Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Fuck tomorrow .. I highly recommend people watch the Tomas Villa vs. Rogers Mtagwa fight that was on Telefutura tonight. Not a lot of defense but these dudes fought hard as hell and the win was extra impressive. I'll try to find it and throw it on megaupload if anyone wants to peep it. Shit was real dope.

Jan 14, 2006
^^^ yeah everyone was saying fight of the year.

tomas villa absolutely no defense but big turn around for mtagwa though i think everyone thought he was gonna get ko'd again in that last round

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
^^^ yeah everyone was saying fight of the year.

tomas villa absolutely no defense but big turn around for mtagwa though i think everyone thought he was gonna get ko'd again in that last round
It wasn't a great technical fight but Mtagwa was taken some punishment and was getting clobbered in the 9th. The announcers kept saying how these are the fights that ruin fighters and how the fight should be stopped .. even Mtagwa's corner was saying they weren't gonna let him get hurt after the 9th and he came out and blasted Villa.

Jul 24, 2005
Junior Witter - "I Shouldn't Have Got In The Ring That Night [Against Timothy Bradley

Junior Witter - "I Shouldn't Have Got In The Ring That Night [Against Timothy Bradley]"
by James Slater - Practically every fighter has an excuse he comes up with after suffering a loss. Unable to accept that he was simply beaten by the better man, the crushed warrior is capable of coming up with all kinds of imaginative excuses to explain his failure to win his fight. However, U.K boxer Junior Witter, the former WBC light-welterweight champion, is one boxer who has a genuine reason to give when explaining his last defeat..

Witter, defending his WBC crown against the unbeaten Timothy Bradley back in May, had been informed just days before that his father Walter had been diagnosed with lung cancer. With this shatteringly bad news on his mind while entering the ring, one can understand the fighter's claims that this was a big factor in his points loss. Indeed, speaking to The Sheffield Star yesterday, Witter said he really had no business getting in the ring that night.

"I shouldn't have got in the ring that night," Witter confessed. "I wasn't in the best mindset going in. People were telling me to pull out but I said I wouldn't do that. I didn't want to let my fans down. But I under-performed. I tried and thought I'd done enough. But I admit it wasn't me in that ring. The shock of what was happening to my dad was part of it.

"I didn't say anything until now because my dad is a private man. It's out now and I want to be honest with my fans. I tried burying myself in training but I peaked too early. You live and learn."

Thankfully, Witter's father is said to be making a good recovery and he will likely be at ringside for his son's comeback fight tonight in London. Opposing the former WBC champ, who still has plenty of self belief that tells him he will become world champion once more, will be Argentina's Victor Hugo Castro. Witter hopes a win will get him a step closer to regaining his belt.

"The Hitter is back," Junior said confidently. "I know what I've got to do. I'm out to destroy my opponents - and come next year I will regain my world title. [Ricky] Hatton is probably going to get beaten in his next fight or he will retire. Then that's [the chances of Witter and Hatton meeting as was always Junior's hope] over and done with. It's not that I don't want a piece of him. He doesn't want a piece of me."

It's true, a Hatton-Witter clash would have been extremely interesting. Such a fight looks all but never to happen now, though - if it ever did look likely. Instead, Witter must first get past 33-year-old Castro, 29-4(12) - and then he can focus all his attention on getting his belt back from Timothy Bradley. Rematch anyone?

Stopping the tough Argentine won't be an easy assignment tonight, however (Castro's only been stopped once, over four years ago) and Witter may well have to make do with a points victory

Jul 24, 2005
News: Roach Not Bugged by De La Hoya; WBC News - Pavlik Stripped?
“WE’RE GOING TO KNOCK HIM OUT IN NINE ROUNDS!” - World Famous Freddie Roach

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. (November 6, 2008) – In an exclusive video interview with FoxSports.com’s Mark Kriegel, two-time BWAA “Trainer of the Year” World Famous Freddie Roach, boldly predicted that his star pupil, WBC lightweight champion and boxing’s No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter Manny Pacquiao, would knock out Oscar De La Hoya when they meet on December 6, in a 12-round welterweight super fight..

“I’m so confident in Pacquiao in this fight...we’re going to knock him out in nine rounds.," said Roach "He [Oscar] gets quite tired at normal paces. Pacquiao doesn’t fight at normal paces. We’re going to push the old man…I love this fight!”

Other highlights of the interview include:

Kriegel: “Will the Mexican fight fan ever truly love Oscar De La Hoya?”

Roach: “No…They [Mexican fight fans] like fighters, not boxers. When the bell rings, the Mexican fans in the audience are going to be on Pacquiao’s side...The true Mexican fans love his [Pacquiao’s] style.”

Kriegel: “If styles make fights, then how are you going to win this one with Oscar De La Hoya?”

Roach: “Oscar can’t really stand the pace of a Manny Pacquiao, fighting three minutes of every round, attacking him, putting the pressure on this guy, taking away his height and reach advantage by getting close and fighting on the inside and work that body where Oscar has been weak his whole career. And at this stage of Oscar’s career, he’s busted up. He’s starting to break up. His face in the Forbes fight, he was all banged up after that fight. He had a broken cheekbone…and this guy [Forbes] can’t even punch.”

Kriegel: “How did you find out you were let go [by Oscar De La Hoya]?”

Roach: “I found out through the media that I was no longer the trainer and that he brought Floyd Sr. back and it was a little disappointing because Oscar had told me, one time, he said, ‘I’ll never fight without you in my corner again.’ It bothered me that he couldn’t tell me face to face.

To view the six-minute interview in its entirety, please click this link:

'Manny will KO Oscar'

"The Dream Match," the welterweight collision between two of boxing's biggest attractions, Olympic gold medalist and 10-time world champion “The Golden Boy” OSCAR DE LA HOYA and current Ring Magazine No. 1-ranked pound for pound champion MANNY “Pacman” PACQUIAO, is scheduled to take place on Saturday, December 6 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, the bout will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View, beginning at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT.

Promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank, Inc., presented by Tequila Cazadores and sponsored by Ceverza Tecate, DeWalt Tools, Full Throttle Energy Drink, and Southwest Airlines, the fight sold out in hours, making it the second largest grossing gate in boxing history.

The De La Hoya vs. Pacquiao pay-per-view telecast has a suggested retail price of $54.95, and will be available to more than 71 million pay-per-view homes. The telecast will be available in HD-TV for those viewers who can receive HD. HBO Pay-Per-View is the leading supplier of event programming to the pay-per-view industry. For De La Hoya vs. Pacquiao fight week updates, log on to www.hbo.com.

World Boxing Council News

World Boxing Council president Jose Sulaiman led the general assembly meetings at the WBC's 46th annual convention on Wednesday and Thursday.

Wednesday morning was devoted to ratings, which will be published soon. The afternoon was free, and many attendants toured the Panda Research and Breeding Base in Chengdu to see the Giant Pandas.

On Thursday, mandatory world title defenses were addressed.

Before the mandatories, however, President Sulaiman talked about boxer Daniel Aguillon, who passed away in October after a fight in Mexico City. He was the first ring fatality there in 56 years. President Sulaiman asked convention attendants to donate whatever money they could to help Aguillon's wife and two young children.

The response was extraordinary – WBC officers, Continental Federations and various committees, as well as several promoters showed great compassion and generosity by making donations that totalled $35,00.

President Sulaiman personally donated $2,500. WBC treasurer Juan Sanchez and WBC flyweight world champion Daisuke Naito each personally donated $1,000.

Rex Walker, president of the North American Boxing Federation and chairman of the WBC Youth Championships, pledged $1,000 from each organization. Chairman Mauro Betti donated $1,000 from the WBC International championships.

The African Boxing Union, the Asian Boxing Council, the British Boxing Board of Control, the European Boxing Union, the CIS and Slovenian Boxing Bureau, and the Oriental and Pacific Boxing Federation each donated $1,000. The Continental Americas Championships and the Caribbean Boxing Federation each pledged $500. The Central American Boxing Federation and South Amercan Boxing Federation donated $500.

Promoter Don King donated $3,000. Dino Duva and Ahmet Oner each pledged $2,000. Salvatore Cherchi, Gary Shaw, Thompson Promotions, Golden Boy Promotions, Warriors Boxing, Sycuan Promotions, Promociones El Jefe, Andrew Wasileski, Gankor Promotions, Nahkonluang Promotions, Virat Promotions, and Sinwancha Promotions each donated $1,000. Zuvillaga Promotions pledged $500.

WBC Counselor General at Large Avel Gonzalez personally donated $300, and Gus Mercurio and Dr. Alain Recto each personally donated $100.

Mandatory world championship defenses:

Heavyweight world champion Vitali Klitschko of Ukraine was approved to fight number one-ranked mandatory challenger Juan Carlos Gomez of Cuba in his next fight. If no agreement is reached during free negotiations, a purse offer will be held on December 19.

Cruiserweight world champion Giacobbe Fragomeni of Italy was approved to fight number one-ranked mandatory challenger Krzystof Wlodarczyk of Poland. If no agreement is reached during free negotiations, a purse offer will be held on December 1. An elimination fight was approved between number two-ranked Herbie Hide of Great Britain and number three-ranked Matt Godfrey of the United States.

Light heavyweight world champion Adrian Diaconu of Romania/Canada was scheduled to fight number one-ranked mandatory challenger Silvio Branco of Italy, but was injured in training and the fight postponed. It will be rescheduled when Diaconu is medically cleared. The winner has been approved to fight number two-ranked Glen Johnson of the United States.

Number one-ranked super middleweight contender Carl Froch of Great Britain is scheduled to fight number-three ranked Jean Pascal of Haiti/Canada for the vacant title. WBC world champions who win a vacant title are required to make two mandatory defenses. Number two-ranked Jermain Taylor of the United States has been approved to fight number four-ranked Jeff Lacy of the United States to determine the first mandatory challenger. Number five-ranked Karo Murat of Germany has been approved to fight number nine-ranked Marcus Johnson of the United States to determine the second.

Middleweight world champion Kelly Pavlik of the United States has been approved to fight number one-ranked mandatory challenger Marco Antonio Rubio of Mexico. Pavlik, however, has not payed the sanction fees for his last two fights. If the fees are not payed within 15 days, he will be stripped of the title.

Super welterweight world champion Vernon Forrest of the United States is in negotiations to fight interim champion Sergio Martinez of Argentina. A request was made to extend the free negotiation period, and the purse offer was rescheduled from November 14 to November 28.

Welterweight world champion Andre Berto of the United States has been approved to fight number one-ranked mandatory challenger Luis Collazo of the United States. An elimination fight has been approved between number four-ranked Carlos Baldomir of Argentina and number 13-ranked Jackson Osei Bonsu of Belgium. If Baldomir wins, he will become the next mandatory challenger. If Bonsu wins, he will need to win another elimination fight to become the next mandatory challenger.

Super lightweight world champion Timothy Bradley Jr. of the United States requested a voluntary defense against the winner of the December 13 fight, which is for the WBO title, between Kendall Holt of the United States and Ricardo Torres of Colombia,. The voluntary defense was approved on two conditions: that it takes place early enough next year so that Bradley can still make his mandatory defense in May or June, and that the fight is for only the WBC title. Number one-ranked Devon Alexander of the United States is the mandatory challenger.

Number one-ranked lightweight contender Edwin Valero of Venezuela has been approved to fight number two-ranked Antonio Pitalua of Colombia for the interim title. If no agreement is reached during the free negotiation period, a purse offer will be held on December 1. Lightweight world champion Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines has not payed his sanctioning fee for his last fight. If it is not payed within 15 days, he will be stripped of the title.

The rematch has been approved between interim super featherweight champion Humberto Soto of Mexico and number two-ranked Francisco Lorenzo of the Dominican Republic for the vacant world title. Soto has not paid his sanctioning fee for his last fight, however, and will be stripped of the title if it is not payed within 15 days. If the fee is paid, the rematch will take place and final elimination bouts will be scheduled to determine the two mandatory challengers: the first between number one-ranked Urbano Antillon of the United States and number three-ranked Thong Por Chokchai of Thailand, and the second between number four-ranked Rocky Juarez of the United States and number five-ranked Humberto Gutierrez of Mexico.

Featherweight world champion Oscar Larios of Mexico will be inactive while he heals from a severe cut in his last fight. An interim title fight has been approved between number one-ranked Elio Rojas of the Dominican Republic and number-two ranked Yuriorkis Gamboa of Cuba.

Super bantamweight world champion Israel Vazquez of Mexico will be approved, when is medically cleared, to fight number one-ranked Rafael Marquez of Mexico. Interim champion Toshiaki Nishioka of Japan has been approved to fight number two-ranked Jhonny Gonzalez of Mexico.

Bantamweight world champion Hozumi Hasegawa of Japan has been approved to fight number one-ranked mandatory challenger Vusi Malinga of South Africa.

Super flyweight world champion Vic Darchinyan of Australia has been approved for one voluntary title defense. Number one-ranked Devid Lookmahanak of Thailand has been approved to fight number two-ranked Evans Mbamba of South Africa to determine the mandatory challenger.

Flyweight world champion Daisuke Naito of Japan has been approved for a voluntary defense next month, then must fight number one-ranked mandatory challenger Ponomrunglek Kratingdaeng of Thailand. The winner of that fight must next fight number two-ranked Julio Cesar Miranda of Mexico.

Light flyweight world champion Edgar Sosa of Mexico has been approved to fight number one-ranked mandatory challenger Juanito Rubillar of the Phillippines.

Strawweight world champion Oleydong Sithsanerchai of Thailand has a voluntary defense scheduled in two weeks, and interim champion Juan Palacios of Nicaragua is fighting in Chengdu on Friday night. The winners of those two fights have been approved for a mandatory title fight

Jul 24, 2005
Don King Started The Pacquiao vs. WBC Controversy

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

American promoter Don King started the controversy that resulted in the damage to the image of Filipino ring idol and national treasure Manny Pacquiao as well as the Philippines itself at the 46th Annual Convention in Chengdu, China.

Golden Boy Promotions vice president and international matchmaker Eric Gomez told insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports that when the issue of a $20,000 offer by Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz as sanction fee for the “Dream Match” against Oscar De La Hoya was raised at the convention, King said such an offer was “a crime” considering Pacquiao stood to make between $15 to $20 million.

It was Gomez who was asked to clarify the issue and told the convention that the amount was nowhere near the figure mentioned and was “less than half” the $15-$20 million bruited about.

Gomez told us he “felt very bad that Manny was made to look like a petty thief. It was bad for him, bad for his image, bad for boxing because they ridiculed him before representatives from around the world and that’s a shame. He deserves more respect.”

Gomez said “I like Manny. He has done so much not just for Filipino fighters but Asian fighters and all boxers. He has opened doors and has been great for the sport.”

There is speculation that King who has signed up as Marco Antonio Barrera’s promoter as mentioned by Col. Bob Sheridan during the Barrera-Sammy Ventura mismatch in China on Friday night is manipulating to have Pacquiao stripped of the WBC lightweight title so Barrera can step up and try to win a fourth world title at 135 pounds.

The No. 1 ranked fighter in that division is Edwin Valero who is handled by influential Japanese businessman-sportsman Akihiko Honda although Valero has been cleared to fight only in Texas because of brain surgery years ago following a motorcycle accident.

The irony of the situation is that when we raised the issue of the Barrera-Ventura mismatch the WBC issued a statement effectively disowning the fight. The statement said the world organization "disclaims any responsibility regarding the fight" and noted that it was a Don King promotion and the WBC "had nothing to do with the Barrera-Ventura fight."

In an effort to assuage hurt feelings caused by his initial remarks and the reports that came out of the convention about Pacquiao and the controversy over sanction fees, WBC president Jose Sulaiman issued a press release in which he stated “ ‘We love Manny Pacquiao. He is our superstar. He is the pride of the WBC and he represents one of the most beloved countries in the world in the WBC, such as the great Philippines.".

Sulaiman went on to say "Mr. Pacquiao is very ill-advised and they are hurting his image and the people that helped open doors for him, without any knowledge of what is fair or what is not and those people advising Manny are not only not doing their right job, but they are hurting his image for what is the truth and with the intention to destroy the image of the WBC, as if we were beggars and belt merchants."

In conclusion Sulaiman said “We will always love Manny Pacquiao whether he stays or not, but we ask him to give consideration to the institution that opened the doors for his greatness."

Jan 14, 2006
It wasn't a great technical fight but Mtagwa was taken some punishment and was getting clobbered in the 9th. The announcers kept saying how these are the fights that ruin fighters and how the fight should be stopped .. even Mtagwa's corner was saying they weren't gonna let him get hurt after the 9th and he came out and blasted Villa.
yeah the cornermen were screaming at him during the break of the 9th saying that if they saw that he was going to get knocked down again that they were going to stop the fight so obviously they werent so sure that Mtagwa was going to do anything to Villa.

Mtagwa looked kinda out of it too when he knocked villa out he just stood there. no expression on his face he didnt really even celebrate either.
hopefully he isnt too hurt.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Slumping economy behind cancellation of Telefutura's 'Solo Boxeo'

NEW YORK -- A month after ESPN2 canceled "Wednesday Night Fights," boxing fans must deal with another hard blow.

Spanish-language network Telefutura canceled its Friday night live boxing series "Solo Boxeo" because of the ailing economy. Although the show is one of the network's most popular series, it is one of its most costly and will end its run in December.

"It's a fact of life," Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com. "We are very disappointed. It was a long-running series and had a good following. It is unfortunate that due to this economic situation, fight fans are not going to be able to enjoy Solo Boxeo anymore. It's rather depressing."

The cancellation is a big setback for promotional companies Top Rank, Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions and Don Chargin Productions, which had a lock on the roughly 48 dates each year that paid a license fee of about $60,000 a week. Top Rank put on about 24 shows a year while Golden Boy promoted about 18 and Chargin six.

Like many businesses, Telefutura and sister network Univision, the largest Spanish-language network in the United States, have felt the impact of the slumping economy. The publicly held company run by business magnate Jerry Perenchio was sold for $13 billion in June 2006 to a private investment group headed by billionaire Haim Saban, but the downturn in the economy has battered the investment.

"Univision was acquired by a private investment group at the height of the market," Schaefer said. "It was a highly leveraged transaction. They used a lot of debt to acquire Univision and this debt has to be repaid. They have to go through very significant cuts to keep the company afloat, so they have to cancel a host of shows where they do the production, which costs them money. To produce a boxing show where they travel all over the country every week is a very expensive proposition. It's much more expensive than doing a show in a studio."

Univision Sports president David Downs, who created the series, could not be reached for comment, but Schaefer said he spoke with him Friday about the decision.

"David Downs was very down as well," Schaefer said. "The show was one of his babies. It really saddened him. He loves the sport of boxing and he knows its importance to the Hispanic audience."

Schaefer said he had already started looking for other opportunities to create a new show elsewhere.

"We still have a wonderful sponsor in Tecate, we have Oscar and an exciting young stable of fighters, so those are three important ingredients we can take to land somewhere else," he said.

Solo Boxeo debuted in August 2000 as a one-hour Sunday afternoon show on Univision before it was shifted to newly created sister network Telefutura in 2002 and into a two-hour Friday night time slot.

In October, Solo Boxeo aired its 400th fight card and has given numerous Hispanic fighters exposure on their way to greater stardom; fighters such as standouts Miguel Cotto, Antonio Margarito, Juan Manuel Marquez, Rafael Marquez, Juan Diaz and Kermit Cintron all fought on Solo Boxeo. Even some non-Hispanic fighters have been featured including Kelly Pavlik -- before he became middleweight champion.

The show also introduced broadcasters Bernardo Osuna and Ricardo Celis and ring announcer Lupe Contreras to the masses. Osuna was honored by the Boxing Writers Association of America with the Sam Taub Award for excellence in broadcast journalism in 2004.

This fucking sucks man. Especially coming off the heels of such a dope fight.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Damn Syko, Kickett got his ass flattened this weekend. Just got around to watching the fight and hadn't seen the result. KO'd badly in one round .. followed by a riot in the ring. People didn't take to kindly to Kickett losing heh.

Jan 14, 2006
WHAT?!! this is some really bad news how could they shut down Solo Boxeo? thats stupid really, all they want is shows you can do in studios so they can earn more than the billions they have greedy ass drones

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Looks like Kickett got a little overconfident in there, he was pretty much landing at will. But left himself wide open when he would throw. Tough loss.
It's a really bad loss. Kickett's not a big puncher and I don't know how much of a fanbase he has out there but it's going to be hard to get brought along now. Fight promoters are going to be looking to making him an opponent now.

I really liked Kickett for some reason. Really good hand speed, young and showed a lot of promise. Hopefully he comes back good from this. First aussie boxer I actually followed from the beginning and he goes and gets plastered heh.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
WHAT?!! this is some really bad news how could they shut down Solo Boxeo? thats stupid really, all they want is shows you can do in studios so they can earn more than the billions they have greedy ass drones
Agreed it really sucks. Solo Boxeo had fights bascially every Friday and they'd televise shows were 4 people were in the audience. They showcased a lot of good fighters and a lot of top guys that I watch now I first saw on Solo Boxeo. This, IMO, is a bigger loss than WNF. If Azteca America and Telemundo shuts down their fights I'm gonna shut down.

.. you get that channel tYc from Argentina? They stay showing local boxing on there .. really dope channel.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Bernard Hopkins: "No Interest in Jones Rematch, Roy Must Quit"

By Mark Vester

Bernard Hopkins has no interest in staging a rematch with Roy Jones Jr. He sat ringside at New York's Madison Square Garden and watched Jones take a beating at the hands of Joe Calzaghe. Jones won a decision over Hopkins fifteen-years ago and there was hope by both that a rematch could happen at some point in 2009, but the rematch was riding on a Jones win. Hopkins thought Jones looked terrible, old and feels that retirement is in order.

"I've never seen Roy look like that. He just didn't look healthy. I don't know if he wasn't feeling good, but he didn't look good. Physically he looked old. He face was shrunken. It looked like that against Trinidad. He just didn't look strong," Hopkins told boxing scribe Tim Smith of The New York Daily News. "I don't want to fight Roy, not after (Saturday) night. What's the point?"

Jones calls himself "Superman." Hopkins told Smith the Superman era is over because Jones' reflexes are no longer there to perform in the manner that created the Superman nickname.

"The things that he was able to do because he was Superman he can't do them anymore,"Hopkins said. "And those were the things that awed us with him - the fact that he didn't throw a jab and follow it and that he could throw that lead right from across the ring and land because he had such good reflexes -are the things that he can't do any more."

"Because he could do that and get away with it he never learned the basics. And when you get older and your legs go and you're not as fast as you once were that's what you go back to is the basics. He can't go back to it because he never learned the basics."

Hopkins doesn't think Jones has it anymore to be a force at any weight. He hopes his longtime rival will hang up the gloves and walk away before suffering a serious injury.

"I just hope Roy doesn't hustle his name and let them pimp him out. This is a cruel business," Hopkins said. "I think Roy should just roll out. I don't think he has the physical and mental ability to fight at any weight class - middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight. I think it's a wrap."

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I haven't seen the fight but Hopkins is the most intelligent fighter ever so if he says Roy is done then we gotta believe Roy is done. I never seen Roy cut before either.