Miami vs pittsburgh

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
Ben was 18/21 and Willie looked good at first, and we did okay passing in that weather without Santonio playing. But we can't get fucking 3rd and short or 4th and goal if our lives depended on it and our third down playcalling in the middle of the field is fuckin bullshit.
I agree, 3rd and short is killing us!!! I'm use to the old days when we would Wedge it with the "O"Line and Smashmouth it with an Isolation Blast. Instead, we spread them out and pass on 3rd and short??? What the fuck is that? To go along with that, our Offensive Cordinator Bruce Arians is making a lot of suspect calls. I love "Fast Willie", but we need a Power Back and Davenport is not the answer so far! We should at least run some isolations with Kreider lead blocking and Parker or Najeh following behind. What happened to our "Naked Bootleg" with Big Ben picking up short yardage first downs? More common sense does need to be used on some of the play calling. At least it's not as bad as when Mike Mularky was our "O" Cord.....

Stealth

May 8, 2002
I totally agree with everything you said, especially Mike Mularky. He did a great job in Buffalo :rolleyes:

But its not even passing on 3rd downs that pisses me off. Its throwing a screen or a dump pass on 3 and 15 that's getting to me. I mean, if you're not even gonna try to get a first down...and you're playing against the Jets or the Dolphins...you're just being a fuckin pussy.

Arians did mix it up on offense though. He's done a lot of good things, getting the receivers involved, trusting ben...its just not consistent enough. Hopefully with experience he'll be able to call some plays without getting booed by frustrated Steelers fans every 3rd down, but if we keep this up, we're gonna have a tough time against the elite teams in the playoffs.

I guess this Bengals-Patriots-Jaguars stretch will show us a little bit more about our team. But once it starts getting too cold to throw and the traditional power running teams start pounding on the defense, I'm wondering how effective Parker is gonna be.

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
I guess this Bengals-Patriots-Jaguars stretch will show us a little bit more about our team. But once it starts getting too cold to throw and the traditional power running teams start pounding on the defense, I'm wondering how effective Parker is gonna be.
I agree, but I also don't mind going to the Single Back Spread if the Offensive Line can hold their blocks. Our "O" Line looked confused when we played the Jets a few weeks ago. They gave us a taste of our own "D" medicine when they came at us in different exotic blitzes! Our "O" Line couldn't figure out which LB was dropping, blitzing and spying. I say we gotta go play action more on 1st down and then hit' em with some Draws to keep the opponent honest. Remember a few years back when we surprised Indy and Denver in playoffs by faking the run and hitting Heath, Hines, and others on 1st down? We definately have the Roster to compete, but the play calling has to get more consistent like you said.