Your current outlook on Rap?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

What is your current outlook on Rap

• Yes, I'm pleased with Rap right now.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • No, the shit is shit.

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters
May 8, 2002
I've listened to reggae like never before!

There's some good stuff out there, but few and far between. And we do sound like some old ass men but it was better in the 80s and the 90s

Saigon, Currensy, Big Boi, Jacka...

Apr 20, 2005
I think that faggot ass swag shit is garbage for one. No disrespect to yall Swaggermaniacs out there. Its cool. Swag or Die! Yay

They should have 3 categories in hip hop. gangsta rap, pop, and a category for talented mc's. And maybe Swag rap for the amount of time it may last.

Everybody has atleast 1 song thats listenable. Except for Soulja Boy

May 21, 2006
Your too open w/yuhr question, be more specific..

Mainstream wise: i haven't bothered to listen to the radio other than 90.5 KSJS. In other words the mainstream has been 100% completely irritating since at least 2008 and after, maybe even a little before that.

Underground wise: it's coo, but at the same time yhu gotta keep looking to find valuable music.

Jan 18, 2006
rap will always be popular but theres no such thing as a classic album these days so say what yall want albums just aren't put together as well as in the 90's. The best years for rap in general will always be 95/96. Don't matter where a rapper was from in these years its was pretty much guarranteed if u bought a rappers album u would be getting quality release.

As far as rap these days theres definitely a lot of good music still being made but its mainly cuz of the production where as in the 90's it was rappers flowing they ass off to simple beats so it was a better combination of both. For the most part rappers just don't ride the beat as well anymore and obviously there's foo's that can barely rap that are popular which is just laughable, even some bay rappers that are popular on here

Apr 21, 2006
as far as mainstream i think it is slowly movin out of that bubblegum sound. that trap rap is gettin corny and repetative aside from a few artists. people are just ready for some new shit overall and i think that time is near. lol @ mentioning autotune.. that shit is dead now... i hope no one is doing autotune tracks in 2011.

S.L.A.B

Hiphop-TV
Mar 26, 2006
hiphop-tv.blogspot.nl
Your too open w/yuhr question, be more specific..

Mainstream wise: i haven't bothered to listen to the radio other than 90.5 KSJS. In other words the mainstream has been 100% completely irritating since at least 2008 and after, maybe even a little before that.

Underground wise: it's coo, but at the same time yhu gotta keep looking to find valuable music.
This

Sep 3, 2002
YES, you are the one.

Well, the L.B.C Crew album was recorded in 1996 so it doesn't count. And I didn't really like the others you listed but OFWGKTA is indeed a breath of fresh air... Question is how long they can keep it up and whether they will not be smothered by their own success - hip-hop is full of examples of fresh new concepts coming out of nowhere being exploited/copied to death and quickly played out as a result, Das EFX having to change their rapping style because everyone were copying them around 1993-1994 coming immediately to mind; also, Wu, to which people often compare OFWGKTA essentially killed their own movement with too many side projects of low quality, etc. When you see Busta Rhymes rapping about raping his girlfriend in some dark basement over some insane beat, you know it has become too late...
You make a lot of good points. I will still count LBC Crew, all records are to some degree dated by the time they are released. All I know is I'm bumpin it, and lovin it, and it's 2011. I haven't caught the OFWGKTA buzz yet. I tried out a few songs and am still a little confused as to why this shit is tight.

Music progresses, it's not going back to that style....so if your sittin here wanting gangsta rap to make a comeback dont hold your breath. That shit's played the fuck out anyways and has pretty much became a parody of itself.
I don't agree really. I don't think gangsta rap is just a 90's thing. It fulfills a need in the listeners, that is time tested.
Besides it's still alive and well on this very website. As for hearing it on the radio? not any time soon. We won't see a DeathRow records probably ever again.

Anyways I see a good future for hip hop.
good