Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Vitali Klitschko Thinks The Judges Will Rob David Haye

By Andrey Krikunov

Next week Vitali Klitschko starts his full-time training camp for the bout with Kevin Johnson on December 12. Until December 6 the Ukrainian boxer will train in the Austrian mountains. Though the WBC heavyweight champion has been keeping himself in shape in Kiev as well.

“Everybody wants me to go someplace to prepare for the fight, - told Klitschko to 1+1 Channel. – But I have already started my preparation, if I’m talking to you now dressed in suit and tie it doesn’t mean that I don’t keep myself in shape. Every day at six in the morning I go to the gym for the training session”.

“The Americans send their contender again, - continued Vitali with irony – "They want to return the belt to their country. But I’ll do everything to retain this belt”.

Also Klitschko shared his opinion on the upcoming fight between Nikolay Valuev and David Haye for the WBA heavyweight title. Nikolay recently claimed that the Ukrainian tried to avoid meeting him at all costs. Vitali, in his turn, doubted the fairness of judges’ decisions in Valuev’s fights.

“I think this bout will go the distance, - told Klitschko – "Maybe Haye will look a little better than Valuev, but the judges will unwillingly hand the victory to Valuev by split decision. They’ll have to do it because the fight takes place in Germany, because Valuev is promoted by Wilfried Sauerland and Don King. Of course, I don’t know it for sure, it’s just my assumption that the bout will end this way.

To tell you the truth, I’ll be cheering for Valuev for one reason – he’s such a picturesque character to fight with

Jul 24, 2005
Tony Bellew Admits: "I Love Knocking People Out!"

By Terence Dooley

Tony Bellew dispatched 16-6 (15) Czech dangerman Jindrich Velecky in a single-round last Friday night. Liverpool’s light-heavyweight hope caught his man with a left hook before hammering home a series of shots and flooring Velecky, who went the distance with WBO super-middleweight title holder Robert Stieglitz in May, with a sweet right uppercut. Velecky beat the count but he made the mistake of glancing over to his corner and, consequently, was caught with a right hand, forcing referee Phil Edwards to end the fight at 1:28 of the round.

Bellew, 26, bellowed his delight after the stoppage came in, shouting the odds before an ecstatic Liverpool crowd. Tony, a three time ABA winner, is passionate about his career, and this sport, and he had expected a tough night’s work in this one. The early stoppage left him with a lot of energy to expend; he joked about his celebrations when I caught up with him on the phone.

“I’ve got the win and that is the main thing but I was just so shocked with the way it ended,” laughed Bellew. “I thought he would go four or five rounds and went a bit crazy, lost it a bit, at the finish. There is nothing better than knocking someone out – I can’t explain it or describe how it feels. If the guy goes down heavily I tone it down and just have a quiet word with myself but if he’s Ok I lose it and celebrate.”

Bellew went the distance the last time he fought in front of his hometown fans, labouring to a distance win over Jevgenijs Andrejevs at Everton Park Sports Centre, Liverpool in 2008. This time, however, Bellew was a man on a mission, and that mission, first and foremost, was to box his way into the fight.

“To be honest, I wasn’t looking for a knockout,” revealed Bellew. “The plan was not to trade with him and not to give him opportunities early. I was going to be patient and work the jab but I saw a few little mistakes and hit him with a shot. I was stunned to see his legs turn to jelly and I went for him. I never let guys off the hook – I’m a good finisher.

“I hit him with a good variety of punches and I was just so shocked, as I keep saying. I thought the gaps would come with the rounds but they came from the start and I hit him with everything. It shows people that I can punch but I also want someone to take my shots so I can show the fans that I can do both things [box and punch] equally well – but I’m not going to complain after a stoppage like that.”

Tony hopes to stay busy; he’s had three fights in 2009 and is now 10-0 (8 early). Bellew was hit hard by hand problems, the puncher’s burden, earlier this year; these problems are in the past, though, and ‘Bomber’ believes he is ready for the domestic dangermen.

He said: “I haven’t got a clue who I’ll fight next. I leave that to Frank, Dean [Powell] and Arnie [Farnell]. Obviously, I’d love someone like Danny McIntosh but my main goal is to keep winning. If that fight happens it happens but I have to keep winning, look good and force the fights. I called out Carl Dilks because he was saying that he’s the best light-heavyweight in Liverpool, so I’m just putting Danny McIntosh out there as he’s recently fought for titles. I’ll see what Frank does next. I just want to keep stepping up in class, fighting good guys and getting myself onto the road to fighting for titles.”

With five stoppages in six wins, Bellew is on a roll, the Evertonian will no doubt be targeting titles at some point in 2010 and a mouth watering match-up with Nathan Cleverly, the British and Commonwealth champ, could be a reality at some point down the line. In the meantime, however, Bellew will continue to do what he likes to do best – knocking out opponents and taking names.

Jul 24, 2005
Berto: "I Will Retire Shane Mosley, I Promise You That"

By Mark Vester

WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto and his January 30th opponent, Shane Mosley, have continued to trade words through their twitter accounts over the last couple of days. Mosley lashed out out with a promise to ruis Berto. Berto returned home from the WBC convention in Korea and returend some fire with some hard words of his own.

"I heard Berto was mad because I said I was gonna ruin his career, well I know the truth hurts sometimes," Mosley said. "I'm glad he signed the contract tho, so now I'm going to display what I started with Margarito. I'm dishin ass whupping's in 2010!"

Berto vowed to retire Mosley and put his career away for good. He made sure to take a few personal stabs at Mosley in the process.

"It's just funny to me how Shane Mosley got so tough overnight, do you'll peep that? He's talkin crazy to me, he runs up on Floyd [Mayweather Jr]. But I know what it is though. I've done a little reaserch on steriods and it says the drug makes you have crazy mood swings and feel bigger," Berto said.

"I hear his team is gettin it done on his end. So come Jan 30th I will retire Shane Mosley, I promise you that! Steriods is a hell of a drug! We can help you but the first step is to admit you have a problem

Jul 24, 2005
David Haye's "Top Five Insults" on Nikolai Valuev

By Mark Vester

British paper The Mirror ran a piece outlining the top ten insults that were spewed out by heavyweight contender David Haye. No surprise here; the top five insults were all directed at WBA heavyweight champion Nikolai Valuev. Haye challenges Valuev for the title on Saturday night in Germany.

1. (on Valuev)

"He is the ugliest human being I’ve ever seen in the flesh. I’ve seen ugly guys before in movies, but that’s probably the prosthetics. But I’m talking about, physically with no make-up. He’s the ugliest human being on Earth. He makes the Elephant Man look like Pamela Anderson."

2. (on Valuev)

“Valuev’s known as ‘The Beast from the East’ and there’s a reason he’s got that nickname. He’s a big, ugly, sweaty and hairy man from the Eastern bloc.”

3. (on Valuev)

"He is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. I have watched Lord of the Rings and films with strange looking people but for a human being to look like he does is pretty shocking.”

4. (on Valuev)

"All you've got to do is look at a picture of the guy and that speaks volumes. I consider him more of a circus show freak that happens to be boxing. He's an ugly type of fighter, he tries to lean on you, tries to brawl and comes out with a really hairy chest that gets matted and is disgusting. I've never been a big fan of the matted hair in my face."

5. (on Valuev)

"The size I am, I sort of come up to his chest and apparently the word around the campfire is that he doesn't smell too sweet. I've talked to a few guys that have been in the ring with him and they say that's the first thing they notice, just the stench. Hopefully he runs a cold tap over himself or someone hoses him down outside before he comes in

Jul 24, 2005
David Haye Provides a Distraction for Fight Fans

By Troy Ondrizek

Without David Haye, we wouldn’t know nor care about the happenings in Nuremberg this on Saturday night. On the same night, HBO is offering up the sequel to Chad Dawson and Glencoffe Johnson’s thrilling fight, leaving the “other fight” vying for our attention. The “other fight” consist of former cruiserweight champion David Haye taking on perennial fringe contender Nikolai Valuev.

Billed as "David vs. Goliath" the pay-per-view opens up with the utterly boring John Ruiz versus Adnan Serin and closes with the equally insipid Valuev. Haye hopes to grab some trinket hardware as well as some much needed fans as he faces the 7’0” Russian behemoth in his attempt to establish himself as a force and real attraction in the heavyweight division.

Haye has made more of a name for himself with his vocal assaults upon the heavyweight ranks more-so than with his fistic exploits. Goading perspective opponents with insults and enraging them with gory pictures of severed heads of siblings. Haye managed to bait the Klitschkos (Vitali and Wladimir) into fights with his extracurricular self-promotion.

Too bad those fights didn’t materialize, but in Valuev, Haye has found an easy and willing target for his auditory barrage. Can David back up his boastful claims, or will Nikolai silence the volatile Haye? These surprisingly captivating questions are the only reasons this fight has intrigue; and the only reason they’re being asked is because of David Haye and his antics. A miniscule amount of people want to pay money to see Nikolai Valuev fight; David Haye draws the boxing voyeur out in all of us.

His last outing against the legendary Evander Holyfield, Valuev was a non-existent participant in the affair. It didn’t come close to resembling a fight, and the only thing worse than the action was the decision. Dan Rafael opined that it was easier to argue that Holyfield won all twelve rounds than it was to argue that Valuev actually won the fight.

I’m not sure if I should be proud of this, but I can honestly say I stayed awake throughout the entire bout. I scored the fight 117-111 in favor of Holyfield and I was being extremely generous to Nikolai. Previous to that Valuev did “battle” with John Ruiz who has been in one entertaining fight his entire career and it lasted 19 seconds. Fights with Sergei Liakhovich and Jean Francois Bergeron rightfully went in Valuev’s favor, but he failed to impress.

I know how much flack Valuev takes from the press, and all of it is deserved. However, he handles it all with dignity and keeps on working on his craft as diligently as he can. His aesthetically displeasing style and penchant for receiving dubious decisions makes it hard to take him and his career seriously. We are taking this fight very seriously though.

For it is the coming out party for the electric cruiserweight kingpin David Haye. We’ve seen Haye win his two previous heavyweight bouts by knockout, but Tomasz Bonin and Monte Barrett aren’t two guys who will catapult you to legitimacy. David was scheduled to take on Wladimir Klitschko earlier this year, but pulled out once Setanta Television went under. It was supposedly an injury, but they were the only means for which Haye was going to be paid for that fight; it didn’t make any fiscal sense to continue.
Then Haye landed Vitali as an opponent in what could’ve been a very entertaining and significant heavyweight fight, but Haye managed to leave another Klitschko at the ring-post and then proceeded to sign to fight Valuev.

The respect that David lost in his disappearing acts with the Klitschkos can be partially recovered with an impressive performance Saturday. It’s something that Haye desperately needs and desires as he moves forward with his quest to emulate Evander Holyfield. He was the first undisputed cruiserweight champion and the former heavyweight champion that turned a decorated amateur career into a championship cruiserweight stint. Holyfield won the title at 190lbs and immediately moved onto much greener financial pastures at heavyweight where he flourished during the 90’s heavyweight boon as a two-time champion.

Its Holyfield’s blueprint that Haye wants to follow in terms of monetary rewards, the legacy would be a bonus. David is employing a completely different method than Holyfield. Holyfield drew the big fights and fan’s attention because he was all substance; Haye at heavyweight is all fluff. Evander exhibited substance in the ring by pummeling respected Pinklon Thomas and he went toe to toe in a memorable war with Michael Dokes. David is throwing verbal “Hayemakers” and very few punches, which has left him out of much of the boxing conscious.

His shenanigans has drawn the ire of many opponents and critics, but they have also drawn some much needed attention to a rather ho hum fight. When I saw the pics of the Valuev inspired boxing mitts, I admit I laughed. This is reminiscent of how Muhammad Ali carried himself for the media. When you can back it up, people will give you a pass on the immaturity, it almost becomes endearing. Haye gets somewhat of a pass because he is a former world champion and we know there is definite skill there, but it’s time for him to prove his worth to the heavyweights and to his remaining fans.
Nikolai Valuev is a genuinely nice guy, but there is just no place for him in the boxing world, with his size he should be used to that. All eyes not focused on Dawson/Johnson II will be on David Haye this weekend, just as he intended. Now it’s time for the charismatic Brit to make us want to endure his gestures in future promotions.

Side Notes: The un-televised undercard of this event features some talented young up and comers. Kubrat Pulev (2-0, 2KO) is being pushed fast as he faces off against Gbenga Oloukun (17-2, 10KO), who holds a recent victory over faded Lamon Brewster. Robert Helenius (9-0, 5KO) was a very solid amateur and now he is racing along as a pro. Who is his tenth pro bout goes up against the very able Taras Bidenko (26-3, 12KO), the biggest and most recent name on Denis Boytsov’s ledger.

Sergei Liakhovich is making a comeback on this card against the overmatched insurance salesman Jeremy Bates. Not exactly the type of fight to get Sergei back into the swing of things; it’ll give him a W and a paycheck. Same can be said of talented young cruiserweight Alexander Frenkel (20-0, 16KO). I’ve wanted to see Frenkel face a top 50 guy. Not this time, Kelvin Davis is barely a name these days and I hope nothing happens to him here.

In a bout between two former sparring partners of mine, DeLeon Tinsley (9-4-1, 5K0) is looking to upset another prospect. Last one was Alfredo Escalera Jr. in a much deserved win, this time it’s Francisco Palacios (18-0, 11KO). Francisco has more talent, but I always pull for an upset on every card and DeLeon is one of the nicest guys to ever punch me in the face.

May 6, 2002
Fairly boring, one of those fights you look forward to...turns out to be a let down and you get kind of sleepy during the fight.

Haye got the decision moving backwards and in the champs backyard, very hard to do.

Haye tried to make it exciting, but what can you do when you have a monster in front of you? Haye to bring a lot more action with sizable opponents. A little life has been pumped into the HW division.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
I caught the fight at the beginning of the 6th round. Props to Haye for winning in Germany .. I still don't think he beats many people in the HW division and he's almost guaranteed to fight John Ruiz next considering the WBA's love affair with him.

Jul 24, 2005
Haye's Big Win Leaves More Questions Than Answers

By Oli Smith

The Heavyweight division. History has always held this at the pinnacle of boxing excellence, whether the best fighters in the game were plying their trade as Heavyweights or not, holding a piece of this title is always something special. As a boxing fan, it is always interesting to note how far the pendulum has swung since Tyson’s career ebbed away and Lewis hung up his gloves. No longer are biggest fights fought by the biggest men. The general public have of late, been captivated by dynamos that tear through weight category’s and reign in mythical pound for pound debates.

It has often been said that the Heavyweight division is in the doldrums, that the Klitschko’s are the best of a bad bunch, and the division needs to be rejuvenated or reinvented if it is to survive. Cue March 8th 2008 and David Haye dispatches fellow Cruiserweight champion Enzo Maccarinelli in two rounds to unify three of the major belts at the 200lbs limit. After the fight he issues a statement of intent, a run at the Heavyweight division that he claimed he could unify and rule with an iron fist. And then it went quiet.

Rather than rush into bulking up and risk losing his best asset – his speed – Haye went deep into training, surfacing in November 2008 to crush Monte Barrett in five rounds. And then it went quiet; again. Conspiracy theories abound as to why fights with the Klitschko brothers didn’t come off over the summer. The bottom line is, they didn’t. A fight with Nikolau Valuev seemed to come from nowhere, yet it would fit in far better with Haye’s rhetoric.

David Haye wasn’t shy in declaring his discontent about the shape of the division, or more accurately - the shape of the Heavyweights themselves. Fights with the Klitschkos didn’t really make sense six months ago. Valid arguments could be made that, Cruiserweight domination aside, David Haye hadn’t done enough to deserve a shot at the two best fighters in class. Valuev is a different proposition altogether. He doesn’t come in shredded like the Klitschko brothers. He is too big and cumbersome to be athletic, and he represents everything that Haye believes is wrong with the division.

It also helped that he has had his share of debatable decisions in the past; including Evander Holyfield’s crack at Heavyweight glory at age 46. Nothing needs to be put here about the build up to the fight. If you’re reading this article, you’ll already know all about it, and you’ll know that Haye talked a good game and made some interesting predictions. How much was self promotion and how much he actually believed we’ll never know. What we did know was the size of the task in front of him. All 316lbs of it.

Coming into the ring, Haye looked anything but the braggadocios upstart who promised a spectacular knockout victory, and perhaps it was the sense of occasion or the realisation of his life’s dream, but he sure looked nervous to me. As the bell sounded both men made their way to center ring. Valuev by dint of sheer size closed the gap very quickly indeed. A double jab from the champion allowed him to get the measure of Haye, who stayed quick on his feet and threw the occasional jab into Valuev’s midriff. Haye has promised all out attack, but gave a cautious, measured performance in the early rounds.

When opportunities presented themselves he sent stinging straight lefts and right hooks though Valuev’s guard and managed to land a few good shots to the Russian’s temple, all of which had little to no effect.

Nikolay Valuev never pretended to reinvent the wheel with his tactics in this fight. He played to his strengths by utilizing his underrated jab and cut off the ring all whilst trying to expend as little energy as possible.

Haye often speaks about his ability to take a punch, that his less than stellar chin is in fact an asset which makes fights that little bit more unpredictable, in the fourth round Valuev closed the distance and trapped Haye in the corner; it was to Haye’s credit that he didn’t let Valuev test the theory this time round. The challenger ducked way down and leant as far over as possible on occasion to ensure he stayed out of harm’s way.
Yet Haye never appeared to be as quick as he thinks and says he is, he ate his fair share of jabs as the rounds wore on and by the mid rounds, the endswell became a common fixture in the British corner. To say Haye isn’t quick is unfair, he is. And when Valuev throws a punch there is a lot of leather to get out the way of - he just never seemed stellar.

Valuev’s stamina has never been in question, he has gone the distance almost as often as he has gone home early, the general feeling pre-fight was that Haye could well be in trouble come the championship rounds. Having been 12 rounds just once before. He would need to manage his output carefully to ensure he wouldn’t run out of gas.

At the start of the eighth round both men engaged briefly and against the flow of the tempo that had been set up to that point. Haye was able to land a quick fire double, then turn Valuev on the ropes and go to work again. It just seemed to be too little too seldom. Very rarely has David Haye had to go on the back foot in his career. During this fight he spent the majority of his time going backwards and pot shotting Valuev when little openings presented themselves. Valuev meanwhile constantly stalked his man and looked to engage Haye at any opportunity.

Haye never showed signs that he was tiring, though breathing deeply when sat in his corner, once on his feet he retained the same energy throughout the fight. Going into the champion’s backyard and taking a decision almost always requires domination or at the very least enough effective aggression to steal rounds. Haye showed neither and would likely lament leaving anything in the tank should he not get the nod.

In fact as the fight entered the championship rounds it was Valuev who looked to excel as he upped the pace and hunted Haye with renewed vigour. A straight right landed flush for the champion in the eleventh as he closed the distance and started to load up his punches. A nice flurry at the end of the round for Valuev culminated with a left hook, he looked to be gaining momentum in time for the final stanza.

Both men came forward for the last time hoping to take the decision out of the judges hands. Valuev had the first attempt with a wild hook, his most vicious of the evening. It sailed just wide of the mark. Then Haye struck gold when first a right hand caught the champion flush on the chin, and then a one two combination landed flush and a follow up hook seemed to have Valuev in trouble for the first time in his career.

Sensing weakness like a predatory animal, Haye immediately jumped on his man, only to have the referee separate them both for overzealous punching behind the head. Once again Haye closed in and engaged, only this time Valuev had regained his composure and went back to his solid fundamentals. Haye circled round in the closing seconds, seemingly happy to run out the clock; it was a reoccurring theme of the evening. Haye looked to do just enough work to steal a round, then stay out of trouble.

If history tells us anything, it is that to get a decision away from home, especially in Germany, Haye needed to do more than get on his bike and wait for Valuev to make mistakes, he needed to create his own opportunities, which he only managed once - in the last round.

In the end his confidence in the judges wasn’t misplaced, as scores of 114-114, 116-112 and 116-112 gave Haye the championship by majority decision. Without doubt it is a historic win; he follows in the footsteps of Evander Holyfield who stepped up from Cruiserweight to become a Heavyweight champion. It is also a great win for British boxing, the first Briton to claim a piece of the Heavyweight title since Lennox Lewis.

Question marks will be raised about his method of victory this time out. Valuev certainly didn’t look like a beaten man, ironically he had received some dubious decisions off the back of bad performances in Germany. This time out and with one of his better performances, he has been on the wrong end of a very close and debatable call.

For what it is worth, I had Valuev one up on my card and a close friend scored the fight dead even. I didn’t think Haye did enough to dethrone the champion in his backyard. Scoring Haye four up implies that he won some rounds by landing just two or three scoring shots. Certainly not enough of a workrate in my eyes to get the nod over Valuev who had been relentless in his pursuit of Haye and was certainly the most aggressive man for large stretches of the fight. Perhaps a draw would have been the fairest outcome.

With the win Haye has realized a dream and takes a step closer to unifying the division he set out to conquer. He will need to be far better than he was tonight to make the next step. The Klitschkos are faster, more mobile and have a better defense than Valuev. Both have fearsome knockout percentages and neither allow mistakes to go unpunished. In truth it is the only logical move for Haye to make, the only choice that has to be made is which one first. Older brother Vitali has a defense against Kevin Johnson scheduled for mid December. Wladimir meanwhile is currently on the injured list and isn’t slated to make a defense at the time of writing.

Even as a newly crowned heavyweight champ, questions are still being raised about David Haye. Whilst he may have answered some tonight, many more have now been asked of him. Most pertinently; is he ready for either of the top dogs in the division? But the question that should be on most people’s lips is when will either Klitschko versus Haye be made? Only by fighting these two men will the questions truly be answered. Until then, Haye remains somewhat of an enigma.

Jul 24, 2005
David Haye Says: "I Will Knock John Ruiz Out"

By Mark Vester

WBA heavyweight champion David Haye is celebrating his big win from Saturday night in Germany. He defied the odds and won a majority decision over the 7'2 Nikolai Valuev to capture the title; becoming the first British heavyweight since Lennox Lewis to win the world crown. Per the order of the WBA, Haye must now defend the title against mandatory challenger John Ruiz of Puerto Rico. Ruiz is former two-time WBA champion.

Haye believes that he will be too fast for Ruiz. He predicts a another big win, by knockout.

"I don't think he is the most entertaining. He has won the world title before and you don't do that by being a bad fighter," said Haye. "I will be way too fast, I will knock him out."

Haye did not go through with his scheduled bouts against the Klitschko brothers, Wladimir and Vitali, but he plans to target both of them in 2010. Haye has long claimed the Klitschko were trying to trap him into multi-fight a contract. He wants to unify the heavyweight division.

"Anyone who has a belt is in my sights now - definitely the Klitschkos," said Haye. "The Klitschkos tried to lock me down in a crazy contract. I am free now to fight who I want to."

Jul 24, 2005
Vitali Klitschko: "I Will Knock David Haye Out"

By Mark Vester

WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko was a interested viewing party, watching David Haye capture the WBA crown from 7'2 Nikolai Valuev by way of a majority decision in Germany. Klitschko was due to fight back in September. The talkative British fighter withdrew from the bout and signed a deal for Valuev. Now both of them are talking the fight up. Klitschko says that he will fight Haye at any time and vows to knock him out.

"[I'll fight him] at any time and knock him out". Full congratulations [to Haye]. It was a good performance, a good points win. It was very close. It is a good fight for the future, maybe. I am ready to fight anyone in the world. I am ready to show to everyone I am the strongest in the world," Klitschko told Sportinglife.

Klitschko must first get past undefeated Kevin Johnson on December 12 in Germany. Haye must first beat his mandatory challenger, former two-time heavyweight champion John Ruiz.

"Let's bring it on and make it happen. I have got to get John Ruiz out of the way and then we can get a mega showdown next year," Haye told Sportsweek on BBC Radio Five Live. "Ruiz is the mandatory challenger for the WBA so if I don't fight him they'll take the title off me so I don't fancy giving up the title after winning it.

"So it will be John Ruiz [next] and hopefully that will be in the UK. I definitely want to have another homecoming fight ... it would be amazing if I could fight John Ruiz in London

Jul 24, 2005
Chad Dawson Leaves No Doubts In Return With Glen Johnson, Now Wants Bernard Hopkins

James Slater - Though the WBA heavyweight title fight that took place in Germany last night, between David Haye and Nikolai Valuev, has been getting most of today's headlines on the net, there was also a very important light-heavyweight title fight going on last night. In a rematch of their controversial April 2008 thriller, Chad Dawson and Glen Johnson got it on in Hartford, Connecticut.

And this time there were no doubts at all about who deserved to go home the winner. Fast southpaw "Bad" Chad did more than enough to take his 117-111 and 115-113 (twice) unanimous decision, as he proved to be way too fast, way too clever, and way too good for the always gutsy "Road Warrior.."

Always one, or maybe even two steps ahead of the 40-year-old, the younger man by a whopping 13 years never let Johnson into the fight. This meant the action was no way near as good as it had been when the two 175-pounders met almost two years ago, but Dawson proved, once and for all, that he is not only the better fighter of the two, but that he is possibly THE best light-heavyweight in the world today.

For Johnson, who fell to 49-13-2(33), the time to think about retiring may have come. Though he wasn't badly hurt in yesterday's fight, it looked as though age has at last caught up with the man who has quite simply fought everyone. Post-fight, the 40-year-old Jamaican uttered nothing about calling it a day; although he did say he is unsure about who he will fight in the future. After such a long and hard career, if he's in a financial position to be able to do so, Glen would surely take the best wishes of fight fans with him into retirement.

As for Dawson, who improved his record to 28-0(17), the future looks a whole lot brighter. Though he is never likely to become a genuine fan-favourite, who paying customers will flock to see in action, Dawson is a slick operator and it's tough to see any current light-heavyweights beating him.

Good men like Johnson, Antonio Tarver, Tomasz Adamek and Eric Harding have been out-boxed and defeated, and the southpaw's skills look sure to account for a good number of future opponents. A victorious Dawson said last night he'd like next to fight the legendary Bernard Hopkins, but that if he can't get "The Executioner" he'd like to face the Jean Pascal-Adrian Diaconu II winner. With B-Hop busy already - first against Enrique Ornelas in December, and then, if victorious, against fellow legend Roy Jones Junior in a rematch next year - it seems Dawson's chances of landing that fight are slim.

A Dawson-Pascal fight would be a good option, though, as would a Dawson-Diaconu showdown (the two were supposed to have met a while back of course). Also of interest to fans would be a Dawson-Tavoris Cloud match-up. So there are some good possible fights out there for the unbeaten 27-year-old who won the interim WBC 175-pound belt with last night's rematch triumph.

Again, he's not likely to be involved in too may fan-friendly wars - simply because, just like Floyd Mayweather Junior, that's not Chad's style or approach - but Dawson's dominance looks set to go on for some time. It's up to the likes of Pascal and Cloud to prove otherwise.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
posting alive in the flesh from the slums of cambodia!!

I was able to catch the david haye fight here, Im glad he won valuev is shit . he probably would lose to the klitschkos but hes got a punchers chance against wlad

pacquiao is all over the TV here, btw. hes a star everyweher

talk to yall in a 6 days or so hopefully if i make it

Jul 24, 2005
Mayweather, Cintron Blasted Over Pacquiao Steroid Claims

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao’s conditioning expert Alex Ariza has blasted trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr and former welterweight champion Kermit Cintron who once again raised the claim that the boxing hero was using steroids, saying “ I don’t know whether I would listen to anything from anybody who never graduated from high school.”

In a telephone conversation from Las Vegas where Pacquiao is tapering off for his “Fire Power” showdown with WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto at the MGM Grand on Sunday, Manila Time, Ariza said “they don’t know the difference between supplements and steroids. Ask them whether they know how to distinguish between the two.”

Ariza said “everybody knows that Cintron got a gift against Sergio Gabriel Martinez of Argentina” when the fight was declared a twelve round majority draw earlier this year. Ariza said Cintron “got hit so hard he thought he got a head-butt while Mayweather has problems formulating a sentence. Misery loves company.”

He disclosed that Pacquiao weighed in at 145 pounds after a light workout at the IBA gym and we are where we want to be and everything is going perfect.”

Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer informed us that the Commission will test Pacquiao and Cotto for steroids and any performance-enhancing or prohibited drugs.

Kizer, a respected lawyer who serves as NSAC legal counsel before being named executive director said the tests on Pacquiao and Cotto would follow the usual routine of being done before and after their “Fire Power” showdown at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Kizer reiterated his previous statement to both Viva Sports and ABS-CBN that Pacquiao had been tested prior to and after all his previous fights and was negative for any steroids or illegal substances.

At the same time Kizer informed BoxingScene.com, insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports that he had “just got the purse amounts” for the two boxers. He said that based on the bout contract filed with the NSAC, Pacquiao’s purse would be $7.5 million while Cotto’s purse would be $4 million.

However, we have learned that several million dollars would be earned by both fighters from an expected pay-per-view bonanza and other ancillary rights.

Pacquiao himself is known to receive over $1 million from Solar Sports for the Philippine TV and pay-per-view and other ancillary rights.

Solar Sports will telecast the fight on GMA 7 and also at the 18,000 seat Araneta Coliseum, home of the famed “Thrilla in Manila” on October 1, 1975 and the country’s Mecca of sports and entertainment.

Four giant screens have been set up on all four sides of the big dome where fans can get a clear view of the exciting action “live” from Las Vegas with no commercial interruptions. The fight card will also be telecast in several stadiums, theaters, restaurants, bars and other venues across the nation.

Jul 24, 2005
Malignaggi, Diaz Vow Victory in December 12 Rematch

JUAN DIAZ, Former Three-Time Lightweight World Champion

"I'm very excited to be here in Chicago...all the people here treat me like I'm a real Chicago resident. I decided I liked it so much, I may adopt it as my second hometown." (Diaz then held up a Chicago Bears jersey.)

"I'm not going to dwell on the past. The past is the past. This time around, it's a different city and a new and different game plan.

"To be honest, fighting Paulie after coming off fighting Future Hall of Famer Juan Manuel Marquez, I was not taking Paulie seriously and thought it was just another fight."

"This time, it's personal, and on December 12, the whole world will feel my anger."

PAULIE MALIGNAGGI, Former Junior Welterweight World Champion

"I'm excited to be in Chicago, this city has produced great boxers and great boxing fans."

"I'm really happy I got the rematch...I made enough of a stink after the first fight to help get me the rematch."

"The reason this fight is so great is the boxing styles. Juan is a pressure fighter and I'm a defensive boxer, so it makes for a great show where you sit back and wait to see who can execute their game plan better."

"We are going to clear everything up on December 12."

DAVID ITSKOWITCH, COO of Golden Boy Promotions

"The fight in August was hotly contested and some times called controversial."

"Now, you have one guy trying to right a perceived wrong and one guy trying to put an exclamation point on something he already knows."

"When you have a fight like that, it brings the best out in both fighters."

LOU DIBELLA, President of DiBella Entertainment

"With an Italian-American and a Mexican-American fighting on the card, you have a recipe for a great night of boxing in Chicago."

"I know after the first fight I said some things to Juan that were inappropriate because he is a good guy, but I wanted to do everything in my power to get my guy the rematch."

"Whatever you think about the first fight, it is clear it was a competitive fight and we know it's going to be again."

WILLIE SAVANNAH, Manager of Juan Diaz

"Juan and Paulie put on the fight of their lives in August and you can expect the same in December.

"Juan is in tremendous condition and he honestly looks the best that he ever has."

DOMINIC PESOLI, President of 8 Count Productions

"Chicago is a great boxing market and we are excited to have a big HBO card like this here for all the great boxing fans."

"The prices are very reasonable, so you won't want to miss out on this fight.

RON PUCCILLO, Director of Athletics of the Illinois State Athletic Commission

"We are so proud to have both of these guys fighting in our town."

"It's going to be a great night and everyone knows that boxing is much better live in person, and this is a fight you will not want to miss."

Jul 24, 2005
Team Paul Williams: "Kelly Pavlik Did The Correct Thing"

By Rick Reeno

When George Peterson surfed the internet on Monday night, he was stunned to learn that WBO/WBC middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik was scheduled to fight in Youngstown on December 19 against Miguel Espino. Pavlik had been scheduled to fight Paul Williams on October 3. Pavlik was plagued by a staph infection in his left hand; forcing him to withdraw from the fight. The event was pushed to December 5. The staph infection continued to affect Pavlik’s ability to train. He was unable to make a fist with the left hand, and withdrew from the fight for a second time. WBC junior middleweight champion Sergio Martinez has stepped in as Pavlik’s replacement for the December date with Williams.

Peterson, trainer/manager of Williams, spoke with BoxingScene.com about Pavlik’s decision to fight Espino. For the last few months, Peterson has refused to believe the stories surrounding Pavlik’s staph infection. He was convinced then, and even more convinced now, that Pavlik was doing everything in his power to avoid the fight with Williams. Peterson doesn’t hold it against him.

“He did the correct thing for not taking the fight with Paul because all Paul does is spank butt. I have never seen anything like this before. Here is a middleweight who doesn't want to fight a welterweight. He aint fooling nobody. The boxing community knew the whole thing. We were telling them that all along. So there it is. Now the whole boxing community knows that he aint about nothing,” Peterson said.

“I was like, 'what in the world is going on.' Here is a man who was near his grave three weeks ago and now he [is] rejuvenated. All of a sudden since Paul signed a contract to fight Martinez, everything gets well. We know the deal. They didn’t do this [Espino deal] in no split second.”

Peterson doesn’t believe the fight will ever happen. And it doesn’t appear like Team Williams will be easily brought back to the table in the future.

“We set up three training camps for his ass. These training camps are expensive and time consuming. I would hate to see Paul get in the ring with him now after going through all that. We're over him now. We are concentrating on Sergio Martinez. Paul Williams aint about no lies in his camp. Paul Williams will go out and do what he does best - and spank that butt,” Peterson said.

Despite the numerous setbacks, Pavlik would like to fight Williams at some point in 2010. Members of Pavlik’s team told the press in Youngstown that Espino became their choice because Williams’ side refused to have the fight pushed back to December 19. Williams’ promoter Dan Goossen had a different take on the situation when speaking with BoxingScene.

“We wanted to fight on October 3, and he refused. We wanted to fight on December 5, and he refused. We would have been waiting here until December of 2011 for this fight to happen,” Goossen said