Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
GARY RUSSELL SR: "WE WILL FIGHT WHOEVER, BUT IT'S GOTTA MAKE SENSE"
By Percy Crawford | March 13, 2014
GARY RUSSELL SR:

"We are actually the mandatory for the WBO, and for the WBA, you got Jhonny Gonzales, who right now Golden Boy is acting as promoter for him. But we not the mandatory. We are ranked #3. So it makes good business sense to them to put us on to fight their man so they can control the finances and everything. We will fight whoever, but it's gotta make sense, man. It's slaving. You got Showtime and you got Top Rank. They are not gonna negotiate with one another because they at war, so that hinders a lot of the fights you want," stated Gary Russell Sr., father and trainer of undefeated super featherweight Gary Russell Jr., as he talked about their future plans and much more. Check it out!

PC: How are you doing, Big Gary?

GRS: I'm holding on, man. I'm dealing with the sugar and the high blood pressure, but we trying to get that stuff right, eat right, and take my medicine.

PC: I think all of your sons fight, but we will stick with the one who is already a professional. There is a lot of talk about what should be done with the WBO and WBC titles. What would you like to see happen?

GRS: The way I see it, man, we are the mandatory in the WBO. We been the mandatory since Salido fought Cruz, so they stepped around us. We were told there was no representation for the meeting, Golden Boy or Al, no one spoke up, so they passed. So we were the mandatory for the next fight. So then he fights Lomachenko, but Salido couldn't make weight, so he lost the title on the scales. So now they want us to fight Lomachenko for the title, and my thing is, what's the justification in that? We will fight whoever, but what is the justification? He lost to Salido. "Well, Salido was overweight." I understand that, and if he would have beat Salido, he would have walked away with the title. He got paid to go through with it, so he took the money, you know what I'm saying? So here we go with the double standards because you pay money to the sanctioning bodies and I don't think it's fair. This is the problem; a lot of people who really don't know how this business is rocking. They don't really know what type of stuff is going on. He fought, his opponent was overweight, so if he wins, the title is his, but he fought anyway and lost. He didn't have to fight him. He took the money. If he would have knocked him out, guess what! He would have took the belt. There would have been no argument.

PC: Does it bother you that people feel your son is the one avoiding these types of challenges?

GRS: No, it doesn't. I'm beginning to realize, man, it's a business. And the people will always have criticism and an opinion. And all of the people with opinions are irrelevant to what's going on. When it's all over and done, these same people find somebody else to criticize and something to hype about. They are not putting themselves on the line. I said to Gary this is a temporary job. He is 24-0 and the knockouts are a bonus. He hasn't lost a round in none of his fights as a pro, so I let them talk because they haven't even seen him in first or second gear. He has been in cruise control. So it doesn't matter what they say. What bothers me is the true politics of the business, man. It's like going to a doctor to get a colon exam. You want to find the doctor with the smallest finger, but you gonna get hit either way you go.

PC: It seems like the network wars and the promotional wars are starting to leave a lot on the table in the fight game right now.

GRS: Ah man, it's terrible, man. The bad thing about it, the fighters are getting paid pretty nice salaries, but they not getting paid their just. They are not getting paid what they should be getting paid. The promoters and managers are making a ton of dough, man, off of these guys. They might give a million dollars out and the fighters feel like, "Oh man, I got a million dollars. I'm a millionaire. I'm there." But between the promoters and managers, they done broke up $5 or $6 million between the two of them.

PC: Do you have a preference to who you guys fight for these titles or does it not matter?

GRS: We are actually the mandatory for the WBO, and for the WBA, you got Jhonny Gonzales, who right now Golden Boy is acting as promoter for him. But we not the mandatory. We are ranked #3. So it makes good business sense to them to put us on to fight their man so they can control the finances and everything. We will fight whoever, but it's gotta make sense, man. It's slaving. You got Showtime and you got Top Rank. They are not gonna negotiate with one another because they at war, so that hinders a lot of the fights you want. Now we got a situation where the belt we are mandatory for is on the opposite side of Showtime. It's a situation where we are the mandatory with no ties to either network. The smarter move would be to go get that vacant belt and bring it over. But what happens, you get the big money on the other side, Top Rank and Bob Arum, and they say we gotta keep this john. We gotta keep it. He will go to the President of the WBO and say, "Man, look here, you need to give my man another shot," because he want to keep it in his stable. The game is crazy, man.

PC: What was your take on Lomachenko fighting for the title after just one pro bout?

GRS: I think it was disrespectful to boxing. I thought it was disrespectful to #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 and all the way up to 15. These guys been fighting and they are ranked in the top 15 and this guy with no pro experience, 1 pro fight, and they put him in a spot. So he bypasses all of the rest of them guys to fight for a title off of his amateur accolades. We not dealing with the amateurs now. Where does that happen? Only in America. That's some old Don King stuff. If you got some money, you can sway the people. If you look at it, they move people where they want; puppet masters. A guy with no pro experience who hasn't paid his pro dues and they stuck him in front of everybody else to fight for a title. What does that say for that organization that allowed that? Then the question is raised, if they can do that, what can they do with the judges? They don't want to talk about that, but it's a true deal. If I could take a nobody and jump him up here and put him up for a title, fuck everybody else, I could probably grease somebody's palm and make sure that certain guys win.

PC: When would you like to see Gary fight again?

GRS: The talk was we were supposed to be fighting on the 19th in DC on the undercard of Bernard Hopkins. My feelings were we shouldn't be on the undercard of Bernard. Bernard is a good fighter and a novelty fighter and a good dude. I know Bernard. He's a good dude, but I feel we should get on our own card and headline our own card. It's smart business because the card is for Bernard. Man, I'm gonna tell you, and this is going off track and I know I'm shaking the tree, and really I don't care. I'm not out there fighting. At the end of the day, you gotta go out there and beat my son and I don't think nobody just gonna beat him. On any given night, dude can get lucky and hit you and put you down, but for somebody to go mano y mano with him, he gonna blow them out because it's not the style or the speed, it's defense and offense all combined. You have to be able to change your style up and be creative. He has that mindset of that type of complete fighter. So I'm not worried about it when I say things like this because I know I might shake the tree, but what I was about to say is, perfect example, Danny Garcia fighting Matthysse on the undercard of Floyd for Mexican independence Day. Everybody gonna watch that joint and I thought that was a main event fight by itself. So of course with the money they made off of that fight, which broke the record, they gonna give that money to Floyd and Canelo. So Danny is gonna get a piece of the money, but if he would have fought the same holiday and he was the main event, he would have made more money. But to the powers that be, it's more favorable to them to make this fight on that card because Floyd gotta get his. But the amount that was reported that Floyd got was a big discrepancy to how much money they made.

PC: I appreciate your time and your honesty, and save my number and hit me up anytime. Best of luck to you and your sons in that boxing ring.

GRS: Thank you. I got you, baby!

Feb 8, 2006
cool if true, need more competition in boxing

I hear Al Haymon and Richard Schaefer are starting a new company, and leaving Golden Boy for good. maybe taking their business exclusively to Mayweather promotions, should be interesting

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2006
TIMOTHY BRADLEY LEAVING NO STONE UNTURNED AS HE PREPARES FOR MANNY PACQUIAO: "I'M HERE STUDYING HIM ALL DAY"

BT: I know some fighters don't really like to watch too much boxing during their free time; kind of like leaving work at the office when you're home. Do you watch other boxing fights regularly?

TB: Yeah, I'm a fan. Dude, I'm a student, man. I watch all these cats, man. I'm looking at everybody. That's all I do, man. Everybody that's around my weight, I got a game plan, for you. I check out everybody, man. If you got a video on YouTube, I probably done seen you already because I go through those ranks; I gotta see who's trying to creep up and take my spot. It's not gonna happen. I knew Marcos Maidana before anybody knew Marcos Maidana because he had some stuff on YouTube. I checked the ranks out; I seen his record and I was like, let me see if this name got stuff on YouTube. So then I youtubed him and I was like, aw man, this dude's a wrecking ball; this dude is just coming and he's a straight brawler. And then I started bringing his name up and people was like, "Who?" I was like, "Marcos Maidana." And they was like, "Who is that?" I was like, "You'll see him real soon." That's when he fought Victor Ortiz and I was like, man, Ortiz gonna get his butt hurt (laughing). And he did too, man, because nobody knew who he was. Yeah, most guys don't watch film; they too cocky with themselves. They say, "Aw, I don't watch film. I leave it to my trainers." Aw, you stupid; you dumb, man. How you think most of these athletes and teams get better? They watch film. They look at guys' mistakes. They look at certain things, and breaking down film is like what I was taught to do. I was taught to do that when I was like 18 or 19. Al Mitchell taught me how to break down film, what to look for, and it just started clicking.

BT: So after already having the experience of being in the ring with Pacquiao, do you still study film on him?

TB: Man, I'm here studying him all day. All day, man. Every time I get a free minute, I'm studying. Whether I'm on the toilet, whether I'm in the car, or wherever, I'm always looking at different things. I study everything. I look at training; I look at different things these guys are doing, man, just so I know them.

BT: I ask simply because some trainers prefer for their fighters not to watch too much film on their opponent. For example, Robert Garcia told me that he doesn't want Maidana to watch any film on Floyd Mayweather.

TB: I think that these guys, they know their fighters and they know how they react to certain things and they don't think it'll be good to expose them to watching it because every fighter is different. So that's why, you know what I mean? They know their fighter, they know how they react, and if they watch Floyd and see how good he is, then it will discourage them, you know what I mean. It's just like some fighters; like for instance, when we spar and stuff, and we bring in a guy and the guy is like getting the better of us that day, trainers will stop the sparring session because they don't want to kill our confidence. My trainer is different. If I'm getting my butt whopped in sparring, he's like, "That's good. You're getting your ass kicked in sparring right now because in the fight, that won't happen. You need to get it handed to you because you ain't doing what you're supposed to do." So he never stops the sparring session. It's been many times where I felt like, "Man, I'm tired after 6 rounds," and he's like, "We're going 8." He's just like, "We're going 8 and you're going to freakin' suck it up right now because if you quit, I'm not going to have these guys running back saying, 'Oh, I made the champ quit. He said 8 rounds, but he only did 6,' and talking all this crap." He was like, "No, you're going to finish when I say you're going to finish, so you know what? These two rounds, they need to be your best rounds." And that's when I come out and I just dominate those last two rounds and he's like, "I told you." And I'm like, "Yeah, you're right, man," so he's always constantly pushing me and stuff. But I do all my film work, man. Me and my trainers, like my father, he has a game plan and he has different things he looks at. So when I work with my father, I work with him like that. And then Joel, you know, he watches film like crazy too, so when he comes to the gym, then we're working on stuff that he saw. It's better to have 4 eyes than just 2, and then I got my own input too because I'm the one in the ring and I know what I'm capable of doing. So I look at it too so I have my own way of what I see as well. And then what we do, we put it all together, man.

That's why we're undefeated, man. We put it all together and it works for us. If you look at Joel and myself, he knows me so well; he knows the way I'm feeling just by the way I come in the gym and everything. He knows me very well. The crazy part about it is that our communication is like no other, man. We communicate and a lot of trainers don't really ask their fighters anything in the corner. They only tell them what to do. But me being a fighter and Joel being a fighter, Joel knows that certain things that he asks for, I can't do. In the Marquez fight, he was just like, "Throw that right uppercut. Every time you throw the right hand, he's ducking underneath." I was like, "No, I'm not going to do that because he's looking for that left hook." He was like, "Okay, alright, well drop more feints and follow his body," and so I was able to do that. After the first round of every fight, in between, he always asks me, "Hey, what do you see?" You could hear me say in the Marquez fight, "He's solid." What I meant by that, and Joel knows what I meant by that, is that, hey, he's a very quality fighter and he's difficult, you know what I mean, meaning he's solid. He has solid skills and counterpunching ability; he's the real deal. And then there's some times I come back to the corner and he's like, "What do you see?" And I'm like, "I got this." (Laughing) Because I know, I just know I got this and this dude ain't ready for me. Then when he hears that, he's like, "Alright, cool. This is what I want you to do. Do this, do that!" And I'm like, "Alright, alright. I'll do it." Yeah, my trainer is off the chain, man.

BT: I take it the only time you two had a disagreement on what to do in the ring was when you fought Provodnikov (laughing).

TB: (Laughing) I learned. You know what I did? I fought with emotion. I had a lot of built up anger inside of me and that's what happens. But at the same time, you know, we had a game plan. I just abandoned it and I just went on my own because I felt like I had a lot to prove.

BT: So there probably wouldn't be a repeat performance if you too fought again.

TB: Nope! I'ma dance circles around him and then prop his ass up. That's what I'ma do.

BT: No doubt. Well I don't want to keep you, Tim, so I'll let you get back to studying. You may want to check out YouTube; I hear there's some new footage of Manny hitting the mitts. People are saying it looks like he's got that killer instinct back, though I'm not sure how they can tell just by seeing him hit the mitts (laughing).

TB: That's good. He's gonna need it. Yeah, everybody is like, "Oh, Pacquiao says he's going to be the Pacquiao of old." Well shit, where has he been? Thank you. Great! Fantastic! You know, that shit don't bother me, man. I don't care what people say. You know, it's going to be me and him in the ring fighting.

Jul 24, 2005
ERISLANDY LARA: "I'VE WORKED MY ENTIRE LIFE TO BECOME A WORLD CHAMPION...THE DREAM HAS COME TRUE"
By Press Release | March 13, 2014
ERISLANDY LARA:

Super Welterweight sensation, Erislandy "The American Dream" Lara (19-1-2, 12 KOs) has been elevated to World Champion by the WBA (World Boxing Association) after successfully defending his interim title against Afredo Angulo (22-4, 18 KOs) and Austin Trout (26-2, 14 KOs). The Cuban born fighter, who now resides in Houston, Texas, is happy that the WBA has made their decision to make him a World Champion.

"I applaud the WBA for their decision to make me a world champion and I want to send a special thank you to a good friend of mine Gilberto Mendoza from the WBA," said Erislandy Lara. "I've never had anything come easy to me. I've fought everyone that has been offered to me with no hesitation. All I want is an opportunity to prove I'm the best fighter in the division. I've worked my entire life to become a world champion and now the dream has come true. I'm truly living the American Dream and I love this country that I now call home."

Lara can arguably be referred to as an undefeated fighter, but was robbed in his only loss on record, a controversial majority decision debacle against Paul Williams, that forced the New Jersey State Athletic Commission to suspend all three judges scoring that night for their incompetent judging.

With the elevated status of WBA World Champion, Lara feels his career is heading in the right direction. He wants to challenge the best fighters in the world and knows what it's going to take to get those fighters in the ring.

"It's no secret that I would like to challenge the likes of Canelo Alvarez, Floyd Mayweather, Gennandy Golovkin and any other top fighter that feels they are the best. I'll fight anyone. I'm going to keep working hard and do my best to keep winning fights. Boxing should be about the best fighting the best. If we were back in the old days of Sugar Ray Robinson and Joe Louis, all these fights would have been made already. I'm hoping boxing resurrects itself to the days when the best fought the best. I love this sport and I will do what ever it takes to make it better for the fans." Lara concluded.

Jul 24, 2005
Robert Guerrero says Khan turned down fight with him
Read more at Robert Guerrero says Khan turned down fight with him

Robert Guerrero ✔ G @Ghost BOXING
Follow

Tried to make the fight with . A @amir KingKhan but his team turned down the fight! #fanslose #ghostbackinactionsoon #alltalk

By Scott Gilfoid: Well, so much for a May 3rd fight between Amir Khan and Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero for the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Marcos Maidana undercard. As you can see, Guerrero says he offered a fight against Khan and was flat out turned down. Boy, this is really sad, isn’t it? Guerrero vs. Khan would have been an excellent fight for the Mayweather-Maidana undercard on Showtime pay-per-view. Now why would Khan turn down a fight against Guerrero? Is he afraid of him or is more interested in taking a safer fight against Luis Collazo for May 3rd?

That fight would have really helped the PPV numbers for the card, and it would have given an opportunity for both guys to boost their status in the boxing community. For Khan, it would have given him the meaniingful fight that he was looking for in order to show that he deserves to be in the same ring with the talented Mayweather. For Guerrero, a win over Khan would have put him right back in the thick of things in the welterweight division. I think Guerrero would have won this fight, but I guess that’s probably why Khan turned the fight down.

What this means is that Khan will likely be fighting former WBA welterweight champion Luis Collazo next on May 3rd. I don’t know about you, but I have zero interest at all in seeing a fight between Khan and Collazo. I mean, that fight is 7 years too late, because that’s pretty much when Collazo stopped being relevant after he lost to Ricky Hatton. In all those years since the Hatton fight, Collazo has lost to Shane Mosley, Andre Berto and Freddy Hernandez, while beating mostly little known opposition until recently defeating a very rusty Victor Ortiz last January.

If Khan defeats Collazo, I still don’t think he would deserve a fight with Mayweather. If I’m Mayweather, I’d tell him he still needs to fight someone relevant before I’d face him. Collazo is a decent fighter, but he’s out of the game for far too long in terms of fighting quality opposition, and no, I don’t consider Victor Ortiz as a quality fighter anymore. I saw him as a borderline quality fighter several years ago, but he’s done nothing since he was clowned by Mayweather in 2011.

Mayweather is better off fighting Danny Garcia in September if he can get him to agree to take the fight. If not, then Mayweather should look to fight the winner of the Shawn Porter vs. Paulie Malignaggi fight. At least that’s a fight between relevant fighters. Khan needs to face someone like Keith Thruman or Guerrero before he deserves a fight against Mayweather in my view.

I see Collazo is pretty much the same caliber fighter as Julio Diaz, Khan’s last opponent. If Khan is going to take a fight against Collazo, then he might as well drag out Diaz again to try and clear up the controversy over their fight last year in London, UK. Khan won a 12 round decision, but many boxing fans had Diaz winning the fight. At least by Khan fighting Diaz, more fans would be interested in the fight than they would in seeing him face Collazo.

Read more at Robert Guerrero says Khan turned down fight with him

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Excellent piece by Nigel Collins.

The impact of a failed experiment

English pugilist Dutch Sam stood 5-foot-6, weighed between 130 and 133 pounds, and is credited with inventing the uppercut. Even though he trained on three glasses of gin a day and sometimes entered the ring drunk, according to no lesser an authority than Pierce Egan, Sam was "one of (if not) the best fighting man in the kingdom."

Nonetheless, despite his fighting prowess and widespread acclaim, Sam, who fought from 1801 to 1814, never became bare-knuckles champion. He was a victim of his time, a lightweight living in a heavyweight world.

From the dawn of modern boxing (during the early decades of the 18th century) until the middle of the 19th century, all prizefighters were lumped together regardless of size. If the same system applied today, Floyd Mayweather Jr. would have to fight Wladimir Klitschko if he wanted to be champion.

It wasn't until 1886 that Jack McAuliffe became the first lightweight champion, knocking out Billy Frazier in the 21st round. By then it was too late for Dutch Sam -- he died in 1816.

The advent of weight divisions was intended to ensure, as much as possible, that boxers were evenly matched and that ability, rather than size advantage, would decide the outcome. It was a noble idea and helped shape the sport's development, but the proliferation of weight divisions (now 17 and counting) was no panacea.

True, separate weight classes greatly benefited fighters below heavyweight, and that's a good thing. Even so, the concept also introduced plenty of new problems, some of which threaten to make a mockery of the notion of a fair fight.

The most recent scam is fighters buying their way out of making the contracted weight, as exemplified by the scandalous shenanigans surrounding Saturday's Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.-Bryan Vera match.

Full article. Boxing The impact of a failed experiment - ESPN

Jul 24, 2005
DANNY GARCIA: "I'M GOING TO BRING IT FOR PUERTO RICO"
By Press Release | March 13, 2014
DANNY GARCIA:

"I've never really had my own dates it's always been on another guy's date. We're focused, I know he's going to come to fight but we're going to get the job done...I'm going to win this fight for Puerto Rico. I train hard and had a great camp and I'm going to bring it for Puerto Rico," stated unified jr. welterweight champion Danny Garcia, who spoke to the media during an open workout at Amelia Municipal Boxing Gym in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico in advance of his fight with jr. welterweight contender Mauricio Herrera this Saturday, March 15, at Cloliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. Check out what else he had to say!

DANNY "SWIFT" GARCIA, Unified Super Lightweight World Champion

"I've never really had my own dates it's always been on another guy's date. We're focused, I know he's going to come to fight but we're going to get the job done.

"This is a dream come true, I've received a very warm welcome.

[On whether or not there is a language barrier] "I understand Spanish, but it took me coming here to get my confidence up and it's bringing me closer with my culture.

"I just want to keep the Puerto Rican tradition of champions alive.

"I'm going to win this fight for Puerto Rico. I train hard and had a great camp and I'm going to bring it for Puerto Rico.

"I sparred with all undefeated prospects, a bunch of tough kids. They kept me working and getting better.

ANGEL GARCIA, Danny Garcia's Father and Trainer

"Herrera can bark all he wants, but a dog that barks doesn't bite. Dogs that don't bark, will bite, and Danny's not the barker.

"The State House honored Danny this morning and voted unanimously on him being a Puerto Rican. It feels good to get the love that he's received. He might be Latin-American, but he has got the blood of me and his mom and people are realizing that.

"Slowly but surely, like he became world champion, that's how we're going to earn our fans in Puerto Rico."

Jul 24, 2005
Golden Boy’s Problem with Floyd
March 6th, 2014 | Post Comment - 163 Comments
256Share 2 733Share 11Tweet

Mayweather Maidana Mayweather vs. Maidana marcos rene maidana floyd mayweather jr By Duke Pahulu: Floyd Mayweather Jr. (45-0, 26 KO’s) is set to face Marcos Maidana (35-3, 31 KO’s) on May 3rd at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. The threat of Amir Khan has been thwarted for now and instead Floyd is facing a deserved foe in Maidana.

Maidana has been on a roll since his after his welter debut against Devon Alexander. And with his last win against the favored Adrien Broner, Maidana has proven to be a top welterweight worthy of a shot. But the reason why Floyd even considered Khan as a reasonable foe had me scratching my head.

I know Khan is popular in the UK but he is still rebuilding from his KO from Danny Garcia. If Floyd wanted to boost UK numbers, he should have picked Kell Brook who is an undefeated natural welter in his prime. Nobody who saw Khan’s last bout against Julio Diaz came away thinking the kid is ready for Floyd. It’s the job of Golden Boy to build up a good fighter to make him a good b-side for Floyd. I thought they were heading on that track with putting Garcia-Matthysee on the Floyd-Canelo card.

The winner of that bout should have been in line for Floyd’s foe this May. Instead, Golden Boy put Garcia’s momentum on hold and gave him a stay-busy fight against an ESPN2 fighter. You can argue that Garcia is too small for Floyd. My counterpoint is that Floyd has already proven that big doesn’t mean better. And if Floyd cut the junk food and soda, he could make 140 and get the one Ring title he hasn’t earned in his career. That would have made him the second fighter other than Henry Armstrong to hold three Ring titles at once.

The ultimate point is that Golden Boy wasted an opportunity to build a proper foe for Floyd. Luckily, Broner-Maidana happened and made things right. But Golden Boy can’t rely on luck regarding Floyd’s next foe in September. They need to use the co-main event of Floyd-Maidana as an eliminator for Floyd’s September fight. If you want to be fair, the fight should be Shawn Porter-Keith Thurman. They are the two highest ranked welters other than the main event that Golden Boy has. But Golden Boy seems to have Khan on a pedestal and wants his next fight to be an eliminator for Floyd in the fall.

The problem is that it seems more likely that Khan wants an easier fight Porter or Thurman. And with Broner and Luis Collazo trading words with Khan, Khan may be going on an easier route to get Floyd. If Golden Boy is pushing for a Floyd-Khan showdown, they got to make Khan work for it. They shouldn’t just give him the fight based solely on his appeal. It’s funny that the guy that Danny Garcia used to put himself on the map is the guy being lazily groomed for Floyd. When Floyd went over to Showtime, Golden Boy should have made a plan on how to groom guys to make Floyd fights bigger events. They failed with keeping Cotto in the fold to secure a lucrative rematch. They put Porter and Thurman in position to compete but their names got no press when Floyd was looking for a fight. Instead, they allowed Khan a platform to hype up interest. The squeaky wheel almost got the oil. Let’s hope Golden Boy learned from this mess and set things straight to properly set up a deserving foe for Floyd in September

Read more at Golden Boy’s Problem with Floyd

Jul 24, 2005
AMIR KHAN SET TO SIGN WITH AL HAYMON
By Ben Thompson | March 13, 2014
AMIR KHAN SET TO SIGN WITH AL HAYMON

Sources close to the information have informed us that former jr. welterweight champion Amir Khan is indeed signing with influential adviser Al Haymon. Khan will join former welterweight champion Luis Collazo and light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson as the newest additions to Haymon's rapidly growing stable of fighters, which already includes Floyd Mayweather, Danny Garcia, Adrien Broner, Marcos Maidana, Lucas Matthysse, Devon Alexander, Peter Quillin, Leo Santa Cruz, Gary Russell Jr., Austin Trout, Erislandy Lara, Andre Berto, Sakio Bika, Chris Arreola, Deontay Wilder, and Edwin Rodriguez, just to name a few.

Khan is coming off of a winning, albeit a lackluster performance against former lightweight champion Julio Diaz, who dropped him in the fourth round of a fight that took place nearly a year ago. After sitting on the sidelines to no avail in hopes of securing a lucrative payday with undefeated pound-for-pound king Floyd "Money" Mayweather, Khan is now looking to move forward with his career. Though his next opponent has yet to be named, sources previously informed us that he will likely be fighting former welterweight champion and fellow Haymon stablemate Luis Collazo on the undercard of Mayweather vs. Maidana

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Something is in the works with Al Haymon like I said the other day he is signing EVERYONE. I mean, why do so manyppeople need a "personal advisor?" Of course he's really a manager but labels himself that for legal reasons (the Ali Act). But why the sudden rush to sign so many fighters? Lots of theories floating out there, time will tell.

Feb 10, 2006
It would be stupid if Schaefer and Haymon were to start a promo company. Bob arum, as crazy as he is, said that what GBP is doing is at the expense of a network that no one one watches and will dig them to the grave. I just can't see Schaefer and Haymon getting any backing, even if they were to merge with Floyd!