Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Broner: I can’t wait to fight Amir Khan
date March 9th, 2015 | Post Comment - 58 Comments

Share the post "Broner: I can’t wait to fight Amir Khan"

102Facebook
18Twitter
2Google+

photo: amir khan adrien broner By Scott Gilfoid: Former three division world champion Adrien Broner (30-1, 22 KOs) took care of business last Saturday night in winning an easy 12 round unanimous decision over John Molina in a fight that Broner described as a “cake walk” at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. When interviewed after the fight, Broner said that he’ll be fighting on June 20th in his hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio.

When asked if he’d be interested in fighting Amir Khan, Broner said “I can’t wait. I’d even fight him at Wembley.”

I’m not sure if a Khan-Broner fight would be a big enough fight to be staged in the 80,000 seat Wembley Stadium, but I could see it taking place in the Wembley Arena. It’s a fight that could draw 15,000 to 20,000 fans depending on how well it’s marketed.

Khan has been talking about how he wants to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr and Manny Pacquiao for the longest of times. Unfortunately, without Khan having the fan base that he needs for him to get Mayweather and Pacquiao, he’s kind of left out in the cold. The thing is Khan would likely get a fight against one of those big superstars if he had Broner’s name on his resume in the win column. I mean, we saw how Marcos Maidana was able to get a big fight against Mayweather after he defeated Broner in their fight in December 2013.

Khan had been sitting back idly waiting for a fight against Mayweather in late 2013, but since his only recent wins had come against Luis Collazo, Julio Diaz and Carlos Molina, he was unable to get the fight. But beating Broner proved to be the deal clincher for Maidana to get the Mayweather fight. Khan doesn’t have a big name on his resume in his recent fights, so he’s kind of in a bad situation.

Khan’s win over Devon Alexander is pretty much meaningless, because Shawn Porter beat Alexander in a far more convincing and exciting manner than Khan did. That’s why the fight didn’t make any sense at all for Khan. Why would Khan choose Alexander as an opponent when he was recently beaten to a pulp by Porter? Khan put himself in a no-win situation by taking that fight instead of taking on a more relevant opponent like Keith Thurman, Maidana, Porter, Lucas Matthysse or Kell Brook.

“Adrien Broner is versatile; I can fight, I can box and I can bang,” Broner said. It’s going to keep getting better. As long as I keep shutting guys out…”

Khan should speak with his mutual adviser Al Haymon to see if he can line him up with Broner, because this is a fight that could potentially help both fighters. If Khan wins, he’ll likely get the big fight that he’s been yapping about against Mayweather or Khan. If Broner beats Khan, he’ll be one step closer to becoming a pay-per-view attraction. Broner needs to become a pay-per-view attraction for him to get the big money that he’s been talking about. He’s not going to get the huge money fighting on free TV.

Jul 24, 2005
Thurman vs. Guerrero peaks at 4.2m viewers on NBC in Premier Boxing Champions
date March 9th, 2015 | Post Comment - 65 Comments

Share the post "Thurman vs. Guerrero peaks at 4.2m viewers on NBC in Premier Boxing Champions"

121Facebook
11Twitter
3Google+

photo: robert guerrero keith thurman By Dan Ambrose: The Premier Boxing Champions card brought in huge ratings last Saturday night on NBC. The card, which was headlined by the bout between WBA welterweight champion Keith Thurman (25-0, 21 KOs) and Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (32-3-1, 18 KOs), peaked at 4.2 million viewers, making it the most watched fight broadcast since 1998 when Oscar De La Hoya’s Fight New broadcast on Fox brought in 5.9 million viewers.

The fact that the Thurman-Guerrero card was able to do so well is obviously a great sign for boxing, because it honestly wasn’t that big of a card. None of the three fights on the Premier Boxing Champions card that night were 50-50 propositions.

All the A-side fighters won their fights, as Thurman defeated Guerrero by a 12 round unanimous decision, light welterweight Adrien Broner easily beat a frightened looking John Molina, and featherweight Abner Mares defeated his old sparring partner Arturo Santos Reyes by an easy 10 round decision.

If mismatches like that were able to bring in good ratings, just imagine what a fight card would be like with competitive fights involving bigger names. It would likely bring in huge ratings. However, it’s going to require for Al Haymon, the guy who put the card together, to start looking to make some better fights instead of stacking the card with mismatches.

It would have been a far better card if Haymon had changed things around by matching Broner against Thurman, Mares against someone like Gary Russell Jr, and Guerrero against Paulie Malignaggi or Brandon Rios. Those would be competitive fights, and a lot more interesting than the fights we saw last Saturday.

Thurman defeated Guerrero by the scores of 120-107, 118-109 and 118-109. The fight showed us both the good at the bad of Thurman. His hand speed and power looked good. But his stamina, his inside fighting ability, and his willingness to stay in the pocket were the bad things about Thurman. He needs a lot of improvement if he wants to become a star because he can’t run from his opponents and expect to become a huge star in the future.

Next month NBC will be televising two decent fights between Danny Garcia and Lamont Peterson, and Andy Lee and Peter Quillin. Those fights are a little more competitive on paper than last Saturday’s card, but they still leave a lot to be desired.

Obviously, Garcia will beat Peterson, and Quillin will defeat Lee. A far better card would be a rematch between Garcia and Lucas Matthysse, and a fight between Quillin and WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin.

If Haymon wants to bring in the huge ratings on NBC, he needs to put together some better fights than the ones he’s doing. Even though Garcia has beaten Matthysse already, it’s still easily a much, much better fight than Garcia-Peterson.

Garcia is getting Matthysse’s left overs in facing Peterson, because Matthysse already destroyed Peterson in just three rounds in their fight in May of 2013.

It wasn’t even a fight. Matthysse went through Peterson like he was sliced butter. That’s why it doesn’t make a lot of sense for Haymon to match Garcia against Peterson, because we’re talking about a guy who is seen as a paper champion in the minds of a lot of boxing fans.

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Good shit here. Kono is probably the weakest of the super flyweight champions, but should be cool seeing a Japanese star and a Japanese champion getting play on US TV.

Just a few days ago we reported that WBA had ordered the teams representing WBA Super Flyweight champion Kohei Kono (30-8-1, 13) and mandatory challenger Koki Kameda (33-1, 18) to negotiate a fight between the two men, or else purse would be demanding in early April.

Today we have been informed by a reliable Japanese source that that bout looks likely to head to the US and is also likely to be on free-to-air TV stateside as part of the "PBC" series.

The PBC, which kicking off we're actually writing this, is seen as being the biggest shake up in boxing in recent memory and is the brain child of American advisor Al Haymon. Haymon is an advisor to all 3 of the Kameda brothers and has given them a life line after all 3 men were essentially banned by the JBC from fighting in Japan.

With his power and financial resources Haymon is almost certainly going to win the purse bid if he can't lure Kono over to the US in the negotiations.

For Watanabe gym and the JBC this is going to be frustrating. Watanabe had planned to have a triple title show in May with Kono defending his belt, alongside stablemates Ryoichi Taguchi and Takashi Uchiyama, whilst the JBC will be further frustrated by the WBA.

This will also be horrible news for Rex Tso who will find himself frozen out of the WBA title picture if Koki can win the title.

Jul 24, 2005
Haymon Via Warrior’s Win Pursed Bid For Dirrell-DeGale 3.1M
Nestor Gibbs
By Nestor Gibbs March 10, 2015 1:59 pm
Related Articles

Broner-Malignaggi: Will The Winner Enter Maidana’s Ring of Truth 4 12.Jun
Evander Holyfield Favors Deontay Wilder over Bermane Stiverne 0 20.Dec
Mariana Juarez On Her Victory And The Future 0 12.Aug

Al HaymonLooks like good old Al Haymon really wanted James DeGale-Andre Dirrell to happen over the airways of his new PBC on NBC. Now for those that may not know, Haymon has been staging his fights under boxing licenses of other promoters hence Warriors Boxing bidding on this DeGale-Dirrell fight. Truth is warriors doesn’t have a dog in this fight.

This business is run on alliances, and that is what promoters like Lou Dibella and Warriors Boxing even Thompson Boxing have a working relationship with the most powerful man in the sport, Al Haymon.

PBC on NBC was successful in terms of ratings, so for James DeGale this is the Opportunity of a lifetime to be viewed by millions upon millions of boxing fans.

The purse bid for the Super Middleweight Championship contest between James DeGale and Andre Dirrell took place today, March 10, 2015, at the IBF office in Springfield, NJ. The bidders were Warriors Boxing Promotions and Matchroom Sport. The winning bid came from Warriors Boxing Promotions at $3,100,000.00. Matchroom Sport bid $2,105,000.00. The purse will be split 50/50. Warriors Boxing Promotion has until March 25, 2015 to submit executed contracts for this bout to the IBF and has 90 days to stage the contest.

Jul 24, 2005
Marcos Maidana: Amir Khan and Danny Garcia Are Who He Wants
Victor Salazar
By Victor Salazar March 10, 2015 8:32 pm
Related Articles

Bob Arum Hopes Floyd Mayweather’s Big Surprise Is a Fight with Manny Pacquiao Next Year 7 07.Aug
Rozier Promises Stevens Will Be Ready for N’Dam Tomorrow Night 0 30.Sep
Cotto on Negotiations with Canelo: ‘It’s Done in Oscar’s Mind and in Bob’s Mind but in Miguel Cotto’s Mind It’s Not’ 12 17.Dec

hi-res-456610497-marcos-maidana-celebrates-his-unanimous-decision_crop_exactMarcos Maidana has been idle since his lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in their rematch. But being with Al Haymon and all the platforms that are available to his fighters, don’t expect to see him out the ring for too long.

This past Saturday, PBC on NBC debut to great ratings. Maidana’s manager who was in attendance told Fighthype.com that this was the beginning of something great.

“Fans kept clamoring for great fights on clean air, what can you expect? This was great,” Contursi told Fighthype.com.

According to Contursi, Maidana is resting and preparing for his marriage. That’s something he had promised her last year. It was postponed because of both Mayweather fights. He’s planning his honeymoon in Las Vegas to be there for the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight.

But after that’s all said and down, Maidana is targeting a fighter who will be on the next PBC on NBC, Danny Garcia.

“We are targeting Danny Garcia because that’s the biggest fight,” explained Contursi. “He has something in his blood, the way he beat my fellow countrymen, Lucas Matthysse; he wants to take revenge for Lucas.”

Contursi says he wants that fight for Maidana next, and there’s no need for an interim fight, especially because Garcia fights next month and Maidana’s wedding is two weeks after.

“Marcos Maidana says he’s ready for that fight,” stated Contursi. “He doesn’t want any interim fights or tune-ups at all. After fighting Broner and Mayweather twice, at this stage of his career, he’s ready to take down another name.”

Amir Khan is another big name that doesn’t have a fight lined up. Contursi says he would love a rematch with Khan for Maidana, but Khan wants no part of it.

“We’re wasting our time because every time we request a rematch, he always refuses. If you analyze every time Khan goes through the media, he never mentions Marcos Maidana, he obviously doesn’t want that fight. If he wants that fight, all he has to do is call Al Haymon.”

Jul 24, 2005
Mikey Garcia Wants Champions like Danny Garcia, How Does He Get Them?
Mario Mungia
By Mario Mungia March 10, 2015 3:14 pm
Related Articles

Ramirez “I pick Mayweather but there’s a possibility Pacquiao can win the fight.” 14 29.Jan
Mayweather-Pacquiao New Information, Tickets and Undercard Revealed 5 23.Feb
Kevin Satchell Returns to the Ring Against Luke Wilton on March 6 0 11.Jan

Miguel_Mikey_Garcia300NF01I’m not a tremendously knowledgeable boxing historian. There are some historical facts I’m familiar with and I can discuss at great lengths certain aspects of the sport’s more ancient happenings, but I am certain there are better-educated historians with a knowledge of both the monumental and trivial facts of the past.

Despite my limitations as a boxing historian, I can remember a time when Mikey Garcia was an active fighter. They were great times filled with decent scraps and the hope for potential greatness on the horizon.

Rumors of Mikey’s return date have been circulating since November of last year and those reports have changed over the past few months, but all of them have pointed at a possible reconciliation with his promoter Top Rank followed by a potential fight in the coming months. The timetable updates with every month that passes, but we were all confident that Mikey would go more than a full year between his last fight and his next—he hasn’t competed since his successful WBO junior lightweight title defense against Juan Carlos Burgos on January 25th, 2014.

Despite the pressure from fans and media, Garcia is willing to remain inactive and leave money on the table in hopes of achieving a more secure deal with financial terms that he can be comfortable with.

The one bright spot is Garcia’s claims that he will move to 140lbs in his next fight. It can’t be known if his decision to jump up two weight classes is based on a physical necessity or whether it is some ill-conceived notion that he has to make a dramatic leap to satisfy is career trajectory.

Garcia spoke with Thaboxingvoice.com about moving up and his comments make it clear that he realizes he’ll have to move quickly upon his return to make up for the time he has lost, and he hopes to achieve this by taking on the best fighters in whichever division he decides to compete in.

“We’re actually thinking of moving up to 140lbs possibly in my first fight back,” Garcia told Thaboxingvoice.com. “I want to do 140 and just feel my body out, see how I adapt to that division. If I feel comfortable enough to come down to 135lbs, then I’ll be at 135, but if I feel comfortable at 140 then I’ll just stay there.

“I’ll establish myself at 140 and after a fight or two [in the 140lb] division then I want to go after the champions, and everybody knows who the champions at 140lbs are: it’s Danny Garcia, and you have [Lamont] Peterson.”

The problem with Mikey’s brave intentions is he is no longer in a position where his status lines up with his demands. I’m not saying Mikey is forgotten, not at all, but his layoff has left him out of any and all equations.

I won’t blame the improbable matchups suggested by Garcia on the fighter himself because the landscape of today’s sport leaves him with fewer options if he indeed stays with Top Rank for a lengthy period of time. Garcia knows this is the case and he is realistic about his options moving forward, although it would be ideal if he understood that not fighting, more than anything else, hurts his chances at receiving bigger opportunities.

“Those are the champions at 140 and if I stay at the 140 division those are the guys we want to go after, but it’s not that easy [with those fighters] handled by Al Haymon and if I am with a different promoter I’m probably not going to get it. Fans need to understand it’s not easy.”

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Well if they fight and at 140 we shall see. Its funny folks were in here clowning Khan for days after Garcia ko'd him and when he almost lost to Molina but after a couple wins and dominating Alexander I guess folks are back on his jock lol. Got Em!!