Bootlegging...pros and cons

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 7, 2003
it dont really take the money out of they pockets if it was never in it. you get fans you get cd sold and then you get money.

Pros: Its free, easy, quick, something to do, could be your anti-drug

Cons: Potentially could take money out rappers pocket, addicting, illegal, keeps bay in the state its been in the last 5 years.

either way its up to the eye of the beholder. people say they listen to it and if they like it they will buy it. i tired that method and it didnt work for me, cus i already had it burnt so why am i giong to pay for some artwork. but then after buying cds for years (i got like 500 plus bay cds over like 8 years) i think i put out enough money to feed a small community. anyways i dont like to download a cd but if its worth it or new i will buy it. Recents cds i have bought San Quinn- The Rock (which sucks IMO, fuck off and die). Ap.9- Bodyshotz, Izakane- The begining. shit i cant even call the last few i bought but i know theres been at least 5-10 in 2006. which aint bad. so far there aint been any cd in 2006 thats empressed me so far, and ive still dished out close to 100 bucks after tax. also i like copping old shit more then new shit.

May 9, 2002
Well we need to define "bootleg" first...

From what i understand..bootleggin is makin illegal copies and sellin them to make profit...

DL'n an album to listen to for yourself...or even passin out for FREE...isnt necassarily bootleggin...if you aint stackin off of it....

BUt i see what youre gettin at regardless....i DL to preview...i like i buy...i dont...i thank the lord i didnt break bread on it...

Aug 7, 2003
DubbC415 said:
all i can say is that u cant say u support an artist if u arent buyin their album.
you can if you show someone their music who wouldnt buy it by lookiing at it at the store. I turned my boy on to all the ghetto starz/mob figaz shit and thats all he buys. and he first heard them on a burnt cd. its rare yes but it does happen and he is a life long fan. which means he will buy more then one of their cds. and whats the difference if you sell them to people or give them to people for free? you aint making money but you still are doing the same exact thing without the income. either way its not good, but its here and its not going to go away.

Jan 19, 2006
playing some downloaded or burned mp3's you have is one thing

downloading buddies new album and selling it at 5$ a copy with a fake album cover print out is beyond greasy

Aug 7, 2003
one more thing then im done with this shit. this thread will be biased. only the people who have donwloaded shit will speak on this topic, and the people who havent, must feel really strong about people not downloading shit to really speak on this.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
at oh coy, u have a good point...and so thats how u show ur support...u woudlnt be a fan of someone who u thought dropped garbage.

@ hella numb, thats also a good point, if u turned someone onto it that will buy the album...i used to buy up everything and then kids would hear my cds and beg for me to let them burn shit...i was like fuck that if u like these rappers so much go out and buy it. or at least dont come to me expecting to burn u a copy when i paid for it.

Jul 16, 2004
honestly.... how many people u think actually go and buy an album after they download it off the internet?? even if they like it.. u think everyone runs out and buys it? majority prolly dont even if they still slap it

Aug 4, 2005
www.flossalini.com
Fuck bootlegging... unless it's mixtapes, the artist aint getting it from his label so he does it himself, or it'll never be pressed up again. I got the grimiest feeling when I logged on, downloaded the Twista album, and it had the back, front, and CD cover all zipped in a file with the MP3's(actually gave me an idea for the mixtapes). That was just plain out hating right thur. Share ya favorite song, enlighten a friend, but to give a nigga whole shit away like that is "Hating". Even worse becuz you aint making no money off it... or are you?

Apr 19, 2005
hella_numb said:
you can if you show someone their music who wouldnt buy it by lookiing at it at the store. I turned my boy on to all the ghetto starz/mob figaz shit and thats all he buys. and he first heard them on a burnt cd. its rare yes but it does happen and he is a life long fan. which means he will buy more then one of their cds. and whats the difference if you sell them to people or give them to people for free? you aint making money but you still are doing the same exact thing without the income. either way its not good, but its here and its not going to go away.
That still doesn't justify the fact that you get what you want (the music) while the artist doesn't get anything from you (money). Whether you turned 8 or 800 people on to a particular artists music, YOU still are in the wrong - don't get it twisted.

May 9, 2002
The Last Word said:
That still doesn't justify the fact that you get what you want (the music) while the artist doesn't get anything from you (money). Whether you turned 8 or 800 people on to a particular artists music, YOU still are in the wrong - don't get it twisted.
SO we as the public DERSERVED to get duped???

Dont we get trailors for movies?TV shows???Well now we get "trailors" for music...

People act like CD's cost .50...they dont...and when you COULD spend $100 a week EASY...dont you wanna know what the FUCK youre gettin???

Remember when JT was gettin over on everyone with the recycled shit???SO its the customers fault....right???

Apr 19, 2005
Oh Coy!Ocerto said:
SO we as the public DERSERVED to get duped???

Dont we get trailors for movies?TV shows???Well now we get "trailors" for music...
You're naive to think that you can equate "trailors" to downloading.

Gimme a break.

Oh Coy!Ocerto said:
People act like CD's cost .50...they dont...and when you COULD spend $100 a week EASY...dont you wanna know what the FUCK youre gettin???
To quote Riley Freeman:

"At what point does personal responsibility become a factor in this equation?"

So if YOU (the consumer) can't manage your money it's the artists fault ... right??? :rolleyes:

Oh Coy!Ocerto said:
Remember when JT was gettin over on everyone with the recycled shit???SO its the customers fault....right???
Give me more examples other than (and before) JT of cats recylcling and you might have a more valid point. What's crazy is that JT fucked it up for a lot of indie labels as well as pissing off fans...

Jan 27, 2006
U know.......Im real tired about how everybody getts all fucked up about this issue. I'll tell u ( or whoever cares 2 read this) what it really do. The Fan is NOT THE BAD GUY! Bootleging is not bad. Stealing from an artist is wrong and is never ok. The FAN is not the thief. THe Label is the one whoose been and is still the the one thats rippin off the artist. How is an artist only gonna get $2.00 from a $16-18 sale of a CD? WTF? Too many people eatin off their backs. At that profit rate, of course bootlegging hurts the artist pocket.
But the problem is the industry is pimpin artists like hoes. Rappers hold all the cards. Why is puttin a cd out independently so much better (profit wise) for an artist? Cuz now they gettin $3-4 from a $10 cd after payin costs, producers etc. Maybe even more. It just isnt gonna be national number though limiting their profit potential to a local or regional area where they got influence.
I dont know anybody that is a fan of sum1 that enjoys making sure their favorite artist starves or stays broke. I know people dont like buyin a CD for 15-18 bucks either. Cuz everybody would buy more cd's if they were cheaper. Shit I wanna go cop bout 3-4 right now, but I broke.
People have been bootleggin since u could dub a tape or record songs off the radio. U need bootlegging to reach new listeners so they can become new fans. Who buys a CD of an artist they know nothing about. Never heard their songs or anyone talkin bout how good they are. Not many people at $18.99 a fuckin cd, cuz once u open it up the store dont take it back. That makes people make sure they damn near like every song before they break bread.

Arist been gettin the raw end off the deal since always. But it not the fan who is enemy, its the people the makin shitty deals with. Artists need to unite as a whole and demand different.

Jan 27, 2006
What if there was a standard, where if u wanted 2 get music there was only one place 2 get it. A place owned by artists. A place where they get paid by how much they're downloaded, they way it sould be. If ur hot and puttin out alot of hot shit - then u gettin paid. If not then..... One place that every artist showcased their shit, all of it old and new. Not everybody in the U.S. buys CDs every month. So earning potiental is hard to project. If this place wwas offer as a subsription like HBO and could be added 2 the cable bill for lets say $2.99 a month. There would be more earning potential avalible than ever before cuz almost everyone has cable and who wouldnt add unlimited music downloads of any artist and their music for just $2.99 a month. That would be consistant revenue every month that could be divided up with artists by how downloaded they were that month. What an incentive! How much $ would be up for grabs?