How can we reduce our cancer risk?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
WHITE DEVIL said:
ic

So if somatic traits are not heritable, a somatic lineage simply refers to... the qualities of somatic cells in the body?
do I have to explain the difference between somatic cells and germ-line??

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
|GOD|||ZILLA| said:
actually.. i'd like you to explain what we can do to reduce our cancer risks?
he already did in a previous post i believe...talking about changing your lifestyle...it could have been someone else tho...but i think i saw it on page 2.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I don't admit anything, these are facts, just as it is a fact that lifestyle is a huge factor
By stating the facts and not denying them, you are implying or directly stating the information is fact.

What I wanted to emphasize is that the lifestyle that can reduce your cancer risk is by no means the lifestyle of animals in the wild so it should not be called "natural", it is actually very artificial...
I would consider it neither "natural" nor "artificial" but BENEFICIAL or HEALTHY.

see, I am not speaking about genetic predisposition to cancer, I am speaking about why the species H.sapiens develops cancer when it could have been prevented to a much greater extent with some evolutionary adjustments...
But wouldn't evolutionary adjustments have a direct relation to genetic predisposition?

Some lower organisms like Planaria develop cancer very rarely as opposed to mammals The question is why is that and the answer is that the selective pressure simply has not been there...
And blacks are more prone to prostate cancer than asians, what exactly is your point? I understand worms are used in cancer research, but IMHO, you are comparing apples to oranges. It would appear that the more advanced somethign is, the more it will encounter problems.

Suppose you have a genetic variation that makes you less susceptible to cancer in late age

It provides no selective advantage to you because you have already reproduced and you're most likely dead by the time it will make you better off so it will not be stabilized in the population (you will not reproduce with a greater frequency than other individuals)

Now suppose you have a genetic variation that makes you more susceptible to cancer in late age.

Again, this provides no selective disadvantage to you because by the time you develop cancer, you have already reproduced and transmitted your "bad genes" to the next generation or you're most likely dead

I don't think you got it judging from your post
I DO get it. That is why I said, "I believe that would depend on when you actually had kids. If you were 40+ when you had kids yes that would be applicable, but if you were in your 20's I don't see how that would work."

What you're saying is the selective advantage that will benefit you is basically useless to your body because it happened too late (when you were well in your years and on your death bed) and that it is too late to pass on the "good" genes because they were not passed on when they could have provided a benefit. If this is what you're saying, can you see why I said it depends on when you had kids?

You're generally right but in order to develop cancer you need to acumulate lots of mutations (at least 5 in most cases)

You need to mutate a master regulator of the cell cycle (Rb, INK4, ARF, etc), overactivate mitogenic signalling pathways (for example, oncogenic K-Ras, HER2, APC, or something like this), immortalize cells (overexpress hTERT) destabilize the genome (mutate some DNA repair proteins, or even better, p53), then you need a mesenchyme-to-epithelial transition in order to spawn metastasis, you need angiogenesis, etc.

These are lots of mutations and changes in the genome and it takes years and decades for all of them to occur.
Basically what you're saying are the mutations don't happen over night and because of this, it accumulates over time and surfaces when a person is well within there years. Quick question, when I was with my sister at Stanford medical a couple of years ago, we were told that the type of Lymphoma she had was generally found in white women 60+. However, my sister was a black woman in her late 40's, and they couldn't determine exactly why she had that form of cancer. Now, my question is because this is all in the genome, how much of her cancer can be attributed to genes or was it the result of life choices?

what is an "unnatural" mutation?????????????
Something that would be triggered from outside influences and would not have happened on its own.

WD said, "I just was wondering what exactly somatic lineage meant. The internet has not been helping."

Somatic cells are nonsex cells like the cells of your liver, your hair, your tonsils etc.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
HERESY said:
Your first reply to me in this thread set the tone. Ride it out now, bucko.
You took what I said a little too personal. It was a serious question. You just read it, it was a serious question. It wasn't rude at all. I've said this a few times. If you assumed I was trying to be rude to you because "lately I've been mean to you" then you need to fucking think again, cause you ain't that important to me! If you can't understand that by now, then fuck it, you really are a stupid mother fucker.

By the way, the age span he put out there was 25 to 30. Do you consider 40-45 to be "elderly"? Cause I sure as fuck don't. Maybe you should have actually taken what I said serious and tried to discuss it with me, rather than being a crybaby bitch about how I'm "not being nice to you recently."

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
GTS said:
Cancer has no limits. It's touched my family, has it not touched each of yours?
3 of my grandparents died from cancer...mostly related to smoking cigarettes...or drinking too much.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
HERESY said:
By stating the facts and not denying them, you are implying or directly stating the information is fact.
yes, it is, what's the problem?

I would consider it neither "natural" nor "artificial" but BENEFICIAL or HEALTHY.
OK

But wouldn't evolutionary adjustments have a direct relation to genetic predisposition?
That's not what I had in mind

And blacks are more prone to prostate cancer than asians, what exactly is your point? I understand worms are used in cancer research, but IMHO, you are comparing apples to oranges. It would appear that the more advanced somethign is, the more it will encounter problems.
no, it's just that falt worms consist almost entirely of stem cells and stem cells are both the ones who have the best protection systems against cancer and the ones who are most often, if not exclusively give rise to cancer (and the two things are related)

The question is why falt worms almost never develop cancer no matter how long you keep them alive and why we don't have the same ability and that's what people are trying to find out

I DO get it. That is why I said, "I believe that would depend on when you actually had kids. If you were 40+ when you had kids yes that would be applicable, but if you were in your 20's I don't see how that would work."

What you're saying is the selective advantage that will benefit you is basically useless to your body because it happened too late (when you were well in your years and on your death bed) and that it is too late to pass on the "good" genes because they were not passed on when they could have provided a benefit. If this is what you're saying, can you see why I said it depends on when you had kids?
OK

Basically what you're saying are the mutations don't happen over night and because of this, it accumulates over time and surfaces when a person is well within there years. Quick question, when I was with my sister at Stanford medical a couple of years ago, we were told that the type of Lymphoma she had was generally found in white women 60+. However, my sister was a black woman in her late 40's, and they couldn't determine exactly why she had that form of cancer. Now, my question is because this is all in the genome, how much of her cancer can be attributed to genes or was it the result of life choices?
The fact that certain cancer usually develops at certain age doesn't mean it can't develop earlier. If the right mutations happen early, there's nothing to prevent it from appearing earlier. These mutations might be a result of lifestyle but might just as well be the result of bad luck

Something that would be triggered from outside influences and would not have happened on its own.
So you know what molecule cause each and every base substitution in each of your cells and you can trace the origin of that molecule??

I doubt it

WD said, "I just was wondering what exactly somatic lineage meant. The internet has not been helping."

Somatic cells are nonsex cells like the cells of your liver, your hair, your tonsils etc.
and NOT your gonads

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I AM said:
You took what I said a little too personal. It was a serious question. You just read it, it was a serious question. It wasn't rude at all. I've said this a few times. If you assumed I was trying to be rude to you because "lately I've been mean to you" then you need to fucking think again, cause you ain't that important to me! If you can't understand that by now, then fuck it, you really are a stupid mother fucker.

By the way, the age span he put out there was 25 to 30. Do you consider 40-45 to be "elderly"? Cause I sure as fuck don't. Maybe you should have actually taken what I said serious and tried to discuss it with me, rather than being a crybaby bitch about how I'm "not being nice to you recently."

Again, you come with underhanded shit and expect no one to pick up on it.

May 14, 2002
GTS said:
Cancer has no limits. It's touched my family, has it not touched each of yours?
Twice that I know of. My aunt, breast cancer but she recovered from it witouth surgery. She had to do a chemical tho.
And my grandfather died from it, his was because of cigarettes... altho he quit smoking 20 years earlier.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
yes, it is, what's the problem?
You're the one who has the problem with it. I said you are admiting to something, and you used bold letters to emphasis that you were not.

That's not what I had in mind
So what did you have in mind? You can explain yourself.

no, it's just that falt worms consist almost entirely of stem cells and stem cells are both the ones who have the best protection systems against cancer and the ones who are most often, if not exclusively give rise to cancer (and the two things are related)

The question is why falt worms almost never develop cancer no matter how long you keep them alive and why we don't have the same ability and that's what people are trying to find out
My take on that is because we are more advanced, and in being more advanced, we are more prone to certain ailments and problems.

The fact that certain cancer usually develops at certain age doesn't mean it can't develop earlier. If the right mutations happen early, there's nothing to prevent it from appearing earlier. These mutations might be a result of lifestyle but might just as well be the result of bad luck
Is it really bad luck or is something else happening? IMHO, luck makes it sound random, so if the mutations are random are they natural? Meaning, are they supposed to occur?

So you know what molecule cause each and every base substitution in each of your cells and you can trace the origin of that molecule??

I doubt it
That is not what I'm saying, relax and read for a bit bro. When white devil listed chemicals you said, "All the chemicals you listed cause cancer because they are mutagenic or at least they bind some cellular proteins that control the cell cycle (phorbol esters and PKC are the classical example) and if this happens in cells that already have other mutations, or mutate some important gene in some subsequent division, you initiate cancer development". What I am saying is exposure to these chemicals are not natural and were a contributing factor to the development of cancer. Would a person exposed to radiation develop skin cancer if he or she were not exposed to the radiation over a period of time? Probably not, this is what I mean by not being "natural'.