competition or to promote one of their own shows, your casual MMA fan in America has little interest in watching the ‘other guys.’

It’s safe to say that in North America, MMA fans are really more or less UFC fans on a general scale. You may as well call Affliction the CFL and Elite XC the Arena League at this point, given the treatment that other promotions have received in both the press and amongst casual fans.

If you accept the premise that UFC is the only game in town and that their marketing prowess is what drives the current MMA market by-in large, then how can anyone establish momentum against the 800-pound gorilla in the market? One word: consistency.

Consistency is not an attribute that we’ve seen on display at all with UFC’s rivals.

Elite XC is in complete turmoil right now. Gary Shaw and Doug DeLuca are both gone from the company, while Jeremy Lappen is now the head matchmaker. Without Shaw’s hard-edge marketing and showmanship, EXC is turning into a very bland MMA promotion with a CBS TV deal. The company is also facing a very serious lawsuit by Wallid Ismael, who claims that EXC management ripped off characteristics from his Jungle Fight promotion and basically took all of his knowledge of the MMA business without any sort of compensation. That lawsuit starts gaining steam in the courts next month.

As if a lawsuit and executive departures weren’t bad enough for Elite XC, the company is facing tremendous financial stress in regards to all of the major B-level acquisitions that it made (Cage Rage, ICON Sport, an investment in Spirit MC, King of the Cage) and hasn’t capitalized on in terms of either managing those respective brands or the fighters under contract to those organizations. The attempt at creating a farm system has massive failed and negatively impacted the business.

Affliction, heading into their second ever MMA event this October, does not seem to have the media juice or buzz like they had going into their debut event. Remember, the promotion proclaimed their first card as “the greatest heavyweight card of all time.” Was it really the Affliction brand and fighters that sold interest to MMA fans the first time around or was it the fact that Affliction was perceived to be on par with UFC and feuding with Dana White as a main reason people were curious about watching the debut show?

UFC’s media promotional machine headed to Chicago on Monday and put on a show for the media there at their press conference to announce the headline fights for their October 25th show in the market. The Chicago Sun-Times and other major media outlets are covering UFC’s entry into the marketplace on a major level, despite the fact that the IFL ran a few shows at Hoffman Estates in the area and received little or no coverage for it.

For Affliction’s sake, the promotion must hope that their October 11th event in Las Vegas draws the ire of UFC for basically running on Zuffa’s home turf. If Zuffa ignores Affliction and does not give into the temptation of giving them free media coverage, then Affliction will have a very hard time generating media interest and significant cash flow for the second show. Without someone like Tito Ortiz headlining the card, it is going to be hard to fathom how Affliction will garner major attention from fight fans, insiders, corporate sponsors, and players in the fight game for the second show. Perception is reality and right now, Affliction is a t-shirt company that is simply viewed as a glorified ATM to fighters and nothing else. Unless the company can show a track record of consistency in promoting high-quality shows and turning a profit on said shows, then it is going to be very hard for this upstart organization to gain any sort of momentum unless they can draw the ire of Dana White and stir up a hornet’s nest in the press.

The fact is that UFC right now has all the momentum and nobody else in the industry does. Without UFC’s momentum, things simply don’t get done or pushed because nobody cares about the other players in the industry right now.

Jul 24, 2005
Elite XC’s future could rest on Kimbo’s shoulders

By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports

Less than three months ago, Elite XC was celebrating the most-watched mixed martial arts event ever in North America, the sport’s debut on CBS featuring Kimbo Slice.

Today, numerous questions are being asked about the future of the company, which canceled two shows in the past week and had several internal layoffs and the resignations of key officers over the last month.

And just as the first network television show on May 31 was a key event in MMA history, the third show, featuring Kimbo’s next match on Oct. 4, seems just as important.

The Sept. 20 Showtime event scheduled for Albuquerque, N.M., was canceled on Friday, just days after the card was announced. In addition, a show called Cage Rage Contenders, run out of the company’s London, England, Cage Rage promotion, scheduled for last weekend was canceled just days ahead of time.

A filing on Monday with the Securities and Exchange Commission noted the company was spending significant time and resources to raise up to $3 million in new financing. Company filings also state the promotion has lost about $30 million since its debut show in early 2007.

But the filing notes that even if the financing closes, and if the company makes significant reductions in expenses, the new funding would only be sufficient to carry the company through the end of the year.

Amidst all this, Elite XC has a show that simply needs to draw ratings on CBS from the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. Slice (3-0) is scheduled against an opponent to be named, and Gina Carano (6-0) is expected to face Kelly Kobold-Gavin (16-2).

After ratings dropped 43 percent for the second CBS show on July 26, built on providing championship matches and action fights, the hope is the Slice and Carano, the main draws for the first show, will bring the numbers back up. Elite XC and CBS have one more event after this remaining on their contract.

Elite is in a precarious position having to rely on two stars, particularly Slice, as the key to its future. Slice has a new television commercial for Nike with NFL star LaDainian Tomlinson and is a huge Internet celebrity from YouTube videos. There is a great curiosity about seeing him fight.

But he’s also 34, inexperienced, and struggled to beat journeyman James Thompson on the first CBS show. Unless he shows incredible improvement in record time, there is likely to be a short shelf life in fascination with him.

While the company was criticized for headlining him on the first show, after the drop in ratings when trying to promote better fighters, there is little alternative at this time.

The only opponent that would come close to guaranteeing good ratings is Tito Ortiz, who in the past had talked of being willing to move to the heavyweight division to face Slice. But it doesn’t appear they have the money to afford Ortiz, who hasn’t made a deal with the high-spending Affliction promotion due to the sides being well apart financially.

There also has been a mass exodus of front office staff, including Gary Shaw, who had been the public face of the promotion since its inception, and Doug DeLuca, the chairman of the board, who had been directing the business end. Both resigned days before the last CBS/Showtime card in Stockton, Calif., although it wasn’t made public until after the event. Other employees were let go in the days before the show. More employees were gone last week, the most notable was Patrick Freitas, who worked as a matchmaker for their Hawaii-based Icon Sports promotion.

DeLuca, just before his resignation, noted that television was not paying enough to sustain the company. That’s a key reason why Elite XC ended up on CBS in the first place. The network had been in serious talks with UFC, but UFC didn’t feel the terms were acceptable, even with all the advantages of network prestige and potential increases in viewership.

The CBS deal calls for a $1 million stock purchase every time they televise a show, and an undisclosed but smaller rights fee. DeLuca noted the only way to sustain the promotion long-term is to be successful on pay-per-view, which up to this point nobody in the MMA business has been able to make work financially except UFC.

Elite XC company had talked about doing a pay-per-view early next year, but it’s hard to put together a lineup that would work with UFC dominating that marketplace with monthly shows.

To keep Slice alive as the draw they need him to be, they can’t afford to match him with any top-level fighters. His best bet for TV ratings purposes would be past-their-prime pioneers such as Ken Shamrock or Don Frye. But at some point, the public would see through such one-sided matchups.

The difficulties in finding a match for Slice underscores a Rubik’s cube like puzzle in the sport, and that is, exactly what does it take to consistently draw and keep viewers?

The wide variances in television ratings in recent months for not only Elite XC, but also World Extreme Cagefighting, have to have all promoters of the game concerned. The lesson seems to be that if a show is hyped big enough and has the right stars or the right big match, it can be very successful on television. But just putting good MMA matches on television isn’t enough, and as for building an audience base by putting on good shows, it doesn’t seem to matter.

The 1.7 rating for Elite XC’s July 26 card, which even in the Saturday night wasteland for television is unacceptable for a major network, underscored a long-term problem. Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith had a great action fight on the first CBS show for the middleweight title, which ended controversially when Smith was poked in the eye and ruled unable to continue. A rematch on the second show, which Lawler won by knockout, promised similar action and delivered.

The second show promised far better action than the first, but the casual fan who makes the difference in ratings didn’t care. Even worse, the event was not just a CBS show. The first hour aired on Showtime, a primary owner of the company, including a match where Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva beat Justin Eilers to become the company’s first heavyweight champ.

It only drew a 0.7 rating, the lowest yet for a major Showtime event.

WEC suffered a similar lesson on Aug. 3. Its prior show on June 1, featuring a much-hyped Urijah Faber featherweight title defense over Jens Pulver, did a 1.4 rating, one of the largest audiences in the history of the Versus network. The show delivered with the main event and bantamweight champ Miguel Angel Torres’ win over Yoshiro Maeda being two of the year’s best matches.

The company, which has always delivered as far as show quality, came back last week and fell to what was the company’s average rating before June with a 0.5 rating. The message seemed to be if a match is hyped to death and has the right personalities, like Faber vs. Pulver, they can draw a big audience. But even with all those new viewers that were likely satisfied, few came back to see Carlos Condit, Brian Stann and Jamie Varner all defend championships.

The next show, on Sept. 10, pits Faber vs. Mike Brown. Brown (19-4, but only one loss as a featherweight)is a powerhouse at 145 pounds, but is unknown to all but the most ardent fan.

Jul 24, 2005
Kentucky-based AFL is vying to snag Ortiz

By Dan Stupp

He has zero victories in his past three fights.

His few wins in recent years have come against an aging Ken Shamrock or via controversial split decisions. In fact, he hasn't beaten a notable opponent in clear-cut fashion since four years ago, when he topped Patrick Cote via unanimous decision at UFC 50.

Still, there's no denying that Tito Ortiz is one of the most popular and marketable fighters in mixed martial arts today.

So, when the 33-year-old fighter fulfilled his UFC contract and vowed never to return to the company, the free-agent market was thrown into a frenzy.

Despite Ortiz essentially announcing that he had agreed to a "record-breaking" contract with the rookie Affliction Entertainment promotion, Ortiz is once again negotiating with the sport's big players, including the Kentucky-based American Fight League.

Earlier this month, Ortiz (15-6-1) announced that he had reached a deal with Affliction — a long-term deal that he claimed would make him the highest-paid fighter in MMA. At a press conference the following day, though, Affliction would barely confirm the company was even in negotiations with Ortiz.

Now, according to industry insiders, Ortiz is hosting formal negotiations with all the top promotions — Affliction, EliteXC, the AFL and even, surprisingly, the UFC.

"I don't know if we're really negotiating, or simply helping Tito stroke his giant ego," one frustrated company representative said Sunday, Aug. 17.

Although both Ortiz and the AFL have confirmed negotiations, the fledgling fight company isn't talking numbers. However, the organization apparently has some pretty deep pockets; earlier this summer, the AFL raised some eyebrows by signing top female fighter Tara LaRosa to a contract worth at least $500,000 — an amount unheard of in women's MMA.

The AFL is, at best, a longshot to land Ortiz. However, with the organization set for its pay-per-view debut later this year, Ortiz is just the headliner it needs.

Feb 7, 2006
Two Matchups Announced for Sept 26 ShoXC

ShoXC returns to the Chumash Casino on September 26th for another showcase of upcoming talent looking to earn their way onto EliteXC fight cards, or in the case of one fighter, return to EliteXC fight cards.

In the first of two matchups confirmed for ShoXC, the undefeated Shane Del Rosario (4-0) takes on Jon Murphy (4-3).

Shane Del Rosario is a strong prospect in not one, but two combat sports. To compliment his MMA career, Del Rosario is an active professional Muay Thai fighter and is 5-1 (five knockouts). This will be Shane's third appearance on ShoXC.

Jon Murphy, while looking to get back on the winning track, will be Del Rosario's biggest test to date. Murphy has won via KO in ShoXC and was last in action at EliteXC "Primetime" on CBS, where he engaged in a slugfest with Brett Rogers.

The second matchup confirmed for ShoXC features the popular and talented Erik "Bad" Apple (9-1) vs. undefeated Matt Makowski (3-0).

Apple has built his impressive record in a handful of West Coast organizations, winning titles along the way. While Makowski has spent time growing his name on the East Coast-- including a dominating win over Nick Serra.

Feb 7, 2006
KJ NOONS: "BOXING IS NEXT UNLESS SOMETHING GOOD COMES UP"
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3275.html?PHPSESSID=87c715db19f146dd47e64a4768b58fed
If you missed the chat session with EliteXC lightweight champion KJ Noons, check out the entire transcript to see what he had to say about his future plans. "At this point, I just want to fight the best out there and keep testing myself and if not, I'll keep building my career in boxing," he stated and you don't want to miss what else he had to say about his return to the cage, a possible move to boxing for a dream matchup with Oscar De La Hoya and much more.

Feb 7, 2006
Report: Affliction Debut May Have Sold 100,000 PPV's

It appears that Affliction now may have generated over 100k PPV sales in recent reports. Affliction has reported earlier that PPV sales were well over 100k, however analysts and sport officials have made public the high possibility that Afflcition did not even break 90k PPV sales, let alone more than 100k PPV sales.

Meltzer is now updating his original assessment:

It's been hard to narrow down a buy rate for the Affliction show. Promoter Tom Atencio has claimed the figure was more than 100,000. Updated cable sources we've checked with have estimated from a low of 65,000 to a high of 100,000. Either way, the number is both excellent by the standards of a promotion with no television (it beats anything TNA has done with 2 million weekly TV viewers), but as noted over and over, it's a substantial money loser.

Feb 7, 2006
James Lee Injured, Replaced By Mike Patt For UFC 88

In another replacement due to injury, MMAWeekly is reporting that Ohio native and BoDogFIGHT veteran Mike Patt will step up to fight Tim "The Barbarian" Boetsch after James Lee was force to withdraw due to injury.
Patt's record is an impressive 11-2. He most recently defeated Adam Rodman at Fight Time Production's November 2007 event via guillotine choke.

The submission specialist Patt will be given a rude welcome to the UFC when he takes on "The Barbarian". Boetsch started his UFC career off with an impressive win over David Heath but went on to lose against Matt "The Hammer" Hamill in April.

UFC 88 takes place in Atlanta, Ga. and will be held at the Phillips Arena. The night's main event will feature Rashad Evans taking on Chuck Liddell.

Feb 7, 2006
Report: UFC could return to Montreal on Dec. 5

Bryan Alvarez of Figure 4 Online reported during the site’s daily update on Tuesday that the UFC appears likely to return to Montreal at the Bell Centre on Dec. 5 with current UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre a possible headliner.

Alvarez adds that the site will have more news on the situation tomorrow, as the recent news has not yet been made official by the UFC.

St. Pierre has stated in recent radio interviews that he does not intend to return until early-2009 after fighting frequently the past 12 months. However, if UFC officials want to do a card in Montreal in early December and they want St. Pierre on it, they could try to convince him to take a fight on that date.

The news of a possible Dec. 5 is intriguing, as the UFC has shows planned for November and on Dec. 27.

UFC officials have been rumored to be working on a possible main event involving Quinton “Rampage” Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva for a Nov. show that could take place in Portland, Ore. It should be noted that the availability for both fighters is still uncertain. Jackson has legal issues that must be addressed with and Silva specifically requested that the UFC not schedule him for a fight before December.

Nothing has been announced officially for the Dec. 27 show, which tentatively planned to take place in Las Vegas. However, it is expected that UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira will take on Frank Mir. Chuck Liddell could also be in action if he’s able to defeat Rashad Evans next month and does so without sustaining a serious injury. It’s unclear whether Liddell would fight UFC heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin or if he would be matched up against current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

Feb 7, 2006
Jay Estrada could fight Josh Thomson at Sept. 20 Strikeforce (Updated)

Veteran fighter Jay Estrada (21-9) could fight Strikeforce world lightweight champion Josh Thomson (15-2) at the Sept. 20 "Strikeforce at the Mansion II" event in Beverly Hills, Calif.

A source close to Estrada told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fighter has agreed to the bout. However, Strikeforce Vice President Mike Afromowitz today clarified that the fight is not signed.

However, if Estrada is booked as Thomson's opponent, it'll be a three-round, non-title affair, according to Afromowitz.

Thomson, who defeated former title-holder Gilbert Melendez in June for the title, has long been attached to the "Strikeforce at the Mansion II" fight card, though an opponent has not been announced. The event takes place at the world-famous Playboy Mansion.

The upcoming event also features a Strikeforce world light-heavyweight title bout between Bobby Southworth (9-5) and challenger Renato "Babalu" Sobral (30-7), as well as a middleweight bout between notables Kazuo Misaki (20-8-2) and Joe Riggs (28-10). The organization hasn't announced the night's official main event and instead is expected to promote the three fights as co-headlining bouts.

Estrada, who's riding a three-fight win streak, has fought for organizations ranging from the International Fight League to the Canadian-based TKO promotion to King of the Cage. While his victories have come largely to lesser-known opponents (with a pro-debut victory over UFC veteran Sam Stout an obvious exception), Estrada's losses come largely to notables such as Clay Guida, Bart Palaszewski and LC Davis.

Thomson, meanwhile, is riding a seven-fight win streak, which includes just two decision wins. The former UFC and PRIDE fighter picked up the Strikeforce lightweight bout with an upset unanimous-decision victory over Melendez.

UPDATE: In addition to Estrada, MMAjunkie.com has been told by a source close to the fighter that Lion's Den lightweight Ashe Bowman (8-4) is also under consideration as a potential opponent for Thomson.