Marshal Mathers LP overrated?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 2, 2003
man I loved this album some chick bought it for my momma cuz my momma loved bitch please II & I remember playing the cd to my teacher in the 8th grade & my teacher looking at me and saying "no wonder yo ass so corrupt" classic indeed

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
i did the same thing.i went back and listen to all of his albums and to me THE ENIMEM SHOW was the best and that because he had a variety of good topics to rap about and he was half ass serious on it.Then Recovery because he just ate the mic up.all the double time rapping he does on Recovery makes MMLP and SSLP sound slow and boring and made strictly for shock value.they where good for the time they came out.if yall got those albums,listen to Recovery then list to MMLP and SSLP right after.youll know what im talking about.Relapse was just testing the water with his double time flow but fail with the shock value.

Encore was so weak it dosnt deserve to be mentioned.

edit:had to add that.
Eminem Show is the newest shit ive heard from Eminem...I did like it too. i think SSLP puts me back to 1999-2000. imm peep recovery and ill be back!!!

Apr 6, 2010
that was a good album. some of you think because a teeny bopper can enjoy it, it automatically has to come out of your rotation. nelly is probably more gangsta than 99 percent of the nerds on this site.
A teeny bopper being able to enjoy it isn't the problem, it's just an "ultimate" album. Nelly has always been mediocre; He just knows how to write a catchy hook though.

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
Speakin on Nelly, down here in Oklahoma dudes would post up like OG's bumpin the hell out of Nelly's first cd. He did talk about some gangster stuff on there, but it was pop and catchy. It was kinda like you couldn't really clown a dude for listening to country grammar, but almost didn't feel comfortable listening to it yourself. It was at least that way for me. I've never liked that album or Nelly.

SSLP was sick in it's own right. I liked that Em more. The bad meets evil, don't give a f***, role model, guilty conscious, all really really good man. Em progressed and dug deeper and more personal about his life and got more creative with rhyme schemes but to me, the most creative lyrics were the first 2 albums from what I've heard

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
A teeny bopper being able to enjoy it isn't the problem, it's just an "ultimate" album. Nelly has always been mediocre; He just knows how to write a catchy hook though.
thats your opinion. i thought it was a dope album. jay e had some hard ass beats. vh1 is not doing an "ultimate album" show for the gangsterest of gangster siccness postin mufuckas. that was a good disc and vh1 is talkin about commercial shit. thats one of the highest selling and commercially successful rap cds of all time . did you expect to see ganksta nip or cbo on there or something? its vh1 lol

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
you could tell Eminem was hungry on: sslp, and mmlp. Eminem show he started playing with his flow... and every album after that he raps a little different

Apr 6, 2010
thats your opinion. i thought it was a dope album. jay e had some hard ass beats. vh1 is not doing an "ultimate album" show for the gangsterest of gangster siccness postin mufuckas. that was a good disc and vh1 is talkin about commercial shit. thats one of the highest selling and commercially successful rap cds of all time . did you expect to see ganksta nip or cbo on there or something? its vh1 lol
All I'm saying is that the their ultimate album list may not be so "ultimate." If they judge an album soley on sales and impact, then yes, I guess it is an ultimate album. However, I dispute that criteria. You seem to assume that the rap albums I would like to see on there should be the most hardcore of the hardcore. That is not the case. My argument, again, simply is that Country Grammar does not deserve that title based on the fact the album itself isn't consistently good. It has the sales but lacks the quality I think an album labeled as "ultimate" should have. Will Smith's Big Willie Style would honestly have been a better candidate than Country Grammar.

Nov 7, 2006
I wouldnt say its overrated because it is a nasty album but i think do give it more credit than deserved. for me IMO theres too many joke songs on it, granted i like them i just think Eminem Show had more heart and substance in it. anyways it is a great album and i even own both versions of the cd so i aint hating at all just my 2 cents

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
All I'm saying is that the their ultimate album list may not be so "ultimate." If they judge an album soley on sales and impact, then yes, I guess it is an ultimate album. However, I dispute that criteria. You seem to assume that the rap albums I would like to see on there should be the most hardcore of the hardcore. That is not the case. My argument, again, simply is that Country Grammar does not deserve that title based on the fact the album itself isn't consistently good. It has the sales but lacks the quality I think an album labeled as "ultimate" should have. Will Smith's Big Willie Style would honestly have been a better candidate than Country Grammar.
come on dog youre trippin. big willie style? gtfoh.

once again, your opinion is in the minority. just like i dont think 2pac is even close to the best rapper ever. i dont think hes in the top ten or even close. but im in the minority. some people swear hes one of the greatest lyricists of all time. we all have opinions, i just dont understand how you can expect much different out of vh1. now if this was murderdog or something i could understand.

ET23

Sicc OG
May 22, 2008
I love the MMLP. One of the top 5 albums of all time in my book. The anger and the humor sprinkled throughout the album is great. You can feel the passion in Em's lyrics, and it's just an album you can listen all the way through. Not to mention Dre on the boards only adds to it.
Tell me back in the day who wasn't humming the lyrics to "Real Slim Shady" everywhere you'd go?
*A crazy Sticky Fingaz verse also helps certify this a classic!
*Kill You, Stan, Remember Me, Kim, Marshall Mathers and Criminal are standouts.

Jan 27, 2004
I remember getting drunk my senior year in highschool to mmlp "KIM" and we would scream every word with soo much passion and emotion. we would act it out and everything. one of the fondest memories of my life. I think the era and the feel of the time count alot in a true classic. *side note: Pac was the biggest thing in the world the year he died, thats what will always make him so special

Jan 28, 2005
I'd have to say this album is an ABSOLUTE classic. Stan was great lyrics, a great story and a great concept. Eminem definitely showed he can paint a picture with a pen on that track. Then you had the pencil in the background? Clever. That one song has more substance in it than some other rappers entire careers. You had a track featuring Snoop, Dre and Xzibit- tell me that aint classic! Then you had "The Way I Am" which was a #1 song for a while, and this whole song is like a middle finger to everybody that made it #1. People were picketing and sending him death threats and trying to sue everybody involved with that whole project. Amityville is like a gutter Detroit anthem.

In my mind, this is a classic hip hop album. For you to say it isn't classic- I think you're overlooking a lot of things that this album came with.

Y'all are sleeping on Infinite too...

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
I remember getting drunk my senior year in highschool to mmlp "KIM" and we would scream every word with soo much passion and emotion. we would act it out and everything. one of the fondest memories of my life. I think the era and the feel of the time count alot in a true classic. *side note: Pac was the biggest thing in the world the year he died, thats what will always make him so special

holy shit, doggystyle dropped when i was in high school lol damn im old

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
I'd have to say this album is an ABSOLUTE classic. Stan was great lyrics, a great story and a great concept. Eminem definitely showed he can paint a picture with a pen on that track. Then you had the pencil in the background? Clever. That one song has more substance in it than some other rappers entire careers. You had a track featuring Snoop, Dre and Xzibit- tell me that aint classic! Then you had "The Way I Am" which was a #1 song for a while, and this whole song is like a middle finger to everybody that made it #1. People were picketing and sending him death threats and trying to sue everybody involved with that whole project. Amityville is like a gutter Detroit anthem.

In my mind, this is a classic hip hop album. For you to say it isn't classic- I think you're overlooking a lot of things that this album came with.

Y'all are sleeping on Infinite too...
if it aint a classic, NOTHING IS.