Freedom Town: Aesthetic and Recreational Lawn Alternative

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Smurf's a cool dude, he still posts sporadically. He introduced me to a lot bands in the mid 2000s that I'm still a fan of today.

The skinny scene kid jeans thread he made in the OF was hilarious. Still not sure if he was trolling or not because duded also like a lot of scene metal that I could just not get jiggy with though.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Why what happened? Thought you were diggin the spot.
I was.

I mean the shop is awesome, the location is fantastic, very cool clients, lots of work to do. My problem is with the ownership/barber Jonny, the fat bald dude, don't know if you saw him when he was in there...anyway...

Dude is running the shop into the ground. He smokes weed all day, talks shit, in and out of jail, not paying bills, shows up occasionally, just super unprofessional. Has his boys in all the time that are a bad element for a work place, doing the same stuff he does. When he's not around everyone is super cool and happy working, but when he's there its weirdly tense. So to this point its been an irritation, but its separate, so I (we) could hang and work.

When it went down today it hit a different level. As yall may or may not know, we had a death in the family last week, and that was topped off by car problems. So we've been flying people from coast to coast, taxis, etc...Then fixing a car in the meantime.

Last Monday he messages us (the barbers) that were going to have a shop meeting on Wednesday. Wednesday comes, and he doesn't show up. I'm there, but working on the car the entire day. I finally figure the issue out, and take off to get the parts to fix it at 4:05pm, it was slow so another barber left a minute or 2 behind me. Come to find out he came in ~6:30 expecting everyone to be there, so there was no meeting. The next day, he doesn't show up. Friday he shows up, doesn't say anything to anyone about any meeting type business. Saturday, said he was going to be there, still didn't show up. So my day off today I get a text along the lines of "we need to talk tomorrow, see you at the shop ~10am." I text back asking whats up, he says he wants me to work part-time for some convoluted reasoning, I say no way. He call there starts getting super hyphy on the, gets suuuuper disrespectful with me, calling me a liar about god knows what, "first you had car problems, and now its a dead relative, you don't know what you're even lying about." and some just way out there shit. So I said forget it, you cant talk to me that way, and having talked like that now work with me ever again, I'll pack my stuff up and I'm out. So I hung up, drove over there, packed, said goodbye to some friends around there and bailed.

TL;DR

Condensed version: My owner is the worlds biggest J-cat, got super disrespectful out of nowhere so I quit.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Yea fuck that... owners/ bosses/ mangers that think they can talk crazy can fuck off.

Its one thing to have a tough boss that's a stickler, but run a tight ship... and a asshole, thats retarded trying to tell you what to do.
Yeah, it was just a mess.

First off, I'm an independent contractor, he cant order me to do anything. His input can be about my finished product, but he has no say in who/what/when/where I do what I do. My rent is paid? Fuck off.

Secondly, a "boss", an owner, a supposed "master barber"...? To call a co-worker out of the blue so rudely, making fabricated accusations about oddly insignificant issues, then to curse at me, to tell me our dead relative is part of my now crumbling lies...man...

2 good barbers quitting in the same month, a third talking about leaving...a few months after another quit, good luck dude.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Sorry to hear you had to put up with an asshole like that at a spot you otherwise liked a lot. I'm sure something bigger and better will come up man.
Thanks buddy.

Yeah, it will work out.

The barber that left before me works a spot in downtown Oakland, we get along super well and he said he'll talk to the owner, and my best friend from barber college works at their 2nd location, so theirs a good chance that I can get in there. It's a little more hipster than I'd prefer, but what am I gonna do, right? They make good money though, hipsters got money.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
That they do. One of my friends has been a stylist since we were in our early 20s, I know somewhat of a difference there but same ball field, and she always said the two best places to work are where there are lots of young hip people or gay guys. Those areas tend to charge more than others for the same cut, the people don't mind because they have the money, and they tip well.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
0R0 @0R0 I got my FrankSosa copy. Got the white cover. I was only able to flip through it before coming to work but I really liked what I saw. Worth the $15 for sure, was quality made. Think I'm going to cop the MF Doom one soon.