Youth may find 'white power' taunt has a price - Felony or Freedom of speach

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 13, 2006
Martinez police are investigating a case brought by a woman who took her 10-year-old-boy on Sept. 27 to a skateboard park where a handful of white teens - egged on by one youth - shouted "white power" and waved a small Confederate flag in the air.

I sure hope the youth's friends got a laugh out of it because the Martinez boy who allegedly instigated the incident has been identified by authorities as a person of interest in the possible hate crime.

"It's not against the law to say 'black power' or 'white power,' but this sounds like a racially motivated incident to me, and that's why we took a report on it," said Cmdr. Gary Peterson of the Martinez Police Department.

"The (flag-waving) gesture and those words shouted, presumably at them, occurred in our jurisdiction," he said. "If you say something intended to intimidate because of race, that's technically a hate crime."

The trouble started soon after Kolondra Harvey and son Jayson Summers, who are of mixed race, arrived at the Martinez Shoreline Park. The trip to the skateboard park was an early birthday present for her son, who turned 11 two days later.

Harvey gave this account: About 15 minutes after arriving, she was chatting on her cell phone while her son skated with another young boy he'd just met. Two teen boys using obscene language walked past.

A few minutes later, she heard someone saying something, but all she could make out was the last word: power. She turned around and watched the teen she later described to police as the instigator ride very near her son and pretend to throw a shoulder as if to knock him off his board.

Over the next hour or so, the youth, now joined by friends, rode along the top edge of the bowl-shaped course and shouted "white power" at least two more times, Harvey said. The instigator led the call, and his friends responded with the same phrase, she said.

Harvey, who works as a program director at UC Berkeley, was disgusted by the display, but her son was having fun and oblivious to the fact that the comments were aimed at him and his mother. She said the youth who started it all left soon after, and she decided to wait for a friend who was running late.

When her friend arrived shortly after 2 p.m., she said they both watched as the troublemaker returned, this time waving a Confederate flag above his head. Harvey said he skated into the bowl, folded it neatly in his pocket, but pulled it out for display every time he passed within view of his friends - who had retreated to a nearby park bench.

"Is that really a Confederate flag?" Harvey said out loud, almost in disbelief.

That was the last straw for Harvey and her friend, who packed up their kids and belongings and promptly left the park.

On the way out, she said she flagged down a police officer, reported the incident and pointed to the boy, who was still there. The officer promised Harvey, who was now in tears, that the incident would be checked out - and then he drove off.

Harvey said she was so incensed that she e-mailed Martinez city officials and Martinez Police Chief Tom Simonetti's office, and the department responded quickly.

As it turns out, police patrols in the park are shared between Martinez police officers and the East Bay Regional Park District Police Department, and it is unclear whose officer Harvey flagged down.

The case has been assigned to a Martinez detective, and it's being investigated. By the end of the week, police could be prepared to ask Harvey and Jayson if they can identify their alleged assailant from a photo lineup.

That young man could find himself facing felony criminal charges.

"It won't be tolerated in Martinez," Peterson said. "We have people of all ethnic backgrounds in this city, and there has to be mutual respect for that diversity."

Not to mention risking your freedom and your family's reputation on a stunt that may have started as a teen dare or an immature attempt to impress your friends with your boldness, bravado and blatant stupidity.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/06/BARP1A0HAA.DTL

May 2, 2002
^^^^ hahahahah

I got white/native american and some spanish in my blood (got white skin). Hang out with a lot of natives and one of them is a really heavy set funny dude who use to always scream white power since middle school days. Ran into him blacked out a few years back with a brother in law and I guess we were yelling white power all night long...dont remember a thing but now I am called white power and where ever I see them or we go we end up yelling that shit around.

Of course we not serious about it, but it is funny when we are drunk

Feb 21, 2003
www.myspace.com
^^^^ hahahahah

I got white/native american and some spanish in my blood (got white skin). Hang out with a lot of natives and one of them is a really heavy set funny dude who use to always scream white power since middle school days. Ran into him blacked out a few years back with a brother in law and I guess we were yelling white power all night long...dont remember a thing but now I am called white power and where ever I see them or we go we end up yelling that shit around.

Of course we not serious about it, but it is funny when we are drunk
My bro be doing that shit all the time, & he Native too. We'll driving around town & he'll see some white trash & he'll yell out the window white power in the tone of a redneck...

Apr 25, 2002
My bro be doing that shit all the time, & he Native too. We'll driving around town & he'll see some white trash & he'll yell out the window white power in the tone of a redneck...
my fam be doin that , my partner who's a dark ass salvadorean lookin like he's straight out apacolypto and my other partner who's native go around every sayin white power .

Dec 29, 2008
i know everything is jokes in the open forum.

but this type of shit makes me sick.

racist ideas are handed down from one generation to the next. the kid didn't get those ideas from his own mind. his parents taught him to hate people and behave that way.

i don't feel very comfortable in suburbs and places away from big cities because of racist shit like this and i wouldn't raise kids in that environment. now go ahead back to making jokes.

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
hah i see kids in my town riding around in big ass trucks with a confederate flag hangin from the back...ive never understood it...ur not from the south, we're not in the south...so the only basis for someone in the bay area to have a confederate flag is a racist one. plain and simple that's a racist act.